I'm travelling to Italy in June, and will be there with my family (wife and two year-old son) for 24 days. After six days in Rome, we will be driving east to Pescara, and then all the way south into the Salentine Peninsula. I've already reserved my car rental, however I've been reluctant to purchase the GPS add-on for a couple of reasons. For starters, I find the price rather steep. For what I'd pay to rent a GPS in Italy, I could purchase one here in Canada, and simply download the map. Secondly, I'm the proud owner of an iPad 2, with 3G capability, and I understand that it too can function as a GPS. Thirdly, once I reach my rental in Puglia, I will inherit a GPS from the owner. So, essentially, I'm only in need of the GPS for my road tripping into Abruzzo, and then south into Puglia.
I do not want to incur astronomical roaming fees while I'm on vacation, so my question is this: Is it possible to use my iPad 2 as a GPS without ever connecting to the internet? I hope not to make use of any data plan while I'm away, and aside from when I'm connecting to free wi-fi don't intend to use it as an on-line device. If I download the TomTom Italy map from the App Store, can I use it off-line while I'm driving? Or do I need to be connected to the internet?
Thank you in advance for your help. I know that this is more of a technical question, but I'm curious to hear about other travellers who have experience in this arena.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Provence best farmstays!!??
- 2 Visiting London 05/02 - 05/20 (US dates)
- 3 Summer 2016: Little details I worried about – and need not have
- 4 Venice > Garda > Verona > Bologna thoughts
- 5 Parma/strasbourg or frankfurt???
- 6 Trip to Rome
- 7 Connection time of 1:25 in Zurich on flight from US. Enough time?
- 8 4 or 5 nights in Rome? 4 or 5 nights on AC?
- 9 Cotswolds cottage ideas
- 10 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #163
- 11 Itinerary review from a overplanner
- 12 Moving Around Amalfi without a car
- 13 Train in Switzerland from Basel to Zermatt to Zurich
- 14 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 15 Advice on Sicily & Aeolian Islands
- 16 Neighborhood for Dubrovnik
- 17 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 18 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 19 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 20 4 Days In Northern Italy advice
- 21 Buying Train Tickets to and from Prague
- 22 Where to stay in September in the Swiss Alps
- 23 Advice for 5 Weeks in the Nordic Countries
- 24 Help required with Itinerary
- 25 European Travel & Trivia Quiz #162