My wife and I are interesting in arranging a hiking trip this summer in the Swiss Alps. Ideally we'd like to hike from inn-to-inn during the day. And we'd prefer to do this by ourselves (no guide), although we'd love to somehow figure out a way to send our luggage in a car while we hiked.
So Fodorites....is there a good place to start focusing my efforts? A string of Alpine huts or perhaps a good town to start from?
Two years ago in Italy we encountered a German couple that was doing a similar thing in Italy. They had arranged with a company to transport their luggage when they went hiking, so it would be waiting for them at the hotel when they arrived. They told us this was common in Europe, and to us it looked like an awesome trip.
An outfit that could enable us to easily make this happen? We're not looking for an all-inclusive trip. We're hoping to rent these inns ourselves and just hike at our own pace. We're both in excellent shape, and grew up deep in the Rockies so we are very comfortable in the mountains. We're pretty flexible on price, so we would consider pricey and cheap accommodations.
This is for a 10 day trip (including travel from NYC), so ideally we're looking for a circuit where we could hit a few various inns over the course of a pretty quick trip.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 cell phone companys
- 2 Beaches in Southern France
- 3 Brixen/ Bressanone: ideas for a few days?
- 4 Stores that sell Knorr products in Munich?
- 5 Swinoujscie Ferry Arrival
- 6 Heat wave in Paris? Learn to live with it!
- 7 Travel between Paris, Normandy and Brugges
- 8 Travel to Karlsrhue
- 9 3 days to spend in europe
- 10 Budget stay in or around Heidelberg
- 11 Day Trip to Greenland from Reykjavik
- 12 Traveling from Sicily, Italy to Greece
- 13 Amalfi Coast or the Lakes and where to fit in France?
- 14 Affordable French language course in France?
- 15 Budapest on a budget
- 16 Staying in or around Koblenz?
- 17 Roundabout from "European Vacation" movie?
- 18 Italy in October
- 19 Buying Louis Vuitton Handbag
- 20 Cotswald boutique hotel recommendations
- 21 Vizeat -- Anybody tried it?
- 22 Why doesn't anyone talk about staying in the 2nd arr in Paris? Am I blind?
- 23 anyone use 'NO JET LAG' ?
- 24 Seeking suggestions: Bavaria, Austria, Prague Trip in Fall
- 25 Car Rental at Malaga Port
Hiking inn-to-inn in Swiss Alps without a guide. Where to start looking?