I am a woman in my late 20's and am planning my first trip to Europe since I studied abroad in Finland during college. I love art/architecture/culture/history. I am not into the party life.
I am traveling to Italy this fall for the first time. For the bulk of my trip, I will be on a 8 night hiking/biking tour of the Amalfi Coast. Through the organized group tour Ciclismo Classico, I am staying in Positano 3 nights, Ravello 2 nights and S. Maria del Castellabate 3 nights. I have already placed my deposit on the tour, so this cannot change. The rest of the time, I will be solo.
Things the tour covers: tons of hiking/biking through Positano, Ravello, Paestum, Capri and more, Villa Jovis, Villa Cimbrone gardens, Paestum Greek temples
Things the tour does not cover that I am interested in: major cities and their museums, Pompeii/Herculaneum
My question is what I should do with my remaining time in Italy (an extra 6-7 days)? I am coming from the US, and have yet to make my flight. I have requested the time off work, but if it would help to adjust my dates around the tour I could change it so that all my solo time is at the beginning of the trip.
The following Itinerary is all Rome and Southern Italy. I feel like I might be able to fit another major city in there--maybe Florence, but I am not sure. It seems like there is a lot to do in Rome.
Wednesday, October 5th: Board plane from USA to Italy
Thursday, October 6th: Arrive morning in Italy; either arrive into Rome and catch a train to Naples directly, or fly into Naples, spend night in Naples
Friday, October 7th: See Pompeii and/or Herculaneum; spend night in Naples
Saturday, October 8th: Join tour group at Salerno train station at 12 pm for transfer to Positano
Sunday, October 9th - Saturday, October 15th: Hiking/biking tour
Sunday, October 16th: Leave tour group at Agropolis train station in the morning; travel to Rome. Intro walking tour of Rome. Overnight in Rome near Spanish Steps.
Monday, October 17th: Rome; Colosseum/Forum/Palatine Hill
Tuesday, October 18th: Rome: Vatican visit
Wednesday, October 19th: Rome: Borghese Gallery and Gardens
Thursday, October 20th: Day trip somewhere/catch a plane in Rome to the USA early??
Friday, October 21st: Catch a plane to the USA
Thanks for any feedback/help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Not a good time to fly into LGW
- 2 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 3 Vienna, Austria for 5 days in early June
- 4 The Mystic East - a tale of hot food, hot weather, airmiles and imodium.
- 5 IRELAND Magical Time-lapse Mediation of County Kerry Ireland
- 6 Madrid and Granada in Jan
- 7 Full day in Sintra..what to focus on
- 8 Six Nights (and days) in the Marais
- 9 Another tipping question: concierges
- 10 Boston to Le Marche - which airport?
- 11 Barcelona - How much Gaudi?
- 12 Ideas for small group tour - Southern Spain
- 13 Spain in July
- 14 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 15 Acropolis Athens
- 16 Help!! 2 week Europe trip with 6 year old daughter in December!!
- 17 Travel options from Budapest to Zagreb
- 18 Paris + Amsterdam: where to stay
- 19 Ferry - Dubrovnik to Bari - Cabins
- 20 We're here!
- 21 5 days near Munich, Germany in late-May
- 22 Trip Ideas
- 23 Versailles tour with evening light show
- 24 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 25 Input on Itinerary for Visit to Bavaria and Austria Fall 2017