I am helping a friend plan a trip for herself and her husband - both in their late 70's - active and sharp people.
They have never been to the Chianti area or the Val D'Orcia region and are hoping to do both areas - and here's the kicker - without a car as they don't want the hassle of driving. They are willing to hire a private driver for some days (may end up being most days...we will see).
Thinking 4 nights in Chianti and 2 or 3 Val D'Orcia.
So, my questions are as follows:
1. Where to stay in these areas - looking at Greve/Panzano, Castellina for Chianti area and Montalcino, Montepulciano or Pienza for Val D'Orcia. . If anyone can recommend upscale hotels with a pool, on site restaurant and (not sure that this exists) an onsite driver to do short trips into the closest town, that would be terrific. They will probably be best staying close to, if not in town, in these places. For Pienza, was looking at Il Chiostro di Pienza which looks like an option.
2. Private drivers - does anyone have any suggestions in this regard? I know of Luca from Hills and Roads.
3. Cooking classes and nice wineries with lunch restaurant on site - any suggestions regarding these are so welcome! I am compiling a nice list.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 One night in Rome
- 2 Greece Itinerary Jun-Jul 2017
- 3 Trip to Rome
- 4 Places to cover in Switzerland in 8-9 days & then 5-6 days in Austria
- 5 How early in the spring to visit London & England?
- 6 European Travel & Trivia Quiz #162
- 7 Itinerary Paris to Dordogne +/- Loire??
- 8 16 Days in Scotland in May with Our Two Boys
- 9 Parma/strasbourg or frankfurt???
- 10 Do you travel with linen clothes?
- 11 Moving Around Amalfi without a car
- 12 Scottish Heritage Pass v. Explorer Pass
- 13 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 14 Provence best farmstays!!??
- 15 Itinerary review from a overplanner
- 16 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 17 Corpus Christi in Toledo?
- 18 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 19 Imbros Gorge
- 20 Help needed/wanted to central/east Europe
- 21 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 22 Bus from Budva to Kotor
- 23 Souvenirs to collect while backpacking?
- 24 Springtime (Hopefully) in Copenhagen
- 25 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please