I wonder if anyone knows where I can go horse-riding in either the Venice or Naples area in October. I have done a bit of Googling and can't find any specific listings where I can just go on a short 1-2 hour trail ride. Most seem like riding holidays and I am a bit 'long in the tooth' for that now! I have owned many horses for over 50 years but its been a few years since I have last ridden.
I haven't fully checked out the Naples area but would prefer the Venice area if possible . But I am open to all ideas. Some hotels mention riding on the Lido beaches but I wonder if you have to be a guest of the hotel to hire.
Some years ago, I investigated horse riding in the London area and was a bit surprised that some riding schools had weight restrictions for riders . Not something I have heard of here in Oz though I imagine they may draw the line at very obese people. Some London riding establishments limited riders to 175lb, (12.5st,75kg.) and I wonder how many very tall, well built men would be able to hire a horse! I am tall and overweight (5'9" and 195Lb) but I'm working on it! I wonder if that could be a problem? I have hired horses in New Caledonia and Vanuatu when I was only slightly smaller and had no problems...they were big horses though!
Another reason I am asking here is that I only want a place where the animals are well cared for. Most places I have used in the past are good but I have seen a few" iffy" riding schools I wouldn't use. Maybe letting a big woman ride might be considered "cruelty" and I shouldn't bother? Only slightly joking here - I'm sure the horse wouldn't laugh!
So does anyone have personal experience on this subject?
I also like the idea of short Vespa tours in either region...No complaints from scooters if you are heavy! I have an Australian licence but am a bit rusty here too. I intend to brush up before leaving Oz so I am not a menace on the road. Do I need an international permit for a short ride?
Thank you all,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Weighing hand luggage at CDG security now
- 2 Driving Excursions/Day Trips outside of Edinburgh
- 3 Spain and South of France
- 4 Positano to Maori drive or ferry and how much visiting time?
- 5 Trip Report : Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania
- 6 renting car with automatic transmission
- 7 Self drive tour companies
- 8 Dinner get-together in Paris?
- 9 3 Month Europe Itineray -- please critique
- 10 Spending Money for a 30 day trip
- 11 Best place to view alps from Italy
- 12 May get together in Paris
- 13 'Brellies on "Standby." Dublin!
- 14 Dordogne Itinerary - Do I Need Another Day?
- 15 Advice needed- Sardinia or Costa Brava (again) in August
- 16 Forte dei Marmi with kids.....
- 17 Organizing our 8 day Roman visit
- 18 3 nights Santorini suggestions with a child- is akrotiri a good location?
- 19 Favorite restaurants in Provence???
- 20 Best soft sand beaches, Ischia
- 21 Help / Day Planning Required ...
- 22 "Best" train route Interlaken to Salzburg
- 23 Oslo-Flam-Borgund-Balestrand in one day?
- 24 GERMANY, MID-RHINE & MUNICH
- 25 Prague itinerary advice
Horse hire/trail rides in Venice or Naples area. Also Vespa tours.