My wife and I are interesting in arranging a hiking trip this summer in the Swiss Alps. Ideally we'd like to hike from inn-to-inn during the day. And we'd prefer to do this by ourselves (no guide), although we'd love to somehow figure out a way to send our luggage in a car while we hiked.
So Fodorites....is there a good place to start focusing my efforts? A string of Alpine huts or perhaps a good town to start from?
Two years ago in Italy we encountered a German couple that was doing a similar thing in Italy. They had arranged with a company to transport their luggage when they went hiking, so it would be waiting for them at the hotel when they arrived. They told us this was common in Europe, and to us it looked like an awesome trip.
An outfit that could enable us to easily make this happen? We're not looking for an all-inclusive trip. We're hoping to rent these inns ourselves and just hike at our own pace. We're both in excellent shape, and grew up deep in the Rockies so we are very comfortable in the mountains. We're pretty flexible on price, so we would consider pricey and cheap accommodations.
This is for a 10 day trip (including travel from NYC), so ideally we're looking for a circuit where we could hit a few various inns over the course of a pretty quick trip.
Hiking inn-to-inn in Swiss Alps without a guide. Where to start looking?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Barcelona and Italy itinerary...hotels all set, need help w some details
- 2 Ireland Southwest
- 3 Wisdom needed for a itinerary in northern Italy, Bavaria and Prague
- 4 Monet in Normandy
- 5 London Tube strike scheduled for Apr 28 (2 days) and May 5 (3 days). Help!
- 6 Amalfi Coast/Sorrento Itinerary Help!
- 7 Rome airport--should I arrive more than 2 hours early?
- 8 Mephisto Shoes in Paris
- 9 3 weeks in Europe
- 10 avoiding stuffy and inflexible service at nice european resorts
- 11 Matisse at Tate
- 12 How to fit in Madrid, Lorca and possibly Toledo in 4 days?
- 13 Luggage on train from Waterloo to Southampton
- 14 Solo Trip to Rome for Language School
- 15 Spain, France, Netherlands with 18, 19 yo grandsons
- 16 Rethymnon vs. Chania in early October?
- 17 Madrid and London
- 18 Planning for Italy trip with a two-year old
- 19 What to book ahead in Barcelona?
- 20 Train from Brussels to Amsterdam
- 21 Suggestions on how best to spend our time in Lyon
- 22 Yacht trip on coast of Spain
- 23 Driving to Paris... Parking?
- 24 Honeymoon in Greece or Italy or Spain?
- 25 Question for best Town to base for touring the Amalfi Coast