I'm looking for some help in working out an itinerary for our December honeymoon.
My fiance and I are both from Australia - I've travelled a bit of Europe, him not so much. We're both 22, but have no desire to see any sort of club, or rowdy nightlife of any kind.
I'd love a snowy Christmas/New Year honeymoon with christmas markets, sleigh rides and open fire type scenarios with lots of amazing scenery. My fiance loves trains and boats so I was thinking something down the Rhine would be lovely for part of the trip. Neither of us are much on winter sports, but hiking is perfect. We have about three weeks and not a whole lot of money.
I'd like to start in Salzburg and then go to Munich for a few days and use that as a base to do some castle exploring and maybe see some of the smaller towns like Oberammergau.
After that I'm at a bit of a loss. Do we go north towards Strasbourg and Cologne (I've heard some things about the Roman ruins in Trier - are they worth a look?) or should we go more towards Switzerland - is it worth it if we arent skiing and the prices are higher? What's the best way to see the Rhine in winter? Would normal trains give us the sort of view we'd like? Do we need to get a 'special' train? Are there cruises running that aren't 8 day affairs that cost the earth filled with retirees? Also, I was thinking Christmas in Salzburg, but where do we go for a fun NY that doesnt involve all-night raving?
Would appreciate ALL help!!
Honeymoon in Germany
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Anyone used the new airline La Compagnie
- 2 Have you ever stayed in Praiano?
- 3 How much time in Amsterdam?
- 4 What kind of Tourist are you?
- 5 Trip report: Kayaking, Riding and fall in Split, Croatia
- 6 A few ( stupid) questions 1st time to Paris
- 7 Live ( almost) report from Greece!
- 8 Ireland: Which region and where to go? (1st timer)
- 9 Notes on Amsterdam, Bruges & Paris - Sept 8-28, 2014
- 10 London Trip Travel
- 11 Croatia, Slovenia, Salzburg and Prague 3 week Trip Report
- 12 I dream of Europe
- 13 Weekend in Norfolk
- 14 50 and Fabulous in 2015---need help planning my trip to Amalfi, FINALLY
- 15 St Germain
- 16 Spain-Would appreciate input on itinerary
- 17 Cotswold Churches
- 18 Autumn in Paris
- 19 Christmas Eve and Day in Munich
- 20 Frankfurt airport to Leuven, Belgium by train
- 21 Norway 2014
- 22 17 amazing days in Tuscany, Positano and Rome – June 2014!
- 23 A trip into the neonatal ward of Western civilization
- 24 Family heritage/name origin services in Poland?
- 25 Young couple - where to stay in London?