I have read through a lot of posts here and it seems like there are many people with good answers. I will be staying in Northern Italy, near Milan this summer and I hear that hiking in Switzerland is beautiful. I'm an experienced hiker from Washington state and I like the isolation and exercise of a good hike as well as the scenery of course. I want to experience some beautiful trails in Switzerland but I don't enjoy hiking in places were it feels like you are at the local shopping mall (which means too many people and too much walking compared to climbing/hiking). In other words:
1. What are some beautiful, but challenging hikes in Switzerland that would not be (completely) overrun with tourists? A multiple day hike appeals to me but I don't want a tour guide, since I'm pretty good with a map (and hopefully there is signage too).
2. I hear that mountain inns or guest houses are cheaper but i haven't seen many actual figures. What might I expect to pay for the simplest room at one of these places, in the month of August or possibly early September? Do prices usually include meals?
3. Is there a hike in Switzerland so epic and mind blowing that it is worth the crowd?
I have plenty of time but want to keep from blowing the bank if possible. I'd love to really enjoy my time here and not be stressed out with a hectic tourist-style schedule.
Thanks in advance for all your advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Would you give up time in Malaga for more time in Granada?
- 2 Paris in July - side trip to South of France
- 3 Sienna with kids
- 4 Croatia, Slovenia, Austria with Preschoolers
- 5 Sankt Goar to Cologne
- 6 Pera palace hotel Istanbul
- 7 Doobie in Amsterdam
- 8 daily itinerary ideas for southern Languedoc and Rousillon
- 9 Public Transportation in Vienna: Borderline Organized Crime
- 10 Classical Music in Milan
- 11 12 nights in Greek islands
- 12 2 Weeks Amsterdam, Belgium, Germany, Salzburg
- 13 Paris authorities raid suspected illegal vacation rentals in 1er & 6er
- 14 Paris food tours?
- 15 Trip Report:Rome, Florence, Tuscany in December
- 16 Andalusia itinerary comments & advice please!
- 17 Validating train tickets - Germany, Switzwerland
- 18 Second thoughts about pour Germany trip...help me !
- 19 FIRST TIME VISIT TO SWITZERLAND
- 20 London, Edinburgh, Italy..HELP!
- 21 Cheap airfare to Europe?
- 22 Please help with my almost 3 week itinerary for Croatia
- 23 Perugia and Rome by train and bus
- 24 Italy/Switzerland in the fall
- 25 Need help paring down my 3 week intinerary Benelux/Germany!