I am having a bit of trouble deciding on where all to visit in Europe. My flight is covered, so this is only about time and costs in Europe proper.
I am looking to take a 3-week vacation sometime this autumn. My time is fairly flexible, really. Anytime from mid-September until mid-December I can take off from work.
I was first considering something really involved like spending two days each in the capitals of Baltic countries, Slovakia, Czech Republic, and Romania with a longer stopover in Poland and Hungary. Then I realized this wouldn't be much of a relaxing vacation and I was falling into "check things off the box" fever.
Any thoughts on if I were to limit myself to Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, and Hungary? 21 days split between those places in late September or early October. I imagine weather should still be nice, right?
Ideally I'd fly in at the start of the trip into one of these places, do all travel by train between cities avoiding renting a car, and fly out at the end.
Fly into Poland
10 days there split between Krakow, Warsaw, Wroclaw, and Gdansk. Are all these reachable by train/bus from each other? Any suggested order of which one to fly to and in what order to go?
Train to Prague. 3 nights there or possibly trying to fit in a day in Brno.
train to Bratislava. 2 nights there
Train to Budapest. 4 days there. Fly out.
Something like this? All told I'd like to spend less than $5,000 on the trip (not counting airfare which is separate). Any thoughts?
Alternatively, if it is going to be later in the year and colder in these places than I'd like, I was considering an alternative trip to Portugal (Porto, Lisbon) and Spain (Barcelona, Madrid, Bilbao) with the same timeline and $5,000 spending cap preference for the 21 days.
Any thoughts on things to cut out or add or give more/less time to would be really welcome.
My first post, so apologies for it being kind of all over the place. Basically I just want to see some new things, relax, and have a nice time (in terms of a laid back, enjoyable trip. Not meaning crazy night life or anything as being necessary. I am not a big drinker)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Americans moving to Europe - Suggestions?
- 2 Praiano
- 3 Driving from Rennes to Geneva
- 4 Help me plan a 2 week trip to London and the Edinburgh Fringe Festival!
- 5 First Trip from Boston to Italy
- 6 Ronda Wine/biking
- 7 How long from Heathrow to Isle of Wight
- 8 Best way from London to Gatwick these days?
- 9 Driving (hire car) in Paris, France, Belgium
- 10 Undisclsoed location
- 11 What crazy coincidence or chance meeting have you had while traveling?
- 12 Budget for 8 weeks in europe
- 13 Looking for a unique 3 days in Venice
- 14 Can I do Stonehenge and Bath from Isle of Wight in 1 day?
- 15 Semana Santa Other than Sevilla
- 16 Ireland last minute recommendations
- 17 One Month in Italy - Where would you base yourself?
- 18 Italy bus or train
- 19 Favorite restaurants, Florence
- 20 Need help completing my itinerary. So Much to see!
- 21 Day trips to Windsor Castle and Hampton Court from London
- 22 Switzerland/Italy (2 weeks vacations)
- 23 Seeking Andalusia itinerary recommendation
- 24 Paris or Edinburgh - 3 days which to choose?
- 25 RV Camper Van in Scottish Highlands