My husband, my 18-month-old toddler, and I are headed to Greece in early September for one week with my mom and another week with just us and the baby. We'd like a relaxed itinerary that focuses on the culture and scenery. Some stop-worthy ancient sites and beaches would also be great. Museums aren't high on our priority list as we tend to get "museumed-out," but we'd check them out if there's a strong recommendation.
So for Part 1 (7 days w/Mom), I was thinking about doing a shorter version of Rick Steve's 14-day tour (http://tours.ricksteves.com/tours/greece-turkey/greece). Normally his suggestions are spot on for me, but the sightseeing priorities in this guide (Hydra, then Delphi, then Nafplio, then Olympia, then Kardamyli) are totally different from what sounds interesting to me. Am I missing something? Maybe my preferences have completely changed post-kid?
So here's what I've put together...any thoughts/advice on what I've kept/dropped from his itinerary?
-Athens: we land at 7:15pm and I'm thinking of renting a car and getting into Nafplio late instead of staying for just 1 night (would prefer to save Athens for the end of the trip to keep stress down before the flights on Day 8).
-Nafplio (3 days / 3 nights): Day 1 fortress hike or just hang out in old town. Day 2 & 3 Epidavros and/or Mycenae day trips, depending on how we're feeling.
-Kardamyli (3 days / 3 nights): The book puts this low on the sightseeing priority list, but after reading about how easy it is to slip into Greek country life here...it sounds like a better fit than Monemvasia (big rock), Olympia or Delphi (ruins), and Hydra (we'll get island time later). We'd hit the markets, cafes, parks...
-Athens (1 day / 1 night): explore, Mom flies home, we fly to Naxos/Santorini.
I look forward to hearing your opinions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Train travel vs rental car in Slovenia and Croatia
- 2 빅브라더카지노＼☯＼『 SOL26.ZE。AM 』＼빅브라더카지노【슈퍼카지노】
- 3 Planning to visit Barcelona and Paris
- 4 CDG airport and connection time
- 5 Itinerary help for first trip to Greece
- 6 car for four adults and four bikes
- 7 Spending Money for 10 Days in France/Italy
- 8 4 days itinerary for France
- 9 French restaurants
- 10 Switzerland
- 11 If you had to choose one......
- 12 Marksburg Castle Transport Question
- 13 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 14 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 15 Beginning Itinerary Guidance
- 16 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 17 Itinerary and transportation suggestions
- 18 Q re: holiday season in Italy
- 19 Spanish Language Immersion for young teenager in SPAIN
- 20 days and times when museums and suchlike close
- 21 HELP PLEASE! Skiing in Zermatt this March
- 22 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 23 Road Trip From Frankfurt
- 24 family holiday Rome&Venice
- 25 UK in July -- early planning stages
How would you adapt Rick Steves' Athens & the Heart of Greece tour?