We have just had someone manage to get and try to use our debit card and two credit cards to make large purchases withing a few minutes of each other even though the cards were not missing. Fortunately the companies involved did not approve the purchases and we were able to get new account numbers and cards. As I'm in the midst of planning a tip to Italy, I wondered how we would have managed this had we been traveling abroad. We usually consider two different credit cards and a debit card to be enough to take when we travel. If we happen to be in a big city, I imagine that we could go to an American Express office to get a new card. Other than having money wired to us by family, I couldn't think of another way to get money to continue the trip. We used to take traveler's checks but they are not welcomed in many places and we have been charged large fees for using them, so we no longer take them. We would welcome suggestions as to how to handle this situation should it occur.
How would I handle identity theft while traveling?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Advise for travelling to Eastern Europe(including Balkans)
- 2 Trip Report & Tips for Greece (Nafplio, Santorini, Naxos, & Athens)
- 3 Balkan Tour Operators?
- 4 What is considered acceptable travel attire
- 5 Stay in Bayeux or Honfleur
- 6 weather and clothes in Paris Aug 2-8
- 7 FIRST TRIP TO PARIS/ITALY
- 8 Keeping it el cheapo in Copenhagen Paris and Barcelona!
- 9 Visiting Amsterdam, Brussels and Bruges
- 10 tuscany wine tours and transfers
- 11 Madrid apartment input, please
- 12 Spain for 5 days at end of August
- 13 December honeymoon in Europe
- 14 London: Oyster Card or Travelcard?
- 15 Florence veg friendly restaurant suggestions pls
- 16 How long in Venice?
- 17 Paris: A Classical Music Concert
- 18 Firenze Card OR Amici Degli Uffizi Card??
- 19 staying a month or so in each place
- 20 Beer baths, bears and bespoke cocktails in the Beskydy mountains.
- 21 URGENT: Fontana Del Papa, Tolfa Cooking School Info Pls
- 22 5 days in Florence - how would you do it?
- 23 Barcelona trip (La Festa Gracia! and more)
- 24 Robbed in Rome... by a "Police Officer"?
- 25 Copenhagen, Bergen, Stockholm, Estonia and Helsinki Getting Around