I have read through a lot of posts here and it seems like there are many people with good answers. I will be staying in Northern Italy, near Milan this summer and I hear that hiking in Switzerland is beautiful. I'm an experienced hiker from Washington state and I like the isolation and exercise of a good hike as well as the scenery of course. I want to experience some beautiful trails in Switzerland but I don't enjoy hiking in places were it feels like you are at the local shopping mall (which means too many people and too much walking compared to climbing/hiking). In other words:
1. What are some beautiful, but challenging hikes in Switzerland that would not be (completely) overrun with tourists? A multiple day hike appeals to me but I don't want a tour guide, since I'm pretty good with a map (and hopefully there is signage too).
2. I hear that mountain inns or guest houses are cheaper but i haven't seen many actual figures. What might I expect to pay for the simplest room at one of these places, in the month of August or possibly early September? Do prices usually include meals?
3. Is there a hike in Switzerland so epic and mind blowing that it is worth the crowd?
I have plenty of time but want to keep from blowing the bank if possible. I'd love to really enjoy my time here and not be stressed out with a hectic tourist-style schedule.
Thanks in advance for all your advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Italy travel plan help
- 2 Journees du patrimonie 2017
- 3 Loire Valley best place to linger
- 4 Posting Packages from Central Europe
- 5 Wales
- 6 How to spend 6 days in Stockholm ?
- 7 For Paris-knowledgable - best neighborhood to stay a week-plus
- 8 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 9 Adivice from experts please, Southern Dutch/Belgium German Borders
- 10 Tracking the Weather
- 11 Globus Iberian Tour
- 12 NOTICE: Disruption on the railway line Mannheim-Basel
- 13 Looking for a UK coach tour company for seniors
- 14 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 15 Budapest to Kosice
- 16 Poland to Austria In December
- 17 Assist Please: A'dam/Cologne/Mosel Valley/Aachen
- 18 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 19 Northern Tucany / Southern Emilia-Romagna / Cinc Terre What to Do?
- 20 Base in Rhine or Mosel?
- 21 Drive from Lake Como to Venice
- 22 Italy itinerary - input needed, please!!
- 23 Driving in Southern Italy - outside the beaten track
- 24 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 25 Thinking about the Fjords