I am planning a 2 week honeymoon to Turkey and Greece next year September. Finding this quite daunting as its our first time booking and planning everything on our own (we normally do it through a travel agency). Would appreciate any suggestions please
This is our proposed flight route on Turkish Airways:
Durban, South Africa > Istanabul, Turkey
Istanabul, Turkey > Athens, Greece
Athens, Greece > Santorini (by ferry or plane, still deciding - any suggestions?)
Basically, we would like to start our honeymoon in Santorini as we will be quite jet lagged, so this will be the perfect place to just relax. We would like to spend 5-6 days here. We would then take a ferry back to Athens to spend 1/2 days there. And finally fly back to Turkey to spend the remaining days 3-4 days. Heard that Istanbul is busy and there is lots to see and do, which is why we have kept this for last. Would then leave for Durban from Istanbul.
I know its white a short time to to see so much, but its what we have available. Just so you get an idea of what we are like -> We are the type of couple that like to relax and spend time on the beach, but we cannot sit still for a very long time! We like to make the most of the country we are in. We love sightseeing and exploring different cultures. Do you think that we are using our days wisely? Should we leave out Athens and spend more days in Greece or Turkey?
Here are a few more questions I need help with please:
- Is it easy to get taxis from the port/airports to our hotels? As I mentioned previously, our travel agent normally arranges all the transfers for us. Which is why I ask, don't want to find ourselves stranded somewhere with all our bags!
- Any recommendations for places to stay in Santorini? We are still deciding between
Fira and Oia. Good nightlife is important to us as well as a central location so we don't have to spend a lot on travelling.
- I would really like a guidance of what can't be missed in Santorini apart from the beautiful beaches?
- We plan to stay in Athens for only 1/2 nights, so time will be limited. What are the must see attractions? And where should we stay, so that we don't have to travel too far? Or should we leave out Athens all together?
- What are the must see attractions in Istanbul? And where should we stay, so that we are
Thanks in advance Look forward to all of your suggestions!
Jae and mike
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Austria / Bavaria in late Oct/Early Nov
- 2 If you had to choose one......
- 3 No Train On Kings Day Amsterdam?
- 4 Granada to Madrid
- 5 House Hunting in France
- 6 Need help with itinerary! Switzerland, France, Italy, Slovenia, Croatia
- 7 Cognac transportation?
- 8 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #150
- 9 An hour and ten min enough for connection?
- 10 12 days itinerary - Netherland, Belgium & Germany
- 11 Paris getaway with my daughter hotel ideas
- 12 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 13 The mouse munches her way through far off lands: The Christams Edition
- 14 Barcelona cooking classes
- 15 First time in Europe for 10 days! Help!
- 16 Naples, Italy
- 17 Europe for 5 days starting with Munich
- 18 Where to buy Saffron?
- 19 Hotel in Vienna
- 20 8 to 9 days in switzerland with swiss pass
- 21 English Countryside
- 22 Killarney National Park--Finding a canoe
- 23 12 days trip to Amsterdam, Paris, germany and Swizerland
- 24 Ireland travel passport question
- 25 Base for wine tasting and last night in Lisbon