Just learned that we will be in France during three national holidays in May: May Day, WWII Victory Day and Ascension Day. Other than the prospect of bigger crowds I'm wondering if this might also affect business closings. I'm concerned because Rick Steves (in his 2010 book on France) mentioned that May can be bad - without giving details) In addition, I nearly went mad trying to schedule an online rental car drop-off in Avignon for May 9 of this year. Kept getting the message: "Drop Off location closed." According to Auto Europe this was because May 9 is Ascension Day. But, a few days later I attempted essentially the same online scheduling and had no problem! Does anyone have experience with holiday closings in France or any further comments? Thanks!
Holiday Effects in France?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Mittenwald (or general vicinity)
- 2 Top 10 Don't Miss -- ROI and NI
- 3 For Those of You Who Scoff At Train Travel
- 4 Warning NEVER BOOK at Castro Exclusive Residences Barcelona!
- 5 Roaming Romania, Take Two
- 6 Barcelona attraction tickets
- 7 Madrid & Andalucía: 26 Years Later
- 8 Norway 2014
- 9 Croatia, Slovenia, Salzburg and Prague 3 week Trip Report
- 10 Portugal Trip Report 2014
- 11 Adventures in Italy with Momma
- 12 6+ weeks in Portugal and Spain - itinerary suggestions pls
- 13 Reykjavik hotels
- 14 Taking a group to Istanbul: need advice
- 15 I dream of Europe
- 16 "Or Like in Europe Where Folks Share Tables to Save Space"
- 17 Parma- Uh, Oops- Historic Dist. Ticket
- 18 First Time to UK since 2001
- 19 Loire Valley - Private Driver/Guide
- 20 Can you help me with an Oyster Card?
- 21 Solo 55 year old female in Istanbul for 3.5 days mid-December
- 22 need help with a european/UK winter travel itinerary (3 weeks)
- 23 Backpacking Europe in the Winter
- 24 Cappadocia/Kas/Cirali/IST Spring 2014 Trip Report
- 25 ...Got a speeding ticket in Spain...