My family and I are traveling to Italy in June/July and want to spend 2 nights in Emilia-Romagna. We will be coming from Umbria, after staying in a villa outside of Perugia for a week; we will have a car, and we'll be heading to Venice afterwards for the last leg of our trip. There are 6 of us: myself, wife, kids (ages 8 and 5) and my parents (early 60s). Unfortunately, we only have a Saturday and Sunday night to work with as the rest of the trip is locked in.
I am looking for some advice from fodorites on what may be a nice town to stay in: centrally located along our itinerary; kid-friendly; car accessible. Not sure if it is better to stay in a city at a hotel or at an agriturismo out in the country. Was thinking about Bologna or Parma for cities, though the vibe I'm getting about Bologna isn't good: dirty, lots of graffiti, difficult with a car. If anyone's stayed in these cities or in the surrounding areas, I'd love to know about your experiences.
We're interested in visiting a prosciutto and/or parmasean factory, so if anyone can help with information there as well, I'd appreciate it. I've heard there are museums to some of the regional food specialties, I would love to know if any of you have been to those. Also, thinking of visiting the Ferrari museum.
Any help anyone can provide would be much appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 2 So Many Places, So Little Time-17 Day Euro Trip--HELP!
- 3 Spanish Medical Providers
- 4 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 5 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 6 wondering if this trip too ambitious
- 7 Looking for a 5 star resort on Spanish coast for January
- 8 Venice to Zermatt by Train
- 9 Arenalullring area Seville?
- 10 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 11 Zurich to Milan trip
- 12 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 13 Just the wine list please and Daisy came too.
- 14 Train help Lyon to Annecy to Montreaux
- 15 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 16 Itinerary between Milan and Venice
- 17 San Sebastián
- 18 Andalusia suggests - which order is best?
- 19 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 20 Undiscovered Places in Paris
- 21 Ambitious 1st time trip through Europe whilst pregnant??
- 22 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg
- 23 Destination ideas for 88 year old
- 24 Planning A trip
- 25 Amalfi Coast Apartment in October -- mobility an issue