My wife and I are interesting in arranging a hiking trip this summer in the Swiss Alps. Ideally we'd like to hike from inn-to-inn during the day. And we'd prefer to do this by ourselves (no guide), although we'd love to somehow figure out a way to send our luggage in a car while we hiked.
So Fodorites....is there a good place to start focusing my efforts? A string of Alpine huts or perhaps a good town to start from?
Two years ago in Italy we encountered a German couple that was doing a similar thing in Italy. They had arranged with a company to transport their luggage when they went hiking, so it would be waiting for them at the hotel when they arrived. They told us this was common in Europe, and to us it looked like an awesome trip.
An outfit that could enable us to easily make this happen? We're not looking for an all-inclusive trip. We're hoping to rent these inns ourselves and just hike at our own pace. We're both in excellent shape, and grew up deep in the Rockies so we are very comfortable in the mountains. We're pretty flexible on price, so we would consider pricey and cheap accommodations.
This is for a 10 day trip (including travel from NYC), so ideally we're looking for a circuit where we could hit a few various inns over the course of a pretty quick trip.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 The nieces take Bruce and Marija to Paris, Venice and London
- 2 Ireland driving itinerary
- 3 France to stop making foie grois
- 4 Greece Itinerary
- 5 Germany and Austria trip report
- 6 From London to Paris to US
- 7 Leipzig, Dresden, Meissen, Bautzen, etc.
- 8 http://www.healthcare24by7.org/muscle-xtx-and-xtrcut/
- 9 Paris Museum Pass and Skip the Line
- 10 Venice, Maggiore, Jungfrau
- 11 Passport question - carry with or leave at hotel?
- 12 Day Trip from Lausanne
- 13 Nice village, good restaurant, between Bologna and Florence?
- 14 How can I ship my clothes to me in France...
- 15 Puglia
- 16 My greece vacation
- 17 Rome & Florence, 10-12 days or so
- 18 3 week Italy trip with 12 and 14 year old - 2017
- 19 Sevilla to Cordoba Day Trip: How many hours needed?
- 20 Naples or Genoa
- 21 Need Barcelona Gaudi Ticket Help
- 22 Greece Experts
- 23 Rome to Positano
- 24 Itinerary help please!
- 25 How did you or your family ended up in the country you are living now?
Hiking inn-to-inn in Swiss Alps without a guide. Where to start looking?