We are a group of 09 adults (some senior citizens) traveling to Germany, Switzerland and France between 08-20Nov, 2012.
I understand its not the right time to travel to these countries but most of us enjoy the cold/windy/rainy weather (with some snow would be perfect!) as you rarely get to see it in Mumbai... The group is not much in museums and cathedrals but more into scenic beauty, beautiful blooming gardens (don't expect to see that in Nov!), some bargain shopping in hypermarkets (e.g. Ikea/Walmarts of Europe!), local culture etc. The group is pre-dominantly vegetarian (hence self-catering apartments)
Our tentative plan:
Land in Frankfurt on 08Nov. Either move to Frankfurt or Mainz in a self catering apartment for about 3-4nites
Any recommendations on:
- Frankfurt vs Mainz for self-catering apartments / approx price
- Planning to do day-trips to other places using Lander tickets. Not sure which cities/towns to choose.
(was planning a river cruise for 3nites on A-Rosa cruises but thats turning out to be quiet expensive ..approx EUR300 p.p.)
Proceed to either Strasbourg(France), Frieburg(Germany) or Baden Baden (Germany) for 2 nites. This is not exactly essential but the purpose is to do a day trip to Black Forest / Cuckoo clock factory. Any recommendations about group train tickets / places to visit, accommodation?
Proceed to Switzerland for 4nites .. 2nites Lucerne and 2nites Geneva.
Some of us in the group have been to Switzerland and for some its their 1st visit and hence they would like to do may be one mountain peak either from Lucerne or Geneva.
Take a 4-day train pass (2 for 1 offer)
Proceed to France for 3-4nites... base at Paris (train/coach travel)
Some of us initially planned to go to Europapark in Germany initially but during our travel dates its closed. So Eurodisney it is (if its worth the exhorbitant price). There are 2 parks there ..not sure which one is really worth it to give exciting feel to the adults (most may not be into the rides offered)...
The Paris pass for 1-2days is quiet expensive and most of it is not relevant as we are not looking for museum/gallery entries. Are there are any group tickets (like in germany?)
Depart from Paris back to India. I can reverse the itinerary to start from Paris and end in Frankfurt or skip Switzerland completely and do some other mountain peak with snow in Germany / Alsace region with cable cars and the all that (giving a JungFrau sort of experience!)
Your inputs would be greatly appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 fear of driving in rome!
- 2 Italy trains question
- 3 London, guided tours vs "do it oursleves"
- 4 ATM skimmer - good example of a traveler finding one in Vienna
- 5 Best/Most Scenic Route to Annecy, France from Amsterdam
- 6 Monti in Rome, your thoughts please
- 7 Le Marche, Italy
- 8 Where to stay in Italy for a month in Oct/Nov
- 9 itinerary help for 14 days on Sicily
- 10 Will July 23 Become England's Independence Day?
- 11 Need help identifying something in Barcelona
- 12 Itinerary set for my grand Basque adventure
- 13 Milan overnight or not en route to MXP with 2 kids
- 14 1 week in Cornwall, England
- 15 European Championship
- 16 to do with kids 2 1/2 days with a layover in frankfurt
- 17 Help. Medical escort needed after accident during holiday.
- 18 MADRID-ARANDA DEL DUERO-BURGOS- (??)
- 19 Our Amalfi Coast Adventure—Orlando to Dublin to Naples to Praiano
- 20 Trip Report: Edinburgh, York, Cornwall and Highclere
- 21 Two nights with kids in Normandy/Brittany
- 22 Lisboa upscale hotel choice (??)
- 23 Bellissimo Rome, Amalfi Coast, Florence and Caserta: Our wonderful trip
- 24 Scotland--transport from Dundee wharf to Edinburgh city center
- 25 Elbe Bike Trip 2 with a nasty end