I'm looking for some help in working out an itinerary for our December honeymoon.
My fiance and I are both from Australia - I've travelled a bit of Europe, him not so much. We're both 22, but have no desire to see any sort of club, or rowdy nightlife of any kind.
I'd love a snowy Christmas/New Year honeymoon with christmas markets, sleigh rides and open fire type scenarios with lots of amazing scenery. My fiance loves trains and boats so I was thinking something down the Rhine would be lovely for part of the trip. Neither of us are much on winter sports, but hiking is perfect. We have about three weeks and not a whole lot of money.
I'd like to start in Salzburg and then go to Munich for a few days and use that as a base to do some castle exploring and maybe see some of the smaller towns like Oberammergau.
After that I'm at a bit of a loss. Do we go north towards Strasbourg and Cologne (I've heard some things about the Roman ruins in Trier - are they worth a look?) or should we go more towards Switzerland - is it worth it if we arent skiing and the prices are higher? What's the best way to see the Rhine in winter? Would normal trains give us the sort of view we'd like? Do we need to get a 'special' train? Are there cruises running that aren't 8 day affairs that cost the earth filled with retirees? Also, I was thinking Christmas in Salzburg, but where do we go for a fun NY that doesnt involve all-night raving?
Would appreciate ALL help!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Escargots in Paris
- 2 The Mystic East - a tale of hot food, hot weather, airmiles and imodium.
- 3 We're here!
- 4 Barcelona - How much Gaudi?
- 5 5 days near Munich, Germany in late-May
- 6 Trip Ideas
- 7 Boston to Le Marche - which airport?
- 8 Another tipping question: concierges
- 9 Six Nights (and days) in the Marais
- 10 Versailles tour with evening light show
- 11 Full day in Sintra..what to focus on
- 12 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 13 Input on Itinerary for Visit to Bavaria and Austria Fall 2017
- 14 SOUTH OF FRANCE / ITALY ITINERARY SUGGESTIONS
- 15 Vienna, Austria for 5 days in early June
- 16 Madrid and Granada in Jan
- 17 Malaga City Center Hotels
- 18 Paris + Amsterdam: where to stay
- 19 Ferry - Dubrovnik to Bari - Cabins
- 20 Is Eiffel tower closed from 25-31 Dec?
- 21 London: Flaming June and Pirates of Penzeance!
- 22 Paris: Where to find Steak Tartar and Escargot?
- 23 Acropolis Athens
- 24 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 25 Fodors IT team, ITS TIME.