We have just had someone manage to get and try to use our debit card and two credit cards to make large purchases withing a few minutes of each other even though the cards were not missing. Fortunately the companies involved did not approve the purchases and we were able to get new account numbers and cards. As I'm in the midst of planning a tip to Italy, I wondered how we would have managed this had we been traveling abroad. We usually consider two different credit cards and a debit card to be enough to take when we travel. If we happen to be in a big city, I imagine that we could go to an American Express office to get a new card. Other than having money wired to us by family, I couldn't think of another way to get money to continue the trip. We used to take traveler's checks but they are not welcomed in many places and we have been charged large fees for using them, so we no longer take them. We would welcome suggestions as to how to handle this situation should it occur.
How would I handle identity theft while traveling?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Is the roof of La Grande Arche de la Défense open yet?
- 2 Any Pros Out There on Sending FedEx from Italy to U.S.?
- 3 Vimy Ridge to CDG airport.
- 4 itinerary help needed - Mediterranean Turkey / Turquoise Coast
- 5 Como Lake for Easter weekend - is a rental car worthwhile?
- 6 Turkey - Live report
- 7 How would you spend 4 nights/3days on Lake Como?
- 8 Molise and Southern Abruzzo - Does it have to be a secret ?
- 9 Rome Itinerary -- done my homework, please comment
- 10 Hotels in old Rome
- 11 Wish me luck please
- 12 Drug addict cleansing in France and Spain
- 13 Apartment in Seville in April help
- 14 Inexperienced traveler trying to plan for 2 weeks in Europe!
- 15 Paris to Etretat Day Trip
- 16 San Sebastian or Pamploma?
- 17 Just curious: Kids at the Moulin Rouge?
- 18 British Royals
- 19 Train from Paris to Avignon
- 20 Paris and Normandy Trains
- 21 Phone/GPS/Internet Access Strategies for European Vacation
- 22 St. Cloud Racecourse - Anybody been?
- 23 North side of Thun Lake Switzerland as a lodging base
- 24 Belgium - Amsterdam - Dusseldorf
- 25 Apartments in Rome you have rented and liked