My wife and I are interesting in arranging a hiking trip this summer in the Swiss Alps. Ideally we'd like to hike from inn-to-inn during the day. And we'd prefer to do this by ourselves (no guide), although we'd love to somehow figure out a way to send our luggage in a car while we hiked.
So Fodorites....is there a good place to start focusing my efforts? A string of Alpine huts or perhaps a good town to start from?
Two years ago in Italy we encountered a German couple that was doing a similar thing in Italy. They had arranged with a company to transport their luggage when they went hiking, so it would be waiting for them at the hotel when they arrived. They told us this was common in Europe, and to us it looked like an awesome trip.
An outfit that could enable us to easily make this happen? We're not looking for an all-inclusive trip. We're hoping to rent these inns ourselves and just hike at our own pace. We're both in excellent shape, and grew up deep in the Rockies so we are very comfortable in the mountains. We're pretty flexible on price, so we would consider pricey and cheap accommodations.
This is for a 10 day trip (including travel from NYC), so ideally we're looking for a circuit where we could hit a few various inns over the course of a pretty quick trip.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help with travel from Cinque Terre to Milan Linate Airport!
- 2 4 Nights in London - Itinerary Details
- 3 Which order should I travel
- 4 Which order should I travel
- 5 Which order should I travel
- 6 Barcelona completely overrated
- 7 Earthquake, so sad for Italy
- 8 Dordogne and Loire Valley
- 9 Ravello to Paestum
- 10 Europe 27 days trip, HELP!
- 11 Based in Burford, how to spend our time
- 12 Germany, May'16: Four seasons in three weeks.
- 13 Spain Itinerary Help
- 14 Switzerland and Northern Italy
- 15 Puffins! No luck. So, where and when did you see them?
- 16 And now...the 100 best things in Iceland.
- 17 First visit to France/Dordogne
- 18 What Greek islands should I visit
- 19 Milan to Zurich - stops & stayovers
- 20 Trip Report Crete May 2016
- 21 Second thoughts on Lucerne as base
- 22 Girona and Besalau
- 23 A week in Europe (Switzerland area)
- 24 Europe Destination with kids?
- 25 Spanish leather -- women's leather vest
Hiking inn-to-inn in Swiss Alps without a guide. Where to start looking?