As part of a planned 6-week trip to Europe in June/July 2013, my wife and I plan to spend 9 or 10 nights in Austria.
So far the plan is to stay 5 nights in Vienna (after having come from Prague) and 3 nights in Saltzburg before heading to Munich for the final leg of our trip.
We have seen many, many posters mention the lovely Salzkammergut lakes district around an hour from Saltzburg. The towns most mentioned are: Hallstatt, Wolfgangsee and St Gilgen.
My question is:
Is there some way we could visit all those places - with overnight stays if need be - on the way to Saltzburg? Or would it be easy/better to travel directly to Saltzburg and take one or two day trips to that area. We hadn't planned on hiring a car because we found last time we spent time in Europe we didn't need one.
In this case is it not possible without a car or is there some other way we could get to see Salzkammergut without one?
Thanks in advance, Steve.
Help on overnight stays between Vienna and Saltzburg
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 ATM nonsense: be prepared
- 2 bath or york
- 3 Boulevard Saint Germain from start to finish
- 4 13 days Netherlands, Germany, Austria and Zermatt
- 5 Cute hotel in Venice (San Marco) for around $150USD
- 6 Rail tickets
- 7 iDTGV Sales Open Today for Travel through September 11, 2014
- 8 Venice to Wegen Switerzerland-suggestion for overnight near lake como
- 9 3.5 days in Andalucia
- 10 Greece Italy and Turkey
- 11 Hotel room/Aptartment Recommendation for 5 in Paris
- 12 Maitaitom & Tracy's Romantic 20th Anniversary Paris 2014 Trip In September
- 13 Three Centre Holiday, Italy
- 14 Hotel in Venice
- 15 We saw London, we saw France as well as The Netherlands and Belgium
- 16 Visiting the UK (2 Weeks, need help)
- 17 Advantages and Disadvantages of Visiting Turkey At This Time
- 18 GRAUBUNDEN: exploring Pontresina, Sils, Poschiavo, Zernez, Guarda, Scuol
- 19 Signal strength of T-Mobile phones in UK, Denmark, & Sweden
- 20 A little help with our Dordogne itinerary
- 21 Paris to Rome
- 22 Basque Spain to Lourdes to Carcassonne to Provence! 12 busy days solo
- 23 Recommendations for good driving routes for lavender fields in Provence
- 24 London tube
- 25 Parking Car in Amsterdam - Need Advice