I am sitting here watching the Hairy Bikers in Cornwall, and am salivating for the food. I need to plan a long weekend sometime this summer. I have found some great trip reports – many thanks!
Can you get me started please on my planning?
First question: where should I base myself? I’d like a scenic town that has excellent restaurants, as I think I will base the visit around FOOD. Also, I won’t drive, as I haven’t driven since moving to London over three years ago, and would frankly be dangerous at this point, so somewhere that has lovely walks, or historic sites/homes that I can get to by taxi. I’d definitely prefer to be on the sea and smell that salty air.
Secondly: A gorgeous place to stay. I’ll probably be willing to splash out a bit, but recognize that weekend rates in Cornwall in the summer are probably astronomical. Could I get a gorgeous hotel /B&B for under £200 per night, or am I dreaming and should I up the budget? Are there any hotels you would recommend that have really good restaurants, or are at least within staggering distance from good restaurants, after I have consumed a whole bottle of wine at dinner?
Transportation: From London, how good is the train network? When there, I understand from reading the trip reports that public transportation is limited. Is there a good taxi network if I decide to travel to other towns?
Annhig and Janisj, you know I am I a looking for your input
I know I could get slammed for not doing my homework before posting, so forgive me in advance.
Bet regards ... Ger
I think I need a weekend in Cornwall!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Does cinque terre merit three days
- 2 Another Trip of Discovery of Feminine Charm with DW and DD the Younger
- 3 England and Scotland
- 4 Euro Quiz #4 - Europe's Ten Tallest Cathedrals...
- 5 No Starbucks in Italy?
- 6 Munich - (2) nights plus an extra evening - your suggestions?
- 7 Sweden, Denmark, Norway
- 8 Athens/Istanbul March
- 9 French open
- 10 Info requested for Paris, Strasbourg and Berlin
- 11 Suggestions for Scandinavian Movies, Radio and Music. Can you help?
- 12 Azores
- 13 Trains in Italy
- 14 How safe is "Combe Laval Road" or ROUTE DE GENTLY to drive a car?
- 15 London, Paris, Rome Trip Report
- 16 Visiting Exciting Turkey in the Throes of Restoration
- 17 What to do during Christmas in Paris?
- 18 Amazon 50% off sale on Rosetta Stone German
- 19 Christmas Market Battle: Vienna/Salzburg/Munich
- 20 Air pollution in Paris
- 21 tulips in the Netherland
- 22 Euro Quiz #3 - Europe's Ten Biggest Castles...
- 23 Switzerland to Ban Eating Cats and Dogs?
- 24 1 Month Europe (June 2015) with 3 children, ages 6-11
- 25 A nine day whirl through Istanbul and Cappadocia