My wife and I are interesting in arranging a hiking trip this summer in the Swiss Alps. Ideally we'd like to hike from inn-to-inn during the day. And we'd prefer to do this by ourselves (no guide), although we'd love to somehow figure out a way to send our luggage in a car while we hiked.
So Fodorites....is there a good place to start focusing my efforts? A string of Alpine huts or perhaps a good town to start from?
Two years ago in Italy we encountered a German couple that was doing a similar thing in Italy. They had arranged with a company to transport their luggage when they went hiking, so it would be waiting for them at the hotel when they arrived. They told us this was common in Europe, and to us it looked like an awesome trip.
An outfit that could enable us to easily make this happen? We're not looking for an all-inclusive trip. We're hoping to rent these inns ourselves and just hike at our own pace. We're both in excellent shape, and grew up deep in the Rockies so we are very comfortable in the mountains. We're pretty flexible on price, so we would consider pricey and cheap accommodations.
This is for a 10 day trip (including travel from NYC), so ideally we're looking for a circuit where we could hit a few various inns over the course of a pretty quick trip.
Hiking inn-to-inn in Swiss Alps without a guide. Where to start looking?
- 1 London for Christmas
- 2 Russian Tour Operators for Independent Travelers
- 3 5 days in Granada - Seville?
- 4 Istanbul hotels
- 5 French café offers discounts to customers who remember their "Bonjour"
- 6 Chambermaid tipping
- 7 First time Golfing in Ireland
- 8 Albania for Beginners
- 9 1st time to Italy...Cinque Terre, Florence and which Tuscan hill town?
- 10 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome
- 11 Our 'trip of a lifetime'in Europe - trip report
- 12 Budget (or at least Somewhat Inexpensive) Lodging in Bologna
- 13 south eastern europe by train and walking
- 14 London Theater/re: "Pure Nonsense"? or what?
- 15 Home from Rome - a trip report
- 16 10 Summer days in Spain: Barcelona alone or Madrid too?
- 17 Family European winter holiday
- 18 November Solo Madness in Ireland 2013!
- 19 TROMSO - 70 years old
- 20 Gate 1 9 day Enchanted Italy
- 21 Day Trips from Florence: Tours or On Our Own???
- 22 7 days in Italy over Christmas - transportation and itinerary suggestion?
- 23 River Cruise from Moscow to St. Petersburg
- 24 17 Days Route from Amsterdam to Zurich
- 25 Travelling with Alitalia. MIA-FCO-AOI Carry-on or Check-in baggage?