I'm travelling to Italy in June, and will be there with my family (wife and two year-old son) for 24 days. After six days in Rome, we will be driving east to Pescara, and then all the way south into the Salentine Peninsula. I've already reserved my car rental, however I've been reluctant to purchase the GPS add-on for a couple of reasons. For starters, I find the price rather steep. For what I'd pay to rent a GPS in Italy, I could purchase one here in Canada, and simply download the map. Secondly, I'm the proud owner of an iPad 2, with 3G capability, and I understand that it too can function as a GPS. Thirdly, once I reach my rental in Puglia, I will inherit a GPS from the owner. So, essentially, I'm only in need of the GPS for my road tripping into Abruzzo, and then south into Puglia.
I do not want to incur astronomical roaming fees while I'm on vacation, so my question is this: Is it possible to use my iPad 2 as a GPS without ever connecting to the internet? I hope not to make use of any data plan while I'm away, and aside from when I'm connecting to free wi-fi don't intend to use it as an on-line device. If I download the TomTom Italy map from the App Store, can I use it off-line while I'm driving? Or do I need to be connected to the internet?
Thank you in advance for your help. I know that this is more of a technical question, but I'm curious to hear about other travellers who have experience in this arena.
How is the iPad 2 (3G) as a GPS in Italy?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help us plan our first trip to Italy
- 2 Traveling to Ireland and UK for 15 days
- 3 Airport advice- from NYC to French Alps, then onto Provence
- 4 Paris Markets for a 5 Course Meal
- 5 Cosmetics from Paris. Any favorites Not Available Here?
- 6 4-5 Days in Switzerland before Paris? Is Berne the place to go?
- 7 Soccer (Football) tickets for Fiorentina game in early October
- 8 Paris: Citypharma Du Four Bonaparte - a Trader Joe's for Beauty Items...
- 9 How Much Did You Like Slovenia?
- 10 paris apartment opinion airbnb
- 11 Official Italy Tourism Website
- 12 Air France strike is extended until 26 September
- 13 Coffee in Paris - Article from teh NYT
- 14 Are you following Scotland's upcoming vote on independence?
- 15 Drat! -- Always cancel credit card after European car rental
- 16 Sardinia in early May
- 17 Finistère Base
- 18 Visiting Exciting Turkey in the Throes of Restoration
- 19 First visit to France in November
- 20 Photographer in Paris?
- 21 Stansted Express Tickets - Advance Purchase
- 22 Venice; recommendations
- 23 3.5 Weeks in Europe with no luggage
- 24 Two Sisters-in-law in Italy
- 25 24-Hour Layover in Hamburg