I have the opportunity to travel for a 7-9 days vacation to Lisbon for a good price. I'm wondering how beautiful is this city compared to other more famous European classic destinations like Rome, Florence, Venice, Paris, Barcelona, Seville, Prague, Vienna, etc.? Is it less attractive in terms of architecture, scenery, beauty, churches, monuments, etc. or does it hold its own? Does it also have a Wow factor?
I have made some research, it seems like the city center is kind of small basically around the Rossio square and the Commercio square. But going on Google Earth, it seems that once you get out of this small area, the city architecture is less interesting and attractive? Or am I missing something? What about the churches, other plazas, and other beautiful streets/areas besides that area?
After my research I know that outside the city center (Rossio and Commercio area), there's also going up the castle St-Gorges, walking through the old Alfama part of the city, also the Jeronimos Monastery & Belem tower, maybe the Oceanarium and zoo, and of course day trips to Sintra and Cascais. Would that make it a trip as beautiful and scenic as let's say a week in Rome? Or is it just not comparable because other places like Rome, Paris, London, Prague, Vienna, Venice, South of Spain, etc. just simply another level?
Btw I have not been to Europe yet, so that's why I want to see if this city (with its different areas and day trips) would be a good choice or if it's not as special and "wow" as other more famous and classic European destinations. I don't mean to downplay Portugal in this post, it's just that I'm curious on what people who have travelled throughout Europe think. I wouldn't mind spending months in Lisbon and Portugal in general, as I'm sure the country and people are amazing, it's just that the purpose of this short trip is mainly "sightseeing" but while staying in one base Lisbon and doing a few side day trips.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Can No Longer o a Road Trip in Europe - what's a better train trip?
- 2 천안풀싸롱 ♭dbg35.com★ 부천풀싸롱 시흥풀싸롱 #천안풀싸롱
- 3 광주풀싸롱 ♨dbg35.com♨ 안산풀싸롱 동두천풀싸롱 #광주풀싸롱
- 4 Which cities are a must in Croatia, Bosnia&Herzegovina and Montenegro?
- 5 대구풀싸롱 ◐dbg35.com】 평택풀싸롱 안성풀싸롱 #대구풀싸롱
- 6 부산풀싸롱 『dbg35.com』 광명풀싸롱 이천풀싸롱 #부산풀싸롱
- 7 인천풀싸롱 「dbg35.com」 안양풀싸롱 용인풀싸롱 #인천풀싸롱
- 8 일산풀싸롱 ⊙dbg35.com◑ 분당풀싸롱 하남풀싸롱 #일산풀싸롱
- 9 강남풀싸롱 ♣dbg35.com▣ 성남풀싸롱 의왕풀싸롱 #강남풀싸롱
- 10 서울풀싸롱 ♧dbg35.com◈ 수원풀싸롱 군포풀싸롱 #서울풀싸롱
- 11 Italy Puglia and Le Marche
- 12 Need hotel recommendations for Madrid, Toledo & Andalucia
- 13 Azores in February
- 14 Theater in London
- 15 Late March/ Early April in Italy
- 16 3 days in Ortygia Sicily
- 17 Beginning Itinerary Guidance
- 18 2 week trip to Lisbon, Porto, Douro, seeking input
- 19 When to buy airline? & booking seats
- 20 Umbria / Le Marche
- 21 Our (Somewhat) Laid Back Tour of Old Fave Stops in Italy
- 22 Scotland Itinerary Advice
- 23 Driving in Corwall-The Nitty Gritty
- 24 Paris/Loire Valley than ?
- 25 Food in Positano
How beautiful is Lisbon compared to other european ciites?