I have read through a lot of posts here and it seems like there are many people with good answers. I will be staying in Northern Italy, near Milan this summer and I hear that hiking in Switzerland is beautiful. I'm an experienced hiker from Washington state and I like the isolation and exercise of a good hike as well as the scenery of course. I want to experience some beautiful trails in Switzerland but I don't enjoy hiking in places were it feels like you are at the local shopping mall (which means too many people and too much walking compared to climbing/hiking). In other words:
1. What are some beautiful, but challenging hikes in Switzerland that would not be (completely) overrun with tourists? A multiple day hike appeals to me but I don't want a tour guide, since I'm pretty good with a map (and hopefully there is signage too).
2. I hear that mountain inns or guest houses are cheaper but i haven't seen many actual figures. What might I expect to pay for the simplest room at one of these places, in the month of August or possibly early September? Do prices usually include meals?
3. Is there a hike in Switzerland so epic and mind blowing that it is worth the crowd?
I have plenty of time but want to keep from blowing the bank if possible. I'd love to really enjoy my time here and not be stressed out with a hectic tourist-style schedule.
Thanks in advance for all your advice!
Hiking in Switzerland
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 How much time did -you- spend in Delphi and Olympia?
- 2 Bologna airport to train to Florence
- 3 London and Where Else in late December?
- 4 Couples trip- 18 nights-Itinerary Help
- 5 Small Group walking tour Switzerland
- 6 Andaluzia - where to stay in Seville and Malaga?
- 7 Istanbul Itinerary
- 8 Half Day tours with Alla Tour Company
- 9 Germany and Poland Itinerary - Would appreciate feedback
- 10 Bologna tips
- 11 Transportation from Nice to Florence
- 12 Edinburgh - outings?
- 13 Our Spain Adventure -- Cordoba, Seville, Granada and Barcelona! (Part One)
- 14 Spain - Cadaques to Girona
- 15 plug adaptors for Switzerland
- 16 What to wear
- 17 Scotland: Scone Game Day vs St. Andrews?
- 18 avoiding stuffy and inflexible service at nice european resorts
- 19 Spain, France, Netherlands with 18, 19 yo grandsons
- 20 What can we do with 4 hours in Paris layover
- 21 2 Weeks in Italy - In Less than 2 Weeks!
- 22 50 and Fabulous in 2015---need help planning my trip to Amalfi, FINALLY
- 23 Madrid and London
- 24 Tour Guide in Budapest
- 25 Planning for Italy trip with a two-year old