hello fellow travelers!
my 3 kids (25, 22, 21) and i are going to barcelona and the costa brava at the end of june/beginning of july. we have 7 nights total. i'm looking for some guidance on distances and do-ability on my flexible itinerary. i've been to spain, except for barcelona. we, as a family, like food, local sites, architecture, antiquities and experiencing culture different than our own (we live in chicago), nature and the outdoors and are low-key veteran travelers. museums and cathedrals are not their thing (i blame the vatican fiasco...). unfortunately, i'm the only one who knows how to drive a stick shift, so i'm trying to minimize the driving as much as i can, without missing the things that you have to drive to see properly.
we fly in and out of barcelona, so the first and last night for sure there.
first 2 nights in barcelona.
rent a car, go to parador in cardona and visit montserrat. (is it worth it? too touristy?)
return the car to barcelona, take a train to girona, (seems easy and 45 minutes), stay there overnight? then get another car there? or just keep the same car and deal with parking, etc.?
then.....perhaps double back to girona, dump the car, take the train back to barcelona for our last night. i have 3 swing days. can we get as far as cadaques or into the languedoc? are we better off visiting inland to olot, or the garroxta valley? or to perpignan and/or pals? i want to see enough but not run ragged and i'm not sure of the distances and travel times. i assume we stay in three different towns those 3 nights.
can you help me focus?
thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Italy (or other country) with a baby
- 2 Paris removes Pont des Arts love locks
- 3 One day in Paris, Champagne, and somewhere between Beaune and Nice
- 4 ASADOR EXTEBARRI..and assorted related topics..questions..
- 5 Packing as Light as Possible!
- 6 La Roque Gageac, France in early October
- 7 The best hotel in Naples for last night in Italy!
- 8 Can you recommend a hotel in Santorini?
- 9 Help planning for 8 days Barcelona and Costa Brava.
- 10 With AT&T Passport plan, do we also need GPS or MiFi for driving/maps?
- 11 Narrowed down itinerary, but still need help finishing in Munich
- 12 Buckfast Abbey Brews Up a Brouhahah!
- 13 La Mouzaia in northeastern Paris
- 14 Transferring on Germany trains
- 15 Itinerary Paris/Provence - please provide thoughts
- 16 Northern Italy/Tuscany ideas
- 17 Pompeii, Herculaneum
- 18 home base in provence
- 19 Cotswolds: Wheatsheaf Inn, NorthLeach or Rectory, Crudwell
- 20 Honoring my Father, Belgium, Amsterdam, London and TWO GTGs
- 21 Where to catch bus at Glasgow Airport
- 22 Dolomiti advice please!
- 23 Italy on the Cheap (Mostly), May 2015
- 24 Euro Quiz # 110 - Potpourri
- 25 quick Rome advice
hello fellow travelers!