As part of a planned 6-week trip to Europe in June/July 2013, my wife and I plan to spend 9 or 10 nights in Austria.
So far the plan is to stay 5 nights in Vienna (after having come from Prague) and 3 nights in Saltzburg before heading to Munich for the final leg of our trip.
We have seen many, many posters mention the lovely Salzkammergut lakes district around an hour from Saltzburg. The towns most mentioned are: Hallstatt, Wolfgangsee and St Gilgen.
My question is:
Is there some way we could visit all those places - with overnight stays if need be - on the way to Saltzburg? Or would it be easy/better to travel directly to Saltzburg and take one or two day trips to that area. We hadn't planned on hiring a car because we found last time we spent time in Europe we didn't need one.
In this case is it not possible without a car or is there some other way we could get to see Salzkammergut without one?
Thanks in advance, Steve.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Vaporetto ticket time questions
- 2 First Time in Ireland...Intinerary advice please
- 3 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz - Memorial Day Special
- 4 Ideas for change in our Italian itinerary please
- 5 Changing Planes at Fiumicino
- 6 Should We Go to the French Riviera in August?
- 7 Sarlat & Surrounding Towns Restaurants
- 8 Hotels on st george beach naxos
- 9 Paris for children
- 10 Nice/Villefranche/Monaco
- 11 My Topic Title Edinburgh to Heathrow BA flight on Monday Question?
- 12 16 days in France and Italy
- 13 Fueled by gluten, caffeine, and alcohol - two weeks in France
- 14 [Needed Recs] Cheap, widely available, good wine in Italy?
- 15 Train/car from Madrid to Toledo tomorrow
- 16 Proposed electronics ban and questions about my Kindle
- 17 Private Guide in Cordoba, Spain
- 18 Spain itinerary and railway advise
- 19 Nice to Cinque Terre where to stay.
- 20 One July night in Verona - help!
- 21 Couscous
- 22 Exchange ZAR in Turkey
- 23 Gibraltar United Kingdom
- 24 Purchasing travel insurance in the UK
- 25 Switzerland swiss mountain passes so confusing, jungfrou