Just learned that we will be in France during three national holidays in May: May Day, WWII Victory Day and Ascension Day. Other than the prospect of bigger crowds I'm wondering if this might also affect business closings. I'm concerned because Rick Steves (in his 2010 book on France) mentioned that May can be bad - without giving details) In addition, I nearly went mad trying to schedule an online rental car drop-off in Avignon for May 9 of this year. Kept getting the message: "Drop Off location closed." According to Auto Europe this was because May 9 is Ascension Day. But, a few days later I attempted essentially the same online scheduling and had no problem! Does anyone have experience with holiday closings in France or any further comments? Thanks!
Holiday Effects in France?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Best Option for London Travelcard?
- 2 Paris to Barcelona by car/train - including Loire/Bordeax/Carcassonne
- 3 Best places to stay in Bristol?
- 4 Euro Trivia Quiz #12 - Know Your Rivers?
- 5 5 Observations About Paris
- 6 Truffles, Tajarin & Turin…Two weeks in the Piemonte Region of Italy
- 7 Five Nights in Budapest: A Quick Winter Getaway
- 8 Minimalist wardrobe for Europe
- 9 Italy, mid May, 10 days, Rome + another city?
- 10 Paris-Loire-Avignon-Barcelona itinerary (help)
- 11 Southern Spain
- 12 Museums in Berlin
- 13 Combinations euro rail and river cruise
- 14 Schengen Visa Rules
- 15 Scotland November 2015
- 16 Since Paris is ALWAYS good idea
- 17 Recommended overnight stops on Iceland ring road
- 18 2014 Ferry Boat Schedules Salerno/Amalfi/Positano Just Released
- 19 Itinerary help, England/Wales
- 20 Sono arrivato a Venezia
- 21 Switzerland's Iconic Postal Buses...A Whole Different Switzerland!
- 22 3 days and 4 nights in Switzerland
- 23 Neuschwanstein Castle from Zermatt
- 24 5 Hoosiers - help with route through Germany
- 25 Luxury hotel base Positano or Sorrento with 2 teen daughters