My fiance and I are going on our honeymoon to Italy in a couple weeks. I have been reading up and trying to plan some good day trips from our hotel in Montepulciano since we will have a car the whole time there. We have never been to Europe/Italy, so we're excited to get out and see a lot. However, we also don't want to be in a car the entire trip.
Any advice on the second leg of our trip below would be greatly appreciated!
Leg 1: Venice (3 nights)
Leg 2: Montepulciano/Tuscany (4 nights)
-Day Trip #1: drive to Volterra, spend 3-4 hours, drive to Sienna, spend 5 hours, drive back to hotel in Montepulciano
-Day Trip #2: drive to St. Antimòs Abbey to watch Gregorian Chants at 9AM, stop in Montalcino, San Quirico d'Orcia, and Pienza on the way back to Montepulciano
-Day Trip #3: drive to Assisi, spend 4-6 hours, drive to Cortona, spend 2-3 hours, drive back to Montepulciano.
-Day Trip #4: drive to Civita di Bagnoregio early in the morning, spend 2 hours, drive to Orvieto, spend 2 hours. Catch train to Rome at 12:00p
Leg 3: Rome (4 nights)
Some of my questions of the bat:
1. Is this too much driving?
2. If yes above, what should we cut? (Is Volterra/Assisi/Orvieto worth it)
3. Any other advice based on what you see?
Map of our honeymoon including these day trips:
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 2 Azores
- 3 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 4 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 5 Experience with Earthbound Tours
- 6 Train in Switzerland from Basel to Zermatt to Zurich
- 7 Sundays in Puglia
- 8 question on Barcelona itinerary
- 9 London GTG in June, Anyone?
- 10 Prague
- 11 San Francisco retirees would like to move to Paris for a year- crazy idea?
- 12 2 Months in Sicily
- 13 Planning a solo trip mostly to France, advice please!
- 14 What tips can you give about packing?
- 15 Sim Card Options
- 16 Lake Geneva / Great St Bernard Pass / Milan / Naples
- 17 Amsterdam hotels during summer
- 18 Cotswolds cottage ideas
- 19 Madrid, Barcelona and .....
- 20 Splitting 11 days between Amsterdam and Dubrovnik
- 21 Como Bus to Bellagio
- 22 Greek Islands (small)
- 23 Taking a high speed train from Rome, Italy to Venice, Italy for a day trip.
- 24 Scotland in 7 Days
- 25 Booking trains in Europe (Venice to Chur)