We are a family of 4 on a 35 days road trip in France. Two of us are drivers. We are planning to drive our car from Annecy to Nice in 3rd week of May 2015 on "Combe Laval Road" also called as ROUTE DE GENTLY and then on to Route Napoleon to Nice. This route is famous for cycling and motor cycling. It is listed in "Most dangerous Roads" but also most spectacular route in France.
A. Has anyone driven a car on this road?
How safe is it?
I have driven from Las Vegas to Lake Mono and then into Yosemite valley and then on to Monterrey. But this road looks much more breath taking than that.
Will want a first hand report before we embark on this adventure ride.
If we were not to take this route, which route can you suggest/
B. This drive from Annecy to nice is 444 km and takes around 7 hours without a stop.
I intend to leave early by 5.00 am or so. Is it advisable to drive this stretch in 1 day? (with 2 stops- 1 at Sisteron and another at some other place. (pl suggest)
What would be a realistic time to travel this stretch? Is it advisable to have a night halt in between? We are OK with reaching NICE before sundown.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 2 kimhe or others - flamenco rec in Sevilla?
- 3 getting to CDG
- 4 Scotland 10 Nights - Trying To Narrow Down Where To Go & Stay
- 5 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 6 Iceland 9 Days Late March - Review Itinerary!
- 7 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 8 2 week trip to Lisbon, Porto, Douro, seeking input
- 9 Amalfi Coast help
- 10 Day trips ideas from Lausanne, Switzerland
- 11 CDG airport and connection time
- 12 Paris getaway with my daughter hotel ideas
- 13 Day trip to Montserrat - any tips?
- 14 Another northern Italy itinerary.
- 15 Amalfi coast hotel recs
- 16 solo guy traveling to europe help please
- 17 Tripcho Travel Guided Tours
- 18 Trains in Alps and UK
- 19 Switzerland
- 20 January Sicily and exploding cornetto al cioccolato
- 21 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 22 Itinerary help needed: 10-11 days in Calabria, Siciily, and (maybe) Puglia
- 23 Spending Money for 10 Days in France/Italy
- 24 2 Months - Dubrovnik to Frankfurt Itinerary
- 25 Need itinerary help! Dolomites to Austria through Hallstat to Venice
How safe is "Combe Laval Road" or ROUTE DE GENTLY to drive a car?