My wife and I are interesting in arranging a hiking trip this summer in the Swiss Alps. Ideally we'd like to hike from inn-to-inn during the day. And we'd prefer to do this by ourselves (no guide), although we'd love to somehow figure out a way to send our luggage in a car while we hiked.
So Fodorites....is there a good place to start focusing my efforts? A string of Alpine huts or perhaps a good town to start from?
Two years ago in Italy we encountered a German couple that was doing a similar thing in Italy. They had arranged with a company to transport their luggage when they went hiking, so it would be waiting for them at the hotel when they arrived. They told us this was common in Europe, and to us it looked like an awesome trip.
An outfit that could enable us to easily make this happen? We're not looking for an all-inclusive trip. We're hoping to rent these inns ourselves and just hike at our own pace. We're both in excellent shape, and grew up deep in the Rockies so we are very comfortable in the mountains. We're pretty flexible on price, so we would consider pricey and cheap accommodations.
This is for a 10 day trip (including travel from NYC), so ideally we're looking for a circuit where we could hit a few various inns over the course of a pretty quick trip.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Car Rental in Italy: Insurance Needed/Suggested
- 2 Venice to Frankfort - via Switzerland?
- 3 Shopping Paris for Teenage Girl
- 4 Budapest/Krakow/Warsaw
- 5 Happy accidents ,undiscovered gems -London, Paris
- 6 Sardinia, Italy
- 7 Off to Ireland again! Solo trip...
- 8 Travel Pass Suggestion
- 9 Italy Countryside Itinerary help
- 10 Tuscany: Which town(s) to stay in if main priorities are wine & food?
- 11 when you consider that it swivels
- 12 London - Lakes - Hadrian - Traquair and more...
- 13 Is a canal pass and museum entry worth buying ahead of visit?
- 14 Lisbon Airport - A Huge Mess
- 15 8 days in Madrid/Sevilla/Granada
- 16 Easiest way to send photo eq. to the hotel
- 17 itinerary help for 14 days on Sicily
- 18 Are 9 Days Too Much for the Dordogne?
- 19 Tipping for private van/bus driver in Ireland?
- 20 5 Ladies, 4 Destinations and 1 Month
- 21 honeymoon in november
- 22 enlighten, brightens and
- 23 Amsterdam in August
- 24 Is Heathrow or Gatwick best to use for going to London?
- 25 Train from Rome to Naples
Hiking inn-to-inn in Swiss Alps without a guide. Where to start looking?