My wife and I are interesting in arranging a hiking trip this summer in the Swiss Alps. Ideally we'd like to hike from inn-to-inn during the day. And we'd prefer to do this by ourselves (no guide), although we'd love to somehow figure out a way to send our luggage in a car while we hiked.
So Fodorites....is there a good place to start focusing my efforts? A string of Alpine huts or perhaps a good town to start from?
Two years ago in Italy we encountered a German couple that was doing a similar thing in Italy. They had arranged with a company to transport their luggage when they went hiking, so it would be waiting for them at the hotel when they arrived. They told us this was common in Europe, and to us it looked like an awesome trip.
An outfit that could enable us to easily make this happen? We're not looking for an all-inclusive trip. We're hoping to rent these inns ourselves and just hike at our own pace. We're both in excellent shape, and grew up deep in the Rockies so we are very comfortable in the mountains. We're pretty flexible on price, so we would consider pricey and cheap accommodations.
This is for a 10 day trip (including travel from NYC), so ideally we're looking for a circuit where we could hit a few various inns over the course of a pretty quick trip.
Hiking inn-to-inn in Swiss Alps without a guide. Where to start looking?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 non-touristy in Umbria or Tuscany?
- 2 Barcelona and Italy itinerary...hotels all set, need help w some details
- 3 plug adaptors for Switzerland
- 4 London and Where Else in late December?
- 5 Couples trip- 18 nights-Itinerary Help
- 6 Amsterdam / Belgium Itinerary
- 7 First ever trip overseas - itinerary check
- 8 Electronic plug adapter for Italy
- 9 What can we do with 4 hours in Paris layover
- 10 Ireland Southwest
- 11 Barcelona Airport to Las Ramblas / recommended transportation??
- 12 Luggage on train from Waterloo to Southampton
- 13 Planning for Italy trip with a two-year old
- 14 Matisse at Tate
- 15 Venice to Dolomites then Tuscany? Need itinerary advice
- 16 Teaching English in Europe or Asia
- 17 3 weeks in Europe
- 18 Suggested Itinerary and ideas for South of France road tour?
- 19 How much time did -you- spend in Delphi and Olympia?
- 20 Bologna airport to train to Florence
- 21 Small Group walking tour Switzerland
- 22 Andaluzia - where to stay in Seville and Malaga?
- 23 Istanbul Itinerary
- 24 Germany and Poland Itinerary - Would appreciate feedback
- 25 Bologna tips