We have just had someone manage to get and try to use our debit card and two credit cards to make large purchases withing a few minutes of each other even though the cards were not missing. Fortunately the companies involved did not approve the purchases and we were able to get new account numbers and cards. As I'm in the midst of planning a tip to Italy, I wondered how we would have managed this had we been traveling abroad. We usually consider two different credit cards and a debit card to be enough to take when we travel. If we happen to be in a big city, I imagine that we could go to an American Express office to get a new card. Other than having money wired to us by family, I couldn't think of another way to get money to continue the trip. We used to take traveler's checks but they are not welcomed in many places and we have been charged large fees for using them, so we no longer take them. We would welcome suggestions as to how to handle this situation should it occur.
How would I handle identity theft while traveling?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Northwestern Switzerland Fall 2014
- 2 Castello di Sammezzano
- 3 Choosing countries for an 18 day trip
- 4 Paris on Palm Sunday and Easter
- 5 If you had a do-over @ Hampton Court Palace..
- 6 4 days in Sorrento, 4 days in Rome--expert advice needed!
- 7 17 days in Scotland, Ireland and a bit overwhelmed
- 8 Refining Alsace itinerary
- 9 Iceland Trekking/Camping
- 10 Trip report: visit to Hampton Court Palace (London)
- 11 Help - Train: Florence to Salerno & Ferry: Salerno to Positano
- 12 Mediterranean Vacation - Transportation
- 13 Positano to Amalfi in April
- 14 Affordable hotel recommendations for Barcelona in Jan/Feb 2015
- 15 25 days in Europe
- 16 Towns between Dingle and Doolin, Ireland or North of Galway
- 17 Please help me plan my trip!
- 18 euro quiz # 69 - All About Parks...
- 19 Europe in June with 8-year old
- 20 Travelling to Croatia - Do I need to book accommodation
- 21 More time in Colmar/Strasbourg vs a day for Reims or Chartes
- 22 Traveling after Dublin
- 23 scotland trave;
- 24 Hotel or bed and breakfast in Venice
- 25 Hotel Belvedere Bellagio or Royal Victoria in Lake Como for May trip