As part of a planned 6-week trip to Europe in June/July 2013, my wife and I plan to spend 9 or 10 nights in Austria.
So far the plan is to stay 5 nights in Vienna (after having come from Prague) and 3 nights in Saltzburg before heading to Munich for the final leg of our trip.
We have seen many, many posters mention the lovely Salzkammergut lakes district around an hour from Saltzburg. The towns most mentioned are: Hallstatt, Wolfgangsee and St Gilgen.
My question is:
Is there some way we could visit all those places - with overnight stays if need be - on the way to Saltzburg? Or would it be easy/better to travel directly to Saltzburg and take one or two day trips to that area. We hadn't planned on hiring a car because we found last time we spent time in Europe we didn't need one.
In this case is it not possible without a car or is there some other way we could get to see Salzkammergut without one?
Thanks in advance, Steve.
Help on overnight stays between Vienna and Saltzburg
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Amalfi (town) to Pompeii (ruins entrance-luggage storage area)
- 2 Greek Island Chartering Yacht with Skipper?
- 3 Jamikins and Bikerscott in Le Marche and the Dolomites
- 4 Germany driving itinerary starting questions
- 5 Wales/Scotland Trip - August 2014
- 6 Barcelona to SW France to Madrid in 10 days
- 7 Itinerary Help!
- 8 RFID wallets do they really work?
- 9 Nuremburg and Bamberg from Munich
- 10 Berlin & Budapest for 8 days
- 11 Italy Roma Card, Florence Card Recommended? Train Pass?
- 12 Rent a villa in Crete or Not?
- 13 Train ticket dilemma from Zurich to Milan
- 14 He said , she said
- 15 driving map for Croatia and BiH
- 16 Munich with a car?
- 17 Any exciting towns South of Rome, Italy
- 18 From CDG to the Seventh?
- 19 Naples - Hotel to stay for 2 nites
- 20 Republique - Canal St Martin area safe? And VRBO apartment rental questions
- 21 Toulouse and beyond -
- 22 Lots of help needed- First time going to Italy- Itinerary suggestions
- 23 Looking for advice on hotels in Paris
- 24 tour guides in rome
- 25 England/Scotland/Wales Planning-Summr 2014