My wife and I are interesting in arranging a hiking trip this summer in the Swiss Alps. Ideally we'd like to hike from inn-to-inn during the day. And we'd prefer to do this by ourselves (no guide), although we'd love to somehow figure out a way to send our luggage in a car while we hiked.
So Fodorites....is there a good place to start focusing my efforts? A string of Alpine huts or perhaps a good town to start from?
Two years ago in Italy we encountered a German couple that was doing a similar thing in Italy. They had arranged with a company to transport their luggage when they went hiking, so it would be waiting for them at the hotel when they arrived. They told us this was common in Europe, and to us it looked like an awesome trip.
An outfit that could enable us to easily make this happen? We're not looking for an all-inclusive trip. We're hoping to rent these inns ourselves and just hike at our own pace. We're both in excellent shape, and grew up deep in the Rockies so we are very comfortable in the mountains. We're pretty flexible on price, so we would consider pricey and cheap accommodations.
This is for a 10 day trip (including travel from NYC), so ideally we're looking for a circuit where we could hit a few various inns over the course of a pretty quick trip.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Questions about Italy again
- 2 Spain schedule - reality check please.
- 3 Paris Apartment
- 4 April in Paris...with a Side of Bordeaux
- 5 GPS vs Google Maps
- 6 Who Tips In Paris Cafes and How Much?
- 7 2 weeks in Southern Italy
- 8 Question about Hostels in Europe during the summer
- 9 Four weeks in the UK: Critique my itinerary?
- 10 Uber in Paris: OK now ?
- 11 Top Tourist Mob Scenes in Europe
- 12 Bavaria in August
- 13 Austria czech republic itinerary
- 14 Amsterdam hotel with a canal view
- 15 One week in Sicily - Taormina, Ortigia, Agrigento & Palermo
- 16 Have You Ever Been Robbed in Europe?
- 17 Wanted: Clever Travel Tips!
- 18 Driving Tour - Bari to Bologna
- 19 Train Question
- 20 What clothes?
- 21 Rome & Florence, 10-12 days or so
- 22 Requesting Suggestions for Venice
- 23 Advice for Florence & Rome with Baby
- 24 Florence and Siena Restaurants
- 25 Short trip to Athens and Santorini. Ideas welcomed
Hiking inn-to-inn in Swiss Alps without a guide. Where to start looking?