My wife and I are interesting in arranging a hiking trip this summer in the Swiss Alps. Ideally we'd like to hike from inn-to-inn during the day. And we'd prefer to do this by ourselves (no guide), although we'd love to somehow figure out a way to send our luggage in a car while we hiked.
So Fodorites....is there a good place to start focusing my efforts? A string of Alpine huts or perhaps a good town to start from?
Two years ago in Italy we encountered a German couple that was doing a similar thing in Italy. They had arranged with a company to transport their luggage when they went hiking, so it would be waiting for them at the hotel when they arrived. They told us this was common in Europe, and to us it looked like an awesome trip.
An outfit that could enable us to easily make this happen? We're not looking for an all-inclusive trip. We're hoping to rent these inns ourselves and just hike at our own pace. We're both in excellent shape, and grew up deep in the Rockies so we are very comfortable in the mountains. We're pretty flexible on price, so we would consider pricey and cheap accommodations.
This is for a 10 day trip (including travel from NYC), so ideally we're looking for a circuit where we could hit a few various inns over the course of a pretty quick trip.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Tirano to Paris via bernina express in 1 day
- 2 Rome Private Tours
- 3 Questions about regionale trains
- 4 15 nights in Italy
- 5 Buying a SIM in Spain and using it in Italy, France and the UK also
- 6 5 Days in Provence
- 7 Leather "warehouse" between Kudassi and Seluck
- 8 Rome Sistine Chapel Night Tour
- 9 5 top Scams in Paris
- 10 RHK's Spring Trip
- 11 September Mediterranean Honeymoon
- 12 Versailles or Mont St Michel ?
- 13 Croatia Trip Report Part 1
- 14 Finalizing Itinerary
- 15 Feedback Please: Honeymoon Itinerary....first draft
- 16 Venice to split croatia
- 17 Malaga Train Station Car Drop off
- 18 Euro Quiz # 104 - Memorial Day...
- 19 Not-so-Expensive Restaurants in Copenhagen, Stockholm and Oslo
- 20 Paris 5 Day itinerary - Suggestions plz
- 21 How to order free Lebara SIM card from the U.S.?
- 22 Day Trip from Geneva - Need Advice
- 23 Athens Hotels Plaka
- 24 Two days in Switzerland or Lake Como Italy
- 25 A day in Killarney
Hiking inn-to-inn in Swiss Alps without a guide. Where to start looking?