I’m just starting to plan a trip to Switzerland in Sept and was hoping for feedback on my plan so far.
I will be flying out from Australia to Zurich via Singapore. I’ll be flying back home from Rome after 2 weeks. I’d like to spend 10 days in Switzerland, ride the scenic trains and see a bit of the countryside, followed by a few days in Rome. I have been to Lucerne and Rome before. I would like to focus on the Berner Oberland region and somehow incorporate the Glacier Express and the Golden Pass trains. Buy the 15 day Swiss Pass (I haven’t actually worked out the cost of every trip) because it seems to be the most convenient way to go.
Day 1 Friday Arrive Zurich/rest/explore Zurich
Day 2 Saturday Train to Lauterbrunnen (via Bern)
Question – Should I explore Bern or head to Interlaken and explore Untersee? That way I can do both lakes on Day 5 or spend more time in the towns on Lake Thun?
Day 3 Sunday Jungfraujoch (Murren, Gimmelwald)
Day 4 Monday Schilthorn (Northface walk, Trummelbach Falls, Grindelwald)
Day 5 Tuesday Interlaken/Untersee/Lake Thun (I will change the plans for the days based on the weather in the Jungfrau region)
Day 6 Wednesday Train to Montreux (Golden Pass), explore Lake Geneva
Question – seems I can only reserve the VIP Panorama Golden Pass going from Zweisimmen to Montreux but not in the other direction? Is Montreux a good base or should I stay in to Lausanne?
Day 7 Thursday Montreux Chocolate train
Day 8 Friday Train to Zermatt
Day 9 Saturday Matterhorn
Question - options if the weather is bad?
Day 10 Sunday Train to Zurich (via Chur Glacier Express)
Day 11 Monday Fly to Rome
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 7 Days, 7 Counties, 3 Generations Southwest Sampler
- 2 Lisbon
- 3 If you can travel anywhere, Where would you travel?
- 4 Paris Visite pass
- 5 Referendum in Greece
- 6 First trip to Ireland--won't be the last!
- 7 Amalfi Coast restaurants...are dinner reservations a must?
- 8 short trip klon to koblenz
- 9 Barcelona Itinerary
- 10 Trip Report: Bellagio, Milan, Venice, Cinque Terre and Piedmont
- 11 Travel tips for Budapest-July 2016
- 12 Switzeraland Iternary
- 13 Barcelona sites: attire
- 14 Two-week itinerary, Barcelona + Madrid + Andalucia
- 15 barcelona
- 16 Amsterdam & Paris in peak season
- 17 Girona to Torla-where to stay along the way
- 18 Driving Itinerary in Austria Advice Please
- 19 Train Travel in Germany
- 20 Castle Hunters on HGTV - anyone watch?
- 21 Italy with kids - lost in the wilderness of planning - please help
- 22 Advice on Tuscan hilltowns itinerary
- 23 Texans Take a Tour
- 24 6 nights in Portugal? Suggestions?
- 25 Puglia, where to stay for 8 days or so