I have read through a lot of posts here and it seems like there are many people with good answers. I will be staying in Northern Italy, near Milan this summer and I hear that hiking in Switzerland is beautiful. I'm an experienced hiker from Washington state and I like the isolation and exercise of a good hike as well as the scenery of course. I want to experience some beautiful trails in Switzerland but I don't enjoy hiking in places were it feels like you are at the local shopping mall (which means too many people and too much walking compared to climbing/hiking). In other words:
1. What are some beautiful, but challenging hikes in Switzerland that would not be (completely) overrun with tourists? A multiple day hike appeals to me but I don't want a tour guide, since I'm pretty good with a map (and hopefully there is signage too).
2. I hear that mountain inns or guest houses are cheaper but i haven't seen many actual figures. What might I expect to pay for the simplest room at one of these places, in the month of August or possibly early September? Do prices usually include meals?
3. Is there a hike in Switzerland so epic and mind blowing that it is worth the crowd?
I have plenty of time but want to keep from blowing the bank if possible. I'd love to really enjoy my time here and not be stressed out with a hectic tourist-style schedule.
Thanks in advance for all your advice!
Hiking in Switzerland
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Madrid or Toledo on May 1st - holiday
- 2 York, Lakes District in early May good choice? Or Elsewhere?
- 3 French embassy schengen visa related questions
- 4 France Itinerary for 2 months: Please critique and advise!
- 5 St Pancras to Holburn tube station
- 6 Rue Montorgueil or 7th?
- 7 Ireland and the UK Itinerary Advice
- 8 9 days in turkey
- 9 Alternatives to Heathrow hotels?
- 10 Not hot in Europe in July?
- 11 Benefits of Living in an HOA Community of the Cindy Shearin Group
- 12 Berlin & Budapest for 8 days
- 13 Nice Video about Poland
- 14 My Italy Itinerary for July 2014
- 15 Paris: Help w/short and very last minute trip
- 16 5 days in Europe: Budapest/Berlin or Copenhagen/Talinn or something else?
- 17 Location and amenities in Edinburgh, Scotland
- 18 France/Italy Itinerary Check
- 19 Estonia Amber
- 20 Villages to stay in Germany close to trains
- 21 9 nights in Switzerland Help!Please.
- 22 Swiss pass or Individual tickets?
- 23 Spain in 18days -finalizing itinerary and a special bday celebration!
- 24 Great Britain Travel- London / Edinburgh
- 25 Dordogne and Paris - April/May 2013