My fiance Colin and I spending our honeymoon in Croatia this August. We're fun-loving 27 and 28 year-olds looking for adventure, charm/history, music, good food/drink, relaxing by the water and of course a little romance to celebrate our new marriage
We've been thinking a lot about how to spend our time there, pouring over online resources and forums (like this one , and it feels like we're narrowing in on a pretty solid plan. Before we book flights and accommodations (hopefully very soon) we'd REALLY love some feedback from those that have been before. We're mindful of getting a variety of experiences + taking in as much of the country's magic as we can while at the same time not regretting an overly ambitious itinerary or making easily avoidable missteps.
Here's what we're thinking:
Sunday, Aug. 2-Monday, Aug. 3: Fly from U.S. to Zagreb to Dubrovnik
Need to fly Delta to use miles. We plan to take the one-hour flight on Croatia Airlines from Zagreb to Dubrovnik.
Monday, Aug. 3-Thursday, Aug. 5 - Dubrovnik (3 nights)
Walk the walls, day trip to sea kayak around Elafiti Isets, take in live music/catch the summer festival. Hopefully spending the week days here will help avoid the high season tourist crowds even just a little.
Thursday, Aug. 6-Sunday, Aug. 9 - Hvar (3 nights)
Take the (early) ferry from Dubrovnik to Hvar. Spending the weekend here seems like a good idea to take advantage of the beach, night life and good food. Don't mind crowds if we'll be partying/making friends
Sunday, Aug. 9-Monday, Aug. 11 - Split (1 night)
Take the ferry to Split from Hvar. We can spend the day exploring Split then get a rental car to drive that next afternoon to Zadar.
Monday. Aug, 11-Tuesday, Aug. 12 - Zadar (1 night)
Find a charming restaurant and check out Morske Orgulje that evening. Would love to go for a hike in Paklenica National Park in the morning before taking off for Plitvice Lakes.
Tuesday, Aug. 11-Wednesday, Aug. 12 - Plitvice Lakes National Park (1 night)
Stay in or near the park at maybe Plitvice Miric Inn or Villa Mukinja.
Wednesday, Aug. 12 - Saturday, Aug. 16 - Rovinj (3 nights)
This is an acquaintance from Slovenia's favorite spot in Istria. We're excited to both explore the area and relax at the end of our trip.
Saturday, Aug. 16-Sunday, Aug. 17 - Zagreb (1 night)
Arrive in time for dinner Saturday night, see the Museum of Broken Relationships on Sunday, etc.
Sunday, Aug. 16 - Fly out of Zagreb > U.S.
Our questions are:
1. Overall does this itinerary seem appropriate for what we're looking for and the time we have? Hopefully renting a car for just one week of it will help manage costs, knowing both rental and gas aren't cheap.
2. Any lodging, dining, music or other attraction suggestions for our stays? We're bummed to miss a big music festival the weekend of August 6th in Tisno but we just couldn't figure out a way to make it fit so live music is definitely one area we'd be interested in finding some or several places.
3. Any other general travel tips for us newbies?
Thanks so much in advance!
Jess and Colin
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Escorted tours Norway
- 2 Light weight small converter?
- 3 Great Woin's restaurnats in Paris
- 4 Car rental help in Sicily
- 5 Italy Itinerary Advice
- 6 Small towns not too near Paris
- 7 Munich Hotel Location
- 8 A Scrumptious Slice of Slovenia
- 9 Trip in September
- 10 Help with basic itinerary
- 11 Wake Up Mods
- 12 Time required from flight touchdown at Heathrow to King's Cross
- 13 Scandinavia Itinerary help!
- 14 Short Visit to Munich for the Christmas markets
- 15 Meeting up in the Zurich airport
- 16 favorite app for converting US $$
- 17 Italy - hiking, active, with Sicily
- 18 Clean up spam
- 19 Versailles - Much More than the Palace!
- 20 Driving in Croatia
- 21 Croatia - Zadar or Hvar or Korcula?
- 22 Charming areas to explore in London
- 23 Paris drinks/dinner GTG April?
- 24 The Dordogne - Stu Dudley's Updated Itinerary
- 25 London - Vauxhall or Southwark?