My husband, my 18-month-old toddler, and I are headed to Greece in early September for one week with my mom and another week with just us and the baby. We'd like a relaxed itinerary that focuses on the culture and scenery. Some stop-worthy ancient sites and beaches would also be great. Museums aren't high on our priority list as we tend to get "museumed-out," but we'd check them out if there's a strong recommendation.
So for Part 1 (7 days w/Mom), I was thinking about doing a shorter version of Rick Steve's 14-day tour (http://tours.ricksteves.com/tours/greece-turkey/greece). Normally his suggestions are spot on for me, but the sightseeing priorities in this guide (Hydra, then Delphi, then Nafplio, then Olympia, then Kardamyli) are totally different from what sounds interesting to me. Am I missing something? Maybe my preferences have completely changed post-kid?
So here's what I've put together...any thoughts/advice on what I've kept/dropped from his itinerary?
-Athens: we land at 7:15pm and I'm thinking of renting a car and getting into Nafplio late instead of staying for just 1 night (would prefer to save Athens for the end of the trip to keep stress down before the flights on Day 8).
-Nafplio (3 days / 3 nights): Day 1 fortress hike or just hang out in old town. Day 2 & 3 Epidavros and/or Mycenae day trips, depending on how we're feeling.
-Kardamyli (3 days / 3 nights): The book puts this low on the sightseeing priority list, but after reading about how easy it is to slip into Greek country life here...it sounds like a better fit than Monemvasia (big rock), Olympia or Delphi (ruins), and Hydra (we'll get island time later). We'd hit the markets, cafes, parks...
-Athens (1 day / 1 night): explore, Mom flies home, we fly to Naxos/Santorini.
I look forward to hearing your opinions!
How would you adapt Rick Steves' Athens & the Heart of Greece tour?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 How tough are they with carry-ons for intra European flights?
- 2 GuideAdvisor, beware!!
- 3 22 days in Amsterdam, Germany, Austria and Switzerland
- 4 London Newport Court apartment rental advice
- 5 which is worse in july - rome or venice?
- 6 Recommendations for hotels in Helsinki
- 7 Satnav maps update
- 8 Greece after the Vote
- 9 Ever Seen the 'Baked Bean' In London?
- 10 What else for kids to see/do near Guedelon?
- 11 Winter in europe - am I being too ambitious?
- 12 Toulouse, The Dordogne(based in Sarlat) and Paris
- 13 half day at Madrid Prado ?
- 14 mallorca
- 15 April in Madrid
- 16 14 days in Russia, please help choose day trip out of Moscow/St. Petersburg
- 17 France to Italy advice needed please
- 18 Heading off to our 18day Eurotrip soon - 3000€ for 2 people? Enough?
- 19 Un Coup de Foudre - Falling in Love with France in 8 Days
- 20 First Europe trip - France, Italy & Greece
- 21 Picturesque Towns in Europe: Your Favorite?
- 22 Madrid hotel near Atocha Station
- 23 Question: import tax on personal musical instruments?
- 24 Hamburg, worth a visit?
- 25 Potential return trip to Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina