I am helping a friend plan a trip for herself and her husband - both in their late 70's - active and sharp people.
They have never been to the Chianti area or the Val D'Orcia region and are hoping to do both areas - and here's the kicker - without a car as they don't want the hassle of driving. They are willing to hire a private driver for some days (may end up being most days...we will see).
Thinking 4 nights in Chianti and 2 or 3 Val D'Orcia.
So, my questions are as follows:
1. Where to stay in these areas - looking at Greve/Panzano, Castellina for Chianti area and Montalcino, Montepulciano or Pienza for Val D'Orcia. . If anyone can recommend upscale hotels with a pool, on site restaurant and (not sure that this exists) an onsite driver to do short trips into the closest town, that would be terrific. They will probably be best staying close to, if not in town, in these places. For Pienza, was looking at Il Chiostro di Pienza which looks like an option.
2. Private drivers - does anyone have any suggestions in this regard? I know of Luca from Hills and Roads.
3. Cooking classes and nice wineries with lunch restaurant on site - any suggestions regarding these are so welcome! I am compiling a nice list.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Can you locate this picture in Greece?
- 2 Hiking the Cinque Terre Trails?
- 3 (Repost) Overall cost of three weeks in Scotland??
- 4 Split, Croatia Itinerary help
- 5 Packing for Sicily and Sardenia: Need anything Warm?
- 6 RS view on booking.com & the like
- 7 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 8 Getting out of Glasgow - ideas needed
- 9 Car rental companies - why so many negative reviews?
- 10 Iceland rental camper company
- 11 Fly out Venice or Rome
- 12 southeast sicily town as home base
- 13 From Biarritz to Paris- 2 extra nights
- 14 Please help with Carry-on Question--CDG!
- 15 Chania
- 16 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 17 Incredibly Beautiful, Fira, Greece
- 18 Theoxenia on Santorini
- 19 Spanish food - not that special?
- 20 4 Days in Europe! Paris, Lisbon, or...?
- 21 Rome travel book, Nice extra
- 22 Day trips from Seville -Granada, Cadiz&Jerez or white villages
- 23 stopover between antequerra and granada?
- 24 Recommendations for trip to Cochem
- 25 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!