I have read through a lot of posts here and it seems like there are many people with good answers. I will be staying in Northern Italy, near Milan this summer and I hear that hiking in Switzerland is beautiful. I'm an experienced hiker from Washington state and I like the isolation and exercise of a good hike as well as the scenery of course. I want to experience some beautiful trails in Switzerland but I don't enjoy hiking in places were it feels like you are at the local shopping mall (which means too many people and too much walking compared to climbing/hiking). In other words:
1. What are some beautiful, but challenging hikes in Switzerland that would not be (completely) overrun with tourists? A multiple day hike appeals to me but I don't want a tour guide, since I'm pretty good with a map (and hopefully there is signage too).
2. I hear that mountain inns or guest houses are cheaper but i haven't seen many actual figures. What might I expect to pay for the simplest room at one of these places, in the month of August or possibly early September? Do prices usually include meals?
3. Is there a hike in Switzerland so epic and mind blowing that it is worth the crowd?
I have plenty of time but want to keep from blowing the bank if possible. I'd love to really enjoy my time here and not be stressed out with a hectic tourist-style schedule.
Thanks in advance for all your advice!
Hiking in Switzerland
- 1 Planning a holiday
- 2 Planning 4 nights S / SE of London for my parents in their late 60s
- 3 Nice to St Remy overnight stop in Cassis?
- 4 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 5 2 weeks in UK to visit my daughter at Queen Mary Univ Dec 15-28 2013
- 6 Gogartys, Dublin
- 7 Prague - must see
- 8 Sicily 10 days
- 9 Christmas windows of Boulevard Haussmann in Paris
- 10 Alps/countryside off the beaten path suggestion - daytrip near Zurich
- 11 Frankfurt to Bamberg day trip - train ticket question
- 12 France, Spain, Italy and a hint of Switzerland
- 13 Advice on relocating to Italy?
- 14 Restaurant reservations Rome, Tuscany, Venice
- 15 Portugal in September
- 16 20 day Backpacking Trip
- 17 Europe with young teens
- 18 Spain itinerary complete - suggestions for inexpensive lodging?
- 19 Salamanca, Barcelona, o Valencia?
- 20 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome
- 21 Cycling and wine-tasting through Italy, Slovenia and Croatia
- 22 Where to stay in Copenhagen
- 23 How to get from airport to Venice city
- 24 Advises for trip to Russia
- 25 First timer! Trip to London over New Year's next year!