I am sitting here watching the Hairy Bikers in Cornwall, and am salivating for the food. I need to plan a long weekend sometime this summer. I have found some great trip reports – many thanks!
Can you get me started please on my planning?
First question: where should I base myself? I’d like a scenic town that has excellent restaurants, as I think I will base the visit around FOOD. Also, I won’t drive, as I haven’t driven since moving to London over three years ago, and would frankly be dangerous at this point, so somewhere that has lovely walks, or historic sites/homes that I can get to by taxi. I’d definitely prefer to be on the sea and smell that salty air.
Secondly: A gorgeous place to stay. I’ll probably be willing to splash out a bit, but recognize that weekend rates in Cornwall in the summer are probably astronomical. Could I get a gorgeous hotel /B&B for under £200 per night, or am I dreaming and should I up the budget? Are there any hotels you would recommend that have really good restaurants, or are at least within staggering distance from good restaurants, after I have consumed a whole bottle of wine at dinner?
Transportation: From London, how good is the train network? When there, I understand from reading the trip reports that public transportation is limited. Is there a good taxi network if I decide to travel to other towns?
Annhig and Janisj, you know I am I a looking for your input
I know I could get slammed for not doing my homework before posting, so forgive me in advance.
Bet regards ... Ger
I think I need a weekend in Cornwall!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 3 WEEKS IN SICILY - ITINERARY HELP
- 2 Paris Markets for a 5 Course Meal
- 3 Itinerary Suggestions for South of Spain and Portugal
- 4 biking in France
- 5 Venice: budget hotel for high school group?
- 6 Amalfi Coast in October
- 7 July in The Mezzogiorno – 3 weeks in Southern Italy: Amalfi Coast & Puglia
- 8 London for Free
- 9 RENFE train drivers strike: 12 and 15 September 2014
- 10 LEGAL PROCEDURE
- 11 RENFE- AVE link stopped
- 12 The elusive `Northern Lights` Where I go , they don`t!
- 13 LEGAL PROCEDURE
- 14 Terrorism in Europe
- 15 Trying to get a handle on our 19 days in Tuscany and Umbria
- 16 Anyone familiar with these Ile St. Louis apartments?
- 17 Northern Italy for Nature Lovers/Crowd Haters
- 18 Renewing our vows in Venice
- 19 Northern Lights in Scotland??
- 20 Madrid: Historic Homes & Gardens
- 21 Madrid: City Views
- 22 Spain Rental Car Logistics - Barcelona Train Station
- 23 London restaurants
- 24 Music and/or Favorite Day Trips, Barcelona
- 25 Flying Virgin Atlantic Premium Economy to London