My fiance and I are going on our honeymoon to Italy in a couple weeks. I have been reading up and trying to plan some good day trips from our hotel in Montepulciano since we will have a car the whole time there. We have never been to Europe/Italy, so we're excited to get out and see a lot. However, we also don't want to be in a car the entire trip.
Any advice on the second leg of our trip below would be greatly appreciated!
Leg 1: Venice (3 nights)
Leg 2: Montepulciano/Tuscany (4 nights)
-Day Trip #1: drive to Volterra, spend 3-4 hours, drive to Sienna, spend 5 hours, drive back to hotel in Montepulciano
-Day Trip #2: drive to St. Antimòs Abbey to watch Gregorian Chants at 9AM, stop in Montalcino, San Quirico d'Orcia, and Pienza on the way back to Montepulciano
-Day Trip #3: drive to Assisi, spend 4-6 hours, drive to Cortona, spend 2-3 hours, drive back to Montepulciano.
-Day Trip #4: drive to Civita di Bagnoregio early in the morning, spend 2 hours, drive to Orvieto, spend 2 hours. Catch train to Rome at 12:00p
Leg 3: Rome (4 nights)
Some of my questions of the bat:
1. Is this too much driving?
2. If yes above, what should we cut? (Is Volterra/Assisi/Orvieto worth it)
3. Any other advice based on what you see?
Map of our honeymoon including these day trips:
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Daytime flights - US East Coast to Paris?
- 2 3-days Athens Itinerary, thoughts? Starting this Wednesday!
- 3 Bedbugs in Paris.
- 4 Self drive tour companies
- 5 scotland
- 6 Lamezia Terme, Italy
- 7 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 8 Ischia
- 9 One more day in Athens, any suggestions?
- 10 Vatican Museums and Scavi Tour
- 11 Road trip from Naples to Basilicata, Puglia and Bari
- 12 Barcelona
- 13 Seville- Ronda drive time
- 14 3 weeks in Central/Eastern Europe
- 15 Fine-tuning Requested: Naxos, Santorini, Athens Itinerary
- 16 Italian Honeymoon Advice
- 17 itinerary help: 18 days in Wales/Scotland
- 18 Aparthotel Adagio Paris XV feedback
- 19 No Periods in British Written English!
- 20 Best place in Italy for a tourist during Easter
- 21 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 22 3 Month Europe Itineray -- please critique
- 23 Upcoming trip to Penzance, Cornwall
- 24 First time in London
- 25 Dinner get-together in Paris?