I loved the thread by tcreath about a trip to Romania and wondered if I could get more input for our specific needs from those who have done it.
We're in Barcelona now.( Yep, we are that crazy family that has been traveling non-stop as for the last 5 years. ) We're relaxing a bit after some weeks of travel from Penang, Bangkok, Bhutan and Jordan.
BUT we have been invited to Romania for a friend's baby's christening. ( She is Romanian but lives and teaches law in the States).
We have been to Budapest briefly, but did not make it to Romania the year we planned it because I broke my arm in a bike wreck on the Danube in Melk. ( Needed surgery and it was paralyzed for a year)
So I am happy to get another chance.
I want to go in early August probably for two or thee weeks ( is that too long??) and we will probably fly into Budapest.
Train, plane or drive...that is one question. What do you think is the best and why?
Our 20th wedding anniversary is in late August so I want to be back to Budapest for that and possibly stay at the Four Seasons there.
The christening is in Sibiu.
What would you say are the most important things to see?
With a very sophisticated local as a friend we will have great advantages, but I also want to prepare and have some ideas of my own.
Love the feedback and food for thought that I get from the wise folks here at Fodors.
What would you do if you had two or three weeks in Romania. We tend to be frugal types who like to live large on little...so look for value.
Thanks in advance!!
Help with road trip from Budapest into Romania
- 1 Am I in an unsafe Parisian neighborhood?
- 2 Has anyone rented an apartment in Venice for 2-4 weeks?
- 3 Seville Cordoba and Grananda
- 4 Italy-Locarno or Stresa
- 5 1st, 6th or 7th in Paris
- 6 Good Base for Costa Brava Spain
- 7 I Need To Vent!
- 8 Help with itenerary
- 9 portugal
- 10 Train from Civitavecchia port to Rome
- 11 A chacun son goût
- 12 Swiss visit - Mürren for Berner Oberland and Chur? Sargans? for Engadin hub
- 13 A bit of Scotland, wing mirror casualty, 7 days in London, and a Fodors GTG
- 14 Brown Bear sites Slovenia
- 15 train from Krakow, Poland to Venice, Italy
- 16 Venice Hotel near Cruise Terminal
- 17 Extra leg room on British Airways
- 18 Advice Sought for Train Schedule in Spain
- 19 TR Provence, Israel, Switzerland, Italy..April 16 a day of AA infamy
- 20 Train from Dresden to Nueburg DO in July
- 21 Possible Itinerary in Romania?
- 22 Bulgaria or Romania next fall?
- 23 PARIS: apartment for a family of 4. Could use your help.
- 24 To Clifton, RE: Romania
- 25 private tour of Romania - would you recommend Carpathian Travel Center?