My wife and I are interesting in arranging a hiking trip this summer in the Swiss Alps. Ideally we'd like to hike from inn-to-inn during the day. And we'd prefer to do this by ourselves (no guide), although we'd love to somehow figure out a way to send our luggage in a car while we hiked.
So Fodorites....is there a good place to start focusing my efforts? A string of Alpine huts or perhaps a good town to start from?
Two years ago in Italy we encountered a German couple that was doing a similar thing in Italy. They had arranged with a company to transport their luggage when they went hiking, so it would be waiting for them at the hotel when they arrived. They told us this was common in Europe, and to us it looked like an awesome trip.
An outfit that could enable us to easily make this happen? We're not looking for an all-inclusive trip. We're hoping to rent these inns ourselves and just hike at our own pace. We're both in excellent shape, and grew up deep in the Rockies so we are very comfortable in the mountains. We're pretty flexible on price, so we would consider pricey and cheap accommodations.
This is for a 10 day trip (including travel from NYC), so ideally we're looking for a circuit where we could hit a few various inns over the course of a pretty quick trip.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 http://freecracksunlimited.com/poweriso-crack-full/
- 2 Avoid Viking River Cruises
- 3 Southern Italy
- 4 transfer from Civitavecchia to Fiumicino airport
- 5 Paris, the Bernese Oberland, and Bavaria with 2 kids
- 6 Favorite restaurants in Paris
- 7 French Gov't Passes New Labor Law Despite...
- 8 European Travel in March
- 9 Germany, May'16: Four seasons in three weeks.
- 10 Europe itinerary
- 11 Four favorite things to do in Paris during the Christmas holidays
- 12 Iceland in 4 days?
- 13 Tuscan Winery Suggestions
- 14 Sept Help Needed Hotels & Timing: Budapest, Prague, Berlin, Amsterdam
- 15 Day in Dublin with Private Guide
- 16 Favorite restaurants in Barcelona, Seville, Granada, San Sebastian
- 17 Favorite restaurants in Amsterdam
- 18 Madrid city centre?
- 19 Barcelona extension
- 20 Ireland driving itinerary
- 21 Slovania & Croatia
- 22 Barcelona Car rental return
- 23 Help needed for Netherlands itinerary please
- 24 Manchester on derby weekend
- 25 BIKE AND BARGE
Hiking inn-to-inn in Swiss Alps without a guide. Where to start looking?