My wife and I are interesting in arranging a hiking trip this summer in the Swiss Alps. Ideally we'd like to hike from inn-to-inn during the day. And we'd prefer to do this by ourselves (no guide), although we'd love to somehow figure out a way to send our luggage in a car while we hiked.
So Fodorites....is there a good place to start focusing my efforts? A string of Alpine huts or perhaps a good town to start from?
Two years ago in Italy we encountered a German couple that was doing a similar thing in Italy. They had arranged with a company to transport their luggage when they went hiking, so it would be waiting for them at the hotel when they arrived. They told us this was common in Europe, and to us it looked like an awesome trip.
An outfit that could enable us to easily make this happen? We're not looking for an all-inclusive trip. We're hoping to rent these inns ourselves and just hike at our own pace. We're both in excellent shape, and grew up deep in the Rockies so we are very comfortable in the mountains. We're pretty flexible on price, so we would consider pricey and cheap accommodations.
This is for a 10 day trip (including travel from NYC), so ideally we're looking for a circuit where we could hit a few various inns over the course of a pretty quick trip.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Trek through Eur
- 2 Italy Sept 26-Oct 6 2017
- 3 Paris hotels
- 4 Europe itinerary questions
- 5 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 6 London Hotels
- 7 Flying into Copenhagen (1st trip to Europe)
- 8 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 9 Denmark or Sweden?
- 10 We're here!
- 11 After Beaune, need suggestions for the next 10 days
- 12 Has anyone rented from Allinclusive! Rent a Car ?
- 13 Norway, Sweden, Denmark
- 14 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 15 Car Rental in France (Insurance + Add'l Driver Questions?)
- 16 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 17 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 18 Amsterdam hotels
- 19 From Portugal to the Pyrenees and onto Paris
- 20 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 21 Which airport for Bellagio?
- 22 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 23 Where to weekend away from Frankfurt
- 24 Brugge hotel help
- 25 Five night Ireland Trip
Hiking inn-to-inn in Swiss Alps without a guide. Where to start looking?