My husband, my 18-month-old toddler, and I are headed to Greece in early September for one week with my mom and another week with just us and the baby. We'd like a relaxed itinerary that focuses on the culture and scenery. Some stop-worthy ancient sites and beaches would also be great. Museums aren't high on our priority list as we tend to get "museumed-out," but we'd check them out if there's a strong recommendation.
So for Part 1 (7 days w/Mom), I was thinking about doing a shorter version of Rick Steve's 14-day tour (http://tours.ricksteves.com/tours/greece-turkey/greece). Normally his suggestions are spot on for me, but the sightseeing priorities in this guide (Hydra, then Delphi, then Nafplio, then Olympia, then Kardamyli) are totally different from what sounds interesting to me. Am I missing something? Maybe my preferences have completely changed post-kid?
So here's what I've put together...any thoughts/advice on what I've kept/dropped from his itinerary?
-Athens: we land at 7:15pm and I'm thinking of renting a car and getting into Nafplio late instead of staying for just 1 night (would prefer to save Athens for the end of the trip to keep stress down before the flights on Day 8).
-Nafplio (3 days / 3 nights): Day 1 fortress hike or just hang out in old town. Day 2 & 3 Epidavros and/or Mycenae day trips, depending on how we're feeling.
-Kardamyli (3 days / 3 nights): The book puts this low on the sightseeing priority list, but after reading about how easy it is to slip into Greek country life here...it sounds like a better fit than Monemvasia (big rock), Olympia or Delphi (ruins), and Hydra (we'll get island time later). We'd hit the markets, cafes, parks...
-Athens (1 day / 1 night): explore, Mom flies home, we fly to Naxos/Santorini.
I look forward to hearing your opinions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Restaurant recommendations in Sicily
- 2 Will Bottle of Champagne Pass Thru Customs at Athens Airport Upon Arrival?
- 3 Sicily help
- 4 Driving from Culzean Castle to Bamburgh
- 5 Transport for local Venice travel
- 6 Borghese Gallery Question
- 7 Help me decide which major city to cut based on time of year.
- 8 Experiencing Scotland in the Winters
- 9 Germany vs Sweden nightlife
- 10 London vacation rental agency
- 11 Lunch stop with view of Rio–Antirrio Bridge
- 12 Towns around Lucca
- 13 Cork questions
- 14 London and Paris - 3 days each
- 15 To the top of Europe, and back again.
- 16 Swimming in Camogli, Santa Margherita Ligure, Italy
- 17 Italy Vacation
- 18 Stu Tower
- 19 Austria & Switzerland- winter or summer!
- 20 Luggage questions for train travel in Italy.
- 21 La Coruna or Santiago or both?
- 22 Granada in April; add Malaga?
- 23 Help Planning Denmark Sweden Norway trip
- 24 Roman (and Florentine, Venetian) Holiday with la Principessa
- 25 Germany or Sweden
How would you adapt Rick Steves' Athens & the Heart of Greece tour?