My husband, my 18-month-old toddler, and I are headed to Greece in early September for one week with my mom and another week with just us and the baby. We'd like a relaxed itinerary that focuses on the culture and scenery. Some stop-worthy ancient sites and beaches would also be great. Museums aren't high on our priority list as we tend to get "museumed-out," but we'd check them out if there's a strong recommendation.
So for Part 1 (7 days w/Mom), I was thinking about doing a shorter version of Rick Steve's 14-day tour (http://tours.ricksteves.com/tours/greece-turkey/greece). Normally his suggestions are spot on for me, but the sightseeing priorities in this guide (Hydra, then Delphi, then Nafplio, then Olympia, then Kardamyli) are totally different from what sounds interesting to me. Am I missing something? Maybe my preferences have completely changed post-kid?
So here's what I've put together...any thoughts/advice on what I've kept/dropped from his itinerary?
-Athens: we land at 7:15pm and I'm thinking of renting a car and getting into Nafplio late instead of staying for just 1 night (would prefer to save Athens for the end of the trip to keep stress down before the flights on Day 8).
-Nafplio (3 days / 3 nights): Day 1 fortress hike or just hang out in old town. Day 2 & 3 Epidavros and/or Mycenae day trips, depending on how we're feeling.
-Kardamyli (3 days / 3 nights): The book puts this low on the sightseeing priority list, but after reading about how easy it is to slip into Greek country life here...it sounds like a better fit than Monemvasia (big rock), Olympia or Delphi (ruins), and Hydra (we'll get island time later). We'd hit the markets, cafes, parks...
-Athens (1 day / 1 night): explore, Mom flies home, we fly to Naxos/Santorini.
I look forward to hearing your opinions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Not Gone From Memory Or From Love — The Western Front Revisited
- 2 Starting my Paris plan for May
- 3 Best place to view alps from Italy
- 4 New notes and coins and death dates for old ones
- 5 9 days in London
- 6 Bedbugs in Paris.
- 7 "Best" train route Interlaken to Salzburg
- 8 Vatican Museums and Scavi Tour
- 9 Vacation near Lake Lugano and Lake Como
- 10 Daytime flights - US East Coast to Paris?
- 11 Lyon
- 12 Self drive tour companies
- 13 Italian lakes
- 14 Train tickets, Swiss pass or eurail
- 15 2 WEEK EUROPE ITINERARY
- 16 What do after Bernia Express?
- 17 Upcoming trip to Penzance, Cornwall
- 18 Italian Honeymoon Advice
- 19 France, UK and Ireland
- 20 Driving Excursions/Day Trips outside of Edinburgh
- 21 French theater in Paris
- 22 Best way to learn a foreign language?
- 23 Major Ed van der Elsken show in Stedelijk Museum
- 24 Germany family road trip help!
- 25 Road trip from Naples to Basilicata, Puglia and Bari
How would you adapt Rick Steves' Athens & the Heart of Greece tour?