I have read through a lot of posts here and it seems like there are many people with good answers. I will be staying in Northern Italy, near Milan this summer and I hear that hiking in Switzerland is beautiful. I'm an experienced hiker from Washington state and I like the isolation and exercise of a good hike as well as the scenery of course. I want to experience some beautiful trails in Switzerland but I don't enjoy hiking in places were it feels like you are at the local shopping mall (which means too many people and too much walking compared to climbing/hiking). In other words:
1. What are some beautiful, but challenging hikes in Switzerland that would not be (completely) overrun with tourists? A multiple day hike appeals to me but I don't want a tour guide, since I'm pretty good with a map (and hopefully there is signage too).
2. I hear that mountain inns or guest houses are cheaper but i haven't seen many actual figures. What might I expect to pay for the simplest room at one of these places, in the month of August or possibly early September? Do prices usually include meals?
3. Is there a hike in Switzerland so epic and mind blowing that it is worth the crowd?
I have plenty of time but want to keep from blowing the bank if possible. I'd love to really enjoy my time here and not be stressed out with a hectic tourist-style schedule.
Thanks in advance for all your advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Venice/Mestre
- 2 car insurance italy
- 3 Apple Pay on London Transit
- 4 8 Days in Spain
- 5 Barcelona alternative
- 6 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 7 Spanish Medical Providers
- 8 Renfe AVE, Alvia & Avant Trains
- 9 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 10 9 Days in Spain
- 11 No Trains in January Paris to Venice?
- 12 How can I stay in Italy for more than 90 days?
- 13 Pompei, Naples and...Sorrento?
- 14 Undiscovered Places in Paris
- 15 Paris to Italy
- 16 Glasgow, Scotland excursions.
- 17 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 18 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 19 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 20 Bulgaria- hidden gems
- 21 Amsterdam
- 22 9-10 days beginning with Barcelona Marathon - what to do after?
- 23 travel to prague, vienna and munich
- 24 Venice to Zermatt by Train
- 25 Boozing and Bathing in Budapest!