My husband, my 18-month-old toddler, and I are headed to Greece in early September for one week with my mom and another week with just us and the baby. We'd like a relaxed itinerary that focuses on the culture and scenery. Some stop-worthy ancient sites and beaches would also be great. Museums aren't high on our priority list as we tend to get "museumed-out," but we'd check them out if there's a strong recommendation.
So for Part 1 (7 days w/Mom), I was thinking about doing a shorter version of Rick Steve's 14-day tour (http://tours.ricksteves.com/tours/greece-turkey/greece). Normally his suggestions are spot on for me, but the sightseeing priorities in this guide (Hydra, then Delphi, then Nafplio, then Olympia, then Kardamyli) are totally different from what sounds interesting to me. Am I missing something? Maybe my preferences have completely changed post-kid?
So here's what I've put together...any thoughts/advice on what I've kept/dropped from his itinerary?
-Athens: we land at 7:15pm and I'm thinking of renting a car and getting into Nafplio late instead of staying for just 1 night (would prefer to save Athens for the end of the trip to keep stress down before the flights on Day 8).
-Nafplio (3 days / 3 nights): Day 1 fortress hike or just hang out in old town. Day 2 & 3 Epidavros and/or Mycenae day trips, depending on how we're feeling.
-Kardamyli (3 days / 3 nights): The book puts this low on the sightseeing priority list, but after reading about how easy it is to slip into Greek country life here...it sounds like a better fit than Monemvasia (big rock), Olympia or Delphi (ruins), and Hydra (we'll get island time later). We'd hit the markets, cafes, parks...
-Athens (1 day / 1 night): explore, Mom flies home, we fly to Naxos/Santorini.
I look forward to hearing your opinions!
How would you adapt Rick Steves' Athens & the Heart of Greece tour?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Rheinland-Pfalz Day Pass & Rhine Cruise
- 2 Travel insurance, interruption or cancelation?
- 3 Italy tours
- 4 lauterbrunnen-wengen 4 days
- 5 paris apartment opinion airbnb
- 6 Amsterdam
- 7 Air France strike
- 8 California touring rock thrash band, France and Italy
- 9 Where is this place in Denmark?
- 10 Are you following Scotland's upcoming vote on independence?
- 11 Mr & Mrs Annhig go bummelling round Germany.
- 12 4-5 Days in Switzerland before Paris? Is Berne the place to go?
- 13 See You In Minsk
- 14 Advice for 6 nights 7 Days in Switzerland
- 15 Ski to Verbier and Courmayeur, is it possible without a car?
- 16 French 2015 summer school vacation
- 17 BARCELONA: renting a car to Costa Brava
- 18 Norway Advice
- 19 Looking for Suggestions - 12 Day Agenda for Greece
- 20 Hurtigruten Cruise excursions alternatives, coast of Norway
- 21 from Munchen train to Romerberg
- 22 Scottish Passport
- 23 Questions About Croatia
- 24 Oxford or Cambridge?
- 25 3 adults in a Triple room at Hotel Attalos- crazy?