My husband and I are returning to Italy this summer and would like to visit the Dolomites. We are flying into Marco Polo Airport the second week in July. We originally planned to stay in Venice 3 nights and then Varenna 3 nights before going to Cinque Terre. Varenna and Venice are flexible, but Cinque Terre is set in our itinerary as we will visit friends there.
So here's what we are considering::
1. Rent car at airport, go to Dolomites - stay 3 nights and drop car in Como on way to Varenna - stay 3 nights
2. Venice 2 nights, rent car, Dolomites 2 nights, drop off car in Como, Varenna 2 nights
3. Join tour company/guide for Dolomite part of trip and not rent a car
Some background info:
We usually use train and bus to travel in Italy, but we did rent a car one year for visiting Piedmont region. We typically stay 3-4 nights at each stop, but think we would be fine with the 2-2-2 scenario for this trip to include Dolomites. We have been to Venice many times (we enjoy just being there and walking around) and this will be our second time to Lake Como region.
How difficult getting from Dolomites to Varenna by car?
Where should we drop car on way to Varenna
Where should we stay in Dolomites?
I would appreciate any advice/recommendations.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Tips for a local Kingsday experience in Amsterdam?
- 2 Gorges de Verdon to Eze - where to stay along way?
- 3 SPB White Nights boat tours
- 4 Moving Around Amalfi without a car
- 5 Opinion on sights in Florence
- 6 From Genoa to Camgoli by Train
- 7 Piedmont as a destination
- 8 First Morning after arrival in Frankfurt
- 9 Specific phone service questions about Italy & Amsterdam
- 10 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 11 Need Information about French Alps
- 12 dinner jackets
- 13 France Itinerary Advice
- 14 Madrid to Northern Spain- 4 days/2 kids. Help w itinerary pls!
- 15 Croatia - Help on itinerary
- 16 Kroller-Muller - Paleis Het Loo - Maurithuis
- 17 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 18 The Dordogne & Loire Valley?
- 19 Thrift Stores in Paris
- 20 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 21 Barcelona, Bilboa, Cuena, Madrid
- 22 Help needed for our trip to Munich, Salzburg, Prague & Vienna
- 23 10 days Greece in mid-Sept 2017
- 24 2 weeks Europe trip
- 25 Krakow and Prague-one week