My wife and I are interesting in arranging a hiking trip this summer in the Swiss Alps. Ideally we'd like to hike from inn-to-inn during the day. And we'd prefer to do this by ourselves (no guide), although we'd love to somehow figure out a way to send our luggage in a car while we hiked.
So Fodorites....is there a good place to start focusing my efforts? A string of Alpine huts or perhaps a good town to start from?
Two years ago in Italy we encountered a German couple that was doing a similar thing in Italy. They had arranged with a company to transport their luggage when they went hiking, so it would be waiting for them at the hotel when they arrived. They told us this was common in Europe, and to us it looked like an awesome trip.
An outfit that could enable us to easily make this happen? We're not looking for an all-inclusive trip. We're hoping to rent these inns ourselves and just hike at our own pace. We're both in excellent shape, and grew up deep in the Rockies so we are very comfortable in the mountains. We're pretty flexible on price, so we would consider pricey and cheap accommodations.
This is for a 10 day trip (including travel from NYC), so ideally we're looking for a circuit where we could hit a few various inns over the course of a pretty quick trip.
Hiking inn-to-inn in Swiss Alps without a guide. Where to start looking?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Getting to London Gatwick or London Luton Airports from Heathrow?
- 2 Advice on itinerary - Balestrand, Ulvik, Flam?
- 3 Segovia or Toledo day trip
- 4 Looking for Decent Beach near Marseille, France
- 5 Visiting the winemakers in Portugal
- 6 From Dingle to Dublin?
- 7 What to do in England, Wales and Scotland?
- 8 How can I use my Telus iPhone in Europe?
- 9 Trip Report: My Encounter With the Italian Hospital System
- 10 1 Night Paris before Eurostar - Where to stay
- 11 Piazza Navona hotel in Rome help
- 12 Croatia and Montenegro for 8 days
- 13 What do you think of this itinerary?
- 14 Hotel Royal St Honore - Paris in August
- 15 Staying in the Highlands
- 16 Taking a perscribed controlled substance to Germany.
- 17 17 days in Spain, best itinerary?
- 18 Road Trip Part 1...............Madrid To Lisbon by Auto
- 19 Train tickets France and Spain
- 20 Basel Customs - Forgotten Pasport: photocopy suffice?
- 21 Madrid...where for evening stroll on first night?
- 22 Hydra to Peloponnese to Zakynthos...a few questions
- 23 Izmir or Bodrum in July?
- 24 Mt. Nemrut - Kahta side - in April ???
- 25 Advice on Turkey Itinerary