My wife and I are interesting in arranging a hiking trip this summer in the Swiss Alps. Ideally we'd like to hike from inn-to-inn during the day. And we'd prefer to do this by ourselves (no guide), although we'd love to somehow figure out a way to send our luggage in a car while we hiked.
So Fodorites....is there a good place to start focusing my efforts? A string of Alpine huts or perhaps a good town to start from?
Two years ago in Italy we encountered a German couple that was doing a similar thing in Italy. They had arranged with a company to transport their luggage when they went hiking, so it would be waiting for them at the hotel when they arrived. They told us this was common in Europe, and to us it looked like an awesome trip.
An outfit that could enable us to easily make this happen? We're not looking for an all-inclusive trip. We're hoping to rent these inns ourselves and just hike at our own pace. We're both in excellent shape, and grew up deep in the Rockies so we are very comfortable in the mountains. We're pretty flexible on price, so we would consider pricey and cheap accommodations.
This is for a 10 day trip (including travel from NYC), so ideally we're looking for a circuit where we could hit a few various inns over the course of a pretty quick trip.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Amalfi Coast, Italy
- 2 Car rental help in Sicily
- 3 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 4 alItalia
- 5 A birthday dinner in Sevilla
- 6 Car Rental in France - Europcar
- 7 Is Sicily Safe?
- 8 Time required from flight touchdown at Heathrow to King's Cross
- 9 credit and debit cards
- 10 Clean up spam
- 11 Family Friendly Day Trips from Arezzo
- 12 A Scrumptious Slice of Slovenia
- 13 How to spend 3 days btwn Milan and Florence
- 14 Mykonos Beach Club
- 15 Suggestions for two night stay near Athens airport?
- 16 Advice getting from Robin Hood's Bay to London
- 17 The Dordogne - Stu Dudley's Updated Itinerary
- 18 Ottolenghi walk-ins?
- 19 Visit to Engand
- 20 13 nights in Portugal...need tuning !
- 21 Trip in September
- 22 Which city order makes most sense?
- 23 10 days in Germany, Itinerary help please!
- 24 London Restaurants
- 25 Munich Hotel Location
Hiking inn-to-inn in Swiss Alps without a guide. Where to start looking?