My husband, my 18-month-old toddler, and I are headed to Greece in early September for one week with my mom and another week with just us and the baby. We'd like a relaxed itinerary that focuses on the culture and scenery. Some stop-worthy ancient sites and beaches would also be great. Museums aren't high on our priority list as we tend to get "museumed-out," but we'd check them out if there's a strong recommendation.
So for Part 1 (7 days w/Mom), I was thinking about doing a shorter version of Rick Steve's 14-day tour (http://tours.ricksteves.com/tours/greece-turkey/greece). Normally his suggestions are spot on for me, but the sightseeing priorities in this guide (Hydra, then Delphi, then Nafplio, then Olympia, then Kardamyli) are totally different from what sounds interesting to me. Am I missing something? Maybe my preferences have completely changed post-kid?
So here's what I've put together...any thoughts/advice on what I've kept/dropped from his itinerary?
-Athens: we land at 7:15pm and I'm thinking of renting a car and getting into Nafplio late instead of staying for just 1 night (would prefer to save Athens for the end of the trip to keep stress down before the flights on Day 8).
-Nafplio (3 days / 3 nights): Day 1 fortress hike or just hang out in old town. Day 2 & 3 Epidavros and/or Mycenae day trips, depending on how we're feeling.
-Kardamyli (3 days / 3 nights): The book puts this low on the sightseeing priority list, but after reading about how easy it is to slip into Greek country life here...it sounds like a better fit than Monemvasia (big rock), Olympia or Delphi (ruins), and Hydra (we'll get island time later). We'd hit the markets, cafes, parks...
-Athens (1 day / 1 night): explore, Mom flies home, we fly to Naxos/Santorini.
I look forward to hearing your opinions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Moldova and Transnistria
- 2 Getting around London
- 3 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 4 Valencia Spain
- 5 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 6 Our short trip to Austria, the Dolomites and Bavaria
- 7 Cape Sounion en route to Airport?
- 8 Advice on Spring/Fall trips to Scotland and Alsace
- 9 Transportation/itinerary help from Rome cruise terminal
- 10 The DCC scam is spreading
- 11 Favorite Champagne houses in Reims and surrounding area
- 12 Iceland in January/February
- 13 Postcards from Retirement - the Britan 2017 Edition
- 14 Driving in Italy
- 15 Paris in August
- 16 Porto, Galicia and Asturias (plus Leon) Hotel recommendations (??)
- 17 Coastal daytrip from Dartmoor Park
- 18 Please help 21 day driving tour Wales & Southern England Sept 2017
- 19 10 days/2 kids/Munich and surrounding areas
- 20 Rome Water Shortage
- 21 8 days in Ireland -- where to go??!!
- 22 3 weeks in Scotland and Germany?
- 23 Update on Bob the Navigator
- 24 Train travel to and from Paris
- 25 Paris and England, 14 days on the ground
How would you adapt Rick Steves' Athens & the Heart of Greece tour?