We had planned to go a couple of years ago and it fell through and I'm making another attempt for next summer. At this time it appears it will only be myself and my daughter, who will be 14 during the proposed dates. We live on the east coast of the U.S. so there will be some jet lag.
I plan to book a 6/1-6/8 W. Mediterranean cruise, but fly into Rome early to see the sites. I've read we should schedule some recovery for the time change, and then see what we can before our cruise departs. Assuming we fly back the same day the cruise ends, the earliest my work schedule would allow me to leave would be 5/24.
I've read other articles that it doesn't take more than a day or two to see Rome. So I'm wondering what else may be practical during that time window. I had thoughts of day trips from Rome to other areas of Italy via train, or perhaps stopping in London or Paris for a couple of days and then flying on to Rome. The only cruise other cruise port we would stop at in Italy would be Genoa.
Or perhaps that would be too hectic for us. The last time I looked at lodging in London or Paris I couldn't find anything reasonable for the short time we'd be in the area.
Any suggestions are appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Classical Tour of Albania
- 2 First visit to London
- 3 One day in Berchtesgaden - what should we see
- 4 Anniversary trip to France
- 5 First family holiday to Europe & wanting advice
- 6 Austria + Italy 10 Days places to visit in July
- 7 How Best to spend 13 days in Italy
- 8 Our recent CDG experience (Delta)
- 9 Where to stay - Honeymoon in Southern Tuscany
- 10 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Wine tours and Luberon Wine Producers
- 11 Two days in Rome
- 12 London is it worth it?
- 13 Ideas on our first Europe holiday
- 14 transportation from De Gaulle airport
- 15 NO Luggage Storage at Padua train station?
- 16 International drivers permit
- 17 First Timers Traveling to Italy - Help!
- 18 Driving Bruges to Paris. Is it worth the drive?
- 19 Seeking Scenic Route from Bath to Devon
- 20 Early morning flight Venice/VCE
- 21 Day Trip Suggestions from Munich
- 22 Train from Paris to Reims for day trip
- 23 itinerary recommendation 6 nights Spain (Barcelona/Madrid)
- 24 Naples + Walking Tour
- 25 Why do you visit X or Y?