I am a woman in my late 20's and am planning my first trip to Europe since I studied abroad in Finland during college. I love art/architecture/culture/history. I am not into the party life.
I am traveling to Italy this fall for the first time. For the bulk of my trip, I will be on a 8 night hiking/biking tour of the Amalfi Coast. Through the organized group tour Ciclismo Classico, I am staying in Positano 3 nights, Ravello 2 nights and S. Maria del Castellabate 3 nights. I have already placed my deposit on the tour, so this cannot change. The rest of the time, I will be solo.
Things the tour covers: tons of hiking/biking through Positano, Ravello, Paestum, Capri and more, Villa Jovis, Villa Cimbrone gardens, Paestum Greek temples
Things the tour does not cover that I am interested in: major cities and their museums, Pompeii/Herculaneum
My question is what I should do with my remaining time in Italy (an extra 6-7 days)? I am coming from the US, and have yet to make my flight. I have requested the time off work, but if it would help to adjust my dates around the tour I could change it so that all my solo time is at the beginning of the trip.
The following Itinerary is all Rome and Southern Italy. I feel like I might be able to fit another major city in there--maybe Florence, but I am not sure. It seems like there is a lot to do in Rome.
Wednesday, October 5th: Board plane from USA to Italy
Thursday, October 6th: Arrive morning in Italy; either arrive into Rome and catch a train to Naples directly, or fly into Naples, spend night in Naples
Friday, October 7th: See Pompeii and/or Herculaneum; spend night in Naples
Saturday, October 8th: Join tour group at Salerno train station at 12 pm for transfer to Positano
Sunday, October 9th - Saturday, October 15th: Hiking/biking tour
Sunday, October 16th: Leave tour group at Agropolis train station in the morning; travel to Rome. Intro walking tour of Rome. Overnight in Rome near Spanish Steps.
Monday, October 17th: Rome; Colosseum/Forum/Palatine Hill
Tuesday, October 18th: Rome: Vatican visit
Wednesday, October 19th: Rome: Borghese Gallery and Gardens
Thursday, October 20th: Day trip somewhere/catch a plane in Rome to the USA early??
Friday, October 21st: Catch a plane to the USA
Thanks for any feedback/help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Specific phone service questions about Italy & Amsterdam
- 2 Reindeer Migration on NRK
- 3 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 4 4 Days In Northern Italy advice
- 5 San Francisco retirees would like to move to Paris for a year- crazy idea?
- 6 Where to go...one month w/a one year old
- 7 Help needed/wanted to central/east Europe
- 8 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 9 Train in Switzerland from Basel to Zermatt to Zurich
- 10 Neighborhood for Dubrovnik
- 11 Where to stay in September in the Swiss Alps
- 12 Venice > Garda > Verona > Bologna thoughts
- 13 Summer 2016: Little details I worried about – and need not have
- 14 Help required with Itinerary
- 15 Como Bus to Bellagio
- 16 Are there any Paris walking guides I should add to my collection?
- 17 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 18 Itinerary review from a overplanner
- 19 Campervan in Croatia
- 20 Greek Islands (small)
- 21 How early in the spring to visit London & England?
- 22 Cell Phone Question
- 23 Which is the cheapest country (and gorgeous) in Europe?
- 24 Advice for 5 Weeks in the Nordic Countries
- 25 K-Day