I'm looking for some help in working out an itinerary for our December honeymoon.
My fiance and I are both from Australia - I've travelled a bit of Europe, him not so much. We're both 22, but have no desire to see any sort of club, or rowdy nightlife of any kind.
I'd love a snowy Christmas/New Year honeymoon with christmas markets, sleigh rides and open fire type scenarios with lots of amazing scenery. My fiance loves trains and boats so I was thinking something down the Rhine would be lovely for part of the trip. Neither of us are much on winter sports, but hiking is perfect. We have about three weeks and not a whole lot of money.
I'd like to start in Salzburg and then go to Munich for a few days and use that as a base to do some castle exploring and maybe see some of the smaller towns like Oberammergau.
After that I'm at a bit of a loss. Do we go north towards Strasbourg and Cologne (I've heard some things about the Roman ruins in Trier - are they worth a look?) or should we go more towards Switzerland - is it worth it if we arent skiing and the prices are higher? What's the best way to see the Rhine in winter? Would normal trains give us the sort of view we'd like? Do we need to get a 'special' train? Are there cruises running that aren't 8 day affairs that cost the earth filled with retirees? Also, I was thinking Christmas in Salzburg, but where do we go for a fun NY that doesnt involve all-night raving?
Would appreciate ALL help!!
Honeymoon in Germany
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 1 week in Switzerland with 18 year old son
- 2 Monet in Normandy
- 3 Driving to Paris... Parking?
- 4 Useful website for France
- 5 storing luggage for 10 days in Paris?
- 6 London visit
- 7 Croatia/Slovenia 2014
- 8 Italian cooking classes
- 9 Duoro Valley lodging for 3 in June
- 10 Amalfi coast in 4 days starting today, plz advise.
- 11 Croatia-Slovenia-Austria Itinerary Help!
- 12 Small group for Colosseum
- 13 Experience with car service "Paris Cab" and others that have carseats?
- 14 best time to book accommodation
- 15 Tram 28 safe to travel with kids?
- 16 Portugal with a 3 year old and 1 year old
- 17 Planning 17 days Italy - Switzerland - Germany
- 18 Our Silver Lining Tour: A German Journey & Queen's Day Too
- 19 SIM card for eastern europe
- 20 portugal trip 14 days - where to visit and stay
- 21 Water taxi reservations in Venice
- 22 A little help needed for Dordogne area
- 23 London Tube strike scheduled for Apr 28 (2 days) and May 5 (3 days). Help!
- 24 Train from Barcelona to Madrid
- 25 Any experience with Cave Lodging in Loire Valley?