I know this may be a matter only of personal preference, but I would like your input.
We are a 60ish couple, reasonably well-traveled, but not globe trotters by any means. We have been to Italy, France, Turkey, but never to the United Kingdom at all. Next spring (late April/early May) we are taking a two week "Best of Britain" tour with Rick Steves (we've done tours with them before and enjoyed them; DH refuses to rent a car and drive on the "wrong" side of the road for two weeks, so this is the only way to see England). The tour starts in Bath, goes into Wales, up to York, and ends up with about a day and a half in London. We plan to arrive a couple of days early to acclimate before the tour begins, and to see a bit more of London on our own.
Here's the question -- DH would like to go to Paris for about four days after the Britain tour (for about a total of three weeks of vacation time). We've been to Paris twice (but not for about 10 years now); DH wants to take the Chunnel, and we both love Paris. But, would we be wiser to just spend extra days in London, so we can grow to love it, too? With the Paris scenario we'd be in London about three days (on our own before the tour and then the tour's end) and the four days in Paris (minus the travel times). And, if we did spend extra days in London, should it be on the leading edge (third week of April) or at the end (second week of May) -- or is that even a consideration?
Costs of open jaw vs. RT flights and like that are not of concern.
Thanks very much!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Areas in Milan
- 2 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 3 http://supplementbase.com/nutraher-lean
- 4 Americans moving to Europe - Suggestions?
- 5 Perugia
- 6 Day trip to Lake Como from Milan
- 7 Ireland last minute recommendations
- 8 Ireland itinerary help please
- 9 No Periods in British Written English!
- 10 3-days Athens Itinerary, thoughts? Starting this Wednesday!
- 11 CDG much improved
- 12 Dublin or Amsterdam?
- 13 St Denis Cathedral
- 14 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 15 Versailles & musical fountains: Touristy or Magical? Skip it or Don't Miss?
- 16 Parma, Reggio or Modena for a year?
- 17 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 18 Travel from Madrid to Barcelona with a Side Trip?
- 19 Rouen Tour Companies
- 20 One Month in Italy - Where would you base yourself?
- 21 Booking through Loco2 Train
- 22 Ronda Wine/biking
- 23 Four Nights free after Monmouth, Wales & before London.
- 24 Italy bus or train
- 25 May get together in Paris