I'm looking for some help in working out an itinerary for our December honeymoon.
My fiance and I are both from Australia - I've travelled a bit of Europe, him not so much. We're both 22, but have no desire to see any sort of club, or rowdy nightlife of any kind.
I'd love a snowy Christmas/New Year honeymoon with christmas markets, sleigh rides and open fire type scenarios with lots of amazing scenery. My fiance loves trains and boats so I was thinking something down the Rhine would be lovely for part of the trip. Neither of us are much on winter sports, but hiking is perfect. We have about three weeks and not a whole lot of money.
I'd like to start in Salzburg and then go to Munich for a few days and use that as a base to do some castle exploring and maybe see some of the smaller towns like Oberammergau.
After that I'm at a bit of a loss. Do we go north towards Strasbourg and Cologne (I've heard some things about the Roman ruins in Trier - are they worth a look?) or should we go more towards Switzerland - is it worth it if we arent skiing and the prices are higher? What's the best way to see the Rhine in winter? Would normal trains give us the sort of view we'd like? Do we need to get a 'special' train? Are there cruises running that aren't 8 day affairs that cost the earth filled with retirees? Also, I was thinking Christmas in Salzburg, but where do we go for a fun NY that doesnt involve all-night raving?
Would appreciate ALL help!!
Honeymoon in Germany
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Northern Italy Itinerary Help
- 2 6 additional days starting from Munich in April - recommendations?
- 3 help-unlocking a cingular blackberry
- 4 Pyrenees logistics
- 5 Northern Europe in April-May
- 6 8 Days in Switzerland for the non skier
- 7 One week in Spain, late May
- 8 How to decide where to go in Europe
- 9 Greece and Italy in 20 days
- 10 Early stages of planning for Euro trip + would love suggestions
- 11 history museums or locations
- 12 Normandy and Loire
- 13 Toulouse & Paris Day Trips
- 14 Hotels/B&B's in Monterosso
- 15 malta
- 16 First time Ireland trip
- 17 Need Advice! Munich to Strasbourg to Paris
- 18 Family vacay for 6 weeks with 2 Toddlers
- 19 Iwango went…to Nice
- 20 Dining at the Eiffel Tower: 58 Tour Eiffel Restaurant Review
- 21 5 Observations About Paris
- 22 Solo, inexperienced traveler struggling w/ logistics
- 23 Euro Trivia Quiz #16
- 24 A Duty Nobly Done — Anselm and Margriet in Flanders and Picardy
- 25 “… I fear’d to set my foot upon a dead man’s cheek” - Anselm in northern France