My family and I are traveling to Italy in June/July and want to spend 2 nights in Emilia-Romagna. We will be coming from Umbria, after staying in a villa outside of Perugia for a week; we will have a car, and we'll be heading to Venice afterwards for the last leg of our trip. There are 6 of us: myself, wife, kids (ages 8 and 5) and my parents (early 60s). Unfortunately, we only have a Saturday and Sunday night to work with as the rest of the trip is locked in.
I am looking for some advice from fodorites on what may be a nice town to stay in: centrally located along our itinerary; kid-friendly; car accessible. Not sure if it is better to stay in a city at a hotel or at an agriturismo out in the country. Was thinking about Bologna or Parma for cities, though the vibe I'm getting about Bologna isn't good: dirty, lots of graffiti, difficult with a car. If anyone's stayed in these cities or in the surrounding areas, I'd love to know about your experiences.
We're interested in visiting a prosciutto and/or parmasean factory, so if anyone can help with information there as well, I'd appreciate it. I've heard there are museums to some of the regional food specialties, I would love to know if any of you have been to those. Also, thinking of visiting the Ferrari museum.
Any help anyone can provide would be much appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Croatia and Montenegro Itinerary
- 2 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 3 family holiday Rome&Venice
- 4 Northern Spain vs Portugal, where spend more time ?
- 5 1 week in winter. Where to go?
- 6 If you had to choose one......
- 7 2 Months - Dubrovnik to Frankfurt Itinerary
- 8 Ireland Trip Planning Advice
- 9 Road Trip From Frankfurt
- 10 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 11 Sicily
- 12 Gertie in Greece NOW
- 13 Driver/Car Service Recommendation FCO- Pienza
- 14 car for four adults and four bikes
- 15 Marksburg Castle Transport Question
- 16 Itinerary help for first trip to Greece
- 17 Cycling with KIDS - Dordogne, France, (Combiers) APRIL 2017
- 18 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 19 Stonehenge more accessible with group?
- 20 Northern Spain Hotel Suggestion
- 21 How is the drive from Munich to Paris?
- 22 Fuerteventura - Canary Islands
- 23 Q re: holiday season in Italy
- 24 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 25 Switzerland 8 day itinerary in May