My husband, my 18-month-old toddler, and I are headed to Greece in early September for one week with my mom and another week with just us and the baby. We'd like a relaxed itinerary that focuses on the culture and scenery. Some stop-worthy ancient sites and beaches would also be great. Museums aren't high on our priority list as we tend to get "museumed-out," but we'd check them out if there's a strong recommendation.
So for Part 1 (7 days w/Mom), I was thinking about doing a shorter version of Rick Steve's 14-day tour (http://tours.ricksteves.com/tours/greece-turkey/greece). Normally his suggestions are spot on for me, but the sightseeing priorities in this guide (Hydra, then Delphi, then Nafplio, then Olympia, then Kardamyli) are totally different from what sounds interesting to me. Am I missing something? Maybe my preferences have completely changed post-kid?
So here's what I've put together...any thoughts/advice on what I've kept/dropped from his itinerary?
-Athens: we land at 7:15pm and I'm thinking of renting a car and getting into Nafplio late instead of staying for just 1 night (would prefer to save Athens for the end of the trip to keep stress down before the flights on Day 8).
-Nafplio (3 days / 3 nights): Day 1 fortress hike or just hang out in old town. Day 2 & 3 Epidavros and/or Mycenae day trips, depending on how we're feeling.
-Kardamyli (3 days / 3 nights): The book puts this low on the sightseeing priority list, but after reading about how easy it is to slip into Greek country life here...it sounds like a better fit than Monemvasia (big rock), Olympia or Delphi (ruins), and Hydra (we'll get island time later). We'd hit the markets, cafes, parks...
-Athens (1 day / 1 night): explore, Mom flies home, we fly to Naxos/Santorini.
I look forward to hearing your opinions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Mennagio to Switzerland - 3 days....
- 2 Orange or other Spain SIM card available in Barcelona Airport?
- 3 Holland Itinerary
- 4 Iceland Trip Report
- 5 If Big Brother was Watching, This is What he Saw: Russia, 1984 (a really late trip report)
- 6 How to get to Giverny from Paris
- 7 Rome Airport Question!
- 8 Portugal Walking Tour
- 9 Dressing for Volksoper Opera
- 10 Were you in Europe in August? How crowded WAS it?
- 11 Hair Straightener
- 12 ATM Exchange Rate in Italy
- 13 Thanksgiving Trip from Land
- 14 Alternative to Florence for one night
- 15 Greenland from the Air trip report, photo gallery
- 16 I forgot my international driver permit
- 17 Authentic fishing villages Amalfi or Pugia
- 18 If you can travel anywhere, Where would you travel?
- 19 Milan / Venice / Tuscany/ Barcelona
- 20 A Wonderful "What to See Along the Route" Request: Scotland
- 21 Prague old town
- 22 Madrid/Camino Hike/Madrid + 5 nights?
- 23 Ordering in a Deli
- 24 Trip report part 2 Naxos
- 25 Seeking suggestions: Bavaria, Austria, Prague Trip in Fall
How would you adapt Rick Steves' Athens & the Heart of Greece tour?