We have just had someone manage to get and try to use our debit card and two credit cards to make large purchases withing a few minutes of each other even though the cards were not missing. Fortunately the companies involved did not approve the purchases and we were able to get new account numbers and cards. As I'm in the midst of planning a tip to Italy, I wondered how we would have managed this had we been traveling abroad. We usually consider two different credit cards and a debit card to be enough to take when we travel. If we happen to be in a big city, I imagine that we could go to an American Express office to get a new card. Other than having money wired to us by family, I couldn't think of another way to get money to continue the trip. We used to take traveler's checks but they are not welcomed in many places and we have been charged large fees for using them, so we no longer take them. We would welcome suggestions as to how to handle this situation should it occur.
How would I handle identity theft while traveling?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Peggy does Deutschland...
- 2 Siena Favorites?
- 3 Naples to Paris to Barcelona in November
- 4 A bit MORE of the Camino de Santiago
- 5 Flight into London out Frankfurt (stop Paris, Amsterdam Prague)?
- 6 Leaving for Paris in three weeks, what are the must "book ahead" sights?
- 7 biking in France
- 8 Flying Virgin Atlantic Premium Economy to London
- 9 Stockholm/Copenhagen/Norway?
- 10 Help with France itinerary
- 11 Terrorism in Europe
- 12 Planning a trip to Northern Italy/Lake Como
- 13 Question for those who have traveled to Portugal
- 14 3 WEEKS IN SICILY - ITINERARY HELP
- 15 Sienna at night
- 16 Traveling to France
- 17 Add a day to Madrid or Barcelona??
- 18 Need Cinque Terre/ Liguria advice
- 19 Paris Markets for a 5 Course Meal
- 20 Day trips between Lausanne and Zurich
- 21 Amalfi Coast in October
- 22 July in The Mezzogiorno – 3 weeks in Southern Italy: Amalfi Coast & Puglia
- 23 Ireland and Scotland : 2014 Trip Report
- 24 Romantic Greece and Exciting Turkey : 2011 Trip Report
- 25 Day trip from Barcelona? Single female