Our plan was to pick up a car in Venice, drive the Dolomites and then drive to Austria. We are starting our Dolomites portion of the trip in July so we can take the lifts for hiking. They open late June. We were going to take two weeks driving the Dolomites and two weeks driving mountain areas in Austria (Zillertal, Grossglockner region, for instance) ending up in Salzburg and taking the train to Vienna for a few days. There are some places, like Hallstatt, to which we would take side trips by train. A major problem is that if we pickup a car in Italy and drive it into Austria then the drop off charges are exorbitant. We don't think we can be without a car in either the Dolomites or much of Austria because we will want to do some driving tours.
When I say fees are high, I got quoted $4000 plus $800 drop off fees for one month. I've leased a car before but the fees are still high because I am not picking up or dropping off the car in France.
So I am thinking of picking up in Venice and drop off maybe Bolzano or even drop off in Venice and fly to Salzburg and pick up and drop off car there.
Does anybody have any suggestions? Or has anyone done this?
One time we ended up dropping car up in Como, taking the train to Switzerland and picking up another car there.
Maria in Los Angeles
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris - Top Foodie Eats? Staying near Le Marais
- 2 2 days in Lugano area
- 3 Charming Balcony Hotel in Le Marais?
- 4 Scotland & UK: 2 weeks with Sheep & Cows
- 5 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 6 Tuscany First Time
- 7 Dordogne for 6 full days in early September itinerary for comment!
- 8 Short Trip in Spain taggin along work trip
- 9 Switzerland in October
- 10 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 11 Recommendations
- 12 Searching for a restaurant in Le Marais for Sunday lunch in August
- 13 Milan/Venice/Florence in October?
- 14 PORTO (???) combine with Galicia??
- 15 Sicily in 3 Weeks
- 16 3 Weeks in Sicilia!!
- 17 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy
- 18 Italy in January?
- 19 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 20 Paris- restaurant
- 21 4 Days in Europe! Paris, Lisbon, or...?
- 22 4 nights in Provence, advice
- 23 Iceland car rental agencies
- 24 Day Trip to Capri: Advice Needed
- 25 Happy birthday ATM
How can I combine Austria and the Dolomites in Italy by car?