I’m just starting to plan a trip to Switzerland in Sept and was hoping for feedback on my plan so far.
I will be flying out from Australia to Zurich via Singapore. I’ll be flying back home from Rome after 2 weeks. I’d like to spend 10 days in Switzerland, ride the scenic trains and see a bit of the countryside, followed by a few days in Rome. I have been to Lucerne and Rome before. I would like to focus on the Berner Oberland region and somehow incorporate the Glacier Express and the Golden Pass trains. Buy the 15 day Swiss Pass (I haven’t actually worked out the cost of every trip) because it seems to be the most convenient way to go.
Day 1 Friday Arrive Zurich/rest/explore Zurich
Day 2 Saturday Train to Lauterbrunnen (via Bern)
Question – Should I explore Bern or head to Interlaken and explore Untersee? That way I can do both lakes on Day 5 or spend more time in the towns on Lake Thun?
Day 3 Sunday Jungfraujoch (Murren, Gimmelwald)
Day 4 Monday Schilthorn (Northface walk, Trummelbach Falls, Grindelwald)
Day 5 Tuesday Interlaken/Untersee/Lake Thun (I will change the plans for the days based on the weather in the Jungfrau region)
Day 6 Wednesday Train to Montreux (Golden Pass), explore Lake Geneva
Question – seems I can only reserve the VIP Panorama Golden Pass going from Zweisimmen to Montreux but not in the other direction? Is Montreux a good base or should I stay in to Lausanne?
Day 7 Thursday Montreux Chocolate train
Day 8 Friday Train to Zermatt
Day 9 Saturday Matterhorn
Question - options if the weather is bad?
Day 10 Sunday Train to Zurich (via Chur Glacier Express)
Day 11 Monday Fly to Rome
Help with my Switzerland plan please
- 1 Turkey Experts: Need Itinerary help - mostly with order of trip
- 2 Two weeks in Northern Italy - what do you think of our outline?
- 3 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome
- 4 Venice in Jan
- 5 New to Fodors: Please help with beginning stages of husband/wife trip
- 6 20 day Backpacking Trip
- 7 One more last question on Bayeux
- 8 Euro Train
- 9 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 10 How early to get to CDG
- 11 Home from Rome - a trip report
- 12 When to visit Provence updated info
- 13 Berlin
- 14 Unique excursion/experience in Paris
- 15 Three for the road
- 16 Need advice Best European city for New Year celebration
- 17 Scotland this summer - some initial planning questions
- 18 A still, a hooker and a Dodo bird. Paris and Oberkirch.
- 19 Where to stop on Italy's west coast
- 20 5 days in Granada - Seville?
- 21 Alps/countryside off the beaten path suggestion - daytrip near Zurich
- 22 "It Will Rain Tomorrow." England Weathers The MaiTai Four.
- 23 Trip Report - Fringe Movements
- 24 Barcelona: Sagrada Familia: which tower to go up?
- 25 Naples report - including staying in the centro storico