We have just had someone manage to get and try to use our debit card and two credit cards to make large purchases withing a few minutes of each other even though the cards were not missing. Fortunately the companies involved did not approve the purchases and we were able to get new account numbers and cards. As I'm in the midst of planning a tip to Italy, I wondered how we would have managed this had we been traveling abroad. We usually consider two different credit cards and a debit card to be enough to take when we travel. If we happen to be in a big city, I imagine that we could go to an American Express office to get a new card. Other than having money wired to us by family, I couldn't think of another way to get money to continue the trip. We used to take traveler's checks but they are not welcomed in many places and we have been charged large fees for using them, so we no longer take them. We would welcome suggestions as to how to handle this situation should it occur.
How would I handle identity theft while traveling?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Must see in Dubrovnik
- 2 Eatwith - dine with locals
- 3 Questions for my German friends
- 4 Chip but no PIN
- 5 Planning first Solo Backpacking in Europe!
- 6 What still confounds you about travel?
- 7 Best route from Pamukkale to Fethiye by car
- 8 Planning 17 days Italy - Switzerland - Germany
- 9 Help with Itinerary please!!!!
- 10 Advance Tickets Segrada Familia - Barcelona
- 11 Two weeks in Paris ... how to fill?
- 12 Anyone been to Rhodes,Crete,etc. over Christmas?
- 13 Prague, Budapest & Croatia +Krakow?
- 14 Airport to Piraeus
- 15 Train to Airport in Venice
- 16 Puglia planning - where to base, how long to spend
- 17 Paris Travelogue (One week in June with a toddler)
- 18 Long Weekend in Lisbon - Loved it!
- 19 Honeymoon in Greece 10 days : Athen Santorini Crete
- 20 Venice canal boats--best deals?
- 21 Itinerary: 13 day trip to Greece
- 22 Foie gras, redux
- 23 Pre-Purchasing Train Tickets
- 24 Dublin Tour Companies
- 25 Naxos Island: Best Way to Get Around?