I have read through a lot of posts here and it seems like there are many people with good answers. I will be staying in Northern Italy, near Milan this summer and I hear that hiking in Switzerland is beautiful. I'm an experienced hiker from Washington state and I like the isolation and exercise of a good hike as well as the scenery of course. I want to experience some beautiful trails in Switzerland but I don't enjoy hiking in places were it feels like you are at the local shopping mall (which means too many people and too much walking compared to climbing/hiking). In other words:
1. What are some beautiful, but challenging hikes in Switzerland that would not be (completely) overrun with tourists? A multiple day hike appeals to me but I don't want a tour guide, since I'm pretty good with a map (and hopefully there is signage too).
2. I hear that mountain inns or guest houses are cheaper but i haven't seen many actual figures. What might I expect to pay for the simplest room at one of these places, in the month of August or possibly early September? Do prices usually include meals?
3. Is there a hike in Switzerland so epic and mind blowing that it is worth the crowd?
I have plenty of time but want to keep from blowing the bank if possible. I'd love to really enjoy my time here and not be stressed out with a hectic tourist-style schedule.
Thanks in advance for all your advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Malaga - places to stay and eat
- 2 please help me plan first trip to europe
- 3 Trip route from Paris to Venice
- 4 Railpass or point-to-point tickets
- 5 January Sicily and exploding cornetto al cioccolato
- 6 Greece-Paros or Meteora
- 7 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 8 Italy
- 9 Ireland travel passport question
- 10 Revised itinerary for italy
- 11 Polish: Enough Indo-European Similarity to Make Picking up Words Easier?
- 12 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 13 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 14 Surprise trip to Greece!
- 15 Rome, Florence and Venice for each city 2 days
- 16 Seville/Granada or Porto/Guim/Braga/Evora to impress 9 year old?
- 17 Juangfrau / mt
- 18 Bern to Munich, BlaBla Car & Dresden
- 19 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 20 Figueres: trains and timing from Barcelona
- 21 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 22 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 23 Switzerland
- 24 Paris to Nice - 4x 50 somethings and 5 nights - what to do!
- 25 Questions about Polish sights