My fiance Colin and I spending our honeymoon in Croatia this August. We're fun-loving 27 and 28 year-olds looking for adventure, charm/history, music, good food/drink, relaxing by the water and of course a little romance to celebrate our new marriage
We've been thinking a lot about how to spend our time there, pouring over online resources and forums (like this one , and it feels like we're narrowing in on a pretty solid plan. Before we book flights and accommodations (hopefully very soon) we'd REALLY love some feedback from those that have been before. We're mindful of getting a variety of experiences + taking in as much of the country's magic as we can while at the same time not regretting an overly ambitious itinerary or making easily avoidable missteps.
Here's what we're thinking:
Sunday, Aug. 2-Monday, Aug. 3: Fly from U.S. to Zagreb to Dubrovnik
Need to fly Delta to use miles. We plan to take the one-hour flight on Croatia Airlines from Zagreb to Dubrovnik.
Monday, Aug. 3-Thursday, Aug. 5 - Dubrovnik (3 nights)
Walk the walls, day trip to sea kayak around Elafiti Isets, take in live music/catch the summer festival. Hopefully spending the week days here will help avoid the high season tourist crowds even just a little.
Thursday, Aug. 6-Sunday, Aug. 9 - Hvar (3 nights)
Take the (early) ferry from Dubrovnik to Hvar. Spending the weekend here seems like a good idea to take advantage of the beach, night life and good food. Don't mind crowds if we'll be partying/making friends
Sunday, Aug. 9-Monday, Aug. 11 - Split (1 night)
Take the ferry to Split from Hvar. We can spend the day exploring Split then get a rental car to drive that next afternoon to Zadar.
Monday. Aug, 11-Tuesday, Aug. 12 - Zadar (1 night)
Find a charming restaurant and check out Morske Orgulje that evening. Would love to go for a hike in Paklenica National Park in the morning before taking off for Plitvice Lakes.
Tuesday, Aug. 11-Wednesday, Aug. 12 - Plitvice Lakes National Park (1 night)
Stay in or near the park at maybe Plitvice Miric Inn or Villa Mukinja.
Wednesday, Aug. 12 - Saturday, Aug. 16 - Rovinj (3 nights)
This is an acquaintance from Slovenia's favorite spot in Istria. We're excited to both explore the area and relax at the end of our trip.
Saturday, Aug. 16-Sunday, Aug. 17 - Zagreb (1 night)
Arrive in time for dinner Saturday night, see the Museum of Broken Relationships on Sunday, etc.
Sunday, Aug. 16 - Fly out of Zagreb > U.S.
Our questions are:
1. Overall does this itinerary seem appropriate for what we're looking for and the time we have? Hopefully renting a car for just one week of it will help manage costs, knowing both rental and gas aren't cheap.
2. Any lodging, dining, music or other attraction suggestions for our stays? We're bummed to miss a big music festival the weekend of August 6th in Tisno but we just couldn't figure out a way to make it fit so live music is definitely one area we'd be interested in finding some or several places.
3. Any other general travel tips for us newbies?
Thanks so much in advance!
Jess and Colin
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Road trip with our dog
- 2 wondering if this trip too ambitious
- 3 Travel from Lisbon to Amsterdam to Boston
- 4 Great Value Vacations - NOT
- 5 Greek Islands - Which to use as our base?
- 6 Rome or Lisbon during end of November? Please help me pick
- 7 Driving through Paris
- 8 lurento sports car rental - anyone?
- 9 Need help with ideas for stopover location
- 10 Cyclades w/kids & my ruins-fanatic DH (itin and accommodation advice)
- 11 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 12 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 13 Train Questions: Getting a Train to Bruges And One Random Question
- 14 Spanish Medical Providers
- 15 Barcelona alternative
- 16 So Many Places, So Little Time-17 Day Euro Trip--HELP!
- 17 Suggestion for trip to Switzerland, Greece and Italy
- 18 Help with Portugal Itinerary Please
- 19 Lisbon
- 20 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 21 Stanbr and Lolly visit Eastern Crete
- 22 Sicily in feb? If not, where to from Israel?
- 23 Italy Car Scam
- 24 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 25 Undiscovered Places in Paris