Can I please ask your help in picking a hotel in London for our last night of the trip? We leave the next day from LHR on an afternoon flight. I've been to London once before (and will spend a week at the beginning of this trip) but only staying in flats near Gloucester tube. I know literally *nothing* about London hotels and would love to hear your expert opinions, favorites, and logistical recommendations.
We're a family of 4 (2 adults/2 kids), so we'll need 2 adjoining rooms or a room for 4 with 2 beds.
Budgetwise: Since it'll be our last night in London, we're willing to splurge a little and spend up to about $600 a night for the 4 of us (but would prefer less). I do have enough Ambassador points to get one free classic room at the Intercontinental (and then pay for the adjoining room)... so that's essentially my benchmark and my threshold. Beyond about $500-$600 (for both rooms), I may as well stay there (which of course would be lovely). But I'd love some other options.
Location: I think I'd like something close to Hyde Park Corner/Knightsbridge so it's close enough for last minute sightseeing and to run the kids through the park. But I'm open to any other suggestions. And then again, staying in a hotel also presents an opportunity to explore a neighborhood or boutique property I wouldn't otherwise choose for a longer stay... so maybe we should be looking at something more interesting... (i.e. Chelsea, something with a view toward the Parliament buildings or the Thames?)
Vibe & amenities: I'm way past the age where I'm willing to stay in cheap budget hotels with dingy furnishings and sagging beds to save a buck. I have to admit, I really like a comfortable mattress, nice linens, and charming architectural touches.
Transport to LHR: I haven't decided yet how we're going to get to LHR. We have an afternoon flight from LHR on a weekday, so I'm not too worried about making specific connections to LHR (like I would on a weekend or very early flight). But should I pick a hotel based on easy connections to LHR? That might be a factor in selection.
Thank you all for your recommendations and help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Valencia Spain
- 2 Language to use in Belgium
- 3 International Drivers License for Sicily
- 4 London, you are my number one now (replacing Paris)
- 5 Really true that US passport needs 6 months left to enter Schengen zone?
- 6 Paris in August
- 7 Wine Shipping from Puglia
- 8 Children's seat on Nextbike in Wachau Valley?
- 9 Getting around London
- 10 Provence Hotel and Flights
- 11 First trip to Paris! (and Amsterdam)
- 12 Varenna to hotel near Milan airport
- 13 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 14 Traveling in Belgium
- 15 HELP: 3rd trip to France - where should I go?
- 16 Paris to Switzerland to Venice in 2 weeks?
- 17 The DCC scam is spreading
- 18 10 days/2 kids/Munich and surrounding areas
- 19 21, 18 and 6 year old trip to Europe
- 20 Lake Como,Italy
- 21 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 22 Europe's Most Famous Streets?
- 23 Train travel to and from Paris
- 24 2 Week Europe Itinerary
- 25 Bruges, Ghent or Brussels?