My husband, my 18-month-old toddler, and I are headed to Greece in early September for one week with my mom and another week with just us and the baby. We'd like a relaxed itinerary that focuses on the culture and scenery. Some stop-worthy ancient sites and beaches would also be great. Museums aren't high on our priority list as we tend to get "museumed-out," but we'd check them out if there's a strong recommendation.
So for Part 1 (7 days w/Mom), I was thinking about doing a shorter version of Rick Steve's 14-day tour (http://tours.ricksteves.com/tours/greece-turkey/greece). Normally his suggestions are spot on for me, but the sightseeing priorities in this guide (Hydra, then Delphi, then Nafplio, then Olympia, then Kardamyli) are totally different from what sounds interesting to me. Am I missing something? Maybe my preferences have completely changed post-kid?
So here's what I've put together...any thoughts/advice on what I've kept/dropped from his itinerary?
-Athens: we land at 7:15pm and I'm thinking of renting a car and getting into Nafplio late instead of staying for just 1 night (would prefer to save Athens for the end of the trip to keep stress down before the flights on Day 8).
-Nafplio (3 days / 3 nights): Day 1 fortress hike or just hang out in old town. Day 2 & 3 Epidavros and/or Mycenae day trips, depending on how we're feeling.
-Kardamyli (3 days / 3 nights): The book puts this low on the sightseeing priority list, but after reading about how easy it is to slip into Greek country life here...it sounds like a better fit than Monemvasia (big rock), Olympia or Delphi (ruins), and Hydra (we'll get island time later). We'd hit the markets, cafes, parks...
-Athens (1 day / 1 night): explore, Mom flies home, we fly to Naxos/Santorini.
I look forward to hearing your opinions!
How would you adapt Rick Steves' Athens & the Heart of Greece tour?
- 1 London's Proposed New Airport...
- 2 2 weeks in UK to visit my daughter at Queen Mary Univ Dec 15-28 2013
- 3 rent car / Munich
- 4 Apartments in Rome
- 5 London for Christmas
- 6 Unique excursion/experience in Paris
- 7 Anniversary Weekend in Paris
- 8 3 nights in Bayeux, FRANCE...how to make the most of our days in winter?
- 9 Orvieto ro Pompei day trip in late December?
- 10 all white pottery shop near La Deniere Goutte Wine Shop
- 11 To Paris and Provence in June
- 12 Please help with this Switzerland/Italy itinerary
- 13 7 days in Andalucia
- 14 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 15 Hungary and Czech Republic
- 16 Madrid to Sevilla
- 17 Driving from Nice to Besancon, France
- 18 How to get from airport to Venice city
- 19 Ira Has Been Kidnapped
- 20 A full week in The Netherlands
- 21 San Sebastian and 2 day trips into France...lodging and places to see
- 22 Venice 3 days Itinerary.
- 23 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome
- 24 Ireland in a week
- 25 Bus shuttle from MXP to Milan Centrale Station