My husband and I are returning to Italy this summer and would like to visit the Dolomites. We are flying into Marco Polo Airport the second week in July. We originally planned to stay in Venice 3 nights and then Varenna 3 nights before going to Cinque Terre. Varenna and Venice are flexible, but Cinque Terre is set in our itinerary as we will visit friends there.
So here's what we are considering::
1. Rent car at airport, go to Dolomites - stay 3 nights and drop car in Como on way to Varenna - stay 3 nights
2. Venice 2 nights, rent car, Dolomites 2 nights, drop off car in Como, Varenna 2 nights
3. Join tour company/guide for Dolomite part of trip and not rent a car
Some background info:
We usually use train and bus to travel in Italy, but we did rent a car one year for visiting Piedmont region. We typically stay 3-4 nights at each stop, but think we would be fine with the 2-2-2 scenario for this trip to include Dolomites. We have been to Venice many times (we enjoy just being there and walking around) and this will be our second time to Lake Como region.
How difficult getting from Dolomites to Varenna by car?
Where should we drop car on way to Varenna
Where should we stay in Dolomites?
I would appreciate any advice/recommendations.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 2 Driving through Paris
- 3 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 4 Spanish Medical Providers
- 5 Italy Car Scam
- 6 Road trip with our dog
- 7 Undiscovered Places in Paris
- 8 Sicily in feb? If not, where to from Israel?
- 9 Barcelona alternative
- 10 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 11 So Many Places, So Little Time-17 Day Euro Trip--HELP!
- 12 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 13 Vacation apartment registration begins in Paris 1 Oct
- 14 Restaurant recs for French food in Montreux and surrounding area
- 15 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 16 Stanbr and Lolly visit Eastern Crete
- 17 Great Value Vacations - NOT
- 18 Looking for a 5 star resort on Spanish coast for January
- 19 Help with Portugal Itinerary Please
- 20 Restaurant recs for French food in Montreux and surrounding area
- 21 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 22 Suggestion for trip to Switzerland, Greece and Italy
- 23 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 24 Need help with Honeymoon - Italy, Slovenia, Croatia
- 25 Can parking