My girl and I are trying to decide where to go for New Year's and the choice is down to Switzerland, Rome, Barcelona and Amsterdam.
1. In Switzerland we would stay in Zurich (can't change this for another city) and would visit Lugano, Geneva, Luzern and Bern. We don't know much about Switzerland but we know it is pretty expensive and that it has beautiful nature. Does the nature thing apply to these cities as well or that's only for the mountains? Is there enough to see and do there without breaking the bank?
We would stay in a hotel that's 20min tram ride from the city center, so does anyone know until what time does the public transport operates and how much are the tickets?
2. In Rome we would stay in the city center. Would visit Vatican and Pompeii and maybe something else. I know there's more than enough to see there but the Trevi Fountain, which we would love to see, would be closed due to restoration.
3. In Barcelona we would stay in the city center. Everybody says how beautiful the city is but, looking at the pictures, I don't know what is so beautiful. Is it really?
4. In Amsterdam we would also stay in city center. We have already been in Ams last new year's but we absolutely loved it but maybe it's better to see something new.
We are 24 and 22. We don't really care about night clubs or museums. We like to walk around beautiful and fun places. We want the city to have things to do and things to try like sangria in Barcelona for example (read: traditional and some would say touristy things). We like cities like Amsterdam with it's vibrancy and where everything is open 'till late. We want to be able to try some traditional food and drinks but we don't like to spend too much money in expensive and fancy restaurants on our trips. We prefer to eat in cafes, pubs and street vendors.
I like new year's and Christmassy atmosphere, which I think we wouldn't find in Barcelona. Weather is not a big issue in Amsterdam where everything is near but we wouldn't want rain in Barcelona (everything other than rain is ok).
Thank your for reading and every comment would be appreciated, cheers!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 where to stay between Salamanca and Zaragoza?
- 2 One week in Europe
- 3 Positano or Sorrento?
- 4 Jamikins? Other Italy travelers? Need car info, please.
- 5 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 6 Switzerland in September
- 7 Uber in Rome & Lisbon
- 8 My final Prague itinerary
- 9 Last minute trip to Capri
- 10 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 11 weekend from cologne germany
- 12 Globus Iberian Tour
- 13 Help with my trip to Paris and London
- 14 Last minute trip to Germany and Switzerland
- 15 13 nights in switzerland
- 16 10-Day Trip Planned..Need Recommendations
- 17 Earthquake near Naples
- 18 Greece - 8 days - Recommendations please!
- 19 London Theater
- 20 First time to Spain: Seville & Madrid
- 21 UK or France or elsewhere, July 2018, good price from west coast?
- 22 Estonia, Finland, and Iceland: Summer 2017
- 23 Driving from Rome to Sicily and back
- 24 Munich itinerary review
- 25 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip