My husband, my 18-month-old toddler, and I are headed to Greece in early September for one week with my mom and another week with just us and the baby. We'd like a relaxed itinerary that focuses on the culture and scenery. Some stop-worthy ancient sites and beaches would also be great. Museums aren't high on our priority list as we tend to get "museumed-out," but we'd check them out if there's a strong recommendation.
So for Part 1 (7 days w/Mom), I was thinking about doing a shorter version of Rick Steve's 14-day tour (http://tours.ricksteves.com/tours/greece-turkey/greece). Normally his suggestions are spot on for me, but the sightseeing priorities in this guide (Hydra, then Delphi, then Nafplio, then Olympia, then Kardamyli) are totally different from what sounds interesting to me. Am I missing something? Maybe my preferences have completely changed post-kid?
So here's what I've put together...any thoughts/advice on what I've kept/dropped from his itinerary?
-Athens: we land at 7:15pm and I'm thinking of renting a car and getting into Nafplio late instead of staying for just 1 night (would prefer to save Athens for the end of the trip to keep stress down before the flights on Day 8).
-Nafplio (3 days / 3 nights): Day 1 fortress hike or just hang out in old town. Day 2 & 3 Epidavros and/or Mycenae day trips, depending on how we're feeling.
-Kardamyli (3 days / 3 nights): The book puts this low on the sightseeing priority list, but after reading about how easy it is to slip into Greek country life here...it sounds like a better fit than Monemvasia (big rock), Olympia or Delphi (ruins), and Hydra (we'll get island time later). We'd hit the markets, cafes, parks...
-Athens (1 day / 1 night): explore, Mom flies home, we fly to Naxos/Santorini.
I look forward to hearing your opinions!
How would you adapt Rick Steves' Athens & the Heart of Greece tour?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Siena - Pienza - Montepulciano
- 2 Accommodations in or near Brussels with parking
- 3 Another Walks of Italy question. Vatican tours. Have you taken one?
- 4 biking tours in Italy?
- 5 Bus Service Between Spoleto and Norcia
- 6 Capri 5 star hotel Tiberio Palace or Capri Palace with teen daughters
- 7 French Basque region
- 8 Transportation from Athens Airport to Syntagma
- 9 Sono arrivato a Venezia
- 10 Euro Trivia Quiz #12 - Know Your Rivers?
- 11 Bus Tour with a toddler
- 12 Italy Countryside
- 13 Trip to Central and Eastern Europe Aug 2015 (3-9 months)
- 14 VISA question
- 15 Italy, mid May, 10 days, Rome + another city?
- 16 Adventures in Italy with Momma
- 17 2 weeks Bavaria - December 2015
- 18 Help!! which tour company is the best for group tours in Italy?
- 19 Paris-Loire-Avignon-Barcelona itinerary (help)
- 20 Minimalist wardrobe for Europe
- 21 The Ghost of Christmas Future visited me..."Lead On"! Paris again...at Christmas.
- 22 France,Spain,Italy
- 23 Scotland November 2015
- 24 Which european city?
- 25 Hotel or B&B Recommendations for Chamonix, Lyon & Paris