I’m just starting to plan a trip to Switzerland in Sept and was hoping for feedback on my plan so far.
I will be flying out from Australia to Zurich via Singapore. I’ll be flying back home from Rome after 2 weeks. I’d like to spend 10 days in Switzerland, ride the scenic trains and see a bit of the countryside, followed by a few days in Rome. I have been to Lucerne and Rome before. I would like to focus on the Berner Oberland region and somehow incorporate the Glacier Express and the Golden Pass trains. Buy the 15 day Swiss Pass (I haven’t actually worked out the cost of every trip) because it seems to be the most convenient way to go.
Day 1 Friday Arrive Zurich/rest/explore Zurich
Day 2 Saturday Train to Lauterbrunnen (via Bern)
Question – Should I explore Bern or head to Interlaken and explore Untersee? That way I can do both lakes on Day 5 or spend more time in the towns on Lake Thun?
Day 3 Sunday Jungfraujoch (Murren, Gimmelwald)
Day 4 Monday Schilthorn (Northface walk, Trummelbach Falls, Grindelwald)
Day 5 Tuesday Interlaken/Untersee/Lake Thun (I will change the plans for the days based on the weather in the Jungfrau region)
Day 6 Wednesday Train to Montreux (Golden Pass), explore Lake Geneva
Question – seems I can only reserve the VIP Panorama Golden Pass going from Zweisimmen to Montreux but not in the other direction? Is Montreux a good base or should I stay in to Lausanne?
Day 7 Thursday Montreux Chocolate train
Day 8 Friday Train to Zermatt
Day 9 Saturday Matterhorn
Question - options if the weather is bad?
Day 10 Sunday Train to Zurich (via Chur Glacier Express)
Day 11 Monday Fly to Rome
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Our European adventures
- 2 Eurotrip - Athens to Santorini
- 3 Help! American needs to get into Italy after staying >90 days
- 4 Going to Spain? Watch this movie.
- 5 Where to start Chiantigiana drive from Montepulciano?
- 6 Venice to Rome via Pisa in 1 day
- 7 Getting to CDG Airport from Le Marais
- 8 italy Cinque Terre and Lake Como
- 9 Spain Trip Report
- 10 How to spend a glorious week in Switzerland?
- 11 *Need help w/Puglia itinerary*
- 12 Orleans to Amboise on a Sunday
- 13 Paris Looses $846 Million in Tourism
- 14 Heat wave in Paris? Learn to live with it!
- 15 The annual Ganesha procession in Paris
- 16 Earthquake info for Perugia and Assisi
- 17 Trip Report: Bulgaria, Danube River cruise, and more, May 2016
- 18 Late October European trek/hike location suggestions
- 19 Iceland Trip Report - Very Long!
- 20 20 free days of Europe
- 21 CDG international flight
- 22 12 days europe
- 23 4 nights between Zeebrugge and Strasbourg
- 24 Budapest on a budget
- 25 Seville in late January