My husband, my 18-month-old toddler, and I are headed to Greece in early September for one week with my mom and another week with just us and the baby. We'd like a relaxed itinerary that focuses on the culture and scenery. Some stop-worthy ancient sites and beaches would also be great. Museums aren't high on our priority list as we tend to get "museumed-out," but we'd check them out if there's a strong recommendation.
So for Part 1 (7 days w/Mom), I was thinking about doing a shorter version of Rick Steve's 14-day tour (http://tours.ricksteves.com/tours/greece-turkey/greece). Normally his suggestions are spot on for me, but the sightseeing priorities in this guide (Hydra, then Delphi, then Nafplio, then Olympia, then Kardamyli) are totally different from what sounds interesting to me. Am I missing something? Maybe my preferences have completely changed post-kid?
So here's what I've put together...any thoughts/advice on what I've kept/dropped from his itinerary?
-Athens: we land at 7:15pm and I'm thinking of renting a car and getting into Nafplio late instead of staying for just 1 night (would prefer to save Athens for the end of the trip to keep stress down before the flights on Day 8).
-Nafplio (3 days / 3 nights): Day 1 fortress hike or just hang out in old town. Day 2 & 3 Epidavros and/or Mycenae day trips, depending on how we're feeling.
-Kardamyli (3 days / 3 nights): The book puts this low on the sightseeing priority list, but after reading about how easy it is to slip into Greek country life here...it sounds like a better fit than Monemvasia (big rock), Olympia or Delphi (ruins), and Hydra (we'll get island time later). We'd hit the markets, cafes, parks...
-Athens (1 day / 1 night): explore, Mom flies home, we fly to Naxos/Santorini.
I look forward to hearing your opinions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Kids Travel Guides for Reading up!
- 2 Just Iceland or Iceland and Europe?
- 3 house exchange
- 4 Venice Restaurant on Easter Sunday?
- 5 10 days in eastern Sicily - itinerary help needed
- 6 Your Thoughts on the Black Forest, please --
- 7 What to see in Dresden...
- 8 Public Transportation in Vienna: Borderline Organized Crime
- 9 suggestions for an Iceland self-drive touring June 2011?
- 10 Flight to London - Discount Airlines?
- 11 Day River trips from Porto
- 12 Late August Trip to Northern Italy
- 13 Crewed yacht charter: Mediterranean
- 14 Public Transport information App/Website
- 15 Honeymoon - Spain & Greece
- 16 Paris: Best Hot Chocolate
- 17 First Time Europe Trip
- 18 Any suggestions yacht charter services?
- 19 Luxury Apartment Rentals in Rome
- 20 St.Malo Suggestions ?
- 21 Family Trip to Italy - North or South? April, July or October?
- 22 Lon term Car Hire Guide for Italy
- 23 Loans 15,000 kr. and you have them about 45. minutes
- 24 Ireland Itinerary Help
- 25 London with kids
How would you adapt Rick Steves' Athens & the Heart of Greece tour?