I'm going to Lisbon and would like to see some other interesting towns in Portugal, but ultimately I would like to head into Spain and end my trip with a car tour of Galicia. Before I leave Portugal, I would like to see Evora, Coimbra, Oporto and Pinhao. I can spend as many days as needed in Portugal to make this comfortable, not rushing around.
Any thoughts about how to go about this? I really don't like "day trips". I'd rather switch hotels for a night and keep moving. As much as possible, I'd like to take trains, not drive or take buses. I know there are usually more buses than trains running in Portugal (yes?), but I don't like buses. I'd rather rent a car than take a bus, but most of all I like trains.
What would be fabulous if is there is a way to take trains the whole time in Portugal and even across the Spanish border so that I didn't have to pay a drop off fee for a car rental (I will need a car in Galicia).
Finally, am I right to think that if something needs to drop out of my wish list, it should be Evora? I am mainly going to Portugal to see historic sights, but I think I would enjoy the scenery in the Douro?
Am I crazy to go so far north in Portugal and not see the Minho river valley?
Thanks if you can offer any suggestions.
How to combine Evora, Coimbra, Oporto and Pinhao, and end up in Galicia
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Villages to stay in Germany close to trains
- 2 9 nights in Switzerland Help!Please.
- 3 Swiss pass or Individual tickets?
- 4 France Itinerary for 2 months: Please critique and advise!
- 5 Alternatives to Heathrow hotels?
- 6 Ireland and the UK Itinerary Advice
- 7 Rue Montorgueil or 7th?
- 8 Berlin & Budapest for 8 days
- 9 5 days in Europe: Budapest/Berlin or Copenhagen/Talinn or something else?
- 10 Spain in 18days -finalizing itinerary and a special bday celebration!
- 11 Great Britain Travel- London / Edinburgh
- 12 Dordogne and Paris - April/May 2013
- 13 Hair Straightener for Europe!
- 14 9 days in turkey
- 15 Burg Eltz
- 16 Better to return car in Orvieto or airport Fiumicino (in Rome)
- 17 Germany-berlin marathon
- 18 Basque Spain to Lourdes to Carcassonne to Provence! 12 busy days solo
- 19 3 Week Trip to Italy and Paris - Suggestions
- 20 13 days Netherlands, Germany, Austria and Zermatt
- 21 My Italy Itinerary for July 2014
- 22 Paris: Help w/short and very last minute trip
- 23 Not hot in Europe in July?
- 24 itinerary help
- 25 Trenitalia has just enabled bookings for summer 2014