My wife and I are interesting in arranging a hiking trip this summer in the Swiss Alps. Ideally we'd like to hike from inn-to-inn during the day. And we'd prefer to do this by ourselves (no guide), although we'd love to somehow figure out a way to send our luggage in a car while we hiked.
So Fodorites....is there a good place to start focusing my efforts? A string of Alpine huts or perhaps a good town to start from?
Two years ago in Italy we encountered a German couple that was doing a similar thing in Italy. They had arranged with a company to transport their luggage when they went hiking, so it would be waiting for them at the hotel when they arrived. They told us this was common in Europe, and to us it looked like an awesome trip.
An outfit that could enable us to easily make this happen? We're not looking for an all-inclusive trip. We're hoping to rent these inns ourselves and just hike at our own pace. We're both in excellent shape, and grew up deep in the Rockies so we are very comfortable in the mountains. We're pretty flexible on price, so we would consider pricey and cheap accommodations.
This is for a 10 day trip (including travel from NYC), so ideally we're looking for a circuit where we could hit a few various inns over the course of a pretty quick trip.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Archetypical White Christmas
- 2 Buying Plane Tickets 101
- 3 Paris Here We Come
- 4 Ferrari Factory
- 5 Best new years?
- 6 Cheshire, England Hotelsq
- 7 Amalfi Coast in June
- 8 Rental Cars and paying the electronic tolls in Portugal
- 9 Where to go after Venice Italy?
- 10 Madrid & Barcelona Questions
- 11 Trouble in Istanbul or just precautions?
- 12 How to Spot an American in Europe
- 13 Paris (relax), Amboise, Loire (bicycle)
- 14 Rome, Florence, Venice
- 15 Barcelona - Am I the only one who wasn't blown away?
- 16 Thinking of ROME? Really???
- 17 Paris dining-with teens
- 18 Paris GTG - October 21
- 19 First Weekend in Switzerland
- 20 Romantic Honeymoon Ideas for Jan end/early Feb 2016 please!
- 21 Hanover, Germany, where to eat and stay
- 22 Exploring the neighbourhoods of Berlin
- 23 Fall 2015 Balkans Trip Report - Mostly Croatia & Slovenia
- 24 Tbilisi in Georgia, let yourself be charmed!
- 25 A romantic weekend in Paris with outstanding food!
Hiking inn-to-inn in Swiss Alps without a guide. Where to start looking?