My wife and I are interesting in arranging a hiking trip this summer in the Swiss Alps. Ideally we'd like to hike from inn-to-inn during the day. And we'd prefer to do this by ourselves (no guide), although we'd love to somehow figure out a way to send our luggage in a car while we hiked.
So Fodorites....is there a good place to start focusing my efforts? A string of Alpine huts or perhaps a good town to start from?
Two years ago in Italy we encountered a German couple that was doing a similar thing in Italy. They had arranged with a company to transport their luggage when they went hiking, so it would be waiting for them at the hotel when they arrived. They told us this was common in Europe, and to us it looked like an awesome trip.
An outfit that could enable us to easily make this happen? We're not looking for an all-inclusive trip. We're hoping to rent these inns ourselves and just hike at our own pace. We're both in excellent shape, and grew up deep in the Rockies so we are very comfortable in the mountains. We're pretty flexible on price, so we would consider pricey and cheap accommodations.
This is for a 10 day trip (including travel from NYC), so ideally we're looking for a circuit where we could hit a few various inns over the course of a pretty quick trip.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Italy on the Cheap (Mostly), May 2015
- 2 Final Itinerary help
- 3 Espagne, Olé! Ancient to modern, through Andalucia, Toledo and Madrid
- 4 Euro Quiz # 107 - Potpourri!
- 5 Rhodes and then where in Greece?
- 6 Where to buy Saffron?
- 7 Paris in the Heat - Packing
- 8 my current itinerary for future trip
- 9 Spain and Portugal in Depth
- 10 Bicycling in Tuscany - First Visit
- 11 Your thoughts on day trips out of Venice
- 12 A road trip to Florence
- 13 Barcelona San Pau Apartment
- 14 ASADOR EXTEBARRI..and assorted related topics..questions..
- 15 Advice on Portugal for August honeymoon please
- 16 Help on September Trip to Spain
- 17 vegetarian friendly and kids friendly restaurents in venice and rome
- 18 Amsterdam Internet cafe to print boarding pass
- 19 wandering in venice
- 20 The Best hotel in Caen please !
- 21 Illegal vacation apts. in Paris
- 22 Lack of diversity? Venice/Florence/Rome
- 23 8 Day trip to Swiss and France
- 24 Need help in deciding itinerary to visit places around Lucerne
- 25 Switzerland 5 days
Hiking inn-to-inn in Swiss Alps without a guide. Where to start looking?