My wife and I (architect and designer respectively) are putting some finishing touches on our upcoming trip to the UK (and Ireland - depending on your point of view) in June 2012. We have learned to slow down a little, so we are only planning Edinburgh (3 nights), Glasgow (3 nights), Dublin (4 nights), and London (4 nights) over the course of two weeks or so.
Unfortunately, due to airline frequent flier programs, we arrive from the US at 21:55 on June 2nd into Heathrow - so no overnight train to Edinburgh. We are planning to train into London and stay near King's Cross station overnight and then train to Edinburgh the next morning. We have considered staying to view the Queen's Diamond Jubilee festivities but decided that the crowds, bank holiday, and other closings, etc. will just be too much. We have resigned ourselves to the cost of traveling into the city and staying overnight by accepting that the train ride will offer some view of the English and Scottish countryside along the way.
A few questions remain that would help us with final preparations.
1) Is there a simpler or better way to travel to Edinburgh given our time of arrival on a Saturday night?
2) We are considering a day tour out of Dublin to Wicklow area - any recommendations here or others?
3) We are planning a day trip to Stonehenge out of London. Any recommendations here?
4) Pubs, restaurants, places of special interest in any of these cities are also welcome.
Your advice is always great food for thought, so any help is appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 파워볼 ▶ 도메인 : pwn22.com●가입코드:ctx20▶kakao:ctx2012
- 2 Sicily in 3 Weeks
- 3 17 year old need a birth certificate to travel?
- 4 Possible British Airways strike action, July 2017
- 5 Ireland for work. Add on a week-Scotland? Netherlands?
- 6 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy
- 7 Cinque Terre, Bologna and Lake Como
- 8 Charming Balcony Hotel in Le Marais?
- 9 I bought a one way ticket to Europe.
- 10 Hiking in Switzerland
- 11 Plane to Train Connection-CDG to Gare De Lyon
- 12 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 13 ITALY – ON AND OFF THE BEATEN PATH: Venice & Northern Italy
- 14 CASH OR CARD?
- 15 3 Weeks in Sicilia!!
- 16 David's First Draft Itinerary for Northern Spain and Portugal 2018
- 17 Recommendations for trip to Cochem
- 18 Day Trip to Capri: Advice Needed
- 19 4 Days in Europe! Paris, Lisbon, or...?
- 20 Dordogne for 6 full days in early September itinerary for comment!
- 21 NL/googlehangoutApp/vodafone/again
- 22 2 days in Lugano area
- 23 FYI, Bourdain in Porto, this Sunday (July 2)
- 24 Need help planning trip after Paris
- 25 Short Trip in Spain taggin along work trip