We have just had someone manage to get and try to use our debit card and two credit cards to make large purchases withing a few minutes of each other even though the cards were not missing. Fortunately the companies involved did not approve the purchases and we were able to get new account numbers and cards. As I'm in the midst of planning a tip to Italy, I wondered how we would have managed this had we been traveling abroad. We usually consider two different credit cards and a debit card to be enough to take when we travel. If we happen to be in a big city, I imagine that we could go to an American Express office to get a new card. Other than having money wired to us by family, I couldn't think of another way to get money to continue the trip. We used to take traveler's checks but they are not welcomed in many places and we have been charged large fees for using them, so we no longer take them. We would welcome suggestions as to how to handle this situation should it occur.
How would I handle identity theft while traveling?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Florence to Naples by car road trip ideas
- 2 Day trip on the Rhine
- 3 Abruzzo for 5 days
- 4 day trip to Lake Como from Milan
- 5 October travel to Northern France--early or late?
- 6 Munich with a car?
- 7 Toulouse and beyond -
- 8 One week in Venice - trips
- 9 13 days Netherlands, Germany, Austria and Zermatt
- 10 Italy for 3 in 12 days
- 11 Reservation needed in Germany?
- 12 UK for 12 days !
- 13 Estonia Amber
- 14 3 Week Trip to Italy and Paris - Suggestions
- 15 St Pancras to Holburn tube station
- 16 Cordoba -- What to do on a Monday?
- 17 Online hotel reservation sites reliable?
- 18 Good Friday in Barcelona
- 19 recommendations for budget hotels - West End, Covent Garden, Bloomsbury
- 20 Not hot in Europe in July?
- 21 From CDG to the Seventh?
- 22 Great Britain Travel- London / Edinburgh
- 23 Hut to hut hiking in Bavarian alps
- 24 Germany-berlin marathon
- 25 Rue Montorgueil or 7th?