My husband, my 18-month-old toddler, and I are headed to Greece in early September for one week with my mom and another week with just us and the baby. We'd like a relaxed itinerary that focuses on the culture and scenery. Some stop-worthy ancient sites and beaches would also be great. Museums aren't high on our priority list as we tend to get "museumed-out," but we'd check them out if there's a strong recommendation.
So for Part 1 (7 days w/Mom), I was thinking about doing a shorter version of Rick Steve's 14-day tour (http://tours.ricksteves.com/tours/greece-turkey/greece). Normally his suggestions are spot on for me, but the sightseeing priorities in this guide (Hydra, then Delphi, then Nafplio, then Olympia, then Kardamyli) are totally different from what sounds interesting to me. Am I missing something? Maybe my preferences have completely changed post-kid?
So here's what I've put together...any thoughts/advice on what I've kept/dropped from his itinerary?
-Athens: we land at 7:15pm and I'm thinking of renting a car and getting into Nafplio late instead of staying for just 1 night (would prefer to save Athens for the end of the trip to keep stress down before the flights on Day 8).
-Nafplio (3 days / 3 nights): Day 1 fortress hike or just hang out in old town. Day 2 & 3 Epidavros and/or Mycenae day trips, depending on how we're feeling.
-Kardamyli (3 days / 3 nights): The book puts this low on the sightseeing priority list, but after reading about how easy it is to slip into Greek country life here...it sounds like a better fit than Monemvasia (big rock), Olympia or Delphi (ruins), and Hydra (we'll get island time later). We'd hit the markets, cafes, parks...
-Athens (1 day / 1 night): explore, Mom flies home, we fly to Naxos/Santorini.
I look forward to hearing your opinions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 11 days in Andalusia
- 2 Norway Route to take for Self driving
- 3 In Search of Montalbano - the ups and downs of 10 days in Eastern Sicily
- 4 Should we go to Vienna?
- 5 Puglia, and a touch of Rome
- 6 Summer 2017 with Teens and Family
- 7 1 week solo in Europe. Which of these?
- 8 Visit Uzes from Nimes by bus
- 9 The Texas Trio Tour England
- 10 Best Destination for Teenage Girls?
- 11 Scotland/UK itinerary
- 12 norway self-drive itinerary
- 13 Loire Valley itinerary
- 14 Paris - Phantom - Theatre Mogador Fire
- 15 Iceland trip report
- 16 February in Florence
- 17 Is International Drivers Permit in Spain Required
- 18 Ronda to Seville
- 19 Europe Itinerary
- 20 Italy: your favorite national park?
- 21 Belgium for the 1st time
- 22 Transfer in CDG - claim our baggage & do passport control??
- 23 St. Wolfgang/Hallstatt/Berchtesgaden from Salzburg
- 24 Our short visit to Stockholm: A few details and many photos
- 25 visa expired
How would you adapt Rick Steves' Athens & the Heart of Greece tour?