hello fellow travelers!
my 3 kids (25, 22, 21) and i are going to barcelona and the costa brava at the end of june/beginning of july. we have 7 nights total. i'm looking for some guidance on distances and do-ability on my flexible itinerary. i've been to spain, except for barcelona. we, as a family, like food, local sites, architecture, antiquities and experiencing culture different than our own (we live in chicago), nature and the outdoors and are low-key veteran travelers. museums and cathedrals are not their thing (i blame the vatican fiasco...). unfortunately, i'm the only one who knows how to drive a stick shift, so i'm trying to minimize the driving as much as i can, without missing the things that you have to drive to see properly.
we fly in and out of barcelona, so the first and last night for sure there.
first 2 nights in barcelona.
rent a car, go to parador in cardona and visit montserrat. (is it worth it? too touristy?)
return the car to barcelona, take a train to girona, (seems easy and 45 minutes), stay there overnight? then get another car there? or just keep the same car and deal with parking, etc.?
then.....perhaps double back to girona, dump the car, take the train back to barcelona for our last night. i have 3 swing days. can we get as far as cadaques or into the languedoc? are we better off visiting inland to olot, or the garroxta valley? or to perpignan and/or pals? i want to see enough but not run ragged and i'm not sure of the distances and travel times. i assume we stay in three different towns those 3 nights.
can you help me focus?
thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Vaporetto ticket time questions
- 2 Ideas for change in our Italian itinerary please
- 3 Trip Report- UK Gardens in May
- 4 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz - Memorial Day Special
- 5 Avoid Europcar!
- 6 First Time in Ireland...Intinerary advice please
- 7 Feedback please on my itinerary Poland and Lithuania
- 8 Should We Go to the French Riviera in August?
- 9 Transport Christmas and NYE
- 10 Europe Winter Itinerary
- 11 Train / Calabria
- 12 Fueled by gluten, caffeine, and alcohol - two weeks in France
- 13 16 days in France and Italy
- 14 Changing Planes at Fiumicino
- 15 Sarlat & Surrounding Towns Restaurants
- 16 Hotels on st george beach naxos
- 17 Paris for children
- 18 Nice/Villefranche/Monaco
- 19 My Topic Title Edinburgh to Heathrow BA flight on Monday Question?
- 20 [Needed Recs] Cheap, widely available, good wine in Italy?
- 21 Train/car from Madrid to Toledo tomorrow
- 22 Proposed electronics ban and questions about my Kindle
- 23 Private Guide in Cordoba, Spain
- 24 Spain itinerary and railway advise
- 25 Nice to Cinque Terre where to stay.
hello fellow travelers!