I am a woman in my late 20's and am planning my first trip to Europe since I studied abroad in Finland during college. I love art/architecture/culture/history. I am not into the party life.
I am traveling to Italy this fall for the first time. For the bulk of my trip, I will be on a 8 night hiking/biking tour of the Amalfi Coast. Through the organized group tour Ciclismo Classico, I am staying in Positano 3 nights, Ravello 2 nights and S. Maria del Castellabate 3 nights. I have already placed my deposit on the tour, so this cannot change. The rest of the time, I will be solo.
Things the tour covers: tons of hiking/biking through Positano, Ravello, Paestum, Capri and more, Villa Jovis, Villa Cimbrone gardens, Paestum Greek temples
Things the tour does not cover that I am interested in: major cities and their museums, Pompeii/Herculaneum
My question is what I should do with my remaining time in Italy (an extra 6-7 days)? I am coming from the US, and have yet to make my flight. I have requested the time off work, but if it would help to adjust my dates around the tour I could change it so that all my solo time is at the beginning of the trip.
The following Itinerary is all Rome and Southern Italy. I feel like I might be able to fit another major city in there--maybe Florence, but I am not sure. It seems like there is a lot to do in Rome.
Wednesday, October 5th: Board plane from USA to Italy
Thursday, October 6th: Arrive morning in Italy; either arrive into Rome and catch a train to Naples directly, or fly into Naples, spend night in Naples
Friday, October 7th: See Pompeii and/or Herculaneum; spend night in Naples
Saturday, October 8th: Join tour group at Salerno train station at 12 pm for transfer to Positano
Sunday, October 9th - Saturday, October 15th: Hiking/biking tour
Sunday, October 16th: Leave tour group at Agropolis train station in the morning; travel to Rome. Intro walking tour of Rome. Overnight in Rome near Spanish Steps.
Monday, October 17th: Rome; Colosseum/Forum/Palatine Hill
Tuesday, October 18th: Rome: Vatican visit
Wednesday, October 19th: Rome: Borghese Gallery and Gardens
Thursday, October 20th: Day trip somewhere/catch a plane in Rome to the USA early??
Friday, October 21st: Catch a plane to the USA
Thanks for any feedback/help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Arenalullring area Seville?
- 2 Itinerary between Milan and Venice
- 3 Zurich to Milan trip
- 4 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg
- 5 Lodging in Lauterbrunnen and Grindenwald in October
- 6 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 7 italy Cinque Terre
- 8 Paris Neighborhood Help
- 9 Just the wine list please and Daisy came too.
- 10 San Sebastián
- 11 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 12 Northern Ireland ideas
- 13 Question about Loire Valley châteaux
- 14 Spanish Medical Providers
- 15 Belgium Itinerary
- 16 Give 2 1/2 Days to Porto or 1 1/2 Days with Day Trip to Coimbra?
- 17 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 18 wondering if this trip too ambitious
- 19 Driving through Paris
- 20 Can parking
- 21 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 22 Ambitious 1st time trip through Europe whilst pregnant??
- 23 Barcelona - Safety/Language/Trip Ideas
- 24 Electrical Power Conversion
- 25 Need help with Honeymoon - Italy, Slovenia, Croatia