My wife and I are interesting in arranging a hiking trip this summer in the Swiss Alps. Ideally we'd like to hike from inn-to-inn during the day. And we'd prefer to do this by ourselves (no guide), although we'd love to somehow figure out a way to send our luggage in a car while we hiked.
So Fodorites....is there a good place to start focusing my efforts? A string of Alpine huts or perhaps a good town to start from?
Two years ago in Italy we encountered a German couple that was doing a similar thing in Italy. They had arranged with a company to transport their luggage when they went hiking, so it would be waiting for them at the hotel when they arrived. They told us this was common in Europe, and to us it looked like an awesome trip.
An outfit that could enable us to easily make this happen? We're not looking for an all-inclusive trip. We're hoping to rent these inns ourselves and just hike at our own pace. We're both in excellent shape, and grew up deep in the Rockies so we are very comfortable in the mountains. We're pretty flexible on price, so we would consider pricey and cheap accommodations.
This is for a 10 day trip (including travel from NYC), so ideally we're looking for a circuit where we could hit a few various inns over the course of a pretty quick trip.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 2 3 weeks in Scotland and Germany?
- 3 Provence Hotel and Flights
- 4 Language to use in Belgium
- 5 Base for hiking in Lower Engadine
- 6 London, you are my number one now (replacing Paris)
- 7 Looking for recommendation for lodging in NAXOS, GREECE
- 8 Really true that US passport needs 6 months left to enter Schengen zone?
- 9 14 days from Frankfurt to Paris by train
- 10 When to purchase high speed train tickets?
- 11 Driving itinerary, feedback wanted
- 12 Whistle stop family road trip
- 13 Cab cost from Tegel/ Germany/ to Charlottenstrasse
- 14 The DCC scam is spreading
- 15 ATM by Budapest Nuygati TS
- 16 Amalfi Coast/Sorrento-which town?
- 17 Best hotel other than Sirenuse in Positano for honeymoon?
- 18 Weather and clothes in Sakzkammergut in August
- 19 Naxos experts - pros and cons of Kymata vs. Agios Prokopios Hotel
- 20 Jamikins and Bikerscott do Le Marche (Again)
- 21 Vienna to Budapest via Bratislava stopover
- 22 Lake Como,Italy
- 23 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 24 Andalucia Spain
- 25 First trip to Paris! (and Amsterdam)
Hiking inn-to-inn in Swiss Alps without a guide. Where to start looking?