My wife and I are interesting in arranging a hiking trip this summer in the Swiss Alps. Ideally we'd like to hike from inn-to-inn during the day. And we'd prefer to do this by ourselves (no guide), although we'd love to somehow figure out a way to send our luggage in a car while we hiked.
So Fodorites....is there a good place to start focusing my efforts? A string of Alpine huts or perhaps a good town to start from?
Two years ago in Italy we encountered a German couple that was doing a similar thing in Italy. They had arranged with a company to transport their luggage when they went hiking, so it would be waiting for them at the hotel when they arrived. They told us this was common in Europe, and to us it looked like an awesome trip.
An outfit that could enable us to easily make this happen? We're not looking for an all-inclusive trip. We're hoping to rent these inns ourselves and just hike at our own pace. We're both in excellent shape, and grew up deep in the Rockies so we are very comfortable in the mountains. We're pretty flexible on price, so we would consider pricey and cheap accommodations.
This is for a 10 day trip (including travel from NYC), so ideally we're looking for a circuit where we could hit a few various inns over the course of a pretty quick trip.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris then Italy? Or Greece?
- 2 POGO Password Recovery CONTACT ☎ 1:800:681:7208 Technical SUPP0RT 24*7
- 3 Buying Train Tickets at Schipol - Machine
- 4 Sim Cards
- 5 3 nights in Madrid
- 6 Nightime Tivoli
- 7 anyone stay here? ytri vik cottages
- 8 Travelling Iceland
- 9 Seville to Cordoba
- 10 paris hotel easy commute to Palais de Congres
- 11 Solo in Paris and looking for the best neighborhood
- 12 IWM
- 13 Greek honeymoon: He wants sightseeing, she wants beaches
- 14 Hotels in Positano, Capri, & Naples
- 15 Amalfi Coast
- 16 Montserrat Express
- 17 Itinerary Advice - Dublin to Shannon
- 18 Quiet reasonably priced Munich hotel during Oktoberfest
- 19 London Hotel - Different Request
- 20 Any itinerary hints for Prague
- 21 Visiting Positano and Amalfi
- 22 Best area to stay in Dubrovnik
- 23 Kayak = Priceline and unavailable flights?
- 24 Itinery help Crete
- 25 Very British Neighborhood in London
Hiking inn-to-inn in Swiss Alps without a guide. Where to start looking?