I have read through a lot of posts here and it seems like there are many people with good answers. I will be staying in Northern Italy, near Milan this summer and I hear that hiking in Switzerland is beautiful. I'm an experienced hiker from Washington state and I like the isolation and exercise of a good hike as well as the scenery of course. I want to experience some beautiful trails in Switzerland but I don't enjoy hiking in places were it feels like you are at the local shopping mall (which means too many people and too much walking compared to climbing/hiking). In other words:
1. What are some beautiful, but challenging hikes in Switzerland that would not be (completely) overrun with tourists? A multiple day hike appeals to me but I don't want a tour guide, since I'm pretty good with a map (and hopefully there is signage too).
2. I hear that mountain inns or guest houses are cheaper but i haven't seen many actual figures. What might I expect to pay for the simplest room at one of these places, in the month of August or possibly early September? Do prices usually include meals?
3. Is there a hike in Switzerland so epic and mind blowing that it is worth the crowd?
I have plenty of time but want to keep from blowing the bank if possible. I'd love to really enjoy my time here and not be stressed out with a hectic tourist-style schedule.
Thanks in advance for all your advice!
Hiking in Switzerland
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Monet in Normandy
- 2 100 Great things to do in Paris
- 3 Advice Train from Berlin to Prague
- 4 Travel from Split to Zadar
- 5 Tipping in Greece
- 6 Fine-tuning a 30 day stay in Switzerland June 2014
- 7 Is Naxos worthwhile if not planning to spend time on the beach?
- 8 American electrical gadgets
- 9 Honeymooning in Europe
- 10 two weeks 8/4 and 8/11
- 11 What to wear
- 12 Traveling in France by train
- 13 Istanbul - Itinerary recommendations
- 14 flea markets in France
- 15 Interesting markets to visit in Paris
- 16 Connection - Frankfurt airport to Mannheim HBF to SNCF
- 17 Ten days in Portugal - what are your favorites?
- 18 Piri-Piri, Pastel de Nata and Port…Perfectly Portugal
- 19 London neighborhood suggestions
- 20 seven days in Portugal
- 21 Germany A'dam Belgium Itinerary Help
- 22 Eating in France-two new books
- 23 Malmaison - how to get there from Paris
- 24 Spain tips beyond safety
- 25 Lake Como 3 Stretch and 7 Stretch Ferry Tickets