I'm travelling to Italy in June, and will be there with my family (wife and two year-old son) for 24 days. After six days in Rome, we will be driving east to Pescara, and then all the way south into the Salentine Peninsula. I've already reserved my car rental, however I've been reluctant to purchase the GPS add-on for a couple of reasons. For starters, I find the price rather steep. For what I'd pay to rent a GPS in Italy, I could purchase one here in Canada, and simply download the map. Secondly, I'm the proud owner of an iPad 2, with 3G capability, and I understand that it too can function as a GPS. Thirdly, once I reach my rental in Puglia, I will inherit a GPS from the owner. So, essentially, I'm only in need of the GPS for my road tripping into Abruzzo, and then south into Puglia.
I do not want to incur astronomical roaming fees while I'm on vacation, so my question is this: Is it possible to use my iPad 2 as a GPS without ever connecting to the internet? I hope not to make use of any data plan while I'm away, and aside from when I'm connecting to free wi-fi don't intend to use it as an on-line device. If I download the TomTom Italy map from the App Store, can I use it off-line while I'm driving? Or do I need to be connected to the internet?
Thank you in advance for your help. I know that this is more of a technical question, but I'm curious to hear about other travellers who have experience in this arena.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 T Mobile Does it Again
- 2 European Championship
- 3 Will July 23 Become England's Independence Day?
- 4 How not to behave in Iceland
- 5 Italy trains question
- 6 Itinerary set for my grand Basque adventure
- 7 Scotland--transport from Dundee wharf to Edinburgh city center
- 8 Here I plan again....Amsterdam
- 9 Two nights with kids in Normandy/Brittany
- 10 Elbe Bike Trip 2 with a nasty end
- 11 Christmas in Edinburgh, Scotland
- 12 currency
- 13 to do with kids 2 1/2 days with a layover in frankfurt
- 14 Dr Manahel Thabet- Best Places to Visit in Europe
- 15 8 days in Madrid/Sevilla/Granada
- 16 Sagrada Familia-Guide or Audio
- 17 Bern, Switzerland: Anything Open on Jan 1st?
- 18 IN EUROPE - EPISODE THREE - KARLOVY VARY, DRESDEN
- 19 IN EUROPE - EPISODE THREE - KARLOVY VARY, DRESDEN
- 20 Help planning!! 3 days between Kandersteg & Interlaken
- 21 Help. Medical escort needed after accident during holiday.
- 22 Sardinia Italian's paradise
- 23 Trip Report: Edinburgh, York, Cornwall and Highclere
- 24 Reflections on our Trip to Barcelona, Languedoc, Dordogne and Paris
- 25 want to use Iphone in UK and Italy