As part of a planned 6-week trip to Europe in June/July 2013, my wife and I plan to spend 9 or 10 nights in Austria.
So far the plan is to stay 5 nights in Vienna (after having come from Prague) and 3 nights in Saltzburg before heading to Munich for the final leg of our trip.
We have seen many, many posters mention the lovely Salzkammergut lakes district around an hour from Saltzburg. The towns most mentioned are: Hallstatt, Wolfgangsee and St Gilgen.
My question is:
Is there some way we could visit all those places - with overnight stays if need be - on the way to Saltzburg? Or would it be easy/better to travel directly to Saltzburg and take one or two day trips to that area. We hadn't planned on hiring a car because we found last time we spent time in Europe we didn't need one.
In this case is it not possible without a car or is there some other way we could get to see Salzkammergut without one?
Thanks in advance, Steve.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 One quick week -- where in France?
- 2 French lavender and cottages
- 3 Brugge or Ghent?
- 4 Spanish leather -- women's leather vest
- 5 First visit to France/Dordogne
- 6 15+ days in Sicily -- first crack at itinerary
- 7 Amsterdam or any other city near London/Paris
- 8 Portugal First Timers, 3 Q's
- 9 Italy - Car Rental - CDW's and Insurance
- 10 Major quake in central Itay
- 11 Eastern Europe Summer 2017 Itinerary + Mykonos Break
- 12 Traveling from Sicily, Italy to Greece
- 13 Budapest on a budget
- 14 easy daytrip from Firenze (without car)
- 15 Which European country to visit in November? Spain/Italy/France?
- 16 Underground between kings Cross and Waterloo Main Line Station
- 17 Germany, May'16: Four seasons in three weeks.
- 18 Earthquake, so sad for Italy
- 19 suggestions needed: Seville--> Cadiz/Conil/...
- 20 The nieces take Bruce and Marija to Paris, Venice and London
- 21 Private Guide for Anhambra in Granada
- 22 Road trip from Rome to Orvieto and perugia
- 23 3 days with a Swindon base
- 24 Colosseum, roman forum and palatine ticket and tour
- 25 Bead Tours in Jablonec?