I have the opportunity to travel for a 7-9 days vacation to Lisbon for a good price. I'm wondering how beautiful is this city compared to other more famous European classic destinations like Rome, Florence, Venice, Paris, Barcelona, Seville, Prague, Vienna, etc.? Is it less attractive in terms of architecture, scenery, beauty, churches, monuments, etc. or does it hold its own? Does it also have a Wow factor?
I have made some research, it seems like the city center is kind of small basically around the Rossio square and the Commercio square. But going on Google Earth, it seems that once you get out of this small area, the city architecture is less interesting and attractive? Or am I missing something? What about the churches, other plazas, and other beautiful streets/areas besides that area?
After my research I know that outside the city center (Rossio and Commercio area), there's also going up the castle St-Gorges, walking through the old Alfama part of the city, also the Jeronimos Monastery & Belem tower, maybe the Oceanarium and zoo, and of course day trips to Sintra and Cascais. Would that make it a trip as beautiful and scenic as let's say a week in Rome? Or is it just not comparable because other places like Rome, Paris, London, Prague, Vienna, Venice, South of Spain, etc. just simply another level?
Btw I have not been to Europe yet, so that's why I want to see if this city (with its different areas and day trips) would be a good choice or if it's not as special and "wow" as other more famous and classic European destinations. I don't mean to downplay Portugal in this post, it's just that I'm curious on what people who have travelled throughout Europe think. I wouldn't mind spending months in Lisbon and Portugal in general, as I'm sure the country and people are amazing, it's just that the purpose of this short trip is mainly "sightseeing" but while staying in one base Lisbon and doing a few side day trips.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Positano or Sorrento?
- 2 Munich itinerary review
- 3 Last minute trip to Germany and Switzerland
- 4 13 nights in switzerland
- 5 where to stay between Salamanca and Zaragoza?
- 6 Earthquake near Naples
- 7 Uber in Rome & Lisbon
- 8 Lyon airport hotel or downtown + taxi
- 9 3 nights in the 10th Paris
- 10 Paris Metro Entrances. How to find?
- 11 Globus Iberian Tour
- 12 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 13 3nights in Venice
- 14 Paris in November
- 15 10-Day Trip Planned..Need Recommendations
- 16 Estonia, Finland, and Iceland: Summer 2017
- 17 Journees du patrimonie 2017
- 18 Football Tickets - Athens
- 19 Barcelona rental for two couples??
- 20 Travelling to Russia during FIFA
- 21 Only 3 days: Asturias or French Basque?
- 22 Last minute trip to Capri
- 23 Greece - 8 days - Recommendations please!
- 24 Budapest to Kosice
- 25 First time to Spain: Seville & Madrid
How beautiful is Lisbon compared to other european ciites?