I am sitting here watching the Hairy Bikers in Cornwall, and am salivating for the food. I need to plan a long weekend sometime this summer. I have found some great trip reports – many thanks!
Can you get me started please on my planning?
First question: where should I base myself? I’d like a scenic town that has excellent restaurants, as I think I will base the visit around FOOD. Also, I won’t drive, as I haven’t driven since moving to London over three years ago, and would frankly be dangerous at this point, so somewhere that has lovely walks, or historic sites/homes that I can get to by taxi. I’d definitely prefer to be on the sea and smell that salty air.
Secondly: A gorgeous place to stay. I’ll probably be willing to splash out a bit, but recognize that weekend rates in Cornwall in the summer are probably astronomical. Could I get a gorgeous hotel /B&B for under £200 per night, or am I dreaming and should I up the budget? Are there any hotels you would recommend that have really good restaurants, or are at least within staggering distance from good restaurants, after I have consumed a whole bottle of wine at dinner?
Transportation: From London, how good is the train network? When there, I understand from reading the trip reports that public transportation is limited. Is there a good taxi network if I decide to travel to other towns?
Annhig and Janisj, you know I am I a looking for your input
I know I could get slammed for not doing my homework before posting, so forgive me in advance.
Bet regards ... Ger
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Public Transportation in Vienna: Borderline Organized Crime
- 2 St Mont Michel, how much time do I need
- 3 Help in determining 2 weeks in Florence, Rome, and TBD location(??)
- 4 10 days in Italy - Suggestions?
- 5 Paris authorities raid suspected illegal vacation rentals in 1er & 6er
- 6 London, Edinburgh, Italy..HELP!
- 7 Cheap airfare to Europe?
- 8 16-Day Driving Trip in Sicily
- 9 Doobie in Amsterdam
- 10 Southern Italy with 3 teens for a week
- 11 Italy train question
- 12 Lake Maggiore
- 13 Norway Fjords
- 14 Possible itinerary - thoughts?
- 15 Honeymoon Plans London+Paris+??April-May
- 16 Castle Hunters on HGTV - anyone watch?
- 17 3 Days in the Black Forest
- 18 Desperate Help with Itinerary to Alsace/Alps/Provence
- 19 POST CRUISE IN ROME FOR 5 DAYS
- 20 Best Route Belmonte to Pinhao
- 21 Pera palace hotel Istanbul
- 22 My niece wants a one week student tour
- 23 Help with Basque Country in Spain and France
- 24 From Denmark to Balkan and around
- 25 England, Ireland, and France. What can I see in two weeks?