I’m just starting to plan a trip to Switzerland in Sept and was hoping for feedback on my plan so far.
I will be flying out from Australia to Zurich via Singapore. I’ll be flying back home from Rome after 2 weeks. I’d like to spend 10 days in Switzerland, ride the scenic trains and see a bit of the countryside, followed by a few days in Rome. I have been to Lucerne and Rome before. I would like to focus on the Berner Oberland region and somehow incorporate the Glacier Express and the Golden Pass trains. Buy the 15 day Swiss Pass (I haven’t actually worked out the cost of every trip) because it seems to be the most convenient way to go.
Day 1 Friday Arrive Zurich/rest/explore Zurich
Day 2 Saturday Train to Lauterbrunnen (via Bern)
Question – Should I explore Bern or head to Interlaken and explore Untersee? That way I can do both lakes on Day 5 or spend more time in the towns on Lake Thun?
Day 3 Sunday Jungfraujoch (Murren, Gimmelwald)
Day 4 Monday Schilthorn (Northface walk, Trummelbach Falls, Grindelwald)
Day 5 Tuesday Interlaken/Untersee/Lake Thun (I will change the plans for the days based on the weather in the Jungfrau region)
Day 6 Wednesday Train to Montreux (Golden Pass), explore Lake Geneva
Question – seems I can only reserve the VIP Panorama Golden Pass going from Zweisimmen to Montreux but not in the other direction? Is Montreux a good base or should I stay in to Lausanne?
Day 7 Thursday Montreux Chocolate train
Day 8 Friday Train to Zermatt
Day 9 Saturday Matterhorn
Question - options if the weather is bad?
Day 10 Sunday Train to Zurich (via Chur Glacier Express)
Day 11 Monday Fly to Rome
Help with my Switzerland plan please
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Greece and Italy in 20 days
- 2 Help with itinerary for girls trip to Swizterland
- 3 Sicily in a winter
- 4 8 Days in Switzerland for the non skier
- 5 Italy 2015: making the internal plans
- 6 Eastern Europe
- 7 Taormina Sicily
- 8 Tripadvisor fined in Italy over fake reviews
- 9 Solo, inexperienced traveler struggling w/ logistics
- 10 Scuol, Switzerland
- 11 All Set To Go!!
- 12 Istanbul Bosphorus Tour
- 13 For those interested in visiting WW I sites in France
- 14 Two Weeks in France, reposting TR
- 15 Best Area to Stay in Amsterdam
- 16 Guidebook for Iceland
- 17 visa question
- 18 caroline_venezia
- 19 A Sardinia trip report
- 20 Granada
- 21 VAT refund Q--new carryon bag ??
- 22 Finally in Italy for the holidays - installment report
- 23 First time to Switzerland
- 24 Side trip from Chamonix in January
- 25 Romantic Greece and Exciting Turkey : 2011 Trip Report