I am going to be traveling to Greece in September for my honeymoon. I kind of messed up my itinerary due to hotel availability earlier in the trip and not knowing the ferry schedule leaving me with a very short time in Crete. The more I read about it, the more time I wish I had to spend in Crete.
Here is my situation:
Depart Santorini on Sept. 22nd.
There are only two ferries from Santorini to Crete, both in the early evening, and flights are too expensive.
Depart Heraklion for Paris at 2:30 PM on Sept 24th.
What would be the most enjoyable use of our limited time in Crete?
I originally thought of renting a car and driving (2 hours to Chania) estimated arrival is 9:30-10PM. Then either hike the Samarja Gorge, or take a boat tour to see Gramvousa and Balos Lagoon the next day, then drive back to Heraklion to catch our flight to Paris. Is this worth the time and trouble to travel to the western part of the island, or is there other options people recommend.
All suggestions are very much appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Experiencing London and Scotland by Sleeper Train
- 2 Trains in Italy
- 3 Restaurant recommendations in Sicily
- 4 Help Planning Denmark Sweden Norway trip
- 5 Borghese Gallery Question
- 6 Sim Card
- 7 7 nights in Iceland, in July 2018
- 8 Help with Greek islands itinerary-which islands to pick!
- 9 Airline to Rome
- 10 Finland around Christmas time?
- 11 Clueless, planning trip to Scotland
- 12 Athens Help
- 13 Experiencing Scotland in the Winters
- 14 Germany vs Sweden nightlife
- 15 Where??-2 night trip from London
- 16 To the top of Europe, and back again.
- 17 La Coruna or Santiago or both?
- 18 Help me decide which major city to cut based on time of year.
- 19 Transport for local Venice travel
- 20 London vacation rental agency
- 21 Austria & Switzerland- winter or summer!
- 22 Driving from Culzean Castle to Bamburgh
- 23 SE ITALY
- 24 London and Paris - 3 days each
- 25 Granada in April; add Malaga?