My wife and I are interesting in arranging a hiking trip this summer in the Swiss Alps. Ideally we'd like to hike from inn-to-inn during the day. And we'd prefer to do this by ourselves (no guide), although we'd love to somehow figure out a way to send our luggage in a car while we hiked.
So Fodorites....is there a good place to start focusing my efforts? A string of Alpine huts or perhaps a good town to start from?
Two years ago in Italy we encountered a German couple that was doing a similar thing in Italy. They had arranged with a company to transport their luggage when they went hiking, so it would be waiting for them at the hotel when they arrived. They told us this was common in Europe, and to us it looked like an awesome trip.
An outfit that could enable us to easily make this happen? We're not looking for an all-inclusive trip. We're hoping to rent these inns ourselves and just hike at our own pace. We're both in excellent shape, and grew up deep in the Rockies so we are very comfortable in the mountains. We're pretty flexible on price, so we would consider pricey and cheap accommodations.
This is for a 10 day trip (including travel from NYC), so ideally we're looking for a circuit where we could hit a few various inns over the course of a pretty quick trip.
Hiking inn-to-inn in Swiss Alps without a guide. Where to start looking?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 How to decide where to go in Europe
- 2 Budget family trip to Europe
- 3 Berlin
- 4 5 Observations About Paris
- 5 Family vacay for 6 weeks with 2 Toddlers
- 6 Guidebook for Iceland
- 7 VAT refund Q--new carryon bag ??
- 8 Honeymoon in Provence - 14 day itinerary help please
- 9 Paris for a Week – Looking for a Day Trip Outside the City
- 10 Our Brief Bavarian Break: Christmas Markets
- 11 Euro Trivia Quiz #17 - British Train Trivia
- 12 Finally in Italy for the holidays - installment report
- 13 Airport ATMs
- 14 visa question
- 15 Tripadvisor fined in Italy over fake reviews
- 16 Spain and Portugal in Depth
- 17 Pasteurized Cheese in Paris
- 18 Two Weeks in France, reposting TR
- 19 Northern Italy Itinerary Help
- 20 FCO-area hotel advice, family of 4 with young children
- 21 By train to and out of Prague
- 22 Solo, inexperienced traveler struggling w/ logistics
- 23 Truffles, Tajarin & Turin…Two weeks in the Piemonte Region of Italy
- 24 Why don't the French use shower curtains
- 25 Euro Trivia quiz #17 - People and Places #2