Our plan was to pick up a car in Venice, drive the Dolomites and then drive to Austria. We are starting our Dolomites portion of the trip in July so we can take the lifts for hiking. They open late June. We were going to take two weeks driving the Dolomites and two weeks driving mountain areas in Austria (Zillertal, Grossglockner region, for instance) ending up in Salzburg and taking the train to Vienna for a few days. There are some places, like Hallstatt, to which we would take side trips by train. A major problem is that if we pickup a car in Italy and drive it into Austria then the drop off charges are exorbitant. We don't think we can be without a car in either the Dolomites or much of Austria because we will want to do some driving tours.
When I say fees are high, I got quoted $4000 plus $800 drop off fees for one month. I've leased a car before but the fees are still high because I am not picking up or dropping off the car in France.
So I am thinking of picking up in Venice and drop off maybe Bolzano or even drop off in Venice and fly to Salzburg and pick up and drop off car there.
Does anybody have any suggestions? Or has anyone done this?
One time we ended up dropping car up in Como, taking the train to Switzerland and picking up another car there.
Maria in Los Angeles
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 What tips can you give about packing?
- 2 Train in Switzerland from Basel to Zermatt to Zurich
- 3 Experience with Earthbound Tours
- 4 Greek Islands (small)
- 5 Taking a high speed train from Rome, Italy to Venice, Italy for a day trip.
- 6 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 7 Scotland in 7 Days
- 8 Azores
- 9 Madrid, Barcelona and .....
- 10 Booking trains in Europe (Venice to Chur)
- 11 San Francisco retirees would like to move to Paris for a year- crazy idea?
- 12 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 13 Climbing Ben Nevis in June
- 14 Cascais or Algarve?
- 15 Souvenirs to collect while backpacking?
- 16 Cotswolds cottage ideas
- 17 Advice on car and getting around Aeolian Islands
- 18 Splitting 11 days between Amsterdam and Dubrovnik
- 19 Bergen Hotel -- near Port ?
- 20 NO Luggage Storage at Padua train station?
- 21 Opinion on sights in Florence
- 22 roaming Prague...but for how long?
- 23 Short Trip in July
- 24 Barcelona to Paris - Road trip in between?
- 25 Planning a solo trip mostly to France, advice please!
How can I combine Austria and the Dolomites in Italy by car?