Can I please ask your help in picking a hotel in London for our last night of the trip? We leave the next day from LHR on an afternoon flight. I've been to London once before (and will spend a week at the beginning of this trip) but only staying in flats near Gloucester tube. I know literally *nothing* about London hotels and would love to hear your expert opinions, favorites, and logistical recommendations.
We're a family of 4 (2 adults/2 kids), so we'll need 2 adjoining rooms or a room for 4 with 2 beds.
Budgetwise: Since it'll be our last night in London, we're willing to splurge a little and spend up to about $600 a night for the 4 of us (but would prefer less). I do have enough Ambassador points to get one free classic room at the Intercontinental (and then pay for the adjoining room)... so that's essentially my benchmark and my threshold. Beyond about $500-$600 (for both rooms), I may as well stay there (which of course would be lovely). But I'd love some other options.
Location: I think I'd like something close to Hyde Park Corner/Knightsbridge so it's close enough for last minute sightseeing and to run the kids through the park. But I'm open to any other suggestions. And then again, staying in a hotel also presents an opportunity to explore a neighborhood or boutique property I wouldn't otherwise choose for a longer stay... so maybe we should be looking at something more interesting... (i.e. Chelsea, something with a view toward the Parliament buildings or the Thames?)
Vibe & amenities: I'm way past the age where I'm willing to stay in cheap budget hotels with dingy furnishings and sagging beds to save a buck. I have to admit, I really like a comfortable mattress, nice linens, and charming architectural touches.
Transport to LHR: I haven't decided yet how we're going to get to LHR. We have an afternoon flight from LHR on a weekday, so I'm not too worried about making specific connections to LHR (like I would on a weekend or very early flight). But should I pick a hotel based on easy connections to LHR? That might be a factor in selection.
Thank you all for your recommendations and help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 13 Days with 13-year-olds in Greece
- 2 Trip report (long): Greek Macedonia, some insights into London's airports and the discovery of perhaps the worst airline in the developed world.
- 3 Dubrovnik + island or Kotor?
- 4 dinner jackets
- 5 SPB White Nights boat tours
- 6 Travel within Greece, and motion sickness?
- 7 Torre Sponda apartments in Positano- anyone familiar?
- 8 Specific phone service questions about Italy & Amsterdam
- 9 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 10 Cordoba Overnight?
- 11 Piedmont as a destination
- 12 2 weeks Europe trip
- 13 AVIGNON / DAY TRIP Gordes or Arles
- 14 Greece Itinerary Jun-Jul 2017
- 15 Souvenirs to collect while backpacking?
- 16 Restaurant suggestions in Lyon France? Overwhelmed!
- 17 Monemvasia or Gefyra
- 18 Alkmaar to Brussels - things to see?
- 19 16 Days in Scotland in May with Our Two Boys
- 20 ALICANTE - 1 Day Excursions
- 21 Please help me eat well in Greece!
- 22 Santa Margherta Ligure, Rapallo, Portofino....
- 23 Which market between Bordeaux and Sarlat?
- 24 ALMERIA - 1 Day Excusions
- 25 Suggestions for Switzerland-Italy Trip??