I have read through a lot of posts here and it seems like there are many people with good answers. I will be staying in Northern Italy, near Milan this summer and I hear that hiking in Switzerland is beautiful. I'm an experienced hiker from Washington state and I like the isolation and exercise of a good hike as well as the scenery of course. I want to experience some beautiful trails in Switzerland but I don't enjoy hiking in places were it feels like you are at the local shopping mall (which means too many people and too much walking compared to climbing/hiking). In other words:
1. What are some beautiful, but challenging hikes in Switzerland that would not be (completely) overrun with tourists? A multiple day hike appeals to me but I don't want a tour guide, since I'm pretty good with a map (and hopefully there is signage too).
2. I hear that mountain inns or guest houses are cheaper but i haven't seen many actual figures. What might I expect to pay for the simplest room at one of these places, in the month of August or possibly early September? Do prices usually include meals?
3. Is there a hike in Switzerland so epic and mind blowing that it is worth the crowd?
I have plenty of time but want to keep from blowing the bank if possible. I'd love to really enjoy my time here and not be stressed out with a hectic tourist-style schedule.
Thanks in advance for all your advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Packing for Sicily and Sardenia: Need anything Warm?
- 2 Split, Croatia Itinerary help
- 3 Fly out Venice or Rome
- 4 Best layover option
- 5 Feedback please on my itinerary Poland and Lithuania
- 6 Day trips from Seville -Granada, Cadiz&Jerez or white villages
- 7 Connecting rooms for 2 families in Amsterdam?
- 8 Venice Airport Car Return Center to Water Taxi Shuttle Area
- 9 Recommendations for trip to Cochem
- 10 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 11 Prem fares (again)
- 12 Verona to/around Lake Garda: Sights
- 13 Is Sicily and Pompeii in 4 days worth it?
- 14 Can you locate this picture in Greece?
- 15 Ireland and Scotland September 2017
- 16 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 17 From Biarritz to Paris- 2 extra nights
- 18 Drive from Montepulciano to Cinque Terre
- 19 4 Days in Europe! Paris, Lisbon, or...?
- 20 Getting a Russian visa in San Francisco, in person
- 21 4 days from/to Zagreb...
- 22 Croatia, Montenegro, Slovenia Itinerary July
- 23 15 days in Croatia - Advise Needed
- 24 3 days solo in London
- 25 Train transfer questions and safety - France/NL/Belgium/UK