My husband and I are returning to Italy this summer and would like to visit the Dolomites. We are flying into Marco Polo Airport the second week in July. We originally planned to stay in Venice 3 nights and then Varenna 3 nights before going to Cinque Terre. Varenna and Venice are flexible, but Cinque Terre is set in our itinerary as we will visit friends there.
So here's what we are considering::
1. Rent car at airport, go to Dolomites - stay 3 nights and drop car in Como on way to Varenna - stay 3 nights
2. Venice 2 nights, rent car, Dolomites 2 nights, drop off car in Como, Varenna 2 nights
3. Join tour company/guide for Dolomite part of trip and not rent a car
Some background info:
We usually use train and bus to travel in Italy, but we did rent a car one year for visiting Piedmont region. We typically stay 3-4 nights at each stop, but think we would be fine with the 2-2-2 scenario for this trip to include Dolomites. We have been to Venice many times (we enjoy just being there and walking around) and this will be our second time to Lake Como region.
How difficult getting from Dolomites to Varenna by car?
Where should we drop car on way to Varenna
Where should we stay in Dolomites?
I would appreciate any advice/recommendations.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 GMX@ Password Reset CONTACT ☎ 1:800:681:7208 Tech c*Are 24/7
- 2 Day Trips from Zug in Switzerland
- 3 Late November with a 7-month-old - Portugal?
- 4 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 5 Best walking route Plitvice Lakes
- 6 London with Teens Trip Report
- 7 Bregenzer Festspiele: the opera Carmen
- 8 Cortona -- just a passing thought
- 9 Sitting at a cafe watching the world go by - hmmm...
- 10 Charming Balcony Hotel in Le Marais?
- 11 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 12 Day trip from Amsterdam for college girls
- 13 Trains from Istanbul to Budapest
- 14 Madrid/Andalucia Trip
- 15 Madrird and Seville
- 16 Greece
- 17 Ludwig Castles
- 18 3 Weeks in Sicilia!!
- 19 FYI, Bourdain in Porto, this Sunday (July 2)
- 20 Lake Como AREA questions
- 21 RS view on booking.com & the like
- 22 Konigsee or Wolfgangsee for a stay of 3 days ?
- 23 Italy- dolomites and cinque terre
- 24 David's Abbreviated Iceland Trip Report
- 25 Help on ancient history route