My wife and I (architect and designer respectively) are putting some finishing touches on our upcoming trip to the UK (and Ireland - depending on your point of view) in June 2012. We have learned to slow down a little, so we are only planning Edinburgh (3 nights), Glasgow (3 nights), Dublin (4 nights), and London (4 nights) over the course of two weeks or so.
Unfortunately, due to airline frequent flier programs, we arrive from the US at 21:55 on June 2nd into Heathrow - so no overnight train to Edinburgh. We are planning to train into London and stay near King's Cross station overnight and then train to Edinburgh the next morning. We have considered staying to view the Queen's Diamond Jubilee festivities but decided that the crowds, bank holiday, and other closings, etc. will just be too much. We have resigned ourselves to the cost of traveling into the city and staying overnight by accepting that the train ride will offer some view of the English and Scottish countryside along the way.
A few questions remain that would help us with final preparations.
1) Is there a simpler or better way to travel to Edinburgh given our time of arrival on a Saturday night?
2) We are considering a day tour out of Dublin to Wicklow area - any recommendations here or others?
3) We are planning a day trip to Stonehenge out of London. Any recommendations here?
4) Pubs, restaurants, places of special interest in any of these cities are also welcome.
Your advice is always great food for thought, so any help is appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 2 Climbing Ben Nevis in June
- 3 Domestic Connection Times at Athens Airport?
- 4 Help required with Itinerary
- 5 advance tickets?
- 6 Where to go...one month w/a one year old
- 7 Best place to park in Bath and Windsor
- 8 Spain in December
- 9 tickets for the Tower's Ceremony of the Keys
- 10 Como Bus to Bellagio
- 11 How early in the spring to visit London & England?
- 12 Short stay London with Aussie kids or not?
- 13 lurento sports car rental - anyone?
- 14 4 Days In Northern Italy advice
- 15 Recommendations for Wiesbaden
- 16 Which is the cheapest country (and gorgeous) in Europe?
- 17 Opinion on sights in Florence
- 18 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #163
- 19 Visiting London 05/02 - 05/20 (US dates)
- 20 Itinerary review from a overplanner
- 21 Trip to Rome
- 22 Greek Islands (small)
- 23 Vegetarian Food in Spain & Portugal
- 24 Barcelona, Bilboa, Cuena, Madrid
- 25 Crete/Athens June 2017