My wife and I are interesting in arranging a hiking trip this summer in the Swiss Alps. Ideally we'd like to hike from inn-to-inn during the day. And we'd prefer to do this by ourselves (no guide), although we'd love to somehow figure out a way to send our luggage in a car while we hiked.
So Fodorites....is there a good place to start focusing my efforts? A string of Alpine huts or perhaps a good town to start from?
Two years ago in Italy we encountered a German couple that was doing a similar thing in Italy. They had arranged with a company to transport their luggage when they went hiking, so it would be waiting for them at the hotel when they arrived. They told us this was common in Europe, and to us it looked like an awesome trip.
An outfit that could enable us to easily make this happen? We're not looking for an all-inclusive trip. We're hoping to rent these inns ourselves and just hike at our own pace. We're both in excellent shape, and grew up deep in the Rockies so we are very comfortable in the mountains. We're pretty flexible on price, so we would consider pricey and cheap accommodations.
This is for a 10 day trip (including travel from NYC), so ideally we're looking for a circuit where we could hit a few various inns over the course of a pretty quick trip.
Hiking inn-to-inn in Swiss Alps without a guide. Where to start looking?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Museums for 12 year old girl and pastry day class
- 2 5 day Barcelona itineary
- 3 Nike tennis shoes and leggings
- 4 Hoping to stay cool this summer - any comments on my northern itinerary?
- 5 London, Vienna, Prague Trip Report -- Part 2 Easter Sunday London
- 6 What to do, what to do... early arrival, late departure
- 7 Eastern Pyrenees for family with children
- 8 Change in Travel
- 9 Best Location for Month Stay in Spain
- 10 Euro Quiz # 87 - Paris Potpourri
- 11 Train des Pignes
- 12 London and nearby suggestions
- 13 which mountain for snow experience for non skier - first visit to France
- 14 Thinking About Amsterdam
- 15 Switzerland - Lucerne & 2 nights
- 16 Why Is Europe Becoming More Prudish? Or Is It?
- 17 Spring in Spain: Crawling up Mallorca; Pushing Through Toledo
- 18 Randolph Hotel on fire
- 19 Which base in the Cotswolds
- 20 What is open in Naples on May 1 ?
- 21 Dört Tepeler at Elbeyli, İznik
- 22 Plitvice Lakes - One Night or Two?
- 23 Any other tour/sightseeing sites, besides Viator???
- 24 France and Spain in 14 days?
- 25 Typical where to go honeymoon question. But please help