My wife and I are interesting in arranging a hiking trip this summer in the Swiss Alps. Ideally we'd like to hike from inn-to-inn during the day. And we'd prefer to do this by ourselves (no guide), although we'd love to somehow figure out a way to send our luggage in a car while we hiked.
So Fodorites....is there a good place to start focusing my efforts? A string of Alpine huts or perhaps a good town to start from?
Two years ago in Italy we encountered a German couple that was doing a similar thing in Italy. They had arranged with a company to transport their luggage when they went hiking, so it would be waiting for them at the hotel when they arrived. They told us this was common in Europe, and to us it looked like an awesome trip.
An outfit that could enable us to easily make this happen? We're not looking for an all-inclusive trip. We're hoping to rent these inns ourselves and just hike at our own pace. We're both in excellent shape, and grew up deep in the Rockies so we are very comfortable in the mountains. We're pretty flexible on price, so we would consider pricey and cheap accommodations.
This is for a 10 day trip (including travel from NYC), so ideally we're looking for a circuit where we could hit a few various inns over the course of a pretty quick trip.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 railfrom amstedam to reims fr
- 2 Lost in venice
- 3 First EuroTrip decision/planning help
- 4 Backpacking Europe with my Bestfriend (18yo f)
- 5 Is it really 100 degrees F. in Paris???
- 6 Where to stay between Galway & Killarney
- 7 Interlaken, hotel and day hikes
- 8 Interesting new site in Utrecht
- 9 Barcelona Itinerary
- 10 Bath or Exeter
- 11 Barcelona Barcelona where have you been all my life! Days 1 and 2
- 12 Munich to Milan via train
- 13 Pegontheroad in eastern Europe
- 14 Hotels in Barcelona
- 15 Need help with Switzerland and Italy iterinary
- 16 Interlaken vs. Lucern vs. Zurich
- 17 Germany Itinerary suggestions please
- 18 Self-driving in Iceland
- 19 Obtaining Swiss francs in Switzerland
- 20 Metro tickets in Paris
- 21 Slovenia & Croatia itinerary help
- 22 Is my itinerary the Best of Switzerland?
- 23 Peloponnese
- 24 Trip Report: Eight Days in Amsterdam and Belgium
- 25 short trip klon to koblenz
Hiking inn-to-inn in Swiss Alps without a guide. Where to start looking?