I am planning a trip to Europe with my girlfriend in May/June of 2013. I am hoping for some feedback on our possible itinerary as we continue to plan.
Time Frame: May 19 - June 10 (19-21 days)
Departing from: Detroit, MI
Countries interested In: Spain, Italy, France, Germany Switzerland
Goal: See a mix of European cities and European countryside/outdoors
We plan to pack light and keep our trip predominantly a backpacking one. We plan to stay in hostels, trains and bed & breakfasts. We would like to stay in a nicer hotel 1 or 2 days in the big cities.
Here are the places we are interested in:
-Southern French coastline
-Rhine River in Germany
Proposed route of travel:
-fly into Barcelona (3 days)
-travel by train along Southern French coast (? Nice) - explore region (3 days)
-travel to Italian Riveria ( Cinque Terre) to explore and hike (2-3 days)
-travel to Rome (3 days)
-travel to Switzerland ( scenic train route and hike countryside) (3days)
-travel to Germany (travel down Rhine river, see some castles) (2-3 days)
-travel to Paris (3 days)
-Fly out of Paris
Here are my questions:
(1) Does this itinerary seem too ambitious? If it is, we wouldn't mind dropping Paris for this trip. Or, if people think that Paris would be a better experience than some of our other places we don't mind adjusting our plan.
(2) I am not sure how we can take one of the scenic train routes in Switzerland (Bernina or Glacier Expresses) and get to do hiking also (Interlaken?). Would it be wise to give up 1? Is there a good path where we would be able to do both?
(3) After Switzerland, we want to swing up and travel down the Rhine and see some castles. Where would be some good places to start or stay? I've read people liked places like St Goar, Bacharach, Boppard to stay. Would it be more an inconvenience doing our river trip since we are coming South from Switzerland? Should we start our itinerary in Barcelona --> high speed train to Paris --> then swing down North to South down the Rhine?
Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you again!
Help with travel itinerary to western Europe for 3 weeks in May/June
- 1 New & Improved 2 Week Honeymoon Itinerary Italy
- 2 International Trains to Switzerland using Swiss Pass
- 3 2 days in Venice- where to stay –What to do- Help please!
- 4 Solo in Sicily - April 2013
- 5 My First Trip to Provence and Paris...Loved!!!
- 6 Wife's first trip to Europe. Set on Paris & Rome, Need 3rd destination?
- 7 Normandy on our own?
- 8 Paris in 8 days ALONE
- 9 Train tickets - Venice to Florence to Rome
- 10 Barcelona - eat, drink, dance.
- 11 The Adventure Begins.. Sarge56 in Italy
- 12 Alsace question. Itterswiller or Riquewihr, where to stay?
- 13 Paris May 23, 2013. What should I wear in Paris?
- 14 Tuscany Lodging - Ankhura vs. Terre di Nano
- 15 Ordering wine in Paris
- 16 Comfortable shoes to wear in Italy this summer and not look like a tourist
- 17 Essen and Nordrhein-Westfalen
- 18 When to exchange US dollars to Euros
- 19 Cinque terre or Como/Bellagio for day trip from milan?
- 20 Best way to get from Malaga to Gibraltar to Ceuta, Morocco?
- 21 Changing of the Guard
- 22 Florence & ____?____ with a 16 month old baby in September.
- 23 Where to stay in Glasgow and Edinburgh Scotland
- 24 FCO to Fast Train and Best way to travel back from Naples to Rome
- 25 UK Trip, Final Chapter