I’m just starting to plan a trip to Switzerland in Sept and was hoping for feedback on my plan so far.
I will be flying out from Australia to Zurich via Singapore. I’ll be flying back home from Rome after 2 weeks. I’d like to spend 10 days in Switzerland, ride the scenic trains and see a bit of the countryside, followed by a few days in Rome. I have been to Lucerne and Rome before. I would like to focus on the Berner Oberland region and somehow incorporate the Glacier Express and the Golden Pass trains. Buy the 15 day Swiss Pass (I haven’t actually worked out the cost of every trip) because it seems to be the most convenient way to go.
Day 1 Friday Arrive Zurich/rest/explore Zurich
Day 2 Saturday Train to Lauterbrunnen (via Bern)
Question – Should I explore Bern or head to Interlaken and explore Untersee? That way I can do both lakes on Day 5 or spend more time in the towns on Lake Thun?
Day 3 Sunday Jungfraujoch (Murren, Gimmelwald)
Day 4 Monday Schilthorn (Northface walk, Trummelbach Falls, Grindelwald)
Day 5 Tuesday Interlaken/Untersee/Lake Thun (I will change the plans for the days based on the weather in the Jungfrau region)
Day 6 Wednesday Train to Montreux (Golden Pass), explore Lake Geneva
Question – seems I can only reserve the VIP Panorama Golden Pass going from Zweisimmen to Montreux but not in the other direction? Is Montreux a good base or should I stay in to Lausanne?
Day 7 Thursday Montreux Chocolate train
Day 8 Friday Train to Zermatt
Day 9 Saturday Matterhorn
Question - options if the weather is bad?
Day 10 Sunday Train to Zurich (via Chur Glacier Express)
Day 11 Monday Fly to Rome
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 travelling to Munich and Paris without pre hotel booking
- 2 The Princess Diaries: My Three Week Odyssey In Poland And Romania
- 3 My trip to Cornwall, bookended by weekends in London
- 4 Planning a self drive tour of the uk next april
- 5 14 nights in Europe
- 6 Holiday trip with kids - suggestions please!
- 7 Naples, Amalfi coast and Puglia - suggestions please.
- 8 Croatia-Slovenia- 30 days Road trip itinerary-2017
- 9 Ger's Trip to Rome & Bologna
- 10 French immersion courses in France
- 11 Munich
- 12 Planning 20th anniversary 1st trip to Italy Feb 2017.
- 13 Bologna, Florence, Venice 5 days
- 14 Swiss Pass dilemma
- 15 10 Days in Greece @ End of June
- 16 did anyone familiar with p-airbus for airport transportation?
- 17 CDG airport
- 18 Thello night train from Paris to Rome?
- 19 Europe in the Winter for a week
- 20 Thoughts on an unusual itinerary for Northern Spain please
- 21 Portugal itinerary help
- 22 Eiffel Tower Fireworks Photos July 14th
- 23 Visa for one Schengen Country, and traveling with EU spouse and children
- 24 What type of visa is right for me?
- 25 Malaga Hotels - which one should I choose?