I'm travelling to Italy in June, and will be there with my family (wife and two year-old son) for 24 days. After six days in Rome, we will be driving east to Pescara, and then all the way south into the Salentine Peninsula. I've already reserved my car rental, however I've been reluctant to purchase the GPS add-on for a couple of reasons. For starters, I find the price rather steep. For what I'd pay to rent a GPS in Italy, I could purchase one here in Canada, and simply download the map. Secondly, I'm the proud owner of an iPad 2, with 3G capability, and I understand that it too can function as a GPS. Thirdly, once I reach my rental in Puglia, I will inherit a GPS from the owner. So, essentially, I'm only in need of the GPS for my road tripping into Abruzzo, and then south into Puglia.
I do not want to incur astronomical roaming fees while I'm on vacation, so my question is this: Is it possible to use my iPad 2 as a GPS without ever connecting to the internet? I hope not to make use of any data plan while I'm away, and aside from when I'm connecting to free wi-fi don't intend to use it as an on-line device. If I download the TomTom Italy map from the App Store, can I use it off-line while I'm driving? Or do I need to be connected to the internet?
Thank you in advance for your help. I know that this is more of a technical question, but I'm curious to hear about other travellers who have experience in this arena.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 To St. Pancras at stupid-o'clock: how would you do it?
- 2 London theatre fans: advance info about Globe productions?
- 3 Pure Forskolin XT @ http://fornatgaex.com/pure-forskolin-xt-reviews/
- 4 Gas/Petrol shortages in France?
- 5 How best to spend a long day in Warnemunde
- 6 Fake police scam in Budapest
- 7 Verdun ceremonies -- 100th anniversary of the battle
- 8 12 days in the Italian Lakes
- 9 One Way... trust or bust?
- 10 3-ish Countries in 3 Weeks?
- 11 However, once you've gotten
- 12 American Style Restaurants in London
- 13 The Definitive Guide to Behave Like A Local in Spain
- 14 After Mass, on a Sunday, in Rome
- 15 Input on this 8 Day London Itinerary
- 16 Edinburgh Nightlife
- 17 Girls trip - Lisbon
- 18 Walking GPS?
- 19 Book recommendation: Non-travel book about the Dolomites
- 20 July 2-5, 2012 Int'l Philosphy Conference at Assos, Turkey (near Troy)
- 21 Cross Border Car Rental in Balkans
- 22 The most interesting city/town in the UK-in your opinion
- 23 When to Arrive At The Airport
- 24 Traveling advice for Amalfi coast
- 25 France: advice on where to go with young kids