We are a group of 09 adults (some senior citizens) traveling to Germany, Switzerland and France between 08-20Nov, 2012.
I understand its not the right time to travel to these countries but most of us enjoy the cold/windy/rainy weather (with some snow would be perfect!) as you rarely get to see it in Mumbai... The group is not much in museums and cathedrals but more into scenic beauty, beautiful blooming gardens (don't expect to see that in Nov!), some bargain shopping in hypermarkets (e.g. Ikea/Walmarts of Europe!), local culture etc. The group is pre-dominantly vegetarian (hence self-catering apartments)
Our tentative plan:
Land in Frankfurt on 08Nov. Either move to Frankfurt or Mainz in a self catering apartment for about 3-4nites
Any recommendations on:
- Frankfurt vs Mainz for self-catering apartments / approx price
- Planning to do day-trips to other places using Lander tickets. Not sure which cities/towns to choose.
(was planning a river cruise for 3nites on A-Rosa cruises but thats turning out to be quiet expensive ..approx EUR300 p.p.)
Proceed to either Strasbourg(France), Frieburg(Germany) or Baden Baden (Germany) for 2 nites. This is not exactly essential but the purpose is to do a day trip to Black Forest / Cuckoo clock factory. Any recommendations about group train tickets / places to visit, accommodation?
Proceed to Switzerland for 4nites .. 2nites Lucerne and 2nites Geneva.
Some of us in the group have been to Switzerland and for some its their 1st visit and hence they would like to do may be one mountain peak either from Lucerne or Geneva.
Take a 4-day train pass (2 for 1 offer)
Proceed to France for 3-4nites... base at Paris (train/coach travel)
Some of us initially planned to go to Europapark in Germany initially but during our travel dates its closed. So Eurodisney it is (if its worth the exhorbitant price). There are 2 parks there ..not sure which one is really worth it to give exciting feel to the adults (most may not be into the rides offered)...
The Paris pass for 1-2days is quiet expensive and most of it is not relevant as we are not looking for museum/gallery entries. Are there are any group tickets (like in germany?)
Depart from Paris back to India. I can reverse the itinerary to start from Paris and end in Frankfurt or skip Switzerland completely and do some other mountain peak with snow in Germany / Alsace region with cable cars and the all that (giving a JungFrau sort of experience!)
Your inputs would be greatly appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 2 1 month in Europe
- 3 London Hotels
- 4 Amsterdam hotels
- 5 Norway, Sweden, Denmark
- 6 Vienna, Austria for 5 days in early June
- 7 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 8 Denmark or Sweden?
- 9 Flying into Copenhagen (1st trip to Europe)
- 10 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 11 Last minute (next week) London GTG?
- 12 Back from Paris
- 13 From Portugal to the Pyrenees and onto Paris
- 14 Island hopping Croatia - into nature/hiking
- 15 Brugge hotel help
- 16 Which airport for Bellagio?
- 17 Old European currency
- 18 Europe itinerary questions
- 19 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 20 Intercity Notte training boarding time
- 21 5 days near Munich, Germany in late-May
- 22 In Search of Montalbano - the ups and downs of 10 days in Eastern Sicily
- 23 Are St. Chapelle concerts just for tourists?
- 24 Paris hotels
- 25 Gulet - Croatia vs Turkey vs Greece