I am currently trying to plan a surprise 10 year anniversary trip to Italy for my boyfriend and I'm not sure where to go/stay. I've changed my plans 4 times now and I'm completely lost and not sure what to do.
Two places I know I will be booking: Sardinia and Paris.
We are going for 27 days total. July 7 or 8 until the 30th of July. We will spend 6-7 days in sardinia, unless that is overkill, suggestions appreciated on this one! Ive chosen the emerald coast in sardinia so far.
I was really hoping to do the almafi coast but not really sure where to choose for a base and not sure if we can do Florence and Rome if we go to the coast. Should we rent a car for a portion of our trip and enjoy the drive between places or stick to the trains? I know you have to get an International Driving permit. Will driving drain us and take too much time? I'm completely fine taking it slow and sticking to a few places.
I'm hearing many conflicting things about how much time is needed in Rome and Florence. I'm not interested in staying in a new place every other night. I want home bases that we can take 1-2 hour train rides from to enjoy other parts of Italy. However, I really don't know if this is possible. I'm also not sure if we should rent a make out way down from florence to the coast and leave the car once we get to the coast.
Another option is to forgo the Amalfi coast all together since we're already going to sardinia and concentrating on the northern part of italy and ending in Rome so we can fly to Sardinia. Ending in Rome is essential so we can get to Sardinia by plane. Unless Ive completely looked over something, again suggestions would be much appreciated.
Right now I'm thinking we fly into Milan take a train to Lake Como for 2-3 days (again not sure how long to spend anywhere this is a recurring theme) then take a train Bologna for the day (should we stay the night?) and then train to Florence and then a train to Rome. Fly from Rome to Sardina. Will 11 days be enough to do everything before we go to Sardinia. Are there other places we should go instead? Could someone suggest a better itinerary or how long to visit these places? The more research Ive done the more lost I've become.
Or should we just do Florence, Rome, Amalfi coast, Sardinia? Or skip Amalfi and go to Puglia?
If there are places we should skip or other places we should go to please let me know your opinion.
I think our ideal trip would be to RELAX and not feel like we are back packing across Italy. We want to enjoy our time eating great local food, especially sea urchin. We want to see beautiful places and art, architecture and some sight seeing. Sight seeing is NOT a huge priority to us usually. Ive been to paris 5 times and never once have been up the eiffel tower, I've walked past it and that was enough. Knowing how much Rome has to offer is exciting but seems exhausting and we won't be bummed if we miss out on some things because I know we can always go back. We also aren't looking for night life partying, but instead great atmosphere where we can walk to get dinner and dessert and just sit and enjoy our surroundings. I'm not into grittier cities either
Again, I'm looking to see beautiful Italy and eat great food. I'm open to smaller cities and day trips but I don't want to take repack and take my luggage every time. So day trips and good bases are what I'm hoping someone can help me with.
I feel like I'm over looking somewhere or making bad choices on where to go. If anyone has a better idea of where to go and how to stay please let me know where to make changes. I'm open to anything at this point!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Parma/strasbourg or frankfurt???
- 2 vegetarian in spain
- 3 Springtime (Hopefully) in Copenhagen
- 4 Madrid Hotel; Europa, Preciados or Petit Palace Posada de Peine?
- 5 How early in the spring to visit London & England?
- 6 Transferring from LCY to LHR . PLEASE HELP
- 7 Driving from Munich to Barcelona
- 8 Provence best farmstays!!??
- 9 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 10 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 11 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 12 Madrid airport question
- 13 Overnight in Montpellier?
- 14 June Festivals in Lisbon?
- 15 4 Nights - Bern/Grindelwald / Interlaken / Lucerne
- 16 question on Barcelona itinerary
- 17 Imbros Gorge
- 18 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 19 4 Days In Northern Italy advice
- 20 Suggestions needed for our trip to Austria & Switzerland in October
- 21 Sunday and Monday in Provence area
- 22 Alitalia - Groundhog Day?
- 23 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 24 Corpus Christi in Toledo?
- 25 38 Days in Paris