My wife and I are interesting in arranging a hiking trip this summer in the Swiss Alps. Ideally we'd like to hike from inn-to-inn during the day. And we'd prefer to do this by ourselves (no guide), although we'd love to somehow figure out a way to send our luggage in a car while we hiked.
So Fodorites....is there a good place to start focusing my efforts? A string of Alpine huts or perhaps a good town to start from?
Two years ago in Italy we encountered a German couple that was doing a similar thing in Italy. They had arranged with a company to transport their luggage when they went hiking, so it would be waiting for them at the hotel when they arrived. They told us this was common in Europe, and to us it looked like an awesome trip.
An outfit that could enable us to easily make this happen? We're not looking for an all-inclusive trip. We're hoping to rent these inns ourselves and just hike at our own pace. We're both in excellent shape, and grew up deep in the Rockies so we are very comfortable in the mountains. We're pretty flexible on price, so we would consider pricey and cheap accommodations.
This is for a 10 day trip (including travel from NYC), so ideally we're looking for a circuit where we could hit a few various inns over the course of a pretty quick trip.
Hiking inn-to-inn in Swiss Alps without a guide. Where to start looking?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Fine-tuning a 30 day stay in Switzerland June 2014
- 2 Berner Oberland for 3 days over Thanksgiving
- 3 Which lake to visit in Italy
- 4 Venice - visiting the Arsenal.
- 5 Must see in Dubrovnik
- 6 Interesting markets to visit in Paris
- 7 A little help needed for Dordogne area
- 8 What to wear
- 9 Day trip to Rothenberg from Munich
- 10 what to bring to Finland - gifts from California
- 11 Fashion for larger man?
- 12 Best website to book tickets for Uffizi Gallery Florence
- 13 travel from Edinburgh to Paris
- 14 Day trip to Northern Italy Suggestions
- 15 Two weeks in Paris ... how to fill?
- 16 Connecting with forum locals in Paris
- 17 Our Spain Adventure -- Cordoba, Seville, Granada and Barcelona! (Part One)
- 18 Croatia: Advice on 6 day itinery
- 19 Tipping in Turkey ...and Europe
- 20 London 2nd time around
- 21 Overnight bus from Cappadocia to Pamukkale
- 22 Traveling in France by train
- 23 Trip report:Vienna,Graz,Lake district,Salzburg,Wachau,Prague,Munich.
- 24 CRETE - Rethymnon area or Chania area ??
- 25 Athens-Paros-Santorini Trip Itinerary