My wife and I are interesting in arranging a hiking trip this summer in the Swiss Alps. Ideally we'd like to hike from inn-to-inn during the day. And we'd prefer to do this by ourselves (no guide), although we'd love to somehow figure out a way to send our luggage in a car while we hiked.
So Fodorites....is there a good place to start focusing my efforts? A string of Alpine huts or perhaps a good town to start from?
Two years ago in Italy we encountered a German couple that was doing a similar thing in Italy. They had arranged with a company to transport their luggage when they went hiking, so it would be waiting for them at the hotel when they arrived. They told us this was common in Europe, and to us it looked like an awesome trip.
An outfit that could enable us to easily make this happen? We're not looking for an all-inclusive trip. We're hoping to rent these inns ourselves and just hike at our own pace. We're both in excellent shape, and grew up deep in the Rockies so we are very comfortable in the mountains. We're pretty flexible on price, so we would consider pricey and cheap accommodations.
This is for a 10 day trip (including travel from NYC), so ideally we're looking for a circuit where we could hit a few various inns over the course of a pretty quick trip.
Hiking inn-to-inn in Swiss Alps without a guide. Where to start looking?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 London restaurants
- 2 Bilbo's wedding in Puglia, what could go wrong?
- 3 Day Trips from Nice
- 4 Swiss Air seat assignments
- 5 Northern Italy for Nature Lovers/Crowd Haters
- 6 Paris Markets for a 5 Course Meal
- 7 Flight into London out Frankfurt (stop Paris, Amsterdam Prague)?
- 8 Istanbul water
- 9 Spain Rental Car Logistics - Barcelona Train Station
- 10 Appropriate attire for Provence
- 11 City Night Line from Paris to Munich
- 12 Peggy does Deutschland...
- 13 Madrid: City Views
- 14 Marche Bastille - Oct Hours and Meet up Location?
- 15 Madrid: Historic Homes & Gardens
- 16 Norway 2014
- 17 Train from Orvieto to Rome station- 11:23 the earliest time??
- 18 A bit MORE of the Camino de Santiago
- 19 July in The Mezzogiorno – 3 weeks in Southern Italy: Amalfi Coast & Puglia
- 20 Anyone familiar with these Ile St. Louis apartments?
- 21 Barcelona at night? Single female...
- 22 Cinque Terre v Tuscany
- 23 Siena Favorites?
- 24 biking in France
- 25 using airbnb for the first time...