My husband, my 18-month-old toddler, and I are headed to Greece in early September for one week with my mom and another week with just us and the baby. We'd like a relaxed itinerary that focuses on the culture and scenery. Some stop-worthy ancient sites and beaches would also be great. Museums aren't high on our priority list as we tend to get "museumed-out," but we'd check them out if there's a strong recommendation.
So for Part 1 (7 days w/Mom), I was thinking about doing a shorter version of Rick Steve's 14-day tour (http://tours.ricksteves.com/tours/greece-turkey/greece). Normally his suggestions are spot on for me, but the sightseeing priorities in this guide (Hydra, then Delphi, then Nafplio, then Olympia, then Kardamyli) are totally different from what sounds interesting to me. Am I missing something? Maybe my preferences have completely changed post-kid?
So here's what I've put together...any thoughts/advice on what I've kept/dropped from his itinerary?
-Athens: we land at 7:15pm and I'm thinking of renting a car and getting into Nafplio late instead of staying for just 1 night (would prefer to save Athens for the end of the trip to keep stress down before the flights on Day 8).
-Nafplio (3 days / 3 nights): Day 1 fortress hike or just hang out in old town. Day 2 & 3 Epidavros and/or Mycenae day trips, depending on how we're feeling.
-Kardamyli (3 days / 3 nights): The book puts this low on the sightseeing priority list, but after reading about how easy it is to slip into Greek country life here...it sounds like a better fit than Monemvasia (big rock), Olympia or Delphi (ruins), and Hydra (we'll get island time later). We'd hit the markets, cafes, parks...
-Athens (1 day / 1 night): explore, Mom flies home, we fly to Naxos/Santorini.
I look forward to hearing your opinions!
How would you adapt Rick Steves' Athens & the Heart of Greece tour?
- 1 Amalfi, Italy hostel - recommendation for college aged traveler?
- 2 New & Improved 2 Week Honeymoon Itinerary Italy
- 3 8-10 Night Italy Itinerary Please Help!
- 4 Hotel problems in Barcelona Gothic Quarter - Must Read
- 5 Paris in 8 days ALONE
- 6 Ordering wine in Paris
- 7 Rail 1st class tickets in Germany 2nd class in Switzerland
- 8 Ennis or Shannon for last night before flying out of Shannon Airport?
- 9 Train from Barcelona to Figueras, and Figueras to Perpignan
- 10 Southern Italy Itinerary- is this do-able?
- 11 3+ week trip to Amsterdam/Germany/Prague
- 12 3 Weeks w/ 6 year old in UK (The Trip)
- 13 My First Trip to Provence and Paris...Loved!!!
- 14 Paris May 23, 2013. What should I wear in Paris?
- 15 When to exchange US dollars to Euros
- 16 Foggia Day Trip
- 17 Cinque Terre card and train
- 18 Stay and Visit Italy/Amalfi and Grand Hotel Ischia Lido - Ischia
- 19 Places to visit south of Florence along A1
- 20 Retirement Vacation
- 21 London Evening Activity
- 22 Croatia Question: Korcula or Lastovo?
- 23 Help needed with ratp site for Paris bus and metro
- 24 Solo in Sicily - April 2013
- 25 Car rental