My wife and I are interesting in arranging a hiking trip this summer in the Swiss Alps. Ideally we'd like to hike from inn-to-inn during the day. And we'd prefer to do this by ourselves (no guide), although we'd love to somehow figure out a way to send our luggage in a car while we hiked.
So Fodorites....is there a good place to start focusing my efforts? A string of Alpine huts or perhaps a good town to start from?
Two years ago in Italy we encountered a German couple that was doing a similar thing in Italy. They had arranged with a company to transport their luggage when they went hiking, so it would be waiting for them at the hotel when they arrived. They told us this was common in Europe, and to us it looked like an awesome trip.
An outfit that could enable us to easily make this happen? We're not looking for an all-inclusive trip. We're hoping to rent these inns ourselves and just hike at our own pace. We're both in excellent shape, and grew up deep in the Rockies so we are very comfortable in the mountains. We're pretty flexible on price, so we would consider pricey and cheap accommodations.
This is for a 10 day trip (including travel from NYC), so ideally we're looking for a circuit where we could hit a few various inns over the course of a pretty quick trip.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Ian McKellen & Patrick Stewart in No Man's Land
- 2 Paris, the Bernese Oberland, and Bavaria with 2 kids
- 3 Les bons plans de Whathello
- 4 Day Trip from Lausanne
- 5 France 2016: Paris--Avignon--Provence--Nice
- 6 French Gov't Passes New Labor Law Despite...
- 7 England in a week - what's realistic
- 8 Restaurants and sights in Puglia
- 9 Avoid Viking River Cruises
- 10 Visiting St. Mark's Basilica in Venice
- 11 Enjoying England for a year!
- 12 Trip Report with Kids: Germany/Austria/Benelux
- 13 French Riviera
- 14 0ne day trip from Lisbon to Porto
- 15 Stonehenge and Bath
- 16 Decrepit dame does Deutschland
- 17 3 hours or so in Milano (quick stopover)
- 18 Greek Itinerary Help: 8 days Early November w/ 12-yr-old
- 19 Seeking apartment recommendations in a Chanti village
- 20 Tuscan Winery Suggestions
- 21 transfer from Civitavecchia to Fiumicino airport
- 22 Car necessary in Wengen, Switzerland
- 23 Amsterdam bike rides and maps
- 24 Barcelona extension
- 25 Venice, Maggiore, Jungfrau
Hiking inn-to-inn in Swiss Alps without a guide. Where to start looking?