I have read through a lot of posts here and it seems like there are many people with good answers. I will be staying in Northern Italy, near Milan this summer and I hear that hiking in Switzerland is beautiful. I'm an experienced hiker from Washington state and I like the isolation and exercise of a good hike as well as the scenery of course. I want to experience some beautiful trails in Switzerland but I don't enjoy hiking in places were it feels like you are at the local shopping mall (which means too many people and too much walking compared to climbing/hiking). In other words:
1. What are some beautiful, but challenging hikes in Switzerland that would not be (completely) overrun with tourists? A multiple day hike appeals to me but I don't want a tour guide, since I'm pretty good with a map (and hopefully there is signage too).
2. I hear that mountain inns or guest houses are cheaper but i haven't seen many actual figures. What might I expect to pay for the simplest room at one of these places, in the month of August or possibly early September? Do prices usually include meals?
3. Is there a hike in Switzerland so epic and mind blowing that it is worth the crowd?
I have plenty of time but want to keep from blowing the bank if possible. I'd love to really enjoy my time here and not be stressed out with a hectic tourist-style schedule.
Thanks in advance for all your advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 ALGARVE- MALAGA Spain road trip...help needed
- 2 Tipping culture in Croatia and the Balkans
- 3 Tipping culture in Croatia and the Balkans
- 4 Do I need a debit/PiIN card in England?
- 5 Southern France suggestions
- 6 Yay or Nay to these "front of the line" Vatican tours?
- 7 Itinerary help for Bavaria
- 8 Amsterdam and beyond
- 9 Train from Alsace to Cochem
- 10 Montpellier - A few questions
- 11 Late October Trip in France
- 12 Gatwick to Paddington via Victoria/London Bridge
- 13 3 weeks northern Italy advice
- 14 Bus to/from CDG to Paris only 2 euros!!
- 15 Valencia Oct 6-8 Swim in Sea?
- 16 Return to Paris after 15 Years
- 17 Art History lover - itinerary help
- 18 Paris Vacation Rentals in 2015
- 19 Paris-Best to visit end of October.. or during Christmas time?
- 20 This is Why I Will Always Travel Solo From Now: Trip Report -Rome and Sorrento
- 21 Greece and Turkey next summer - are we crazy?
- 22 Ring of Kerry: South Loop only? Gap of Dunloe?
- 23 Turkey Quick Trip
- 24 I have 10 days to spend in Italy! Advice needed!
- 25 How has Rome changed in last 30 years?