Blanca & Ian's Travels
Hungary - Trip Report - 2007
Hungary 2007: Budapest, Eger, Gyõr, Sopron, Vienna with lunch in Warsaw
This report can be viewed with pictures:
or on travelerstogo.com:
This trip was a homecoming for my Hungarian wife. She left as a child - hay wagon over the Austrian border - and her only trip back had been 33 years ago during the dark days of Communism. This trip was a combination of plain ole touristing mixed with family visits in various towns & villages sprinkled over northwestern Hungary.
June 13 - Depart Toronto via Frankfurt - Lufthansa
June 14 - Arrive Budapest
June 15 - 17 - Budapest
June 18 - Drive to Eger
June 19 - Eger
June 20 - Drive to Gyõr
June 21 - 22 - Gyõr
June 23 - Drive to Vienna
June 24 - 25 - Vienna
June 26 - 27 - Sopron
June 23 - Drive to Budapest
June 29 - Depart Budapest via Warsaw - Lot Airlines
We booked Aeroplan Reward flights with Star Alliance partners & used Hilton Honors Points for some of the hotel stays. Planning was started a year in advance with flights & hotels booked at that time. Our surprise trip to China in February (see ) had threatened to to derail this one, but we decided to follow through.
Hilton Budapest - Var District - Hess A. ter 1-3, Budapest, Hungary
Free with Hilton Honors
Accommodations: Very nice king-bedded room on the 3rd Floor - the Executive floor. Very nice 'American-style' room. Comfortable couch & chairs. Bathrobes & slippers. Shower stall & bathtub. The usual TV with channels from throughout Europe - (including my trusty BBC Europe), Safe, mini-bar, ice machine down the hall, in-house restaurants X 3, concierge. Very nice. The staff were excellent.
Superbly located beside the Matyas Church on the Buda Hill. The view from our room was breathtaking. We looked over the Fisherman's Bastion with the Danube River & Pest as a backdrop. Many restaurant choices were within walking distance but you have to remember what the locals say: "In Pest you will get double the portion at half the price of Buda".
The Negatives: 15 minute cab ride from Pest (1600F to near-river locations). To use public transport you must grab the bus in the square & it drops you at Ter. This is a major transit hub on the subway line. Remember if you use tickets - as opposed to a pass, you must get one stamped by the machines before every leg of a transit run.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Are Cappadocia Hot Air Balloon Rides Cold ?
- 2 Catalunya, Cathars and Castles (and vino!)
- 3 First Trip to Europe- Italy, Germany, Amsterdam
- 4 Portugal, What did you love there ?
- 5 Burgos vs Leon, Avila vs Segovia
- 6 ATM card woes in Dublin
- 7 Advice please! 4 weeks in Europe Dec/Jan
- 8 The Birthday Celebration in Italy!
- 9 Germany in 7 days
- 10 Trip report European honeymoon
- 11 London vacation, 1st time in UK
- 12 City Pass v. 2 for 1
- 13 Balloch to the Isle of Skye
- 14 Como or Bellagio
- 15 Norway and Copenhagen - 13 days
- 16 How would you piece these together?Piedmont,Tuscany, Bologna, Umbria
- 17 Dinge B&B
- 18 Zymax Male Enhancement @ http://klereumcol.com/zymax-male-enhancement/
- 19 Using verizon international data plan?
- 20 This is the this is not a novel study which exhibits all
- 21 Record breaking rain in Paris
- 22 Dordogne Delight
- 23 A special promotion in a special place to stay on Corsica
- 24 Help!!!!! I'm traveling alone, to Ireland this summer, is it safe?
- 25 Dordogne addenda
Hungary: Trip Report 2007 with Vienna & Warsaw
Blanca & Ian's Travels