After some deliberation, my fiancé and I decided to plan our honeymoon for a week in Greece! We orginally thought Italy- and still want to go badly (1st anniversary perhaps)- but I can't get Greece out of my mind and am dying to go. We will have about 6 nights/7 days during the first week of September (departing on or around August 28th and then flying to Israel on or around September 4th). With flying time, we expect about a week long vacation.
A coworker has family in Greece, and has given us some helpful jumping off points:
1. If we see Athens, leave it to the end, rather than beginning of the trip, since we have to go for the airport
2. Local favorites are the Sporades islands, Naxos, Paros and Milos
We are very food centric, and really just want to get to know the country and culture, in what limited time we have. Our main interests are beautiful beaches, being outdoors, eating the great local food, and relaxing. We do want to see historic sites, but don't necessarily want to spend every minute in lines- so we'd also love some insider knowledge on things to do and eat off the beaten path.
Please let me know if you have advice on how to start planning our itinerary. My thoughts (roughly) so far were to fly into Athens, transfer to Santorini for 2 nights, ferry to one of the other islands for a more relaxing, beach side stay (those clear blue waters and white sands are so amazing), and end with 1-2 nights in Athens before flying out. All of this is flexible, but having a more cohesive idea of what is realistic would be great.
Thanks and happy new year!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 London, Brussels, France, Berner Oberland and Vienna (in 72 days)
- 2 Swiss Trains not on time and boats not run at all - great time
- 3 Driving in Italy
- 4 Choosing Greek Island Base for island hopping
- 5 Bruges, Ghent or Brussels?
- 6 Spain, Portugal trip planning
- 7 Tips for tour company tour guides
- 8 Three Weeks in Italy - So Excited!
- 9 Train travel to and from Paris
- 10 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 11 Use of Train Tickets
- 12 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 13 4 Greek islands- best way to hop?
- 14 Paris and England, 14 days on the ground
- 15 First Trip to Paris
- 16 Andalucia Spain
- 17 Amsterdam and...?
- 18 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 19 Bastille Day Fireworks, Paris
- 20 Naxos experts - pros and cons of Kymata vs. Agios Prokopios Hotel
- 21 2 days in Amsterdam after river cruise
- 22 Bus Nice Airport to Frejus
- 23 Advice on Spring/Fall trips to Scotland and Alsace
- 24 Best tour or day trip from EL Ferrol Spain
- 25 One week road trip Santiago de Compostela-Lisbon itinerary advice needed