I am sitting here watching the Hairy Bikers in Cornwall, and am salivating for the food. I need to plan a long weekend sometime this summer. I have found some great trip reports – many thanks!
Can you get me started please on my planning?
First question: where should I base myself? I’d like a scenic town that has excellent restaurants, as I think I will base the visit around FOOD. Also, I won’t drive, as I haven’t driven since moving to London over three years ago, and would frankly be dangerous at this point, so somewhere that has lovely walks, or historic sites/homes that I can get to by taxi. I’d definitely prefer to be on the sea and smell that salty air.
Secondly: A gorgeous place to stay. I’ll probably be willing to splash out a bit, but recognize that weekend rates in Cornwall in the summer are probably astronomical. Could I get a gorgeous hotel /B&B for under £200 per night, or am I dreaming and should I up the budget? Are there any hotels you would recommend that have really good restaurants, or are at least within staggering distance from good restaurants, after I have consumed a whole bottle of wine at dinner?
Transportation: From London, how good is the train network? When there, I understand from reading the trip reports that public transportation is limited. Is there a good taxi network if I decide to travel to other towns?
Annhig and Janisj, you know I am I a looking for your input
I know I could get slammed for not doing my homework before posting, so forgive me in advance.
Bet regards ... Ger
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 WWI Battlefields
- 2 Trip report: Derby, Whitby & the Scottish Borders (indy_dad's UK return)
- 3 Single Parent with Tweens London/Paris
- 4 Swiss Trains not on time and boats not run at all - great time
- 5 Switzerland
- 6 Switzerland for 2 weeks
- 7 Visiting Zurich
- 8 Notes on St. Petersburg
- 9 Haarlem or Amsterdam as Netherlands base?
- 10 Advice for Time in Cumbria and/or Yorkshire Dales
- 11 Accommodations Amsterdam under 175€
- 12 Our short trip to Austria, the Dolomites and Bavaria
- 13 Paris to Bordeaux
- 14 Iceland 3 day layover
- 15 10 Day Backpacking Itinerary
- 16 Spanish Basque Country Itinerary?
- 17 London's Fastest Urban Zip Line in Europe!
- 18 Getting to Naxos and Santorini
- 19 Train travel
- 20 Scotland, Ireland, Teenagers and road tripping, 2018
- 21 Postcards from Retirement - the Britan 2017 Edition
- 22 Cars, etc. in Florence, Bologna
- 23 A litle of the UK, some of Belgium and a bit more France.
- 24 DVD burning software
- 25 Pienza vs. San Gimignano for 4 nights?