After some deliberation, my fiancé and I decided to plan our honeymoon for a week in Greece! We orginally thought Italy- and still want to go badly (1st anniversary perhaps)- but I can't get Greece out of my mind and am dying to go. We will have about 6 nights/7 days during the first week of September (departing on or around August 28th and then flying to Israel on or around September 4th). With flying time, we expect about a week long vacation.
A coworker has family in Greece, and has given us some helpful jumping off points:
1. If we see Athens, leave it to the end, rather than beginning of the trip, since we have to go for the airport
2. Local favorites are the Sporades islands, Naxos, Paros and Milos
We are very food centric, and really just want to get to know the country and culture, in what limited time we have. Our main interests are beautiful beaches, being outdoors, eating the great local food, and relaxing. We do want to see historic sites, but don't necessarily want to spend every minute in lines- so we'd also love some insider knowledge on things to do and eat off the beaten path.
Please let me know if you have advice on how to start planning our itinerary. My thoughts (roughly) so far were to fly into Athens, transfer to Santorini for 2 nights, ferry to one of the other islands for a more relaxing, beach side stay (those clear blue waters and white sands are so amazing), and end with 1-2 nights in Athens before flying out. All of this is flexible, but having a more cohesive idea of what is realistic would be great.
Thanks and happy new year!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Proposed itinerary for Iceland
- 2 Accommodation referrals Trieste, Gorizia and Cormons
- 3 First Trip from Boston to Italy
- 4 Praiano
- 5 Rouen Tour Companies
- 6 5 days in the Morvan (Burgundy)
- 7 UK itinerary advice (family of 4)
- 8 Ireland last minute recommendations
- 9 Americans moving to Europe - Suggestions?
- 10 Ireland itinerary help please
- 11 Dublin or Amsterdam?
- 12 Ronda Wine/biking
- 13 3 weeks in London, Cornwall and a tiny piece of Wales
- 14 Flying into London and Flying out of Edinburgh
- 15 No Periods in British Written English!
- 16 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 17 Perugia
- 18 Sicily-Driving from Taormina to Cefalu
- 19 Italy, beyond the most common Tourist Destinations
- 20 Ireland road trip in June: Where to stop?
- 21 Favorite restaurants, Florence
- 22 Areas in Milan
- 23 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 24 Day trip to Lake Como from Milan
- 25 3-days Athens Itinerary, thoughts? Starting this Wednesday!