I am helping a friend plan a trip for herself and her husband - both in their late 70's - active and sharp people.
They have never been to the Chianti area or the Val D'Orcia region and are hoping to do both areas - and here's the kicker - without a car as they don't want the hassle of driving. They are willing to hire a private driver for some days (may end up being most days...we will see).
Thinking 4 nights in Chianti and 2 or 3 Val D'Orcia.
So, my questions are as follows:
1. Where to stay in these areas - looking at Greve/Panzano, Castellina for Chianti area and Montalcino, Montepulciano or Pienza for Val D'Orcia. . If anyone can recommend upscale hotels with a pool, on site restaurant and (not sure that this exists) an onsite driver to do short trips into the closest town, that would be terrific. They will probably be best staying close to, if not in town, in these places. For Pienza, was looking at Il Chiostro di Pienza which looks like an option.
2. Private drivers - does anyone have any suggestions in this regard? I know of Luca from Hills and Roads.
3. Cooking classes and nice wineries with lunch restaurant on site - any suggestions regarding these are so welcome! I am compiling a nice list.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Train Questions: Getting a Train to Bruges And One Random Question
- 2 Greek Islands - Which to use as our base?
- 3 Barcelona alternative
- 4 Sicily in feb? If not, where to from Israel?
- 5 Italy Car Scam
- 6 Great Value Vacations - NOT
- 7 Desperate! photo SD card says "not Formatted" is all lost!?
- 8 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 9 Driving through Paris
- 10 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 11 Spanish Medical Providers
- 12 Road trip with our dog
- 13 Undiscovered Places in Paris
- 14 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 15 So Many Places, So Little Time-17 Day Euro Trip--HELP!
- 16 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 17 Vacation apartment registration begins in Paris 1 Oct
- 18 Restaurant recs for French food in Montreux and surrounding area
- 19 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 20 Stanbr and Lolly visit Eastern Crete
- 21 Looking for a 5 star resort on Spanish coast for January
- 22 Help with Portugal Itinerary Please
- 23 Restaurant recs for French food in Montreux and surrounding area
- 24 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 25 Suggestion for trip to Switzerland, Greece and Italy