My wife and I (architect and designer respectively) are putting some finishing touches on our upcoming trip to the UK (and Ireland - depending on your point of view) in June 2012. We have learned to slow down a little, so we are only planning Edinburgh (3 nights), Glasgow (3 nights), Dublin (4 nights), and London (4 nights) over the course of two weeks or so.
Unfortunately, due to airline frequent flier programs, we arrive from the US at 21:55 on June 2nd into Heathrow - so no overnight train to Edinburgh. We are planning to train into London and stay near King's Cross station overnight and then train to Edinburgh the next morning. We have considered staying to view the Queen's Diamond Jubilee festivities but decided that the crowds, bank holiday, and other closings, etc. will just be too much. We have resigned ourselves to the cost of traveling into the city and staying overnight by accepting that the train ride will offer some view of the English and Scottish countryside along the way.
A few questions remain that would help us with final preparations.
1) Is there a simpler or better way to travel to Edinburgh given our time of arrival on a Saturday night?
2) We are considering a day tour out of Dublin to Wicklow area - any recommendations here or others?
3) We are planning a day trip to Stonehenge out of London. Any recommendations here?
4) Pubs, restaurants, places of special interest in any of these cities are also welcome.
Your advice is always great food for thought, so any help is appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 2 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 3 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 4 Paris hotels
- 5 LONDON - New Years Eve
- 6 Vienna, Austria for 5 days in early June
- 7 Car Rental in France (Insurance + Add'l Driver Questions?)
- 8 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 9 Budapest in December 2017
- 10 In Search of Montalbano - the ups and downs of 10 days in Eastern Sicily
- 11 Italy Sept 26-Oct 6 2017
- 12 Trek through Eur
- 13 Croatia Itinerary Help
- 14 After Beaune, need suggestions for the next 10 days
- 15 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 16 Last minute (next week) London GTG?
- 17 Roma Pass
- 18 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 19 Amsterdam hotels
- 20 Denmark or Sweden?
- 21 Europe itinerary questions
- 22 London Hotels
- 23 Flying into Copenhagen (1st trip to Europe)
- 24 We're here!
- 25 Has anyone rented from Allinclusive! Rent a Car ?