I'm going to Lisbon and would like to see some other interesting towns in Portugal, but ultimately I would like to head into Spain and end my trip with a car tour of Galicia. Before I leave Portugal, I would like to see Evora, Coimbra, Oporto and Pinhao. I can spend as many days as needed in Portugal to make this comfortable, not rushing around.
Any thoughts about how to go about this? I really don't like "day trips". I'd rather switch hotels for a night and keep moving. As much as possible, I'd like to take trains, not drive or take buses. I know there are usually more buses than trains running in Portugal (yes?), but I don't like buses. I'd rather rent a car than take a bus, but most of all I like trains.
What would be fabulous if is there is a way to take trains the whole time in Portugal and even across the Spanish border so that I didn't have to pay a drop off fee for a car rental (I will need a car in Galicia).
Finally, am I right to think that if something needs to drop out of my wish list, it should be Evora? I am mainly going to Portugal to see historic sights, but I think I would enjoy the scenery in the Douro?
Am I crazy to go so far north in Portugal and not see the Minho river valley?
Thanks if you can offer any suggestions.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Spain in November
- 2 The Texas Trio Tour England
- 3 How did you or your family ended up in the country you are living now?
- 4 From Genoa to Rome...
- 5 Munich Under Attack...
- 6 3 Days in Naples...
- 7 Any recommended reading before a trip to Basque country?
- 8 How big backpack do I need?
- 9 Hotel to Seville train station -- how much time needed
- 10 Help with 2nd European Spot
- 11 Two-day Detour Before Amalfi Coast
- 12 Must visit wineries in Alsace?
- 13 Dentix in Spain
- 14 One week travelling from Spain to Paris
- 15 Two weeks in Portugal in October
- 16 First trip - destination advice!
- 17 Norway Itinerary and recommendations?
- 18 Trip Report: Bergen-Andalsnes-Oslo (June/July 2016)
- 19 Need some suggestions for Andalucia / Barcelona / Madrid starting Dec 25
- 20 Stonehenge and Bath
- 21 Path of the Gods Question
- 22 Bavaria, Switzerland, Austria for Christmas...?
- 23 Should I speculate?
- 24 Germany, May'16: Four seasons in three weeks.
- 25 Prague on a budget...
How to combine Evora, Coimbra, Oporto and Pinhao, and end up in Galicia