We have just had someone manage to get and try to use our debit card and two credit cards to make large purchases withing a few minutes of each other even though the cards were not missing. Fortunately the companies involved did not approve the purchases and we were able to get new account numbers and cards. As I'm in the midst of planning a tip to Italy, I wondered how we would have managed this had we been traveling abroad. We usually consider two different credit cards and a debit card to be enough to take when we travel. If we happen to be in a big city, I imagine that we could go to an American Express office to get a new card. Other than having money wired to us by family, I couldn't think of another way to get money to continue the trip. We used to take traveler's checks but they are not welcomed in many places and we have been charged large fees for using them, so we no longer take them. We would welcome suggestions as to how to handle this situation should it occur.
How would I handle identity theft while traveling?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Are you following Scotland's upcoming vote on independence?
- 2 Munich Hotel - Stay at the Westin or Sheraton Westpark?
- 3 London GTG late September?
- 4 Spain (Practical) Trip Report
- 5 Scottish Passport
- 6 Air France strike
- 7 Splendid Summer Trip in Scotland and Ireland
- 8 URGENT HELP- Traveling soon for Croatia, B & H, Slovenia, Montenegro
- 9 Find a long term rental studio in Paris
- 10 Amsterdam
- 11 BARCELONA: renting a car to Costa Brava
- 12 Best day trips from Paris
- 13 Mr & Mrs Annhig go bummelling round Germany.
- 14 Sunny September Trip Report
- 15 BEST OF FRANCE ROAD TRIP IN 30 DAYS- MAY 15
- 16 paris apartment opinion airbnb
- 17 Oxford or Cambridge?
- 18 Italy tours
- 19 Norway Advice
- 20 Rheinland-Pfalz Day Pass & Rhine Cruise
- 21 Travel insurance, interruption or cancelation?
- 22 lauterbrunnen-wengen 4 days
- 23 Where is this place in Denmark?
- 24 4-5 Days in Switzerland before Paris? Is Berne the place to go?
- 25 See You In Minsk