I’m just starting to plan a trip to Switzerland in Sept and was hoping for feedback on my plan so far.
I will be flying out from Australia to Zurich via Singapore. I’ll be flying back home from Rome after 2 weeks. I’d like to spend 10 days in Switzerland, ride the scenic trains and see a bit of the countryside, followed by a few days in Rome. I have been to Lucerne and Rome before. I would like to focus on the Berner Oberland region and somehow incorporate the Glacier Express and the Golden Pass trains. Buy the 15 day Swiss Pass (I haven’t actually worked out the cost of every trip) because it seems to be the most convenient way to go.
Day 1 Friday Arrive Zurich/rest/explore Zurich
Day 2 Saturday Train to Lauterbrunnen (via Bern)
Question – Should I explore Bern or head to Interlaken and explore Untersee? That way I can do both lakes on Day 5 or spend more time in the towns on Lake Thun?
Day 3 Sunday Jungfraujoch (Murren, Gimmelwald)
Day 4 Monday Schilthorn (Northface walk, Trummelbach Falls, Grindelwald)
Day 5 Tuesday Interlaken/Untersee/Lake Thun (I will change the plans for the days based on the weather in the Jungfrau region)
Day 6 Wednesday Train to Montreux (Golden Pass), explore Lake Geneva
Question – seems I can only reserve the VIP Panorama Golden Pass going from Zweisimmen to Montreux but not in the other direction? Is Montreux a good base or should I stay in to Lausanne?
Day 7 Thursday Montreux Chocolate train
Day 8 Friday Train to Zermatt
Day 9 Saturday Matterhorn
Question - options if the weather is bad?
Day 10 Sunday Train to Zurich (via Chur Glacier Express)
Day 11 Monday Fly to Rome
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Update on Bob the Navigator
- 2 What one thing in Paris?
- 3 Help with air/train logistics in U.K.!
- 4 Paris for Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve
- 5 Rue des Rosiers
- 6 Celebrating Christmas Early...in Vienna!
- 7 Christmas Market-ing in the Salzkammergut
- 8 First Trip to Europe!
- 9 Switzerland in mid-April
- 10 sfo to europe
- 11 A couple of questions which are not quite answered
- 12 Handicap Assistance at Charles de Gaulle - Our Experience
- 13 Snakes on a Plane? Our Thanksgiving in Paris!
- 14 How a Greek DIY expert ended up on a Greek Island Cruise
- 15 Scotland itinerary, helm me with15 night itinerary
- 16 Visiting Turkey for Fun and Adventure, Oasis or Chaos
- 17 Help Planning Spain Itinerary
- 18 Car rental leaving Rome
- 19 Critique my Budapest itinerary please!
- 20 Trip Report - Croatia, Sept 22 -Oct 12 (Slovenia, Bosnia..)
- 21 Normandy and England in November Trip Planning
- 22 Stay in El Born, in Barcelona, and getting to the Languedoc, France
- 23 A Walk in Tuscany, New Places to Discover, & A Life Time of memories
- 24 Purchasing Italian train tickets from USA!
- 25 CAPITALIZING ON THE CAPITALS: Central Europe