My wife and I are interesting in arranging a hiking trip this summer in the Swiss Alps. Ideally we'd like to hike from inn-to-inn during the day. And we'd prefer to do this by ourselves (no guide), although we'd love to somehow figure out a way to send our luggage in a car while we hiked.
So Fodorites....is there a good place to start focusing my efforts? A string of Alpine huts or perhaps a good town to start from?
Two years ago in Italy we encountered a German couple that was doing a similar thing in Italy. They had arranged with a company to transport their luggage when they went hiking, so it would be waiting for them at the hotel when they arrived. They told us this was common in Europe, and to us it looked like an awesome trip.
An outfit that could enable us to easily make this happen? We're not looking for an all-inclusive trip. We're hoping to rent these inns ourselves and just hike at our own pace. We're both in excellent shape, and grew up deep in the Rockies so we are very comfortable in the mountains. We're pretty flexible on price, so we would consider pricey and cheap accommodations.
This is for a 10 day trip (including travel from NYC), so ideally we're looking for a circuit where we could hit a few various inns over the course of a pretty quick trip.
Hiking inn-to-inn in Swiss Alps without a guide. Where to start looking?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Bike touring in France
- 2 Paris with kids - a whirlwind even with 9 days!
- 3 I give up!!! Need some itinerary help please!!
- 4 Spanish food online
- 5 NW Portugal - Moncao Minho
- 6 Lauterbrunnen area (with baby)
- 7 One month in Puglia and Matera
- 8 Music, Hippos, Alchemists and More: A Berlin/Prague Trip Report
- 9 Help with Central/ Eastern Europe
- 10 Transport advise- Rome - Florence - Berlin - Copenhagen
- 11 5 Night Suggested Itinerary - South Iceland/Reykjavik
- 12 Good Flamenco in Seville
- 13 Stay away from EF Tours
- 14 Folegandros info?
- 15 Venice (Somewhere) and Trieste (Nowhere)—With a Bit of Slovenia In Between
- 16 Dress Code for the Vatican
- 17 Guesthouses in Dublin
- 18 Lake Como in October- when does season change
- 19 Scotland - 1 week itinerary
- 20 Cell Phones in France & Spain
- 21 One Town on the Amalfi Coast
- 22 Amalfi Coast vs Greece
- 23 Greek Itinerary advice needed, please.
- 24 Italy Trip: Another Scrap With Friction
- 25 I went to Paris in June