My wife and I are interesting in arranging a hiking trip this summer in the Swiss Alps. Ideally we'd like to hike from inn-to-inn during the day. And we'd prefer to do this by ourselves (no guide), although we'd love to somehow figure out a way to send our luggage in a car while we hiked.
So Fodorites....is there a good place to start focusing my efforts? A string of Alpine huts or perhaps a good town to start from?
Two years ago in Italy we encountered a German couple that was doing a similar thing in Italy. They had arranged with a company to transport their luggage when they went hiking, so it would be waiting for them at the hotel when they arrived. They told us this was common in Europe, and to us it looked like an awesome trip.
An outfit that could enable us to easily make this happen? We're not looking for an all-inclusive trip. We're hoping to rent these inns ourselves and just hike at our own pace. We're both in excellent shape, and grew up deep in the Rockies so we are very comfortable in the mountains. We're pretty flexible on price, so we would consider pricey and cheap accommodations.
This is for a 10 day trip (including travel from NYC), so ideally we're looking for a circuit where we could hit a few various inns over the course of a pretty quick trip.
Hiking inn-to-inn in Swiss Alps without a guide. Where to start looking?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 How much luggage?????
- 2 Think twice before booking a trip with Grand Circle.
- 3 eateries in Puglia
- 4 Terrorism in Europe
- 5 Bringing Wine Home From France
- 6 Best area to stay in Dublin for someone in a wheelchair
- 7 Help with France itinerary
- 8 Swiss Air seat assignments
- 9 Castles, Palaces and Caves-9 Days in Puglia and Basilicata
- 10 Paris: for a family with children, Saint Germain or Le Marais?
- 11 London GTG late September?
- 12 Credit Card Number stolen from hotel booking
- 13 Avis De Contravention (speeding ticket) dispute/appeal?
- 14 Driving St. Bernard Pass going from Venice to Tasch
- 15 Any last things i might need to know for our trip??
- 16 Tips on renting a car in Oxford
- 17 Brussels / 2 nights / looking for insider tips
- 18 Iceland hostel recommendations on Ring Road
- 19 Hotels in Madrid Spain
- 20 Rose Petals and Reflections
- 21 Advice for returning rental car to Florence airport
- 22 Question for those who have traveled to Portugal
- 23 7 days in London in Dec with family
- 24 Jamikins and Bikerscott Head Back to Le Marche
- 25 What will happen if I do not pay the penalty of ATAF bus in Florence