I’ve been on the forums for a number of years and many of you probably know that I truly love learning languages. English and French are by far my best two languages as I use both on a daily basis for all sorts of business and social transactions. I manage simple conversations in Spanish and I follow the news reasonably well, although I’m feeling a bit rusty these days. Dutch I’ve studied full-on for about a year-and-a-half, I’m reaching a point where I follow a fair amount of a newscast, although I find shows for kids (such as one newscast for kids, Jeugdjournaal) in standard Dutch I do much better with.
I still want to improve on the languages I’ve reached a certain level of competency in; however I’m toying with the idea of adding another language for future European trips. German, Italian and Portuguese come to mind. German I took one semester of about 20 years ago; basic stuff, a fair amount of which is forgotten. One reason I chose to learn Dutch over German is because I remember people bemoaning how hard German is; German has cases, while Dutch doesn’t use them all that much anymore. German has 3 genders, Dutch has two but one of these is used much less than the other.
My question is this: for those of you who have tried German. I understand that mastering the grammar and nuances of the language probably takes a long time (heck in French & English, I’m still learning vocabulary words), but how long did you find it took you to reach a level where you could be understood by and understand German speakers in ordinary polite conversation? Even though the two languages have differences, my relative success in Dutch (even though I've got a long way to go there yet!) is giving me confidence that I might have success in German as well.
Best wishes, Daniel
How Challenging Did You Find German to Learn?
- 1 Trulli Foodie Puglia-two weeks to eat through!!!
- 2 Popping in and out of Ireland
- 3 Costa del Sol (Spain) versus Cote d Azur (France) ??
- 4 Northern Italy Honeymoon- Alps and Italian Favorites
- 5 Taxi Availability from Bus Station
- 6 Venice passes....confusing as heck!
- 7 Best option for Dollars to Euros for apartment payment"
- 8 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 9 Apartments in Rome
- 10 Is there a Morning Ferry from Mykonos to Paros in late May on a Friday?
- 11 Which travel plan?
- 12 San Sebastian and 2 day trips into France...lodging and places to see
- 13 Chambermaid tipping
- 14 London's Proposed New Airport...
- 15 Orvieto ro Pompei day trip in late December?
- 16 Frankfurt to Bamberg day trip - train ticket question
- 17 Advantages and Disadvantages of Visiting Turkey At This Time
- 18 Ira Has Been Kidnapped
- 19 November Solo Madness in Ireland 2013!
- 20 London for Christmas
- 21 To Paris and Provence in June
- 22 Looking for a serviced apartment in York
- 23 Home from Rome - a trip report
- 24 Euro Train
- 25 Anniversary Weekend in Paris