My husband and I are returning to Italy this summer and would like to visit the Dolomites. We are flying into Marco Polo Airport the second week in July. We originally planned to stay in Venice 3 nights and then Varenna 3 nights before going to Cinque Terre. Varenna and Venice are flexible, but Cinque Terre is set in our itinerary as we will visit friends there.
So here's what we are considering::
1. Rent car at airport, go to Dolomites - stay 3 nights and drop car in Como on way to Varenna - stay 3 nights
2. Venice 2 nights, rent car, Dolomites 2 nights, drop off car in Como, Varenna 2 nights
3. Join tour company/guide for Dolomite part of trip and not rent a car
Some background info:
We usually use train and bus to travel in Italy, but we did rent a car one year for visiting Piedmont region. We typically stay 3-4 nights at each stop, but think we would be fine with the 2-2-2 scenario for this trip to include Dolomites. We have been to Venice many times (we enjoy just being there and walking around) and this will be our second time to Lake Como region.
How difficult getting from Dolomites to Varenna by car?
Where should we drop car on way to Varenna
Where should we stay in Dolomites?
I would appreciate any advice/recommendations.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 train from Bucharest to Brasov
- 2 Towns or hikes along Lake Lucerne
- 3 How to leave Slovenia for US?
- 4 base for Andalucia
- 5 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 6 My bucket list first trip to Italy
- 7 Strasbourg! What to do, what to visit??
- 8 Windsor Castle
- 9 Flight from Athens to Santorini- is this enough time?
- 10 Do I Tip the Maid & How Much, Paris 3* Hotel?
- 11 Individual train tickets instead of passes
- 12 14 days in Italy. Advice needed
- 13 Ideas for 10 nights in France for 1st timer
- 14 Roadtrip: France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Luxemburg
- 15 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 16 Oy, I need help with this mid Sept U.K. trip!
- 17 Tour Company reviews - European Graduation Trip
- 18 4 nights in Sardinia
- 19 Sabbioneta for day trip? ...or Verona?
- 20 help deciding between 2 itineraries!
- 21 Anthropology and Archeology for the Turkey Traveler
- 22 "Too Much Cows"
- 23 Matera tour guide wanted
- 24 Lisbon to San Sebastián to Madrid itinerary help!
- 25 Taxi from Linate to lecco