My wife and I are interesting in arranging a hiking trip this summer in the Swiss Alps. Ideally we'd like to hike from inn-to-inn during the day. And we'd prefer to do this by ourselves (no guide), although we'd love to somehow figure out a way to send our luggage in a car while we hiked.
So Fodorites....is there a good place to start focusing my efforts? A string of Alpine huts or perhaps a good town to start from?
Two years ago in Italy we encountered a German couple that was doing a similar thing in Italy. They had arranged with a company to transport their luggage when they went hiking, so it would be waiting for them at the hotel when they arrived. They told us this was common in Europe, and to us it looked like an awesome trip.
An outfit that could enable us to easily make this happen? We're not looking for an all-inclusive trip. We're hoping to rent these inns ourselves and just hike at our own pace. We're both in excellent shape, and grew up deep in the Rockies so we are very comfortable in the mountains. We're pretty flexible on price, so we would consider pricey and cheap accommodations.
This is for a 10 day trip (including travel from NYC), so ideally we're looking for a circuit where we could hit a few various inns over the course of a pretty quick trip.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Croatia Itenerary
- 2 Scotland Itinerary
- 3 10 nights in France
- 4 Italy June 2016 - Attire?
- 5 If your question is "Is This Trip Crazy?"
- 6 Taxis G7: need help in creating account
- 7 Spain schedule - reality check please.
- 8 Suggestions for our Itinerary for June in Italy
- 9 Where to stop along the way
- 10 5 full days in Rome too much?
- 11 Trip Report - Sicily in 30 days 2016
- 12 Lazing it in Lisbon; Notes and Rambling Thoughts from and Extended Stay
- 13 Stay away from EF Tours
- 14 Swiss Burial/Grave Customs - ?
- 15 Favorite restaurant on Dordogne River
- 16 April in Paris...with a Side of Bordeaux
- 17 Austria czech republic itinerary
- 18 Shopping in Paris
- 19 Has anyone used Travelex as a debit card in Italy?
- 20 Villa Stefania-Cortona, Italy
- 21 Stop between Munich and Cochem (long train ride)
- 22 December in Deutschland
- 23 Novice needs help with Italy itinerary
- 24 Current Paris vacation rental news...
- 25 Once in a life time 3 month Europe Trip
Hiking inn-to-inn in Swiss Alps without a guide. Where to start looking?