My 20-year old daughter is studying abroad this year in Amsterdam and the rest of the family (myself, husband and 17-year old daughter) will be visiting her over the holidays. We arrive in Amsterdam on the morning of December 24th (from California) and will stay for 5 days. On December 29th, we all head to Paris for a week, departing on January 5th.
A little more background: my husband and I have been to Paris many times, but not Amsterdam. Older daughter has been to Paris once, and obviously will be quite familiar with Amsterdam by the time we arrive in December. This is my younger daughter’s first trip to Europe.
I’m hoping to get some help with the following:
- Restaurants that will be open on Christmas Day in Amsterdam and New Year’s Day in Paris. Budget is approximately $75/person.
- Suggestions for special holiday activities in either city.
- Recommendation for a day trip by train from Amsterdam. I’ve been considering Delft, Haarlem, Leiden, The Hague and having a hard time choosing one!
Any other recommendations about what to do/see/eat in either city are welcome!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Americans moving to Europe - Suggestions?
- 2 Ronda Wine/biking
- 3 3 weeks in London, Cornwall and a tiny piece of Wales
- 4 Flying into London and Flying out of Edinburgh
- 5 No Periods in British Written English!
- 6 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 7 Perugia
- 8 5 days in the Morvan (Burgundy)
- 9 First Trip from Boston to Italy
- 10 Sicily-Driving from Taormina to Cefalu
- 11 Italy, beyond the most common Tourist Destinations
- 12 Ireland road trip in June: Where to stop?
- 13 Favorite restaurants, Florence
- 14 Areas in Milan
- 15 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 16 Day trip to Lake Como from Milan
- 17 Ireland last minute recommendations
- 18 Ireland itinerary help please
- 19 3-days Athens Itinerary, thoughts? Starting this Wednesday!
- 20 CDG much improved
- 21 Dublin or Amsterdam?
- 22 St Denis Cathedral
- 23 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 24 Versailles & musical fountains: Touristy or Magical? Skip it or Don't Miss?
- 25 Parma, Reggio or Modena for a year?
Help with Amsterdam for Christmas and Paris for New Year’s