My wife and I are interesting in arranging a hiking trip this summer in the Swiss Alps. Ideally we'd like to hike from inn-to-inn during the day. And we'd prefer to do this by ourselves (no guide), although we'd love to somehow figure out a way to send our luggage in a car while we hiked.
So Fodorites....is there a good place to start focusing my efforts? A string of Alpine huts or perhaps a good town to start from?
Two years ago in Italy we encountered a German couple that was doing a similar thing in Italy. They had arranged with a company to transport their luggage when they went hiking, so it would be waiting for them at the hotel when they arrived. They told us this was common in Europe, and to us it looked like an awesome trip.
An outfit that could enable us to easily make this happen? We're not looking for an all-inclusive trip. We're hoping to rent these inns ourselves and just hike at our own pace. We're both in excellent shape, and grew up deep in the Rockies so we are very comfortable in the mountains. We're pretty flexible on price, so we would consider pricey and cheap accommodations.
This is for a 10 day trip (including travel from NYC), so ideally we're looking for a circuit where we could hit a few various inns over the course of a pretty quick trip.
Hiking inn-to-inn in Swiss Alps without a guide. Where to start looking?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Spain tips beyond safety
- 2 Lake Como 3 Stretch and 7 Stretch Ferry Tickets
- 3 T-Mobile International Roaming in Europe: a Trip Report
- 4 Is Naxos worthwhile if not planning to spend time on the beach?
- 5 American electrical gadgets
- 6 Eating in France-two new books
- 7 Germany A'dam Belgium Itinerary Help
- 8 seven days in Portugal
- 9 Ten days in Portugal - what are your favorites?
- 10 I need a haircut
- 11 Day trip to Chartres -mini questions
- 12 What to wear
- 13 Interesting markets to visit in Paris
- 14 Croatia: Advice on 6 day itinery
- 15 London neighborhood suggestions
- 16 3 weeks France + north Italy itinerary
- 17 1 week in Croatia
- 18 50 and Fabulous in 2015---need help planning my trip to Amalfi, FINALLY
- 19 High Level 12 day Itinerary for Turkey; Mountain Lovers and Photographer
- 20 Connecting with forum locals in Paris
- 21 german rail ticket question
- 22 How much will a budget to Europe be for 2 months?
- 23 Where to buy Venice mask?
- 24 Flying in and out of Zurich - stay there the entire time?
- 25 What to see along the Welsh coast?