I have read through a lot of posts here and it seems like there are many people with good answers. I will be staying in Northern Italy, near Milan this summer and I hear that hiking in Switzerland is beautiful. I'm an experienced hiker from Washington state and I like the isolation and exercise of a good hike as well as the scenery of course. I want to experience some beautiful trails in Switzerland but I don't enjoy hiking in places were it feels like you are at the local shopping mall (which means too many people and too much walking compared to climbing/hiking). In other words:
1. What are some beautiful, but challenging hikes in Switzerland that would not be (completely) overrun with tourists? A multiple day hike appeals to me but I don't want a tour guide, since I'm pretty good with a map (and hopefully there is signage too).
2. I hear that mountain inns or guest houses are cheaper but i haven't seen many actual figures. What might I expect to pay for the simplest room at one of these places, in the month of August or possibly early September? Do prices usually include meals?
3. Is there a hike in Switzerland so epic and mind blowing that it is worth the crowd?
I have plenty of time but want to keep from blowing the bank if possible. I'd love to really enjoy my time here and not be stressed out with a hectic tourist-style schedule.
Thanks in advance for all your advice!
Hiking in Switzerland
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Sorrento - 2.5 days itinerary help
- 2 Frankfurt Airport: 2 hours from touchdown to train. Go for it???
- 3 Our Adventure to the Southeast of England and London
- 4 Northern Spain
- 5 Has anyone used Waytostay.com for Paris rentals?
- 6 Itinerary Check: Zurich, Munich, Prague, VIenna and Berlin in 20 Days
- 7 Your favorite restaurants in Milan, please
- 8 week in calabria
- 9 Iceland - Rent Car or take Bus?
- 10 Switzerland's Iconic Postal Buses...A Whole Different Switzerland!
- 11 Keeping it el cheapo in Copenhagen Paris and Barcelona!
- 12 Iceland! Summer 2015 Wanna help with my itinerary??
- 13 Blackpool Lights 2014: Tripping the Lights Fantastic in Northern England!
- 14 Prague Tour Guides and Castle Tickets
- 15 Turkey 2015-Happy B-day to Me
- 16 Akrotiri Tours
- 17 Walking in Oslo
- 18 London hotel tax is 20%
- 19 Jamikins and Bikerscott Head Back to Le Marche
- 20 Best location for Prague hotel?
- 21 Americans travel to Russia. Is it safe?
- 22 Looking for a month long vacation rental in France
- 23 Which to fly into....Milan or Rome?
- 24 Regensburg or Cesky Krumlov for Two Nights
- 25 Paul Bocuse restaurant in Lyon