I'm looking for some help in working out an itinerary for our December honeymoon.
My fiance and I are both from Australia - I've travelled a bit of Europe, him not so much. We're both 22, but have no desire to see any sort of club, or rowdy nightlife of any kind.
I'd love a snowy Christmas/New Year honeymoon with christmas markets, sleigh rides and open fire type scenarios with lots of amazing scenery. My fiance loves trains and boats so I was thinking something down the Rhine would be lovely for part of the trip. Neither of us are much on winter sports, but hiking is perfect. We have about three weeks and not a whole lot of money.
I'd like to start in Salzburg and then go to Munich for a few days and use that as a base to do some castle exploring and maybe see some of the smaller towns like Oberammergau.
After that I'm at a bit of a loss. Do we go north towards Strasbourg and Cologne (I've heard some things about the Roman ruins in Trier - are they worth a look?) or should we go more towards Switzerland - is it worth it if we arent skiing and the prices are higher? What's the best way to see the Rhine in winter? Would normal trains give us the sort of view we'd like? Do we need to get a 'special' train? Are there cruises running that aren't 8 day affairs that cost the earth filled with retirees? Also, I was thinking Christmas in Salzburg, but where do we go for a fun NY that doesnt involve all-night raving?
Would appreciate ALL help!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris Neighborhood Help
- 2 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 3 Ok then, what trip was difficult to organize?
- 4 Paging @bobthenavigator and others for Amalfi Coast accommodation advice
- 5 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 6 Caution picking car from Europcar at Stazione Termini
- 7 Arenalullring area Seville?
- 8 Norway Outside the Nutshell
- 9 LOAN OFFER APPLY @ 2% INTEREST RATE
- 10 Ambitious 1st time trip through Europe whilst pregnant??
- 11 Just the wine list please and Daisy came too.
- 12 Italy June 6-16
- 13 Question about Loire Valley châteaux
- 14 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg
- 15 To the top of Europe, and back again.
- 16 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 17 Help us with our new sharing economy business
- 18 Long weekend in Albania
- 19 Scotland in 18 nights, smirr and sun and mud!
- 20 car rental
- 21 Itinerary input for trip to Spain and France
- 22 Itinerary for European trip with 18 year old son
- 23 Northern Italy in 2 Weeks?
- 24 Munich and....???
- 25 Cyclades w/kids & my ruins-fanatic DH (itin and accommodation advice)