My wife and I are interesting in arranging a hiking trip this summer in the Swiss Alps. Ideally we'd like to hike from inn-to-inn during the day. And we'd prefer to do this by ourselves (no guide), although we'd love to somehow figure out a way to send our luggage in a car while we hiked.
So Fodorites....is there a good place to start focusing my efforts? A string of Alpine huts or perhaps a good town to start from?
Two years ago in Italy we encountered a German couple that was doing a similar thing in Italy. They had arranged with a company to transport their luggage when they went hiking, so it would be waiting for them at the hotel when they arrived. They told us this was common in Europe, and to us it looked like an awesome trip.
An outfit that could enable us to easily make this happen? We're not looking for an all-inclusive trip. We're hoping to rent these inns ourselves and just hike at our own pace. We're both in excellent shape, and grew up deep in the Rockies so we are very comfortable in the mountains. We're pretty flexible on price, so we would consider pricey and cheap accommodations.
This is for a 10 day trip (including travel from NYC), so ideally we're looking for a circuit where we could hit a few various inns over the course of a pretty quick trip.
Hiking inn-to-inn in Swiss Alps without a guide. Where to start looking?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris Accomodation, Which District
- 2 Euro Travel Quiz # 41 - Food for Thought!
- 3 Tight Transfer at Gatwick
- 4 Is Heathrow or Gatwick best to use for going to London?
- 5 Renting an apt.
- 6 Brussels/Bruges and Berlin in April
- 7 Northern Italy Planner's Block -- Help!
- 8 Best london location to stay?
- 9 14 days in Russia, please help choose day trip out of Moscow/St. Petersburg
- 10 Using magnetic-strip ATM card to withdraw cash from Eurozone ATM
- 11 A guide to Madrid
- 12 Chip + Pin Credit Card
- 13 Italy/France Itinerary - What do You Think?
- 14 Affordable language lessons/homestays in France?
- 15 VIGO, SPAIN
- 16 Looking for an agriturismo in Val d'Orcia area
- 17 Best place to base in Côte d'Azûr
- 18 Potential trip - Balkans
- 19 Scotland and northern England
- 20 Things to do round Potes, Picos de Europa
- 21 Summer Interrupted; Christmas in Germany & Switzerland
- 22 Help me plan an unforgettable London/Paris trip...for my 5 year old
- 23 Bus Croatia
- 24 Chilling in Iceland (but not yet).
- 25 April in Madrid