After some deliberation, my fiancé and I decided to plan our honeymoon for a week in Greece! We orginally thought Italy- and still want to go badly (1st anniversary perhaps)- but I can't get Greece out of my mind and am dying to go. We will have about 6 nights/7 days during the first week of September (departing on or around August 28th and then flying to Israel on or around September 4th). With flying time, we expect about a week long vacation.
A coworker has family in Greece, and has given us some helpful jumping off points:
1. If we see Athens, leave it to the end, rather than beginning of the trip, since we have to go for the airport
2. Local favorites are the Sporades islands, Naxos, Paros and Milos
We are very food centric, and really just want to get to know the country and culture, in what limited time we have. Our main interests are beautiful beaches, being outdoors, eating the great local food, and relaxing. We do want to see historic sites, but don't necessarily want to spend every minute in lines- so we'd also love some insider knowledge on things to do and eat off the beaten path.
Please let me know if you have advice on how to start planning our itinerary. My thoughts (roughly) so far were to fly into Athens, transfer to Santorini for 2 nights, ferry to one of the other islands for a more relaxing, beach side stay (those clear blue waters and white sands are so amazing), and end with 1-2 nights in Athens before flying out. All of this is flexible, but having a more cohesive idea of what is realistic would be great.
Thanks and happy new year!
Honeymoon in Greece: About 6 nights, 7 days
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris/Prague/Budapest/Zagreb/Nice/Paris
- 2 London - Paris - Venice - Rome in 21 Days
- 3 London Experts - What do you think of this apartment?
- 4 Sono arrivato a Venezia
- 5 Paris to Barcelona by car/train - including Loire/Bordeax/Carcassonne
- 6 Best places to stay in Bristol?
- 7 CROATIA - Split to Hvar Island ???
- 8 Different approach to 2-4-1 offers
- 9 Paris-Loire-Avignon-Barcelona itinerary (help)
- 10 Starting to plan for 3.5 weeks in northern Spain, May 2015
- 11 Southern Spain
- 12 Reputable Tours
- 13 Is my plan ok
- 14 5 nights in Burgundy, with the kids
- 15 Spain and Portugal in Depth
- 16 2014 Ferry Boat Schedules Salerno/Amalfi/Positano Just Released
- 17 Ideas for Spain in May
- 18 5 Hoosiers - help with route through Germany
- 19 Portugal Trip
- 20 Looking for help on itinerary for trip to Croatia+
- 21 5 Observations About Paris
- 22 Amsterdam, Germany, Paris in May 2015- coats needed?
- 23 16 Nights in Canary Islands & Spain
- 24 3 days and 4 nights in Switzerland
- 25 Renewing our vows in Venice