My wife and I are interesting in arranging a hiking trip this summer in the Swiss Alps. Ideally we'd like to hike from inn-to-inn during the day. And we'd prefer to do this by ourselves (no guide), although we'd love to somehow figure out a way to send our luggage in a car while we hiked.
So Fodorites....is there a good place to start focusing my efforts? A string of Alpine huts or perhaps a good town to start from?
Two years ago in Italy we encountered a German couple that was doing a similar thing in Italy. They had arranged with a company to transport their luggage when they went hiking, so it would be waiting for them at the hotel when they arrived. They told us this was common in Europe, and to us it looked like an awesome trip.
An outfit that could enable us to easily make this happen? We're not looking for an all-inclusive trip. We're hoping to rent these inns ourselves and just hike at our own pace. We're both in excellent shape, and grew up deep in the Rockies so we are very comfortable in the mountains. We're pretty flexible on price, so we would consider pricey and cheap accommodations.
This is for a 10 day trip (including travel from NYC), so ideally we're looking for a circuit where we could hit a few various inns over the course of a pretty quick trip.
Hiking inn-to-inn in Swiss Alps without a guide. Where to start looking?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Central Europe itinerary
- 2 Madrid Apartment Rentals
- 3 Rick Steves - Ugly American Again!
- 4 2 Week Honeymoon France, Italy, Spain, Greece, Rome
- 5 Croatia via Venice for two weeks - itinerary suggestions
- 6 Barcelona next week, itinerary critique?
- 7 Versailles - guided tour or on our own????
- 8 Barcelona Hotels, Looking for recommendations
- 9 Southern Spain - What to SEE, what to BUY - what NOT to miss
- 10 at what point should one get health insurance
- 11 Only 2+ hours for Schonbrunn Palace...timing question
- 12 Lucerne Switzerland
- 13 Provence in April, 2014, Part 2
- 14 Venice Itinerary Help, Please
- 15 Europe in December for 10 days
- 16 Wurzburg/Regensburg Weather in April
- 17 Travel Cards / just made a $70 mistake?
- 18 Four weeks driving thru Italy October 2014
- 19 Italy..Tuscany Cinque Terre or Amalfi & Calabria Scilily
- 20 10-Hr Auto Tour o Lisbon,Portugal
- 21 What to do when your intra-Europe flight gets delayed?
- 22 Tour Belgium, the Netherlands and Switzerland On Line (Video + Stills)
- 23 Car travel within Regensburg during the Christmas season
- 24 Help with Italy itinerary (18 days: Rome, Umbria, Puglia, Amalfi?)
- 25 Amsterdam, Antwerp, Bruges over New Years