My husband, my 18-month-old toddler, and I are headed to Greece in early September for one week with my mom and another week with just us and the baby. We'd like a relaxed itinerary that focuses on the culture and scenery. Some stop-worthy ancient sites and beaches would also be great. Museums aren't high on our priority list as we tend to get "museumed-out," but we'd check them out if there's a strong recommendation.
So for Part 1 (7 days w/Mom), I was thinking about doing a shorter version of Rick Steve's 14-day tour (http://tours.ricksteves.com/tours/greece-turkey/greece). Normally his suggestions are spot on for me, but the sightseeing priorities in this guide (Hydra, then Delphi, then Nafplio, then Olympia, then Kardamyli) are totally different from what sounds interesting to me. Am I missing something? Maybe my preferences have completely changed post-kid?
So here's what I've put together...any thoughts/advice on what I've kept/dropped from his itinerary?
-Athens: we land at 7:15pm and I'm thinking of renting a car and getting into Nafplio late instead of staying for just 1 night (would prefer to save Athens for the end of the trip to keep stress down before the flights on Day 8).
-Nafplio (3 days / 3 nights): Day 1 fortress hike or just hang out in old town. Day 2 & 3 Epidavros and/or Mycenae day trips, depending on how we're feeling.
-Kardamyli (3 days / 3 nights): The book puts this low on the sightseeing priority list, but after reading about how easy it is to slip into Greek country life here...it sounds like a better fit than Monemvasia (big rock), Olympia or Delphi (ruins), and Hydra (we'll get island time later). We'd hit the markets, cafes, parks...
-Athens (1 day / 1 night): explore, Mom flies home, we fly to Naxos/Santorini.
I look forward to hearing your opinions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Switzerland/Italy Advice
- 2 Germany / Austria in December with parents - weather question, please help!
- 3 Plug ins for London and Paris
- 4 Do i need to validate international train tickets?
- 5 Quick drive thru Luxmbourg
- 6 please revew provence agenda
- 7 file of medicinal drug alleviation plans
- 8 Transportation from Spain to Portugal
- 9 Input on England, Scotland & Ireland
- 10 Provence to Nice driving
- 11 Is Mljet a reasonable substitute for Korcula?
- 12 holiday problem in Budapest
- 13 Bergamo and Padua: Best Atmosphere for Aimless Strolling? 3-night-Split
- 14 When and how to book for a trip?
- 15 Portugal Beaches 3-4 days
- 16 Help with Italy Itinerary: October 2016
- 17 Ferries from Santorini to Folegandros
- 18 Sicily or Rome
- 19 Transportation from Budapest to Krakow
- 20 Wine Tours from Pienza
- 21 Last Minute Advice needed for Rome
- 22 Lake Como by travel around by sailboat?
- 23 Lake Como - basta!
- 24 Advice on Renting a Car in Italy
- 25 Using a Cell Phone in Europe
How would you adapt Rick Steves' Athens & the Heart of Greece tour?