I'm looking for some help in working out an itinerary for our December honeymoon.
My fiance and I are both from Australia - I've travelled a bit of Europe, him not so much. We're both 22, but have no desire to see any sort of club, or rowdy nightlife of any kind.
I'd love a snowy Christmas/New Year honeymoon with christmas markets, sleigh rides and open fire type scenarios with lots of amazing scenery. My fiance loves trains and boats so I was thinking something down the Rhine would be lovely for part of the trip. Neither of us are much on winter sports, but hiking is perfect. We have about three weeks and not a whole lot of money.
I'd like to start in Salzburg and then go to Munich for a few days and use that as a base to do some castle exploring and maybe see some of the smaller towns like Oberammergau.
After that I'm at a bit of a loss. Do we go north towards Strasbourg and Cologne (I've heard some things about the Roman ruins in Trier - are they worth a look?) or should we go more towards Switzerland - is it worth it if we arent skiing and the prices are higher? What's the best way to see the Rhine in winter? Would normal trains give us the sort of view we'd like? Do we need to get a 'special' train? Are there cruises running that aren't 8 day affairs that cost the earth filled with retirees? Also, I was thinking Christmas in Salzburg, but where do we go for a fun NY that doesnt involve all-night raving?
Would appreciate ALL help!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 23 day honeymoon to Greece
- 2 Italy travel plan help
- 3 Journees du patrimonie 2017
- 4 Loire Valley best place to linger
- 5 Posting Packages from Central Europe
- 6 Wales
- 7 How to spend 6 days in Stockholm ?
- 8 For Paris-knowledgable - best neighborhood to stay a week-plus
- 9 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 10 Adivice from experts please, Southern Dutch/Belgium German Borders
- 11 Tracking the Weather
- 12 Globus Iberian Tour
- 13 NOTICE: Disruption on the railway line Mannheim-Basel
- 14 Looking for a UK coach tour company for seniors
- 15 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 16 Budapest to Kosice
- 17 Poland to Austria In December
- 18 Assist Please: A'dam/Cologne/Mosel Valley/Aachen
- 19 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 20 Northern Tucany / Southern Emilia-Romagna / Cinc Terre What to Do?
- 21 Base in Rhine or Mosel?
- 22 Drive from Lake Como to Venice
- 23 Italy itinerary - input needed, please!!
- 24 Driving in Southern Italy - outside the beaten track
- 25 A few days in Naples - what a great city