We had planned to go a couple of years ago and it fell through and I'm making another attempt for next summer. At this time it appears it will only be myself and my daughter, who will be 14 during the proposed dates. We live on the east coast of the U.S. so there will be some jet lag.
I plan to book a 6/1-6/8 W. Mediterranean cruise, but fly into Rome early to see the sites. I've read we should schedule some recovery for the time change, and then see what we can before our cruise departs. Assuming we fly back the same day the cruise ends, the earliest my work schedule would allow me to leave would be 5/24.
I've read other articles that it doesn't take more than a day or two to see Rome. So I'm wondering what else may be practical during that time window. I had thoughts of day trips from Rome to other areas of Italy via train, or perhaps stopping in London or Paris for a couple of days and then flying on to Rome. The only cruise other cruise port we would stop at in Italy would be Genoa.
Or perhaps that would be too hectic for us. The last time I looked at lodging in London or Paris I couldn't find anything reasonable for the short time we'd be in the area.
Any suggestions are appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Daytime flights - US East Coast to Paris?
- 2 Driving Excursions/Day Trips outside of Edinburgh
- 3 Italian lakes
- 4 Upcoming trip to Penzance, Cornwall
- 5 3 Month Europe Itineray -- please critique
- 6 Trump alleged to be "keen" for US to join Commonwealth
- 7 14 days in Italy in late June with 6 adults + 6 little kids
- 8 France, UK and Ireland
- 9 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 10 One more day in Athens, any suggestions?
- 11 French theater in Paris
- 12 Fine-tuning Requested: Naxos, Santorini, Athens Itinerary
- 13 Not Gone From Memory Or From Love — The Western Front Revisited
- 14 Road trip from Naples to Basilicata, Puglia and Bari
- 15 Barcelona appartment is it a good location ?
- 16 bavaria itinerary in may with a 3 year old
- 17 Vacation near Lake Lugano and Lake Como
- 18 Menaggio/Varenna to St Moritz and back
- 19 Vatican Museums and Scavi Tour
- 20 What do after Bernia Express?
- 21 New notes and coins and death dates for old ones
- 22 Dinner get-together in Paris?
- 23 Walking itinerary in England?
- 24 Rouen Tour Companies
- 25 Best way to learn a foreign language?