Just learned that we will be in France during three national holidays in May: May Day, WWII Victory Day and Ascension Day. Other than the prospect of bigger crowds I'm wondering if this might also affect business closings. I'm concerned because Rick Steves (in his 2010 book on France) mentioned that May can be bad - without giving details) In addition, I nearly went mad trying to schedule an online rental car drop-off in Avignon for May 9 of this year. Kept getting the message: "Drop Off location closed." According to Auto Europe this was because May 9 is Ascension Day. But, a few days later I attempted essentially the same online scheduling and had no problem! Does anyone have experience with holiday closings in France or any further comments? Thanks!
Holiday Effects in France?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Mother daughter London/Ireland trip
- 2 DEAUVILLE or HONFLEUR for overnight stay?
- 3 Western Mediterranean Honeymoon Cruise Leaving from Barcelona
- 4 Itinerary for Spain
- 5 Dordogne prehistoric sites
- 6 Practicing Spanish while in Spain - any ideas?
- 7 Berlin to Prague via Dresden
- 8 Paradors in Avila, Segovia, Salamanca and Cuenca Spain
- 9 2 different itineraries
- 10 Recommend a tour company?
- 11 Itinerary help
- 12 England in 7 days
- 13 France and Italy 15 nights. Suggestions welcomed.
- 14 Germany -Preliminary Planning 2 weeks in Sept/15
- 15 Day Trips from Paris
- 16 Rome: Vatican to Tiburtina Station by bus?
- 17 Spanish Music
- 18 Spain and Portugal in Depth
- 19 first trip to Spain - questions and itinerary review
- 20 Travel with kids (6 & 8 yrs) to Germany/Switzerland/Liechtenstein
- 21 Umbria - planning for 3 or 4 days in April
- 22 Loco Spain Train Questions
- 23 Arles as a base?
- 24 22 days in Amsterdam, Germany, Austria and Switzerland
- 25 Travel from Budapest to Rovinj, Croatia