I have the opportunity to travel for a 7-9 days vacation to Lisbon for a good price. I'm wondering how beautiful is this city compared to other more famous European classic destinations like Rome, Florence, Venice, Paris, Barcelona, Seville, Prague, Vienna, etc.? Is it less attractive in terms of architecture, scenery, beauty, churches, monuments, etc. or does it hold its own? Does it also have a Wow factor?
I have made some research, it seems like the city center is kind of small basically around the Rossio square and the Commercio square. But going on Google Earth, it seems that once you get out of this small area, the city architecture is less interesting and attractive? Or am I missing something? What about the churches, other plazas, and other beautiful streets/areas besides that area?
After my research I know that outside the city center (Rossio and Commercio area), there's also going up the castle St-Gorges, walking through the old Alfama part of the city, also the Jeronimos Monastery & Belem tower, maybe the Oceanarium and zoo, and of course day trips to Sintra and Cascais. Would that make it a trip as beautiful and scenic as let's say a week in Rome? Or is it just not comparable because other places like Rome, Paris, London, Prague, Vienna, Venice, South of Spain, etc. just simply another level?
Btw I have not been to Europe yet, so that's why I want to see if this city (with its different areas and day trips) would be a good choice or if it's not as special and "wow" as other more famous and classic European destinations. I don't mean to downplay Portugal in this post, it's just that I'm curious on what people who have travelled throughout Europe think. I wouldn't mind spending months in Lisbon and Portugal in general, as I'm sure the country and people are amazing, it's just that the purpose of this short trip is mainly "sightseeing" but while staying in one base Lisbon and doing a few side day trips.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 First Timers Traveling to Italy - Help!
- 2 ATM help
- 3 Mobile wifi for Europe travel
- 4 One evening : Lausanne or Geneve ?
- 5 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #185
- 6 8-days in Greece, Rhodes or Crete?
- 7 Paris..The St. Germain area.
- 8 Greek honeymoon: He wants sightseeing, she wants beaches
- 9 Five Days With Rabbies in Devon and Cornwall
- 10 Driving Bruges to Paris. Is it worth the drive?
- 11 Paris Restaurants esp in Marais
- 12 Help with Scotland Itinerary
- 13 Madrid and Andalucia Itinerary and Travel Advice
- 14 itinerary recommendation 6 nights Spain (Barcelona/Madrid)
- 15 Paris: Museums, food and wine -- May 2017
- 16 Scotland at Christmas itinerary
- 17 International drivers permit
- 18 Spain Itinerary
- 19 Advice on 1 day trip to Black Forest
- 20 Why do you visit X or Y?
- 21 ATM
- 22 Croatia Intinerary August 2017
- 23 Allocating time in Barcelona - Gaudi tickets
- 24 Best Barcelona neighborhood
- 25 Is skip the queue for Versailles worth it
How beautiful is Lisbon compared to other european ciites?