I'm travelling to Italy in June, and will be there with my family (wife and two year-old son) for 24 days. After six days in Rome, we will be driving east to Pescara, and then all the way south into the Salentine Peninsula. I've already reserved my car rental, however I've been reluctant to purchase the GPS add-on for a couple of reasons. For starters, I find the price rather steep. For what I'd pay to rent a GPS in Italy, I could purchase one here in Canada, and simply download the map. Secondly, I'm the proud owner of an iPad 2, with 3G capability, and I understand that it too can function as a GPS. Thirdly, once I reach my rental in Puglia, I will inherit a GPS from the owner. So, essentially, I'm only in need of the GPS for my road tripping into Abruzzo, and then south into Puglia.
I do not want to incur astronomical roaming fees while I'm on vacation, so my question is this: Is it possible to use my iPad 2 as a GPS without ever connecting to the internet? I hope not to make use of any data plan while I'm away, and aside from when I'm connecting to free wi-fi don't intend to use it as an on-line device. If I download the TomTom Italy map from the App Store, can I use it off-line while I'm driving? Or do I need to be connected to the internet?
Thank you in advance for your help. I know that this is more of a technical question, but I'm curious to hear about other travellers who have experience in this arena.
How is the iPad 2 (3G) as a GPS in Italy?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Driving from Rome Airport to Montepulciano -- Toll Question
- 2 Paris -> Berlin - What's the cheapest mode of transportation?
- 3 Where to go for 3 nights in northern Italy
- 4 Venice (Somewhere) and Trieste (Nowhere)—With a Bit of Slovenia In Between
- 5 Blackpool Lights 2014: Tripping the Lights Fantastic in Northern England!
- 6 Venice - boats on canals
- 7 Belated Paris trip report, May 16-24 2014 part 2: the actual trip
- 8 Finalizing our Austria and Switzerland trip - last minute advice?
- 9 There's No Place Like London: Part 2
- 10 Carry On Luggage
- 11 I was (partially) wrong about debit cards vs. cash
- 12 How do you organize yourself on vacation?
- 13 France: which maps?
- 14 Paul Bocuse restaurant in Lyon
- 15 luggage suggestions
- 16 England in November - Comments on Itinerary?
- 17 USA to Europe Adapter Plug
- 18 Prado free evenings
- 19 Ireland- Itinerary Planning Late September- 10 days
- 20 Cooking classes in Paris - Cook n' with Class or La Cuisine?
- 21 Santorini and Naxos Food & Activity Recommendations Wanted!
- 22 Jamikins and Bikerscott Head Back to Le Marche
- 23 Maitaitom & Tracy's Romantic 20th Anniversary Paris 2014 Trip In September
- 24 Portugal - Need Itinerary Help
- 25 Paris - city hotel with easy access to Paris Nord Villepinte Expo?