We are a family of 4 on a 35 days road trip in France. Two of us are drivers. We are planning to drive our car from Annecy to Nice in 3rd week of May 2015 on "Combe Laval Road" also called as ROUTE DE GENTLY and then on to Route Napoleon to Nice. This route is famous for cycling and motor cycling. It is listed in "Most dangerous Roads" but also most spectacular route in France.
A. Has anyone driven a car on this road?
How safe is it?
I have driven from Las Vegas to Lake Mono and then into Yosemite valley and then on to Monterrey. But this road looks much more breath taking than that.
Will want a first hand report before we embark on this adventure ride.
If we were not to take this route, which route can you suggest/
B. This drive from Annecy to nice is 444 km and takes around 7 hours without a stop.
I intend to leave early by 5.00 am or so. Is it advisable to drive this stretch in 1 day? (with 2 stops- 1 at Sisteron and another at some other place. (pl suggest)
What would be a realistic time to travel this stretch? Is it advisable to have a night halt in between? We are OK with reaching NICE before sundown.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Please critique my itinerary in Italy
- 2 Cote d'Azur--Having Second Thoughts...
- 3 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 4 Traveling Greece without reservations
- 5 Petrol in Greece
- 6 Paris day trips August
- 7 Bridging the gap between US and Europe
- 8 Milan to Switzerland for skiing
- 9 Paris to Orly Airport Public Transport
- 10 Acorn TV
- 11 Spain in July
- 12 Last minute (next week) London GTG?
- 13 Germany train help!
- 14 Train help for Prague
- 15 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 16 Athens
- 17 Transportation from Brno train station
- 18 Budapest & Prague
- 19 Swiss Travel Pass
- 20 Need Info - Vienna, Prague, Venice, Geneva, Paris,
- 21 10 days in Paris and......
- 22 Destination from London by train, advice please
- 23 4 Days in Amalfi in April - Without a car??
- 24 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 25 Input desired concerning my Sicily itinerary
How safe is "Combe Laval Road" or ROUTE DE GENTLY to drive a car?