I’m just starting to plan a trip to Switzerland in Sept and was hoping for feedback on my plan so far.
I will be flying out from Australia to Zurich via Singapore. I’ll be flying back home from Rome after 2 weeks. I’d like to spend 10 days in Switzerland, ride the scenic trains and see a bit of the countryside, followed by a few days in Rome. I have been to Lucerne and Rome before. I would like to focus on the Berner Oberland region and somehow incorporate the Glacier Express and the Golden Pass trains. Buy the 15 day Swiss Pass (I haven’t actually worked out the cost of every trip) because it seems to be the most convenient way to go.
Day 1 Friday Arrive Zurich/rest/explore Zurich
Day 2 Saturday Train to Lauterbrunnen (via Bern)
Question – Should I explore Bern or head to Interlaken and explore Untersee? That way I can do both lakes on Day 5 or spend more time in the towns on Lake Thun?
Day 3 Sunday Jungfraujoch (Murren, Gimmelwald)
Day 4 Monday Schilthorn (Northface walk, Trummelbach Falls, Grindelwald)
Day 5 Tuesday Interlaken/Untersee/Lake Thun (I will change the plans for the days based on the weather in the Jungfrau region)
Day 6 Wednesday Train to Montreux (Golden Pass), explore Lake Geneva
Question – seems I can only reserve the VIP Panorama Golden Pass going from Zweisimmen to Montreux but not in the other direction? Is Montreux a good base or should I stay in to Lausanne?
Day 7 Thursday Montreux Chocolate train
Day 8 Friday Train to Zermatt
Day 9 Saturday Matterhorn
Question - options if the weather is bad?
Day 10 Sunday Train to Zurich (via Chur Glacier Express)
Day 11 Monday Fly to Rome
Help with my Switzerland plan please
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Quickest Way from Vienna to Prague
- 2 Cilento, Calabria and Basilicata: Help fill in a few blanks for us
- 3 Apartments in Jun/Jul in Rome, Venice, Florence (family of 5)
- 4 Renting a car in Ireland - pick up/off at Dublin airport or city center?
- 5 Spain Questions
- 6 Cute hotel in Venice (San Marco) for around $150USD
- 7 Will I be able to add minutes to the phone I bought in Spain 3 years ago?
- 8 York, Lakes District in early May good choice? Or Elsewhere?
- 9 Apartment in Rome - location opinions please
- 10 Train ticket dilemma from Zurich to Milan
- 11 Dublin Hostels
- 12 Avignon to London?
- 13 England/Scotland/Wales Planning-Summr 2014
- 14 Transportation from Peisey Vallandry to Paris
- 15 Siena or Bologna day trip from Florence?
- 16 Berlin & Budapest for 8 days
- 17 Prague 3 nights - Top 10 things to do
- 18 Amsterdam -Belgium -Germany -Amsterdam
- 19 Need Advice for my first family to Europe
- 20 From CDG to the Seventh?
- 21 Ireland and the UK Itinerary Advice
- 22 Better to return car in Orvieto or airport Fiumicino (in Rome)
- 23 Any suggestions for accomodations in Venice Italy mid June?
- 24 Boulevard Saint Germain from start to finish
- 25 Traveling to Munich