My wife and I are interesting in arranging a hiking trip this summer in the Swiss Alps. Ideally we'd like to hike from inn-to-inn during the day. And we'd prefer to do this by ourselves (no guide), although we'd love to somehow figure out a way to send our luggage in a car while we hiked.
So Fodorites....is there a good place to start focusing my efforts? A string of Alpine huts or perhaps a good town to start from?
Two years ago in Italy we encountered a German couple that was doing a similar thing in Italy. They had arranged with a company to transport their luggage when they went hiking, so it would be waiting for them at the hotel when they arrived. They told us this was common in Europe, and to us it looked like an awesome trip.
An outfit that could enable us to easily make this happen? We're not looking for an all-inclusive trip. We're hoping to rent these inns ourselves and just hike at our own pace. We're both in excellent shape, and grew up deep in the Rockies so we are very comfortable in the mountains. We're pretty flexible on price, so we would consider pricey and cheap accommodations.
This is for a 10 day trip (including travel from NYC), so ideally we're looking for a circuit where we could hit a few various inns over the course of a pretty quick trip.
Hiking inn-to-inn in Swiss Alps without a guide. Where to start looking?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Need help extending plan beyond France
- 2 In Paris on my own
- 3 Train tickets within Italy
- 4 Brittany and Normandy coast
- 5 Pick my Paris Restaurants
- 6 Questions for Paris residents
- 7 Avoid Web Reservation International Maffia!
- 8 MaiTaiTom's Paris When It Sizzles; Paris When It Fizzles Anniversary Trip
- 9 18 days driving trip Rome>Spain>Rome
- 10 Overnight in London - Hotel Recs?
- 11 Venice - apartment??????
- 12 Our first trip to Europe
- 13 Southwestern England
- 14 Vatican Museum tour guide
- 15 Stay in Venice
- 16 Teen Mens Fashion/Apparel?
- 17 France Tourisme - Is it a reliable tour company?
- 18 Where to stay in Barcelona
- 19 What is the perfect day in Bruges?
- 20 Itinerary help: St. Remy / Marseille / Nice then? end in Milan
- 21 lauterbrunnen lodging, down to 2 choices
- 22 Siciliy - travel from Taormina to Siracusa via public transportation
- 23 Vienna →Melk → Durnstein → Krems: details, details…
- 24 Train Madrid-Granada-Seville?
- 25 Mont St. Michele?