After some deliberation, my fiancé and I decided to plan our honeymoon for a week in Greece! We orginally thought Italy- and still want to go badly (1st anniversary perhaps)- but I can't get Greece out of my mind and am dying to go. We will have about 6 nights/7 days during the first week of September (departing on or around August 28th and then flying to Israel on or around September 4th). With flying time, we expect about a week long vacation.
A coworker has family in Greece, and has given us some helpful jumping off points:
1. If we see Athens, leave it to the end, rather than beginning of the trip, since we have to go for the airport
2. Local favorites are the Sporades islands, Naxos, Paros and Milos
We are very food centric, and really just want to get to know the country and culture, in what limited time we have. Our main interests are beautiful beaches, being outdoors, eating the great local food, and relaxing. We do want to see historic sites, but don't necessarily want to spend every minute in lines- so we'd also love some insider knowledge on things to do and eat off the beaten path.
Please let me know if you have advice on how to start planning our itinerary. My thoughts (roughly) so far were to fly into Athens, transfer to Santorini for 2 nights, ferry to one of the other islands for a more relaxing, beach side stay (those clear blue waters and white sands are so amazing), and end with 1-2 nights in Athens before flying out. All of this is flexible, but having a more cohesive idea of what is realistic would be great.
Thanks and happy new year!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 15+ days in Sicily -- first crack at itinerary
- 2 Guides - Matera
- 3 Eurorail pass or flights/local trains in Spain plus Lisbon for 21 days
- 4 Trip Report Crete May 2016
- 5 Spain Itinerary Help
- 6 First time in London...hotel for mother/daughter trip?
- 7 4 days in London worth the jetlag?
- 8 Roundabout from "European Vacation" movie?
- 9 Based in Burford, how to spend our time
- 10 Seeking suggestions: Bavaria, Austria, Prague Trip in Fall
- 11 Swinoujscie Ferry Arrival
- 12 4 Nights in London - Itinerary Details
- 13 Amsterdam for 5 days - HELP
- 14 Dordogne and Loire Valley
- 15 Stores that sell Knorr products in Munich?
- 16 Wine tasting in Santorini
- 17 cell phone companys
- 18 Itinerary and Hotel Recommendations -- Amalfi Coast
- 19 Day Trip to Greenland from Reykjavik
- 20 My 7 day Provence itinerary... workable?
- 21 Croatia Roadtrip: Plitvice -> Dubrovnik in August
- 22 Ravello to Paestum
- 23 Barcelona completely overrated
- 24 Hotel recommendation in Berchtesgaden
- 25 My Home Exchange Near Lake Como