My wife and I are interesting in arranging a hiking trip this summer in the Swiss Alps. Ideally we'd like to hike from inn-to-inn during the day. And we'd prefer to do this by ourselves (no guide), although we'd love to somehow figure out a way to send our luggage in a car while we hiked.
So Fodorites....is there a good place to start focusing my efforts? A string of Alpine huts or perhaps a good town to start from?
Two years ago in Italy we encountered a German couple that was doing a similar thing in Italy. They had arranged with a company to transport their luggage when they went hiking, so it would be waiting for them at the hotel when they arrived. They told us this was common in Europe, and to us it looked like an awesome trip.
An outfit that could enable us to easily make this happen? We're not looking for an all-inclusive trip. We're hoping to rent these inns ourselves and just hike at our own pace. We're both in excellent shape, and grew up deep in the Rockies so we are very comfortable in the mountains. We're pretty flexible on price, so we would consider pricey and cheap accommodations.
This is for a 10 day trip (including travel from NYC), so ideally we're looking for a circuit where we could hit a few various inns over the course of a pretty quick trip.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Itinerary Help For Switzerland And Lakes Region Of Italy
- 2 16 days loop Venice to Venice
- 3 Review of the Jhieronimus Bosch ehibition
- 4 Alhambra night tour tickets question / Seville Alcazar night tour
- 5 Europe Trip 22 year olds
- 6 3 days in Amsterdam, arriving on King's Day - Need advice
- 7 London Pass or No?
- 8 Can't we Fodorites be kinder in our responses, especially to new posters?
- 9 Update on Bob the Navigator
- 10 Planning Europe itinerary
- 11 5 days in France or Italian Rivera
- 12 2 Days in Bologna
- 13 Undiscovered Places in Paris
- 14 Paris hotel and neighborhood help
- 15 Early planning for Scotland. Itinerary thoughts?
- 16 Venice Restaurant on Easter Sunday?
- 17 Warsaw Hotel Questions
- 18 Munich, Germany
- 19 Public Transportation in Vienna: Borderline Organized Crime
- 20 where to stay (and how long), what to see around Nuremberg
- 21 Help with Duoro Valley
- 22 Help with hotel choice in BRUGES please!!
- 23 York - Time for tea!
- 24 First Zermatt Ski Trip
- 25 Flying with Air France and Alitalia
Hiking inn-to-inn in Swiss Alps without a guide. Where to start looking?