My husband, my 18-month-old toddler, and I are headed to Greece in early September for one week with my mom and another week with just us and the baby. We'd like a relaxed itinerary that focuses on the culture and scenery. Some stop-worthy ancient sites and beaches would also be great. Museums aren't high on our priority list as we tend to get "museumed-out," but we'd check them out if there's a strong recommendation.
So for Part 1 (7 days w/Mom), I was thinking about doing a shorter version of Rick Steve's 14-day tour (http://tours.ricksteves.com/tours/greece-turkey/greece). Normally his suggestions are spot on for me, but the sightseeing priorities in this guide (Hydra, then Delphi, then Nafplio, then Olympia, then Kardamyli) are totally different from what sounds interesting to me. Am I missing something? Maybe my preferences have completely changed post-kid?
So here's what I've put together...any thoughts/advice on what I've kept/dropped from his itinerary?
-Athens: we land at 7:15pm and I'm thinking of renting a car and getting into Nafplio late instead of staying for just 1 night (would prefer to save Athens for the end of the trip to keep stress down before the flights on Day 8).
-Nafplio (3 days / 3 nights): Day 1 fortress hike or just hang out in old town. Day 2 & 3 Epidavros and/or Mycenae day trips, depending on how we're feeling.
-Kardamyli (3 days / 3 nights): The book puts this low on the sightseeing priority list, but after reading about how easy it is to slip into Greek country life here...it sounds like a better fit than Monemvasia (big rock), Olympia or Delphi (ruins), and Hydra (we'll get island time later). We'd hit the markets, cafes, parks...
-Athens (1 day / 1 night): explore, Mom flies home, we fly to Naxos/Santorini.
I look forward to hearing your opinions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Helps!! 8days Switzerland ittinerary...
- 2 Amalfi Help: Logistics and Planning
- 3 One Month in Italy - Where would you base yourself?
- 4 Looking for a unique 3 days in Venice
- 5 Scotland and London 21 days
- 6 8-9 day Paris-Amsterdam-Rome
- 7 Quick Barcelona Info needed for next week please
- 8 AVE Train Advice from Madrid to Barcelona
- 9 Venice
- 10 Italy - to return home from Naples or Rome?
- 11 A new species of Homo Sapien??
- 12 help with Italy itinerary
- 13 3 Month Europe Itineray -- please critique
- 14 Ireland last minute recommendations
- 15 Frustrated about Smolensk
- 16 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 17 5 countries in 5 weeks - family trip
- 18 Itinerary Advice London and Paris with 2 Adults 2 Children (7 and 8.5)
- 19 London Air Pollution Reaches Record Modern Highs...
- 20 Travel from Madrid to Barcelona with a Side Trip?
- 21 Semana Santa Other than Sevilla
- 22 A week in Verona - day trip suggestions?
- 23 Restaurant recommendations for lunch in Dijon?
- 24 madrid-san sebastian-barcelona
- 25 Mantova, Ravenna, Ferrara fall 2017?
How would you adapt Rick Steves' Athens & the Heart of Greece tour?