We are planning to do Rome and Tuscany in late September/early October with our then eight month old. I am looking for advice on how to structure our trip as I have read all the boards and the various insights on heading straight to Tuscany upon arrival or staying in Rome and then going to Tuscany and I just wanted to get input with our specific situation.
1) We have two weeks to work with including travel days.
2) Fly roundtrip Detroit-Rome nonstop, would rather not do FLR on one end due to nonstop from FCO to DTW. Have decided to omit Florence as we just want to take it slow and enjoy.
3) Do we scoop up rental car from FCO after arriving at 9:30am and head straight to Tuscany, looking at staying outside Siena OR do we do Rome and then head to Tuscany but then that would require overnighting in Rome again or at airport hotel before return flight not ideal but doable. I have read about taking train to Orievto and then picking up rental car from there, thoughts on that?
4) Any good AirBNB or apartment rentals in Rome/Tuscany? Budget would be around $300-400 per night. We have SPG and Marriott points to burn before merger ruins them but I know staying in a hotel room w/ baby is not ideal.
I appreciate your input everyone!!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Baby Milk
- 2 Super Cover For Hertz
- 3 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 4 Switzerland 8 day itinerary in May
- 5 Tour groups
- 6 Advice for 5 Weeks in the Nordic Countries
- 7 Spain-Portugal family trip. car or train ?
- 8 Itinerary help for first trip to Greece
- 9 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 10 Hotel in Vienna
- 11 Church service in Dubrovnik
- 12 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 13 Base for wine tasting and last night in Lisbon
- 14 First-ish Trip To UK Itinerary Suggestions?
- 15 Can No Longer o a Road Trip in Europe - what's a better train trip?
- 16 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 17 9 days and nights in Switzerland
- 18 Need help with itinerary! Switzerland, France, Italy, Slovenia, Croatia
- 19 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #150
- 20 Five day Iceland getaway in rainy November
- 21 Prague, Rome or Amsterdam
- 22 French restaurants
- 23 Paris getaway with my daughter hotel ideas
- 24 5-day rpad trip from Toulouse that includes Lourdes
- 25 Guided Group Tour of Italy--opinions please