My husband and I are returning to Italy this summer and would like to visit the Dolomites. We are flying into Marco Polo Airport the second week in July. We originally planned to stay in Venice 3 nights and then Varenna 3 nights before going to Cinque Terre. Varenna and Venice are flexible, but Cinque Terre is set in our itinerary as we will visit friends there.
So here's what we are considering::
1. Rent car at airport, go to Dolomites - stay 3 nights and drop car in Como on way to Varenna - stay 3 nights
2. Venice 2 nights, rent car, Dolomites 2 nights, drop off car in Como, Varenna 2 nights
3. Join tour company/guide for Dolomite part of trip and not rent a car
Some background info:
We usually use train and bus to travel in Italy, but we did rent a car one year for visiting Piedmont region. We typically stay 3-4 nights at each stop, but think we would be fine with the 2-2-2 scenario for this trip to include Dolomites. We have been to Venice many times (we enjoy just being there and walking around) and this will be our second time to Lake Como region.
How difficult getting from Dolomites to Varenna by car?
Where should we drop car on way to Varenna
Where should we stay in Dolomites?
I would appreciate any advice/recommendations.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Which cities are a must in Croatia, Bosnia&Herzegovina and Montenegro?
- 2 Warsaw Pollution Reaches Record Highs...
- 3 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 4 Krakow Day Trips - Renting a car vs. Taking a tour
- 5 3 weeks in Spain
- 6 4 days itinerary for France
- 7 ISO help planning a trip to England in May
- 8 Rent a car in England
- 9 tours/attractions worth paying for in Prague/Vienna/Budapest/Krakow
- 10 Can No Longer o a Road Trip in Europe - what's a better train trip?
- 11 EuropeTravel-Trivia Quiz #152
- 12 Iceland Itinerary Help
- 13 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 14 South of France - 7 Days - April
- 15 10 nights in Umbria before Rome- advice please
- 16 Our (Somewhat) Laid Back Tour of Old Fave Stops in Italy
- 17 2017 Easter in Italy
- 18 Iceland Trip Report: 9 Days in May - non Ring Road!
- 19 Please help me with the name of this town in Spain
- 20 kimhe or others - flamenco rec in Sevilla?
- 21 Edinburgh to Skye
- 22 Railpass or point-to-point tickets
- 23 Family first time Barcelona (where and how much ?)
- 24 Croatia transportation question.
- 25 Airport Transfer from Edinburgh Center to Glasgow Airport