My husband, my 18-month-old toddler, and I are headed to Greece in early September for one week with my mom and another week with just us and the baby. We'd like a relaxed itinerary that focuses on the culture and scenery. Some stop-worthy ancient sites and beaches would also be great. Museums aren't high on our priority list as we tend to get "museumed-out," but we'd check them out if there's a strong recommendation.
So for Part 1 (7 days w/Mom), I was thinking about doing a shorter version of Rick Steve's 14-day tour (http://tours.ricksteves.com/tours/greece-turkey/greece). Normally his suggestions are spot on for me, but the sightseeing priorities in this guide (Hydra, then Delphi, then Nafplio, then Olympia, then Kardamyli) are totally different from what sounds interesting to me. Am I missing something? Maybe my preferences have completely changed post-kid?
So here's what I've put together...any thoughts/advice on what I've kept/dropped from his itinerary?
-Athens: we land at 7:15pm and I'm thinking of renting a car and getting into Nafplio late instead of staying for just 1 night (would prefer to save Athens for the end of the trip to keep stress down before the flights on Day 8).
-Nafplio (3 days / 3 nights): Day 1 fortress hike or just hang out in old town. Day 2 & 3 Epidavros and/or Mycenae day trips, depending on how we're feeling.
-Kardamyli (3 days / 3 nights): The book puts this low on the sightseeing priority list, but after reading about how easy it is to slip into Greek country life here...it sounds like a better fit than Monemvasia (big rock), Olympia or Delphi (ruins), and Hydra (we'll get island time later). We'd hit the markets, cafes, parks...
-Athens (1 day / 1 night): explore, Mom flies home, we fly to Naxos/Santorini.
I look forward to hearing your opinions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Portugal itinerary suggestions (with Marrakech tossed in)
- 2 Frankfurt, Germany hotels
- 3 Tuscany Country Side OR Swiss Alps on bernina express in 1 day
- 4 Magical Greece. A 13 day jaunt across the Aegean
- 5 Changes in security at Schiphol
- 6 Euro Quiz # 106 - Countries Loving McDonalds the Most!
- 7 Tips To Get Schengen Visa For Full 90 Days From Toronto For Indian Citizens
- 8 Another Visit to London
- 9 Southern Europe Trip for New Travelers
- 10 Credit cards in Italy & France
- 11 8 days in Andalusia-what do you think?
- 12 Free: Sewing machine and coffee grinder...
- 13 Positano - Choosing a Hotel
- 14 Help- Advice or experiences traveling with a handicapped person?
- 15 Travelling From Seattle to Italy, Mid May
- 16 Switzerland and Northern Italy, 3 weeks
- 17 8 Day trip to Swiss and France
- 18 Where to Buy Affordable Scarves in Paris
- 19 Basque region of Spain and France in 10 days with kids
- 20 Athens to Delphi to Meteora to Thessalonki
- 21 Running of the Bulls 2016
- 22 Spanish air controllers strikes in June 2015
- 23 Puglia impressions, in brief
- 24 Rental car in Italy
- 25 Best Hotel in Tuscany?
How would you adapt Rick Steves' Athens & the Heart of Greece tour?