I am sitting here watching the Hairy Bikers in Cornwall, and am salivating for the food. I need to plan a long weekend sometime this summer. I have found some great trip reports – many thanks!
Can you get me started please on my planning?
First question: where should I base myself? I’d like a scenic town that has excellent restaurants, as I think I will base the visit around FOOD. Also, I won’t drive, as I haven’t driven since moving to London over three years ago, and would frankly be dangerous at this point, so somewhere that has lovely walks, or historic sites/homes that I can get to by taxi. I’d definitely prefer to be on the sea and smell that salty air.
Secondly: A gorgeous place to stay. I’ll probably be willing to splash out a bit, but recognize that weekend rates in Cornwall in the summer are probably astronomical. Could I get a gorgeous hotel /B&B for under £200 per night, or am I dreaming and should I up the budget? Are there any hotels you would recommend that have really good restaurants, or are at least within staggering distance from good restaurants, after I have consumed a whole bottle of wine at dinner?
Transportation: From London, how good is the train network? When there, I understand from reading the trip reports that public transportation is limited. Is there a good taxi network if I decide to travel to other towns?
Annhig and Janisj, you know I am I a looking for your input
I know I could get slammed for not doing my homework before posting, so forgive me in advance.
Bet regards ... Ger
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Best 1 Day Bike Tour in Amsterdam
- 2 Self-Drive: Dublin to Shannon, or Belfast to Dublin
- 3 Another strike in France : 3-5 june, airports
- 4 IRetiremenrt Fantasy-Italy
- 5 Staying Long in Schengen Zone
- 6 Age limitation for car rental
- 7 Edinburgh-London-Paris in that order
- 8 Gas/Petrol shortages in France?
- 9 please revew provence agenda
- 10 The Impact of AirBnB in Paris
- 11 Rome to Venice - What to see in between ?
- 12 Bilbao airport-reliable car hire comapany?
- 13 German Train travel
- 14 Input on this 8 Day London Itinerary
- 15 Lake Como - basta!
- 16 Hiking in Tyrol Austria
- 17 Plug ins for London and Paris
- 18 holiday problem in Budapest
- 19 Could really use Swiss train travel help
- 20 When and how to book for a trip?
- 21 Visit Saint Rita Shrine in Cascia Italy
- 22 Need help getting from Paris to St Jean Pied de port
- 23 ROME!!!
- 24 Provence to Nice driving
- 25 Tour of La Scala, Milan