I have read through a lot of posts here and it seems like there are many people with good answers. I will be staying in Northern Italy, near Milan this summer and I hear that hiking in Switzerland is beautiful. I'm an experienced hiker from Washington state and I like the isolation and exercise of a good hike as well as the scenery of course. I want to experience some beautiful trails in Switzerland but I don't enjoy hiking in places were it feels like you are at the local shopping mall (which means too many people and too much walking compared to climbing/hiking). In other words:
1. What are some beautiful, but challenging hikes in Switzerland that would not be (completely) overrun with tourists? A multiple day hike appeals to me but I don't want a tour guide, since I'm pretty good with a map (and hopefully there is signage too).
2. I hear that mountain inns or guest houses are cheaper but i haven't seen many actual figures. What might I expect to pay for the simplest room at one of these places, in the month of August or possibly early September? Do prices usually include meals?
3. Is there a hike in Switzerland so epic and mind blowing that it is worth the crowd?
I have plenty of time but want to keep from blowing the bank if possible. I'd love to really enjoy my time here and not be stressed out with a hectic tourist-style schedule.
Thanks in advance for all your advice!
Hiking in Switzerland
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 2 full days in Strasbourg - need advise on what tours to take
- 2 British English
- 3 Spending money in Italy?
- 4 Venice (Somewhere) and Trieste (Nowhere)—With a Bit of Slovenia In Between
- 5 Paris in October solo - potpourri of questions
- 6 Amsterdam - Paris - Barcelona
- 7 Saint Malo or Dinan?
- 8 spain in 14 nights with wife and 2 17 yrs old kids
- 9 Trip to Pyrenees
- 10 Vacation Rental Home near Barcelona with 8 bed/8 bath help
- 11 Iceland - Rent Car or take Bus?
- 12 How do I use a SIM card in Spain and Portugal?
- 13 Parisbestlodge Fleur de Lys apt
- 14 Itinerary for 11 day trip to France
- 15 Juan Les Pins or Cannes? Heading there this weekend and need your advise...
- 16 Brugge photo on Bing
- 17 Questions about the Chateau de Vincennes
- 18 A week in the South of France Sept 2014
- 19 One month in Puglia and Matera
- 20 LowCountryIslander & Mom Go Back to Italy...A Bologna & Rome Trip Report
- 21 Base for 6 nights between Fussen and Garmisch Partenkirchen?
- 22 A week in Basque Country: Bilbao, San Sebastian, Biarritz
- 23 Feedback on Italian Language Courses in Bologna
- 24 Stockholm/Archipelago Dinner Cruise
- 25 7 weeks Europe with toddler - Itinerary advice