We have finally decided on our first holiday to France in May 2015.
We will be arriving in Geneva in the afternoon and proceeding directly to Chamonix.
Have contacted a couple of companies recommended in my earlier post but not got any clarity for the price / timings etc. Any recommendations on how to proceed directly from Geneva airport by train / bus are welcome.
We plan to stay for four nights in Chamonix. Is it too much? Not sure which cable car will be open beside the Aiguille du Midi. Please advise on any other must do trips whilst we are in Chamonix. Kindly advise us for no frills basic hotel in Chamonix City Centre.
Then we will take train to Lyon. Will buy train tickets from SNCF or Capitaine Train whichever website works. Any recommendations on cheap tickets? Also please advise where to stay in Lyon. We will be in Lyon for four nights. Any must sees or must day trips from Lyon? Is Annecy an easy / cheap day trip from Lyon or Chamonix?
We are foodies and love to stay centrally with easy access to local supermarket, bouchons and weekly farmers market. Is the Warwick Reine Astrid conveniently located? Or any other recommendation for hotel / B&B?
Lastly, we will move to Paris for 4-5 nights. Will start a separate post for Paris.
Thanks for all your advise which has helped us to decide on our trip to France.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 London 6 day itinerary
- 2 Great Food restaurant, cafes, bars, aperitivo in Milan, Turin, Piedmont
- 3 Sim Cards
- 4 Paris then Italy? Or Greece?
- 5 London in Winter Report
- 6 Nice to Cinque Terre where to stay.
- 7 Portugal rental car
- 8 8 days vacation to Switzerland & Austria
- 9 Switzaly 2011: two sisters visit Zurich, Turin and Milan
- 10 IWM
- 11 London Hotel - Different Request
- 12 Seville to Cordoba
- 13 3 nights in Madrid
- 14 Very British Neighborhood in London
- 15 Travelling Iceland
- 16 Great Food restaurant, cafes, bars, winery, food shops in Provence and Lyon
- 17 Quiet reasonably priced Munich hotel during Oktoberfest
- 18 Hotels in Positano, Capri, & Naples
- 19 Stowing Luggage at Florence for a day!
- 20 Kayak = Priceline and unavailable flights?
- 21 Trastevere Food
- 22 paris hotel easy commute to Palais de Congres
- 23 Buying Train Tickets at Schipol - Machine
- 24 Nightime Tivoli
- 25 anyone stay here? ytri vik cottages