My husband, my 18-month-old toddler, and I are headed to Greece in early September for one week with my mom and another week with just us and the baby. We'd like a relaxed itinerary that focuses on the culture and scenery. Some stop-worthy ancient sites and beaches would also be great. Museums aren't high on our priority list as we tend to get "museumed-out," but we'd check them out if there's a strong recommendation.
So for Part 1 (7 days w/Mom), I was thinking about doing a shorter version of Rick Steve's 14-day tour (http://tours.ricksteves.com/tours/greece-turkey/greece). Normally his suggestions are spot on for me, but the sightseeing priorities in this guide (Hydra, then Delphi, then Nafplio, then Olympia, then Kardamyli) are totally different from what sounds interesting to me. Am I missing something? Maybe my preferences have completely changed post-kid?
So here's what I've put together...any thoughts/advice on what I've kept/dropped from his itinerary?
-Athens: we land at 7:15pm and I'm thinking of renting a car and getting into Nafplio late instead of staying for just 1 night (would prefer to save Athens for the end of the trip to keep stress down before the flights on Day 8).
-Nafplio (3 days / 3 nights): Day 1 fortress hike or just hang out in old town. Day 2 & 3 Epidavros and/or Mycenae day trips, depending on how we're feeling.
-Kardamyli (3 days / 3 nights): The book puts this low on the sightseeing priority list, but after reading about how easy it is to slip into Greek country life here...it sounds like a better fit than Monemvasia (big rock), Olympia or Delphi (ruins), and Hydra (we'll get island time later). We'd hit the markets, cafes, parks...
-Athens (1 day / 1 night): explore, Mom flies home, we fly to Naxos/Santorini.
I look forward to hearing your opinions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Croatia, Slovenia, Austria with Preschoolers
- 2 Please help with 7 day itinerary for Croatia
- 3 Car Rental tips while in Greece?
- 4 Santorini - best place to stay in the Island
- 5 Public Transportation in Vienna: Borderline Organized Crime
- 6 Where is the best place/area to stay in Athens?
- 7 Would you give up time in Malaga for more time in Granada?
- 8 Italy - best two central locations
- 9 Vet my itinerary
- 10 Car hire Uk/Ireland
- 11 Paris authorities raid suspected illegal vacation rentals in 1er & 6er
- 12 Paris - Rome
- 13 Day Trips from Venice with Tweens / Teens
- 14 Planning a trip to Turkey
- 15 Istanbul - FOOD!
- 16 Croatia Driving Trip in March
- 17 Antiques shopping Rome
- 18 Andalusia itinerary comments & advice please!
- 19 8 days in switzerland
- 20 Good and not too touristy restaurants
- 21 daily itinerary ideas for southern Languedoc and Rousillon
- 22 Rome, Amalfi coast September/October help
- 23 12 Days in Italy
- 24 Health insurance coverage
- 25 Vintage trip report: Greenland, 1995
How would you adapt Rick Steves' Athens & the Heart of Greece tour?