Our plan was to pick up a car in Venice, drive the Dolomites and then drive to Austria. We are starting our Dolomites portion of the trip in July so we can take the lifts for hiking. They open late June. We were going to take two weeks driving the Dolomites and two weeks driving mountain areas in Austria (Zillertal, Grossglockner region, for instance) ending up in Salzburg and taking the train to Vienna for a few days. There are some places, like Hallstatt, to which we would take side trips by train. A major problem is that if we pickup a car in Italy and drive it into Austria then the drop off charges are exorbitant. We don't think we can be without a car in either the Dolomites or much of Austria because we will want to do some driving tours.
When I say fees are high, I got quoted $4000 plus $800 drop off fees for one month. I've leased a car before but the fees are still high because I am not picking up or dropping off the car in France.
So I am thinking of picking up in Venice and drop off maybe Bolzano or even drop off in Venice and fly to Salzburg and pick up and drop off car there.
Does anybody have any suggestions? Or has anyone done this?
One time we ended up dropping car up in Como, taking the train to Switzerland and picking up another car there.
Maria in Los Angeles
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help!! 2 week Europe trip with 6 year old daughter in December!!
- 2 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 3 Full day in Sintra..what to focus on
- 4 Which airport for Bellagio?
- 5 Overnight trip from Barcelona
- 6 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 7 5 Days in Switzerland
- 8 Bernese Oberland + Luzern 4 days
- 9 Where to weekend away from Frankfurt
- 10 Spain in July
- 11 Northern Italy with 2 kids itinerary help
- 12 International Flight Question
- 13 Honeymoon on a Budget
- 14 I need help deciding ASAP!
- 15 Dresden: How Many Nights?
- 16 We're here!
- 17 Choosing a hotel - Campo de' Fiori or Piazza Venezia?
- 18 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 19 New Law Regarding Vacation Rentals in Paris
- 20 4+ days in Lisbon over NYE, should we visit Sintra?
- 21 Mon Dieu! The Cops Are After Me
- 22 Scandinavia - By land or by sea?
- 23 Destination from London by train, advice please
- 24 Interesting places to visit
- 25 Europe Travel & Trivia Quiz #138- Bridges, Tunnels!
How can I combine Austria and the Dolomites in Italy by car?