My family and I are traveling to Italy in June/July and want to spend 2 nights in Emilia-Romagna. We will be coming from Umbria, after staying in a villa outside of Perugia for a week; we will have a car, and we'll be heading to Venice afterwards for the last leg of our trip. There are 6 of us: myself, wife, kids (ages 8 and 5) and my parents (early 60s). Unfortunately, we only have a Saturday and Sunday night to work with as the rest of the trip is locked in.
I am looking for some advice from fodorites on what may be a nice town to stay in: centrally located along our itinerary; kid-friendly; car accessible. Not sure if it is better to stay in a city at a hotel or at an agriturismo out in the country. Was thinking about Bologna or Parma for cities, though the vibe I'm getting about Bologna isn't good: dirty, lots of graffiti, difficult with a car. If anyone's stayed in these cities or in the surrounding areas, I'd love to know about your experiences.
We're interested in visiting a prosciutto and/or parmasean factory, so if anyone can help with information there as well, I'd appreciate it. I've heard there are museums to some of the regional food specialties, I would love to know if any of you have been to those. Also, thinking of visiting the Ferrari museum.
Any help anyone can provide would be much appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Not a good time to fly into LGW
- 2 Rare Curiosity-Piquing Photos From Rome + Thank You
- 3 Are St. Chapelle concerts just for tourists?
- 4 Input on Itinerary for Visit to Bavaria and Austria Fall 2017
- 5 Choosing a hotel - Campo de' Fiori or Piazza Venezia?
- 6 Short Spain Trip - questions
- 7 3 weeks in Italy - Family of 4
- 8 How to best reach the Lofoten Islands from Oslo, Norway? (four day trip)
- 9 AIR BERLIN SALE
- 10 Reliable tour companies for day trips?
- 11 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 12 Train help for Prague
- 13 Iceland Ring Road itinerary
- 14 Amsterdam and Germany 9 days
- 15 driving from prague to salzburg
- 16 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 17 Swiss Travel Pass
- 18 Article on assistance for US citizens with difficulties abroad
- 19 Europe Travel & Trivia Quiz #138- Bridges, Tunnels!
- 20 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 21 Germany train help!
- 22 Brouhaha in Britain Over New 5 Pound Notes!
- 23 dining on the 25th in Dublin
- 24 Milan to Switzerland for skiing
- 25 Paris + Amsterdam: where to stay