Blanca & Ian's Travels
Hungary - Trip Report - 2007
Hungary 2007: Budapest, Eger, Gyõr, Sopron, Vienna with lunch in Warsaw
This report can be viewed with pictures:
or on travelerstogo.com:
This trip was a homecoming for my Hungarian wife. She left as a child - hay wagon over the Austrian border - and her only trip back had been 33 years ago during the dark days of Communism. This trip was a combination of plain ole touristing mixed with family visits in various towns & villages sprinkled over northwestern Hungary.
June 13 - Depart Toronto via Frankfurt - Lufthansa
June 14 - Arrive Budapest
June 15 - 17 - Budapest
June 18 - Drive to Eger
June 19 - Eger
June 20 - Drive to Gyõr
June 21 - 22 - Gyõr
June 23 - Drive to Vienna
June 24 - 25 - Vienna
June 26 - 27 - Sopron
June 23 - Drive to Budapest
June 29 - Depart Budapest via Warsaw - Lot Airlines
We booked Aeroplan Reward flights with Star Alliance partners & used Hilton Honors Points for some of the hotel stays. Planning was started a year in advance with flights & hotels booked at that time. Our surprise trip to China in February (see ) had threatened to to derail this one, but we decided to follow through.
Hilton Budapest - Var District - Hess A. ter 1-3, Budapest, Hungary
Free with Hilton Honors
Accommodations: Very nice king-bedded room on the 3rd Floor - the Executive floor. Very nice 'American-style' room. Comfortable couch & chairs. Bathrobes & slippers. Shower stall & bathtub. The usual TV with channels from throughout Europe - (including my trusty BBC Europe), Safe, mini-bar, ice machine down the hall, in-house restaurants X 3, concierge. Very nice. The staff were excellent.
Superbly located beside the Matyas Church on the Buda Hill. The view from our room was breathtaking. We looked over the Fisherman's Bastion with the Danube River & Pest as a backdrop. Many restaurant choices were within walking distance but you have to remember what the locals say: "In Pest you will get double the portion at half the price of Buda".
The Negatives: 15 minute cab ride from Pest (1600F to near-river locations). To use public transport you must grab the bus in the square & it drops you at Ter. This is a major transit hub on the subway line. Remember if you use tickets - as opposed to a pass, you must get one stamped by the machines before every leg of a transit run.
Hungary: Trip Report 2007 with Vienna & Warsaw
Blanca & Ian's Travels
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 No points in Paris .....
- 2 3 AM Arrival in Santorini OK?
- 3 London Tube strike scheduled for Apr 28 (2 days) and May 5 (3 days). Help!
- 4 Experience with car service "Paris Cab" and others that have carseats?
- 5 Venice to Milan train tickets (for August travel) sold out already?
- 6 Getting to San Seb from Madrid
- 7 Advice for budget trip to Venice, espec trains & Groupons
- 8 Florence & Rome Itinerary, hotel, tour co. critique please!
- 9 Amsterdam / Belgium Itinerary
- 10 Madrid Tapas Tour
- 11 campsite availability in peak season - Spain/Portgual/France
- 12 Pronunciation
- 13 Special restaurants - recommendations needed
- 14 Greece--Crete or Peloponnis?
- 15 Anyone been to Rhodes,Crete,etc. over Christmas?
- 16 Crete/Santorini OR Positano/Capri - where to visit?
- 17 We saw a fox on Great Ormond St (and other sights up and down the Thames)
- 18 Two weeks in Paris ... how to fill?
- 19 Ireland 8 day Itinerary help
- 20 best time to book accommodation
- 21 Venice canal boats--best deals?
- 22 Mosquitos in Camargue---is it really that bad??
- 23 London visit
- 24 Long Weekend in Lisbon - Loved it!
- 25 50 and Fabulous in 2015---need help planning my trip to Amalfi, FINALLY