I'm going to Lisbon and would like to see some other interesting towns in Portugal, but ultimately I would like to head into Spain and end my trip with a car tour of Galicia. Before I leave Portugal, I would like to see Evora, Coimbra, Oporto and Pinhao. I can spend as many days as needed in Portugal to make this comfortable, not rushing around.
Any thoughts about how to go about this? I really don't like "day trips". I'd rather switch hotels for a night and keep moving. As much as possible, I'd like to take trains, not drive or take buses. I know there are usually more buses than trains running in Portugal (yes?), but I don't like buses. I'd rather rent a car than take a bus, but most of all I like trains.
What would be fabulous if is there is a way to take trains the whole time in Portugal and even across the Spanish border so that I didn't have to pay a drop off fee for a car rental (I will need a car in Galicia).
Finally, am I right to think that if something needs to drop out of my wish list, it should be Evora? I am mainly going to Portugal to see historic sights, but I think I would enjoy the scenery in the Douro?
Am I crazy to go so far north in Portugal and not see the Minho river valley?
Thanks if you can offer any suggestions.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 First time in London
- 2 Daytime flights - US East Coast to Paris?
- 3 3-days Athens Itinerary, thoughts? Starting this Wednesday!
- 4 Bedbugs in Paris.
- 5 Self drive tour companies
- 6 scotland
- 7 Lamezia Terme, Italy
- 8 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 9 Ischia
- 10 One more day in Athens, any suggestions?
- 11 Vatican Museums and Scavi Tour
- 12 Road trip from Naples to Basilicata, Puglia and Bari
- 13 Barcelona
- 14 Seville- Ronda drive time
- 15 3 weeks in Central/Eastern Europe
- 16 Fine-tuning Requested: Naxos, Santorini, Athens Itinerary
- 17 Italian Honeymoon Advice
- 18 itinerary help: 18 days in Wales/Scotland
- 19 Aparthotel Adagio Paris XV feedback
- 20 No Periods in British Written English!
- 21 Best place in Italy for a tourist during Easter
- 22 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 23 3 Month Europe Itineray -- please critique
- 24 Upcoming trip to Penzance, Cornwall
- 25 Dinner get-together in Paris?
How to combine Evora, Coimbra, Oporto and Pinhao, and end up in Galicia