We have just had someone manage to get and try to use our debit card and two credit cards to make large purchases withing a few minutes of each other even though the cards were not missing. Fortunately the companies involved did not approve the purchases and we were able to get new account numbers and cards. As I'm in the midst of planning a tip to Italy, I wondered how we would have managed this had we been traveling abroad. We usually consider two different credit cards and a debit card to be enough to take when we travel. If we happen to be in a big city, I imagine that we could go to an American Express office to get a new card. Other than having money wired to us by family, I couldn't think of another way to get money to continue the trip. We used to take traveler's checks but they are not welcomed in many places and we have been charged large fees for using them, so we no longer take them. We would welcome suggestions as to how to handle this situation should it occur.
How would I handle identity theft while traveling?
View all Europe activity »
- 1 Planning 4 nights S / SE of London for my parents in their late 60s
- 2 Home from Rome - a trip report
- 3 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 4 Restaurant reservations Rome, Tuscany, Venice
- 5 New to Fodors: Please help with beginning stages of husband/wife trip
- 6 France and Spain Travel Itinerary
- 7 5 days in Granada - Seville?
- 8 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome
- 9 "The Roman Guy" for tours?
- 10 How to get from airport to Venice city
- 11 Trip around Spain
- 12 Trieste as a day trip?
- 13 Euro Train
- 14 Castle "ruins" Tirol, Austria, Bavaria, Switzerland ?
- 15 2 weeks in UK to visit my daughter at Queen Mary Univ Dec 15-28 2013
- 16 a week in Ireland over New year's
- 17 Spain - Andalucia
- 18 Alps/countryside off the beaten path suggestion - daytrip near Zurich
- 19 One more last question on Bayeux
- 20 banger rally around europe?
- 21 Question-- York & North York Moors
- 22 Spain Train Reservations - Seat assignment
- 23 Honeymoon Travel Advice Needed!
- 24 Backpacking Europe beginners questions!
- 25 Revised itinerary needs approval