My husband, my 18-month-old toddler, and I are headed to Greece in early September for one week with my mom and another week with just us and the baby. We'd like a relaxed itinerary that focuses on the culture and scenery. Some stop-worthy ancient sites and beaches would also be great. Museums aren't high on our priority list as we tend to get "museumed-out," but we'd check them out if there's a strong recommendation.
So for Part 1 (7 days w/Mom), I was thinking about doing a shorter version of Rick Steve's 14-day tour (http://tours.ricksteves.com/tours/greece-turkey/greece). Normally his suggestions are spot on for me, but the sightseeing priorities in this guide (Hydra, then Delphi, then Nafplio, then Olympia, then Kardamyli) are totally different from what sounds interesting to me. Am I missing something? Maybe my preferences have completely changed post-kid?
So here's what I've put together...any thoughts/advice on what I've kept/dropped from his itinerary?
-Athens: we land at 7:15pm and I'm thinking of renting a car and getting into Nafplio late instead of staying for just 1 night (would prefer to save Athens for the end of the trip to keep stress down before the flights on Day 8).
-Nafplio (3 days / 3 nights): Day 1 fortress hike or just hang out in old town. Day 2 & 3 Epidavros and/or Mycenae day trips, depending on how we're feeling.
-Kardamyli (3 days / 3 nights): The book puts this low on the sightseeing priority list, but after reading about how easy it is to slip into Greek country life here...it sounds like a better fit than Monemvasia (big rock), Olympia or Delphi (ruins), and Hydra (we'll get island time later). We'd hit the markets, cafes, parks...
-Athens (1 day / 1 night): explore, Mom flies home, we fly to Naxos/Santorini.
I look forward to hearing your opinions!
How would you adapt Rick Steves' Athens & the Heart of Greece tour?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Flamenco -- Cordoba, Seville or Granada?
- 2 Upcoming Spain itinerary-eyeballs please!
- 3 Venice, April 2014. Some thoughts ...
- 4 Florence & Rome Itinerary, hotel, tour co. critique please!
- 5 Advice Train from Berlin to Prague
- 6 21 Days in Central Europe
- 7 Day trip to Northern Italy Suggestions
- 8 Small group for Colosseum
- 9 Duoro Valley lodging for 3 in June
- 10 Almost 3 weeks in Sicily in March
- 11 Two weeks in Paris ... how to fill?
- 12 Tram 28 safe to travel with kids?
- 13 Who has stayed at a Citadines Paris property?
- 14 Experience with car service "Paris Cab" and others that have carseats?
- 15 Spain/Costa de Sol Please identify picture
- 16 London visit
- 17 Our Spain Adventure -- Cordoba, Seville, Granada and Barcelona! (Part One)
- 18 Suggestions for Trip to Villefranche-sur-Mer
- 19 Yacht trip on coast of Spain
- 20 Italy/France 22 day Itinerary - Help Please
- 21 Greece Italy and Turkey
- 22 men's shoes spain
- 23 Cooking classes in Belgium
- 24 Portugal with a 3 year old and 1 year old
- 25 Edinburgh GTG, April?