I am sitting here watching the Hairy Bikers in Cornwall, and am salivating for the food. I need to plan a long weekend sometime this summer. I have found some great trip reports – many thanks!
Can you get me started please on my planning?
First question: where should I base myself? I’d like a scenic town that has excellent restaurants, as I think I will base the visit around FOOD. Also, I won’t drive, as I haven’t driven since moving to London over three years ago, and would frankly be dangerous at this point, so somewhere that has lovely walks, or historic sites/homes that I can get to by taxi. I’d definitely prefer to be on the sea and smell that salty air.
Secondly: A gorgeous place to stay. I’ll probably be willing to splash out a bit, but recognize that weekend rates in Cornwall in the summer are probably astronomical. Could I get a gorgeous hotel /B&B for under £200 per night, or am I dreaming and should I up the budget? Are there any hotels you would recommend that have really good restaurants, or are at least within staggering distance from good restaurants, after I have consumed a whole bottle of wine at dinner?
Transportation: From London, how good is the train network? When there, I understand from reading the trip reports that public transportation is limited. Is there a good taxi network if I decide to travel to other towns?
Annhig and Janisj, you know I am I a looking for your input
I know I could get slammed for not doing my homework before posting, so forgive me in advance.
Bet regards ... Ger
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Greece Experts
- 2 Passport question - carry with or leave at hotel?
- 3 Short, one day trip to Sighișoara, what do you recommend?
- 4 France to stop making foie grois
- 5 Base City for N Europe Layover
- 6 Germany, May'16: Four seasons in three weeks.
- 7 The nieces take Bruce and Marija to Paris, Venice and London
- 8 Ireland driving itinerary
- 9 Greece Itinerary
- 10 Germany and Austria trip report
- 11 From London to Paris to US
- 12 Leipzig, Dresden, Meissen, Bautzen, etc.
- 13 Paris Museum Pass and Skip the Line
- 14 Venice, Maggiore, Jungfrau
- 15 Day Trip from Lausanne
- 16 Nice village, good restaurant, between Bologna and Florence?
- 17 Puglia
- 18 My greece vacation
- 19 Rome & Florence, 10-12 days or so
- 20 3 week Italy trip with 12 and 14 year old - 2017
- 21 Sevilla to Cordoba Day Trip: How many hours needed?
- 22 Naples or Genoa
- 23 Need Barcelona Gaudi Ticket Help
- 24 Rome to Positano
- 25 Itinerary help please!