We have just had someone manage to get and try to use our debit card and two credit cards to make large purchases withing a few minutes of each other even though the cards were not missing. Fortunately the companies involved did not approve the purchases and we were able to get new account numbers and cards. As I'm in the midst of planning a tip to Italy, I wondered how we would have managed this had we been traveling abroad. We usually consider two different credit cards and a debit card to be enough to take when we travel. If we happen to be in a big city, I imagine that we could go to an American Express office to get a new card. Other than having money wired to us by family, I couldn't think of another way to get money to continue the trip. We used to take traveler's checks but they are not welcomed in many places and we have been charged large fees for using them, so we no longer take them. We would welcome suggestions as to how to handle this situation should it occur.
How would I handle identity theft while traveling?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Best places to stay in Bristol?
- 2 5 Hoosiers - help with route through Germany
- 3 Amsterdam, Germany, Paris in May 2015- coats needed?
- 4 Sono arrivato a Venezia
- 5 Luxury hotel base Positano or Sorrento with 2 teen daughters
- 6 Minimalist wardrobe for Europe
- 7 Best Option for London Travelcard?
- 8 Is my plan ok
- 9 3 days and 4 nights in Switzerland
- 10 Recommended overnight stops on Iceland ring road
- 11 London Experts - What do you think of this apartment?
- 12 Different approach to 2-4-1 offers
- 13 2014 Ferry Boat Schedules Salerno/Amalfi/Positano Just Released
- 14 Neuschwanstein Castle from Zermatt
- 15 Portugal Trip
- 16 England's Ruined Abbeys
- 17 Austria to Italy by car - best route
- 18 Paris/Prague/Budapest/Zagreb/Nice/Paris
- 19 London - Paris - Venice - Rome in 21 Days
- 20 Paris to Barcelona by car/train - including Loire/Bordeax/Carcassonne
- 21 CROATIA - Split to Hvar Island ???
- 22 Paris-Loire-Avignon-Barcelona itinerary (help)
- 23 Starting to plan for 3.5 weeks in northern Spain, May 2015
- 24 Southern Spain
- 25 Reputable Tours