I wonder if anyone knows where I can go horse-riding in either the Venice or Naples area in October. I have done a bit of Googling and can't find any specific listings where I can just go on a short 1-2 hour trail ride. Most seem like riding holidays and I am a bit 'long in the tooth' for that now! I have owned many horses for over 50 years but its been a few years since I have last ridden.
I haven't fully checked out the Naples area but would prefer the Venice area if possible . But I am open to all ideas. Some hotels mention riding on the Lido beaches but I wonder if you have to be a guest of the hotel to hire.
Some years ago, I investigated horse riding in the London area and was a bit surprised that some riding schools had weight restrictions for riders . Not something I have heard of here in Oz though I imagine they may draw the line at very obese people. Some London riding establishments limited riders to 175lb, (12.5st,75kg.) and I wonder how many very tall, well built men would be able to hire a horse! I am tall and overweight (5'9" and 195Lb) but I'm working on it! I wonder if that could be a problem? I have hired horses in New Caledonia and Vanuatu when I was only slightly smaller and had no problems...they were big horses though!
Another reason I am asking here is that I only want a place where the animals are well cared for. Most places I have used in the past are good but I have seen a few" iffy" riding schools I wouldn't use. Maybe letting a big woman ride might be considered "cruelty" and I shouldn't bother? Only slightly joking here - I'm sure the horse wouldn't laugh!
So does anyone have personal experience on this subject?
I also like the idea of short Vespa tours in either region...No complaints from scooters if you are heavy! I have an Australian licence but am a bit rusty here too. I intend to brush up before leaving Oz so I am not a menace on the road. Do I need an international permit for a short ride?
Thank you all,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Are there any Paris walking guides I should add to my collection?
- 2 Itinerary review from a overplanner
- 3 Campervan in Croatia
- 4 Greek Islands (small)
- 5 How early in the spring to visit London & England?
- 6 San Francisco retirees would like to move to Paris for a year- crazy idea?
- 7 Cell Phone Question
- 8 Which is the cheapest country (and gorgeous) in Europe?
- 9 Advice for 5 Weeks in the Nordic Countries
- 10 K-Day
- 11 UK Visa Help
- 12 Skye to Edinburgh
- 13 Provence best farmstays!!??
- 14 Trip report (long): Greek Macedonia, some insights into London's airports and the discovery of perhaps the worst airline in the developed world.
- 15 4 Days In Northern Italy advice
- 16 Chime in on Portugal Itineraryy
- 17 Spain in December
- 18 advance tickets?
- 19 Help required with Itinerary
- 20 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 21 Como Bus to Bellagio
- 22 Where to stay in September in the Swiss Alps
- 23 Where to go...one month w/a one year old
- 24 Marseille vs. Genoa
- 25 Short stay London with Aussie kids or not?
Horse hire/trail rides in Venice or Naples area. Also Vespa tours.