After some deliberation, my fiancé and I decided to plan our honeymoon for a week in Greece! We orginally thought Italy- and still want to go badly (1st anniversary perhaps)- but I can't get Greece out of my mind and am dying to go. We will have about 6 nights/7 days during the first week of September (departing on or around August 28th and then flying to Israel on or around September 4th). With flying time, we expect about a week long vacation.
A coworker has family in Greece, and has given us some helpful jumping off points:
1. If we see Athens, leave it to the end, rather than beginning of the trip, since we have to go for the airport
2. Local favorites are the Sporades islands, Naxos, Paros and Milos
We are very food centric, and really just want to get to know the country and culture, in what limited time we have. Our main interests are beautiful beaches, being outdoors, eating the great local food, and relaxing. We do want to see historic sites, but don't necessarily want to spend every minute in lines- so we'd also love some insider knowledge on things to do and eat off the beaten path.
Please let me know if you have advice on how to start planning our itinerary. My thoughts (roughly) so far were to fly into Athens, transfer to Santorini for 2 nights, ferry to one of the other islands for a more relaxing, beach side stay (those clear blue waters and white sands are so amazing), and end with 1-2 nights in Athens before flying out. All of this is flexible, but having a more cohesive idea of what is realistic would be great.
Thanks and happy new year!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 UK 5 weeks How Far Can We Go!
- 2 Driving from Culzean Castle to Bamburgh
- 3 Experiencing Scotland in the Winters
- 4 Too Little Time in Ireland--Advice?
- 5 Swimming in Camogli, Santa Margherita Ligure, Italy
- 6 Supplements in Carry on bag
- 7 PARIS
- 8 La Coruna or Santiago or both?
- 9 Amalfi itinerary help needed
- 10 Family Transportation from Heathrow- justairports or Express?
- 11 Help Planning Denmark Sweden Norway trip
- 12 Maybe your worst nighmare...
- 13 Where??-2 night trip from London
- 14 Airline to Rome
- 15 Hiking/Photographing the Black Forest
- 16 Suggestions for driving Cadiz to Zaragosa
- 17 Alitala
- 18 Hotels in Copenhagen
- 19 Stu Tower
- 20 Granada in April; add Malaga?
- 21 First Solo Adventure
- 22 transportation from Prague to Cesky Krumlov
- 23 Trains in Italy
- 24 Roman (and Florentine, Venetian) Holiday with la Principessa
- 25 London and Paris - 3 days each