I wonder if anyone knows where I can go horse-riding in either the Venice or Naples area in October. I have done a bit of Googling and can't find any specific listings where I can just go on a short 1-2 hour trail ride. Most seem like riding holidays and I am a bit 'long in the tooth' for that now! I have owned many horses for over 50 years but its been a few years since I have last ridden.
I haven't fully checked out the Naples area but would prefer the Venice area if possible . But I am open to all ideas. Some hotels mention riding on the Lido beaches but I wonder if you have to be a guest of the hotel to hire.
Some years ago, I investigated horse riding in the London area and was a bit surprised that some riding schools had weight restrictions for riders . Not something I have heard of here in Oz though I imagine they may draw the line at very obese people. Some London riding establishments limited riders to 175lb, (12.5st,75kg.) and I wonder how many very tall, well built men would be able to hire a horse! I am tall and overweight (5'9" and 195Lb) but I'm working on it! I wonder if that could be a problem? I have hired horses in New Caledonia and Vanuatu when I was only slightly smaller and had no problems...they were big horses though!
Another reason I am asking here is that I only want a place where the animals are well cared for. Most places I have used in the past are good but I have seen a few" iffy" riding schools I wouldn't use. Maybe letting a big woman ride might be considered "cruelty" and I shouldn't bother? Only slightly joking here - I'm sure the horse wouldn't laugh!
So does anyone have personal experience on this subject?
I also like the idea of short Vespa tours in either region...No complaints from scooters if you are heavy! I have an Australian licence but am a bit rusty here too. I intend to brush up before leaving Oz so I am not a menace on the road. Do I need an international permit for a short ride?
Thank you all,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 The mouse munches her way through far off lands: The Christams Edition
- 2 BARDENAS REALES, Unesco site and national park in Navarra
- 3 8 to 9 days in switzerland with swiss pass
- 4 An hour and ten min enough for connection?
- 5 8 Days in Rome in March 2017 - planning thread
- 6 Portugal and Spain Itinerary Suggestions
- 7 Itinerary Help - One week between Sicily and Rome
- 8 Can No Longer o a Road Trip in Europe - what's a better train trip?
- 9 Eastern France - A TR in Pictures
- 10 Austria / Bavaria in late Oct/Early Nov
- 11 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 12 First-ish Trip To UK Itinerary Suggestions?
- 13 Notes on Venice, Bassano del Grappa, Garda, Cremona & Milan (Sept 2016)
- 14 Need help with itinerary & trains
- 15 House Hunting in France
- 16 English Countryside
- 17 Tour of Northern Italy
- 18 12 days itinerary - Netherland, Belgium & Germany
- 19 Cognac transportation?
- 20 Warsaw Pollution Reaches Record Highs...
- 21 Prague, Rome or Amsterdam
- 22 No Train On Kings Day Amsterdam?
- 23 Manchester Airport Connection Time
- 24 Granada to Madrid
- 25 San Sebastian
Horse hire/trail rides in Venice or Naples area. Also Vespa tours.