I'm looking for some help in working out an itinerary for our December honeymoon.
My fiance and I are both from Australia - I've travelled a bit of Europe, him not so much. We're both 22, but have no desire to see any sort of club, or rowdy nightlife of any kind.
I'd love a snowy Christmas/New Year honeymoon with christmas markets, sleigh rides and open fire type scenarios with lots of amazing scenery. My fiance loves trains and boats so I was thinking something down the Rhine would be lovely for part of the trip. Neither of us are much on winter sports, but hiking is perfect. We have about three weeks and not a whole lot of money.
I'd like to start in Salzburg and then go to Munich for a few days and use that as a base to do some castle exploring and maybe see some of the smaller towns like Oberammergau.
After that I'm at a bit of a loss. Do we go north towards Strasbourg and Cologne (I've heard some things about the Roman ruins in Trier - are they worth a look?) or should we go more towards Switzerland - is it worth it if we arent skiing and the prices are higher? What's the best way to see the Rhine in winter? Would normal trains give us the sort of view we'd like? Do we need to get a 'special' train? Are there cruises running that aren't 8 day affairs that cost the earth filled with retirees? Also, I was thinking Christmas in Salzburg, but where do we go for a fun NY that doesnt involve all-night raving?
Would appreciate ALL help!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Whirlwind Italy in 16 days
- 2 Gas/Petrol shortages in France?
- 3 England and Wales’s summer tour warm-up
- 4 Barcelona on budget
- 5 Catalunya, Cathars and Castles (and vino!)
- 6 Cheese Tours in Italy
- 7 To St. Pancras at stupid-o'clock: how would you do it?
- 8 When to Arrive At The Airport
- 9 Trip to London with side trip to Wales/daytrip?
- 10 Edinburgh-London-Paris in that order
- 11 Book recommendation: Non-travel book about the Dolomites
- 12 Solo backpacking for 5 weeks
- 13 to do with kids 2 1/2 days with a layover in frankfurt
- 14 Plug ins for London and Paris
- 15 France: advice on where to go with young kids
- 16 New Dublin Museum
- 17 Touring Switzerland, Germany, and Austria
- 18 German Train travel
- 19 Car service- Suitcase & hand luggage
- 20 How best to spend a long day in Warnemunde
- 21 Beyond the Trees: At Altitude in Italy's Snowy Dolomites
- 22 London theatre fans: advance info about Globe productions?
- 23 Uber in Poland and Germany
- 24 Northern Italian Food
- 25 Does anyone ever "meet the locals"?