After some deliberation, my fiancé and I decided to plan our honeymoon for a week in Greece! We orginally thought Italy- and still want to go badly (1st anniversary perhaps)- but I can't get Greece out of my mind and am dying to go. We will have about 6 nights/7 days during the first week of September (departing on or around August 28th and then flying to Israel on or around September 4th). With flying time, we expect about a week long vacation.
A coworker has family in Greece, and has given us some helpful jumping off points:
1. If we see Athens, leave it to the end, rather than beginning of the trip, since we have to go for the airport
2. Local favorites are the Sporades islands, Naxos, Paros and Milos
We are very food centric, and really just want to get to know the country and culture, in what limited time we have. Our main interests are beautiful beaches, being outdoors, eating the great local food, and relaxing. We do want to see historic sites, but don't necessarily want to spend every minute in lines- so we'd also love some insider knowledge on things to do and eat off the beaten path.
Please let me know if you have advice on how to start planning our itinerary. My thoughts (roughly) so far were to fly into Athens, transfer to Santorini for 2 nights, ferry to one of the other islands for a more relaxing, beach side stay (those clear blue waters and white sands are so amazing), and end with 1-2 nights in Athens before flying out. All of this is flexible, but having a more cohesive idea of what is realistic would be great.
Thanks and happy new year!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 When to Arrive At The Airport
- 2 Rudesheim Bacharach or other suggestions.
- 3 Royal Caribbean Cruise port to Arlanda, Stockholm airport
- 4 Capri, Amalfi Coast, Naples in late June/early July
- 5 Help planning a driving trip in Eastern Europe in July
- 6 The Impact of AirBnB in Paris
- 7 Beyond the Trees: At Altitude in Italy's Snowy Dolomites
- 8 Input on this 8 Day London Itinerary
- 9 Gas/Petrol shortages in France?
- 10 Sentimental Journey
- 11 Walking GPS?
- 12 Whirlwind Italy in 16 days
- 13 A few last minute questions
- 14 MID DECEMBER IN BUDAPEST
- 15 3-ish Countries in 3 Weeks?
- 16 Venice Biennale to Feature Detroit...
- 17 Edinburgh-London-Paris in that order
- 18 Ireland - Northern or Western
- 19 now the fun stuff - need dining recs near Goult
- 20 Best 1 Day Bike Tour in Amsterdam
- 21 Book recommendation: Non-travel book about the Dolomites
- 22 2 weeks itinerary for Norway & Sweden
- 23 France: advice on where to go with young kids
- 24 10 day Spain trip - which cities?
- 25 One Way... trust or bust?