We had planned to go a couple of years ago and it fell through and I'm making another attempt for next summer. At this time it appears it will only be myself and my daughter, who will be 14 during the proposed dates. We live on the east coast of the U.S. so there will be some jet lag.
I plan to book a 6/1-6/8 W. Mediterranean cruise, but fly into Rome early to see the sites. I've read we should schedule some recovery for the time change, and then see what we can before our cruise departs. Assuming we fly back the same day the cruise ends, the earliest my work schedule would allow me to leave would be 5/24.
I've read other articles that it doesn't take more than a day or two to see Rome. So I'm wondering what else may be practical during that time window. I had thoughts of day trips from Rome to other areas of Italy via train, or perhaps stopping in London or Paris for a couple of days and then flying on to Rome. The only cruise other cruise port we would stop at in Italy would be Genoa.
Or perhaps that would be too hectic for us. The last time I looked at lodging in London or Paris I couldn't find anything reasonable for the short time we'd be in the area.
Any suggestions are appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Driving in Corwall-The Nitty Gritty
- 2 Warsaw Pollution Reaches Record Highs...
- 3 Paris/Loire Valley than ?
- 4 Which cities are a must in Croatia, Bosnia&Herzegovina and Montenegro?
- 5 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 6 Krakow Day Trips - Renting a car vs. Taking a tour
- 7 3 weeks in Spain
- 8 4 days itinerary for France
- 9 ISO help planning a trip to England in May
- 10 Rent a car in England
- 11 tours/attractions worth paying for in Prague/Vienna/Budapest/Krakow
- 12 Can No Longer o a Road Trip in Europe - what's a better train trip?
- 13 EuropeTravel-Trivia Quiz #152
- 14 Iceland Itinerary Help
- 15 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 16 South of France - 7 Days - April
- 17 10 nights in Umbria before Rome- advice please
- 18 Our (Somewhat) Laid Back Tour of Old Fave Stops in Italy
- 19 2017 Easter in Italy
- 20 Iceland Trip Report: 9 Days in May - non Ring Road!
- 21 Please help me with the name of this town in Spain
- 22 kimhe or others - flamenco rec in Sevilla?
- 23 Edinburgh to Skye
- 24 Railpass or point-to-point tickets
- 25 Family first time Barcelona (where and how much ?)