I'm travelling to Italy in June, and will be there with my family (wife and two year-old son) for 24 days. After six days in Rome, we will be driving east to Pescara, and then all the way south into the Salentine Peninsula. I've already reserved my car rental, however I've been reluctant to purchase the GPS add-on for a couple of reasons. For starters, I find the price rather steep. For what I'd pay to rent a GPS in Italy, I could purchase one here in Canada, and simply download the map. Secondly, I'm the proud owner of an iPad 2, with 3G capability, and I understand that it too can function as a GPS. Thirdly, once I reach my rental in Puglia, I will inherit a GPS from the owner. So, essentially, I'm only in need of the GPS for my road tripping into Abruzzo, and then south into Puglia.
I do not want to incur astronomical roaming fees while I'm on vacation, so my question is this: Is it possible to use my iPad 2 as a GPS without ever connecting to the internet? I hope not to make use of any data plan while I'm away, and aside from when I'm connecting to free wi-fi don't intend to use it as an on-line device. If I download the TomTom Italy map from the App Store, can I use it off-line while I'm driving? Or do I need to be connected to the internet?
Thank you in advance for your help. I know that this is more of a technical question, but I'm curious to hear about other travellers who have experience in this arena.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 마카오호텔 ...ค้้้้้้้้้้้้้접 속:vtk17.COM.+//
- 2 Is winter nice season to visit Hallstatt, Austria ?
- 3 Back from Paris
- 4 Omonia metro to Piraeus
- 5 릴게임총판 ≪접속주소 :≫vtk15.com≪
- 6 5 days near Munich, Germany in late-May
- 7 10 days in Paris and......
- 8 Last minute (next week) London GTG?
- 9 LIsbon
- 10 Norway, Sweden, Denmark
- 11 After Beaune, need suggestions for the next 10 days
- 12 London Hotels
- 13 Iceland in 7 days.
- 14 In Search of Montalbano - the ups and downs of 10 days in Eastern Sicily
- 15 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #139
- 16 London-Help Me Spend Money
- 17 Mont St. Michel in winter
- 18 Luggage Storage
- 19 Are St. Chapelle concerts just for tourists?
- 20 Where to weekend away from Frankfurt
- 21 Paris hotels
- 22 The mouse munches her way through far off lands: The Christams Edition
- 23 From Portugal to the Pyrenees and onto Paris
- 24 UK: "Ghost Trains!"
- 25 Intercity Notte training boarding time