I have read through a lot of posts here and it seems like there are many people with good answers. I will be staying in Northern Italy, near Milan this summer and I hear that hiking in Switzerland is beautiful. I'm an experienced hiker from Washington state and I like the isolation and exercise of a good hike as well as the scenery of course. I want to experience some beautiful trails in Switzerland but I don't enjoy hiking in places were it feels like you are at the local shopping mall (which means too many people and too much walking compared to climbing/hiking). In other words:
1. What are some beautiful, but challenging hikes in Switzerland that would not be (completely) overrun with tourists? A multiple day hike appeals to me but I don't want a tour guide, since I'm pretty good with a map (and hopefully there is signage too).
2. I hear that mountain inns or guest houses are cheaper but i haven't seen many actual figures. What might I expect to pay for the simplest room at one of these places, in the month of August or possibly early September? Do prices usually include meals?
3. Is there a hike in Switzerland so epic and mind blowing that it is worth the crowd?
I have plenty of time but want to keep from blowing the bank if possible. I'd love to really enjoy my time here and not be stressed out with a hectic tourist-style schedule.
Thanks in advance for all your advice!
Hiking in Switzerland
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 20 days in Germany
- 2 Backpacking Europe in the Winter
- 3 Mr & Mrs Annhig go bummelling round Germany.
- 4 Paris for a Week – Looking for a Day Trip Outside the City
- 5 Barcelona and/or ??? with another family
- 6 Nice or Marseille??
- 7 Another Trip of Discovery of Feminine Charm with DW and DD the Younger
- 8 Final segment: unsolicited advice for first time Portugal travellers
- 9 Rome---August and September
- 10 Christmas Market Battle: Vienna/Salzburg/Munich
- 11 Which European Countries Speak the Most English?
- 12 South of France November Trip Report
- 13 Dresden or Leipzig
- 14 Auto Rental, Frankfurt Airport
- 15 Trains in Italy
- 16 Greece - 3 week trip - requesting input
- 17 Adventures in Italy with Momma
- 18 Blissful Airbnbs,Risky Segways,Vegan Tapas: Prague-Hvar-Andalucía-Madrid
- 19 Alcobaca, Batalha and Tomar, all or one?
- 20 Do you want to participate to my TV report for French TV ?
- 21 27-DAY ODYSSEY IN THE ALPS with 3 FINAL DAYS IN PARIS
- 22 Moving to Belfast
- 23 Iceland with kids - purchase a 'self-drive' package or DIY?
- 24 1 Month Europe (June 2015) with 3 children, ages 6-11
- 25 Help with Tuscany for a week late May/early June