We have just had someone manage to get and try to use our debit card and two credit cards to make large purchases withing a few minutes of each other even though the cards were not missing. Fortunately the companies involved did not approve the purchases and we were able to get new account numbers and cards. As I'm in the midst of planning a tip to Italy, I wondered how we would have managed this had we been traveling abroad. We usually consider two different credit cards and a debit card to be enough to take when we travel. If we happen to be in a big city, I imagine that we could go to an American Express office to get a new card. Other than having money wired to us by family, I couldn't think of another way to get money to continue the trip. We used to take traveler's checks but they are not welcomed in many places and we have been charged large fees for using them, so we no longer take them. We would welcome suggestions as to how to handle this situation should it occur.
How would I handle identity theft while traveling?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Is it worth driving around Southern Tuscany if we don't drink wine?
- 2 Norway 2014
- 3 Paris apartment choices?
- 4 Olive Oil
- 5 Chinese Tourists in Paris: Not Always Happy
- 6 Madrid Apartment Rentals
- 7 Haarlem Holland - Hotels or B&Bs
- 8 Hurtigruten Cruise excursions alternatives, coast of Norway
- 9 Base in Puglia: Ostuni or Locorotondo
- 10 30 day Multi-Country Europe Trip in June- PLEASE HELP WITH ITINERARY!!!
- 11 January in Ireland: Recommendations on Lodging?
- 12 Montmartre or St.Denis
- 13 Looking for an apartment for rent in the Gracia of Barcelona
- 14 Venice cruise terminal to San Marcos, and San Marcos to airport?
- 15 17 amazing days in Tuscany, Positano and Rome – June 2014!
- 16 paris apartment opinion airbnb
- 17 Norway and maybe Denmark
- 18 Car travel within Regensburg during the Christmas season
- 19 Munich Hotel - Stay at the Westin or Sheraton Westpark?
- 20 Hey Fodor's
- 21 Stockholm - airport to city during a layover?
- 22 What to do on drive from Garmisch to Munich for a full day
- 23 Italy Trip: Another Scrap With Friction
- 24 Spain (Practical) Trip Report
- 25 Madrid: Must Try Local Food & Drink