I'm travelling to Italy in June, and will be there with my family (wife and two year-old son) for 24 days. After six days in Rome, we will be driving east to Pescara, and then all the way south into the Salentine Peninsula. I've already reserved my car rental, however I've been reluctant to purchase the GPS add-on for a couple of reasons. For starters, I find the price rather steep. For what I'd pay to rent a GPS in Italy, I could purchase one here in Canada, and simply download the map. Secondly, I'm the proud owner of an iPad 2, with 3G capability, and I understand that it too can function as a GPS. Thirdly, once I reach my rental in Puglia, I will inherit a GPS from the owner. So, essentially, I'm only in need of the GPS for my road tripping into Abruzzo, and then south into Puglia.
I do not want to incur astronomical roaming fees while I'm on vacation, so my question is this: Is it possible to use my iPad 2 as a GPS without ever connecting to the internet? I hope not to make use of any data plan while I'm away, and aside from when I'm connecting to free wi-fi don't intend to use it as an on-line device. If I download the TomTom Italy map from the App Store, can I use it off-line while I'm driving? Or do I need to be connected to the internet?
Thank you in advance for your help. I know that this is more of a technical question, but I'm curious to hear about other travellers who have experience in this arena.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 2 Lisbon hotel
- 3 10 nights in Umbria before Rome- advice please
- 4 Trip route from Paris to Venice
- 5 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 6 Paris to Nice - 4x 50 somethings and 5 nights - what to do!
- 7 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 8 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 9 Marksburg Castle Transport Question
- 10 Italy
- 11 4 Days in Tuscany
- 12 If you had to choose one......
- 13 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 14 Switzerland
- 15 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 16 Polish: Enough Indo-European Similarity to Make Picking up Words Easier?
- 17 Amsterdam and Beyond - 7 Days
- 18 Another northern Italy itinerary.
- 19 Revised itinerary for italy
- 20 Italy and Switzerlan Travel Advice
- 21 Seville/Granada or Porto/Guim/Braga/Evora to impress 9 year old?
- 22 Bern to Munich, BlaBla Car & Dresden
- 23 Itinerary help for first trip to Greece
- 24 Recommendations for meandering travel this fall in Spain and Portugal
- 25 Rome, Florence and Venice for each city 2 days