I'm travelling to Italy in June, and will be there with my family (wife and two year-old son) for 24 days. After six days in Rome, we will be driving east to Pescara, and then all the way south into the Salentine Peninsula. I've already reserved my car rental, however I've been reluctant to purchase the GPS add-on for a couple of reasons. For starters, I find the price rather steep. For what I'd pay to rent a GPS in Italy, I could purchase one here in Canada, and simply download the map. Secondly, I'm the proud owner of an iPad 2, with 3G capability, and I understand that it too can function as a GPS. Thirdly, once I reach my rental in Puglia, I will inherit a GPS from the owner. So, essentially, I'm only in need of the GPS for my road tripping into Abruzzo, and then south into Puglia.
I do not want to incur astronomical roaming fees while I'm on vacation, so my question is this: Is it possible to use my iPad 2 as a GPS without ever connecting to the internet? I hope not to make use of any data plan while I'm away, and aside from when I'm connecting to free wi-fi don't intend to use it as an on-line device. If I download the TomTom Italy map from the App Store, can I use it off-line while I'm driving? Or do I need to be connected to the internet?
Thank you in advance for your help. I know that this is more of a technical question, but I'm curious to hear about other travellers who have experience in this arena.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Hotels in Turin
- 2 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 3 Verona to/around Lake Garda: Sights
- 4 Konigsee or Wolfgangsee for a stay of 3 days ?
- 5 Venice Airport Car Return Center to Water Taxi Shuttle Area
- 6 Train transfer questions and safety - France/NL/Belgium/UK
- 7 Breakfast Outside of Dublin off M7 (Driving to West Coast)
- 8 Day trips from Seville -Granada, Cadiz&Jerez or white villages
- 9 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 10 Warning about visa subcontractor VFS Global in Chicago
- 11 3 days solo in London
- 12 4 Days in Europe! Paris, Lisbon, or...?
- 13 Where to stay first night near Manchester
- 14 Help on ancient history route
- 15 Chania
- 16 Days to Avoid Roussillon, Gordes, etc.
- 17 Now to Madrid
- 18 Lunch in Lake Garda
- 19 Trip Report: The last hurrah? A fortnight in Lake Como
- 20 Village visit in Northern Italy
- 21 May Honeymoon in Sorrento?
- 22 Riviera di Ponente in mid October
- 23 If you visit London, go to the Kew Gardens!
- 24 Sicily: which coast?
- 25 Packing for Sicily and Sardenia: Need anything Warm?