I am having a bit of trouble deciding on where all to visit in Europe. My flight is covered, so this is only about time and costs in Europe proper.
I am looking to take a 3-week vacation sometime this autumn. My time is fairly flexible, really. Anytime from mid-September until mid-December I can take off from work.
I was first considering something really involved like spending two days each in the capitals of Baltic countries, Slovakia, Czech Republic, and Romania with a longer stopover in Poland and Hungary. Then I realized this wouldn't be much of a relaxing vacation and I was falling into "check things off the box" fever.
Any thoughts on if I were to limit myself to Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, and Hungary? 21 days split between those places in late September or early October. I imagine weather should still be nice, right?
Ideally I'd fly in at the start of the trip into one of these places, do all travel by train between cities avoiding renting a car, and fly out at the end.
Fly into Poland
10 days there split between Krakow, Warsaw, Wroclaw, and Gdansk. Are all these reachable by train/bus from each other? Any suggested order of which one to fly to and in what order to go?
Train to Prague. 3 nights there or possibly trying to fit in a day in Brno.
train to Bratislava. 2 nights there
Train to Budapest. 4 days there. Fly out.
Something like this? All told I'd like to spend less than $5,000 on the trip (not counting airfare which is separate). Any thoughts?
Alternatively, if it is going to be later in the year and colder in these places than I'd like, I was considering an alternative trip to Portugal (Porto, Lisbon) and Spain (Barcelona, Madrid, Bilbao) with the same timeline and $5,000 spending cap preference for the 21 days.
Any thoughts on things to cut out or add or give more/less time to would be really welcome.
My first post, so apologies for it being kind of all over the place. Basically I just want to see some new things, relax, and have a nice time (in terms of a laid back, enjoyable trip. Not meaning crazy night life or anything as being necessary. I am not a big drinker)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 What tips can you give about packing?
- 2 San Francisco retirees would like to move to Paris for a year- crazy idea?
- 3 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 4 Climbing Ben Nevis in June
- 5 Cascais or Algarve?
- 6 Souvenirs to collect while backpacking?
- 7 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 8 Cotswolds cottage ideas
- 9 Advice on car and getting around Aeolian Islands
- 10 Splitting 11 days between Amsterdam and Dubrovnik
- 11 Bergen Hotel -- near Port ?
- 12 NO Luggage Storage at Padua train station?
- 13 Azores
- 14 Opinion on sights in Florence
- 15 Madrid, Barcelona and .....
- 16 roaming Prague...but for how long?
- 17 Scotland in 7 Days
- 18 Short Trip in July
- 19 Barcelona to Paris - Road trip in between?
- 20 Planning a solo trip mostly to France, advice please!
- 21 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 22 Looking for Italy Itinerary Advice (8N)
- 23 Where to go...one month w/a one year old
- 24 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 25 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please