I’m just starting to plan a trip to Switzerland in Sept and was hoping for feedback on my plan so far.
I will be flying out from Australia to Zurich via Singapore. I’ll be flying back home from Rome after 2 weeks. I’d like to spend 10 days in Switzerland, ride the scenic trains and see a bit of the countryside, followed by a few days in Rome. I have been to Lucerne and Rome before. I would like to focus on the Berner Oberland region and somehow incorporate the Glacier Express and the Golden Pass trains. Buy the 15 day Swiss Pass (I haven’t actually worked out the cost of every trip) because it seems to be the most convenient way to go.
Day 1 Friday Arrive Zurich/rest/explore Zurich
Day 2 Saturday Train to Lauterbrunnen (via Bern)
Question – Should I explore Bern or head to Interlaken and explore Untersee? That way I can do both lakes on Day 5 or spend more time in the towns on Lake Thun?
Day 3 Sunday Jungfraujoch (Murren, Gimmelwald)
Day 4 Monday Schilthorn (Northface walk, Trummelbach Falls, Grindelwald)
Day 5 Tuesday Interlaken/Untersee/Lake Thun (I will change the plans for the days based on the weather in the Jungfrau region)
Day 6 Wednesday Train to Montreux (Golden Pass), explore Lake Geneva
Question – seems I can only reserve the VIP Panorama Golden Pass going from Zweisimmen to Montreux but not in the other direction? Is Montreux a good base or should I stay in to Lausanne?
Day 7 Thursday Montreux Chocolate train
Day 8 Friday Train to Zermatt
Day 9 Saturday Matterhorn
Question - options if the weather is bad?
Day 10 Sunday Train to Zurich (via Chur Glacier Express)
Day 11 Monday Fly to Rome
Help with my Switzerland plan please
- 1 Cuenca or Toledo
- 2 Last monte Paris apartment
- 3 Berlin's New Barbie Dreamhouse Opens to Feminists' Protests
- 4 Wimpy's
- 5 HELP stuck in Italy
- 6 Accommodation in Lauterbrunnen
- 7 Train from Amsterdam to Bruges
- 8 Going to London for the first time at the end of May ALONE
- 9 large supermarket in Munich - where?
- 10 Venice Hotel near Cruise Terminal
- 11 10 days in Cortona- any suggestions ?
- 12 Solo in Sicily - April 2013
- 13 ? re hotels in 5 terre
- 14 Places to stay for a tour of Normandy
- 15 Solo Female First Time Traveler - Scared to Death
- 16 Transportation from Venice Island to Treviso Airport?
- 17 Nice
- 18 charming small French city for weeklong stay?
- 19 Beatiful place near Aix-en-Provence or not too far from St Paul de Vence
- 20 I Need To Vent!
- 21 Should We Do Segovia With only 2 1/2 Days in Madrid?
- 22 TR Provence, Israel, Switzerland, Italy..April 16 a day of AA infamy
- 23 Train tickets
- 24 San Lorenzo Market
- 25 Oceania Cruises - Anyone ever gone on one of these?