I’m just starting to plan a trip to Switzerland in Sept and was hoping for feedback on my plan so far.
I will be flying out from Australia to Zurich via Singapore. I’ll be flying back home from Rome after 2 weeks. I’d like to spend 10 days in Switzerland, ride the scenic trains and see a bit of the countryside, followed by a few days in Rome. I have been to Lucerne and Rome before. I would like to focus on the Berner Oberland region and somehow incorporate the Glacier Express and the Golden Pass trains. Buy the 15 day Swiss Pass (I haven’t actually worked out the cost of every trip) because it seems to be the most convenient way to go.
Day 1 Friday Arrive Zurich/rest/explore Zurich
Day 2 Saturday Train to Lauterbrunnen (via Bern)
Question – Should I explore Bern or head to Interlaken and explore Untersee? That way I can do both lakes on Day 5 or spend more time in the towns on Lake Thun?
Day 3 Sunday Jungfraujoch (Murren, Gimmelwald)
Day 4 Monday Schilthorn (Northface walk, Trummelbach Falls, Grindelwald)
Day 5 Tuesday Interlaken/Untersee/Lake Thun (I will change the plans for the days based on the weather in the Jungfrau region)
Day 6 Wednesday Train to Montreux (Golden Pass), explore Lake Geneva
Question – seems I can only reserve the VIP Panorama Golden Pass going from Zweisimmen to Montreux but not in the other direction? Is Montreux a good base or should I stay in to Lausanne?
Day 7 Thursday Montreux Chocolate train
Day 8 Friday Train to Zermatt
Day 9 Saturday Matterhorn
Question - options if the weather is bad?
Day 10 Sunday Train to Zurich (via Chur Glacier Express)
Day 11 Monday Fly to Rome
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 2 Juangfrau / mt
- 3 Surprise trip to Greece!
- 4 please help me plan first trip to europe
- 5 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 6 Switzerland
- 7 Paris to Nice - 4x 50 somethings and 5 nights - what to do!
- 8 Questions about Polish sights
- 9 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 10 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 11 Recommendations for meandering travel this fall in Spain and Portugal
- 12 If you had to choose one......
- 13 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 14 Ireland travel passport question
- 15 Italy
- 16 10 nights in Umbria before Rome- advice please
- 17 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 18 Revised itinerary for italy
- 19 Polish: Enough Indo-European Similarity to Make Picking up Words Easier?
- 20 Iceland 9 Days Late March - Review Itinerary!
- 21 Biarritz family holiday
- 22 Lisbon hotel
- 23 Trip route from Paris to Venice
- 24 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 25 Marksburg Castle Transport Question