I have read through a lot of posts here and it seems like there are many people with good answers. I will be staying in Northern Italy, near Milan this summer and I hear that hiking in Switzerland is beautiful. I'm an experienced hiker from Washington state and I like the isolation and exercise of a good hike as well as the scenery of course. I want to experience some beautiful trails in Switzerland but I don't enjoy hiking in places were it feels like you are at the local shopping mall (which means too many people and too much walking compared to climbing/hiking). In other words:
1. What are some beautiful, but challenging hikes in Switzerland that would not be (completely) overrun with tourists? A multiple day hike appeals to me but I don't want a tour guide, since I'm pretty good with a map (and hopefully there is signage too).
2. I hear that mountain inns or guest houses are cheaper but i haven't seen many actual figures. What might I expect to pay for the simplest room at one of these places, in the month of August or possibly early September? Do prices usually include meals?
3. Is there a hike in Switzerland so epic and mind blowing that it is worth the crowd?
I have plenty of time but want to keep from blowing the bank if possible. I'd love to really enjoy my time here and not be stressed out with a hectic tourist-style schedule.
Thanks in advance for all your advice!
Hiking in Switzerland
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Italy Trip: Another Scrap With Friction
- 2 TR: Solo in LONDON for ten days on unfinished business ...
- 3 Speeding ticket in Germany: how do I handle this?
- 4 There Nights in Paris - Lodging, Tour, Places, Language
- 5 A weekend in Europe--where to go?
- 6 Advice and suggestions welcome for 2 month trip
- 7 Please critique my Croatia/Slovenia itinerary
- 8 Madrid—Portugal—Northern Spain—Barcelona by car, need an itinerary...
- 9 things in Rhonda
- 10 Spain for 5 days at end of August
- 11 England, Scotland, Ireland, and France... Where do I start?! (three weeks)
- 12 There Nights in Venice - Lodging, Tour, Places, Language
- 13 There Nights in London - Lodging, Tour, Places
- 14 If you had a week in Switzerland...
- 15 One month in Puglia and Matera
- 16 Northern Spain literature
- 17 Is May Day a big deal in Barcelona?
- 18 Amalfi Coast vs Greece
- 19 10 days in England
- 20 specific question about my possible trip to europe with Schengen law
- 21 Which hotel in Lisbon?
- 22 Two Week Big Fat Family Vacation to Greece
- 23 Favorite Views of Paris?
- 24 Croatia itinerary
- 25 17 amazing days in Tuscany, Positano and Rome – June 2014!