Just learned that we will be in France during three national holidays in May: May Day, WWII Victory Day and Ascension Day. Other than the prospect of bigger crowds I'm wondering if this might also affect business closings. I'm concerned because Rick Steves (in his 2010 book on France) mentioned that May can be bad - without giving details) In addition, I nearly went mad trying to schedule an online rental car drop-off in Avignon for May 9 of this year. Kept getting the message: "Drop Off location closed." According to Auto Europe this was because May 9 is Ascension Day. But, a few days later I attempted essentially the same online scheduling and had no problem! Does anyone have experience with holiday closings in France or any further comments? Thanks!
Holiday Effects in France?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Savoring Sicily - A Trip Report
- 2 Santorini transportation
- 3 Touring Dover Castle
- 4 Buses in Amalfi coast town areas
- 5 Frecciabianca Seat Selection, please help.
- 6 Luggage on train from Waterloo to Southampton
- 7 Swiss Pass - Purchase Online or in-Person
- 8 Help me plan Greece portion of anniversary trip
- 9 Cell phones in Ireland
- 10 Mephisto Shoes in Paris
- 11 Turin: Have you used the Torino+Piemonte card?
- 12 Carry on luggage only with a family travelling to Europe?
- 13 Apartment rental suggestions in Florence and Rome
- 14 Madrid and London
- 15 Riverboat Moscow to St. Petersburg
- 16 Ireland: Need help deciding about maps and SIM card
- 17 50 and Fabulous in 2015---need help planning my trip to Amalfi, FINALLY
- 18 7 Nights in Paris
- 19 Restaurants with good food + great view: Chianti & Val d'orcia
- 20 What is the LEAST expensive way to see the interior of Opera Garnier?
- 21 Day trips from Varenna, Lake Como
- 22 non-touristy in Umbria or Tuscany?
- 23 3 weeks in Europe
- 24 Our Spain Adventure -- Cordoba, Seville, Granada and Barcelona! (Part One)
- 25 What can we do with 4 hours in Paris layover