My family and I are traveling to Italy in June/July and want to spend 2 nights in Emilia-Romagna. We will be coming from Umbria, after staying in a villa outside of Perugia for a week; we will have a car, and we'll be heading to Venice afterwards for the last leg of our trip. There are 6 of us: myself, wife, kids (ages 8 and 5) and my parents (early 60s). Unfortunately, we only have a Saturday and Sunday night to work with as the rest of the trip is locked in.
I am looking for some advice from fodorites on what may be a nice town to stay in: centrally located along our itinerary; kid-friendly; car accessible. Not sure if it is better to stay in a city at a hotel or at an agriturismo out in the country. Was thinking about Bologna or Parma for cities, though the vibe I'm getting about Bologna isn't good: dirty, lots of graffiti, difficult with a car. If anyone's stayed in these cities or in the surrounding areas, I'd love to know about your experiences.
We're interested in visiting a prosciutto and/or parmasean factory, so if anyone can help with information there as well, I'd appreciate it. I've heard there are museums to some of the regional food specialties, I would love to know if any of you have been to those. Also, thinking of visiting the Ferrari museum.
Any help anyone can provide would be much appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Spain - day driver advice
- 2 Single Parent with Tweens London/Paris
- 3 Stuck in Paris
- 4 Exploring Lisbon & where else?
- 5 Day trip from Amsterdam for college girls
- 6 Greece
- 7 Ex-pats with young kids
- 8 Iceland france spain
- 9 Ludwig Castles
- 10 Renting a car in Greece
- 11 Help on ancient history route
- 12 Need help with Honeymoon - Italy, Slovenia, Croatia
- 13 London with Teens Trip Report
- 14 Cinque Terre, Bologna and Lake Como
- 15 Paris hotel
- 16 Fly out Venice or Rome
- 17 Spanish food - not that special?
- 18 15 day honeymoon trip in December
- 19 Hiking the Cinque Terre Trails?
- 20 Maximizing Norway time
- 21 Cortona -- just a passing thought
- 22 How to travel from Thessaloniki airport to Halkidiki
- 23 Konigsee or Wolfgangsee for a stay of 3 days ?
- 24 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 25 southeast sicily town as home base