My wife and I are interesting in arranging a hiking trip this summer in the Swiss Alps. Ideally we'd like to hike from inn-to-inn during the day. And we'd prefer to do this by ourselves (no guide), although we'd love to somehow figure out a way to send our luggage in a car while we hiked.
So Fodorites....is there a good place to start focusing my efforts? A string of Alpine huts or perhaps a good town to start from?
Two years ago in Italy we encountered a German couple that was doing a similar thing in Italy. They had arranged with a company to transport their luggage when they went hiking, so it would be waiting for them at the hotel when they arrived. They told us this was common in Europe, and to us it looked like an awesome trip.
An outfit that could enable us to easily make this happen? We're not looking for an all-inclusive trip. We're hoping to rent these inns ourselves and just hike at our own pace. We're both in excellent shape, and grew up deep in the Rockies so we are very comfortable in the mountains. We're pretty flexible on price, so we would consider pricey and cheap accommodations.
This is for a 10 day trip (including travel from NYC), so ideally we're looking for a circuit where we could hit a few various inns over the course of a pretty quick trip.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Visa for one Schengen Country, and traveling with EU spouse and children
- 2 Bologna, Florence, Venice 5 days
- 3 The Princess Diaries: My Three Week Odyssey In Poland And Romania
- 4 Planning a self drive tour of the uk next april
- 5 First time in France
- 6 Thoughts on an unusual itinerary for Northern Spain please
- 7 20 days in Great Britain - Self Drive Itinerary Ideas
- 8 Our week in Scotland—“againn san t-seachdain ann an Alba”
- 9 Prague hotels
- 10 London - Apartment Rental companies
- 11 Munich
- 12 Puglia or La Langhe
- 13 What to expect over Christmas
- 14 14 days in Greece itinerary ???
- 15 English Countryside
- 16 Manchester Christmas Markets 2016
- 17 Getting from Ljubljana to Plitvice Lakes
- 18 Britain's contactless public transport revolution moves to Oxford
- 19 Are you looking Benefits Webdesign Hull?
- 20 did anyone familiar with p-airbus for airport transportation?
- 21 Italy/Greece with kids
- 22 Rome
- 23 Europe in the Winter for a week
- 24 Need help in travel planning
- 25 How beautiful is Lisbon compared to other european ciites?
Hiking inn-to-inn in Swiss Alps without a guide. Where to start looking?