My wife and I are interesting in arranging a hiking trip this summer in the Swiss Alps. Ideally we'd like to hike from inn-to-inn during the day. And we'd prefer to do this by ourselves (no guide), although we'd love to somehow figure out a way to send our luggage in a car while we hiked.
So Fodorites....is there a good place to start focusing my efforts? A string of Alpine huts or perhaps a good town to start from?
Two years ago in Italy we encountered a German couple that was doing a similar thing in Italy. They had arranged with a company to transport their luggage when they went hiking, so it would be waiting for them at the hotel when they arrived. They told us this was common in Europe, and to us it looked like an awesome trip.
An outfit that could enable us to easily make this happen? We're not looking for an all-inclusive trip. We're hoping to rent these inns ourselves and just hike at our own pace. We're both in excellent shape, and grew up deep in the Rockies so we are very comfortable in the mountains. We're pretty flexible on price, so we would consider pricey and cheap accommodations.
This is for a 10 day trip (including travel from NYC), so ideally we're looking for a circuit where we could hit a few various inns over the course of a pretty quick trip.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Day Trip to Sorrento - Help!
- 2 La Tavola Marche
- 3 Shuttle Service in Paris
- 4 Italian Roadtrip ideas/feedback
- 5 Balleseede Castle in Trallee or Killarney
- 6 Paris - for the 6th time - need new ideas!
- 7 Portugal - 2 weeks itinerary critique
- 8 Most beautiful cities in Europe?
- 9 The ever-popular Chip and Pin Credit Card
- 10 MaiTaiTom's "Insane For Spain" - 2015
- 11 Sunday Markets in Paris
- 12 Dordogne Itinerary
- 13 2 Days in Istanbul
- 14 iPHone 6 use in Paris, with ATT?
- 15 Dreaming of a hiking trip for 2016
- 16 9 days in Austria. Vienna plus 4 days w/car, Salzburg, then train back
- 17 Giving credit card details to Hotels for reservation
- 18 Small-group day tours from London?
- 19 Journees du Patrimoine
- 20 Segovia Hotel
- 21 Great Hotels in Prague and Vienna?
- 22 6 weeks in Tuscany-things to do
- 23 Clown wants to do some street performing in Europe
- 24 Best location to stay in Seville
- 25 Wroclaw & Krakow, Poland
Hiking inn-to-inn in Swiss Alps without a guide. Where to start looking?