We have just had someone manage to get and try to use our debit card and two credit cards to make large purchases withing a few minutes of each other even though the cards were not missing. Fortunately the companies involved did not approve the purchases and we were able to get new account numbers and cards. As I'm in the midst of planning a tip to Italy, I wondered how we would have managed this had we been traveling abroad. We usually consider two different credit cards and a debit card to be enough to take when we travel. If we happen to be in a big city, I imagine that we could go to an American Express office to get a new card. Other than having money wired to us by family, I couldn't think of another way to get money to continue the trip. We used to take traveler's checks but they are not welcomed in many places and we have been charged large fees for using them, so we no longer take them. We would welcome suggestions as to how to handle this situation should it occur.
How would I handle identity theft while traveling?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Venice Banning Fodors
- 2 Paris for a Week – Looking for a Day Trip Outside the City
- 3 Greece - 3 week trip - requesting input
- 4 There's no Place Like London: Part 1
- 5 Iceland with kids - purchase a 'self-drive' package or DIY?
- 6 1 Month Europe (June 2015) with 3 children, ages 6-11
- 7 4-6 weeks
- 8 Difference in price between Lufthansa and United
- 9 Why go further, Manchester Christmas Markets back soon.
- 10 Need Some Italy Planning Help
- 11 France, Italy and Greec
- 12 Rome---August and September
- 13 2 week trip - Amsterdam - Berlin - Munich -Prague
- 14 Alcobaca, Batalha and Tomar, all or one?
- 15 London, Paris, Rome Trip Report
- 16 15 days in Europe from 15 Dec 2014 to 1st Jan 2015
- 17 South of France November Trip Report
- 18 handel's messiah, new year's, paris
- 19 Clearsky Holidays
- 20 Zurich to Basel transfer
- 21 Suggestions for too many days in Milan
- 22 Five Days With Rabbies in Devon and Cornwall
- 23 Luggage sizing
- 24 Living like a local (sort of) in London
- 25 Madrid - Bernina Express