My husband, my 18-month-old toddler, and I are headed to Greece in early September for one week with my mom and another week with just us and the baby. We'd like a relaxed itinerary that focuses on the culture and scenery. Some stop-worthy ancient sites and beaches would also be great. Museums aren't high on our priority list as we tend to get "museumed-out," but we'd check them out if there's a strong recommendation.
So for Part 1 (7 days w/Mom), I was thinking about doing a shorter version of Rick Steve's 14-day tour (http://tours.ricksteves.com/tours/greece-turkey/greece). Normally his suggestions are spot on for me, but the sightseeing priorities in this guide (Hydra, then Delphi, then Nafplio, then Olympia, then Kardamyli) are totally different from what sounds interesting to me. Am I missing something? Maybe my preferences have completely changed post-kid?
So here's what I've put together...any thoughts/advice on what I've kept/dropped from his itinerary?
-Athens: we land at 7:15pm and I'm thinking of renting a car and getting into Nafplio late instead of staying for just 1 night (would prefer to save Athens for the end of the trip to keep stress down before the flights on Day 8).
-Nafplio (3 days / 3 nights): Day 1 fortress hike or just hang out in old town. Day 2 & 3 Epidavros and/or Mycenae day trips, depending on how we're feeling.
-Kardamyli (3 days / 3 nights): The book puts this low on the sightseeing priority list, but after reading about how easy it is to slip into Greek country life here...it sounds like a better fit than Monemvasia (big rock), Olympia or Delphi (ruins), and Hydra (we'll get island time later). We'd hit the markets, cafes, parks...
-Athens (1 day / 1 night): explore, Mom flies home, we fly to Naxos/Santorini.
I look forward to hearing your opinions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Looking for the Holy Grail... in a Tour of Italy
- 2 Sent a postcard recently from Italy?
- 3 Vienna to Bratislava
- 4 Suggestions for Drive to Milan
- 5 Bologna, Florence, Venice 5 days
- 6 Venice - suggestions for hotels just after Easter - mid-April 2017.
- 7 Best European Cities for Walking Challenged
- 8 1 way ticket
- 9 Chip and Sign credit cards usage in europe
- 10 Scenic Driving Routes
- 11 pareja de hecho in Spain
- 12 Visiting Spain in January
- 13 Best area to stay in Valencia
- 14 What type of visa is right for me?
- 15 Paris---baguette question???
- 16 Europe in the Winter for a week
- 17 road trip from Dover to see the English countryside and castes
- 18 French immersion courses in France
- 19 How beautiful is Lisbon compared to other european ciites?
- 20 15 days in Europe starting and ending in Amsterdam
- 21 For Swiss Alps/Zermatt fans
- 22 Puglia & Matera in photos
- 23 Car Rentals
- 24 Spain and Portugal - when to Go
- 25 Two Capitals of Central Europe and an Interlude in Frankfurt
How would you adapt Rick Steves' Athens & the Heart of Greece tour?