I recently returned from a two-week vacation in Sardinia (July 2001), and was most pleased with my hotel selection in the capital city of Cagliari: the budget Hotel Bundes Jack Vittoria, located at Via Roma 75, directly opposite the passenger loading dock of the city's port. The rooms, all with very tall ceilings and beautiful Venetian chandeliers, have all been refurbished with solid furniture and most have brand new, immaculate bathrooms. Air conditioning is standard and works well. Guests have a choice (depending on availability) of luminous, cheerful rooms facing the sea (though with some road noise), or more quiet rooms in the back. Best of all, the family which manages the hotel, ably led by Signor Luigi Palmas, is extemely welcoming, friendly, and helpful with tourist information and suggestions for dining, public transportation and sightseeing. The hotel is a mere 200 yards from the train station and main bus terminal (there are also frequent buses making the 10-minute run to the airport), and several bus lines run along Via Roma to tourist points throughout the city, including the famous Poetto Beach to the east. The medieval "Castello" district of town, pearched on the hill overlooking the sea, where the Cathedral and Archeological Museum are located, is a mere 15 minutes away on foot. The Sanctuary/Basilica of Bonaria is also easily reachable on foot. A double room with private bath runs Lire 120,000, or less than U.S.$ 60 per day. Breakfast is an extra-cost option, though most guests prefer to patronize one of the several cafes along Via Roma serving super-fresh pastries and "cornetti", one of which, the Olimpia, is next door to the hotel. There are nearly a dozen good mid-priced restaurants within a radius of three blocks, serving seafood dishes in the main. Along Via Roma there are also several excellent clothing and jewellry stores, including the upscale La Rinascente department store. The Bundes Jack Vittoria is without doubt the best value hotel in town, and the cheerful and intimate climate fostered by the proprietors make the stay even more special.
Hotel in Cagliari, Sardinia
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Lake como area on motorcycles
- 2 Need advice for this
- 3 Welcome
- 4 Siena or Bologna day trip from Florence?
- 5 First time Croatia; young children; itinerary
- 6 Any suggestions for accomodations in Venice Italy mid June?
- 7 Wanting to spend 6 months in the French Countryside
- 8 one last portugal car rental question
- 9 Train: Bordeaux to San Sebastian
- 10 European neo-nazis head Ukraine to save the white power
- 11 Day trip from London to Paris
- 12 Prague - Tram #22
- 13 Prague 3 nights - Top 10 things to do
- 14 Berlin & Budapest for 8 days
- 15 RentalCars.com: Is it a reliable company?
- 16 French embassy schengen visa related questions
- 17 Flamenco -- Cordoba, Seville or Granada?
- 18 We saw London, we saw France as well as The Netherlands and Belgium
- 19 hotels in Seville
- 20 direct plane flight from sicily to Granada
- 21 Questions on Ferry from Bodrum to Rhodes
- 22 Amsterdam -Belgium -Germany -Amsterdam
- 23 A drive in Europe
- 24 NATIONAL PARKS IN CROATIA (PLITVICE & KRKA)
- 25 nearby cities to london