I have read through a lot of posts here and it seems like there are many people with good answers. I will be staying in Northern Italy, near Milan this summer and I hear that hiking in Switzerland is beautiful. I'm an experienced hiker from Washington state and I like the isolation and exercise of a good hike as well as the scenery of course. I want to experience some beautiful trails in Switzerland but I don't enjoy hiking in places were it feels like you are at the local shopping mall (which means too many people and too much walking compared to climbing/hiking). In other words:
1. What are some beautiful, but challenging hikes in Switzerland that would not be (completely) overrun with tourists? A multiple day hike appeals to me but I don't want a tour guide, since I'm pretty good with a map (and hopefully there is signage too).
2. I hear that mountain inns or guest houses are cheaper but i haven't seen many actual figures. What might I expect to pay for the simplest room at one of these places, in the month of August or possibly early September? Do prices usually include meals?
3. Is there a hike in Switzerland so epic and mind blowing that it is worth the crowd?
I have plenty of time but want to keep from blowing the bank if possible. I'd love to really enjoy my time here and not be stressed out with a hectic tourist-style schedule.
Thanks in advance for all your advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Cancelling apartment in PARIS
- 2 Best coastal town within 3 hours of Barcelona (with kids)
- 3 Long Train Runnin' through the Alps (Switzerland 2016)
- 4 Immigration from Italy to Ireland to US
- 5 Seville itinerary critic and advice please
- 6 Daytrips/Excursions from Frankfurt
- 7 Will July 23 Become England's Independence Day?
- 8 Proper attire for a 17 year old boy traveling to Europe
- 9 FAQs
- 10 Naples to Pompeii
- 11 Amsterdam and ?????
- 12 St Petersberg/Moscow/Prague
- 13 apartments florence
- 14 Ireland ToDo
- 15 Need Ireland Itinerary Help
- 16 Amsterdam vs. France
- 17 To europe this Aug
- 18 Alhambra to Hammam al Andalusus Spa / best option
- 19 I'm back.....
- 20 Any experience with these three private guides for the Alhambra?
- 21 2 week in Europe Itinerary help
- 22 PARIS. GTG-------Sept.14, 2016, anyone interested?
- 23 Where to stop between Dijon & the Loire Valley (Chinon)?
- 24 Car Rental in Italy: Insurance Needed/Suggested
- 25 6 Aussies escape to France - Paris, Provence & Dordogne