As part of a planned 6-week trip to Europe in June/July 2013, my wife and I plan to spend 9 or 10 nights in Austria.
So far the plan is to stay 5 nights in Vienna (after having come from Prague) and 3 nights in Saltzburg before heading to Munich for the final leg of our trip.
We have seen many, many posters mention the lovely Salzkammergut lakes district around an hour from Saltzburg. The towns most mentioned are: Hallstatt, Wolfgangsee and St Gilgen.
My question is:
Is there some way we could visit all those places - with overnight stays if need be - on the way to Saltzburg? Or would it be easy/better to travel directly to Saltzburg and take one or two day trips to that area. We hadn't planned on hiring a car because we found last time we spent time in Europe we didn't need one.
In this case is it not possible without a car or is there some other way we could get to see Salzkammergut without one?
Thanks in advance, Steve.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Alitala
- 2 Crete Holiday
- 3 Just curious--why Airbnb?
- 4 October 2017 trip - need insight into last leg of trip...
- 5 Dordogne France, 6 days, 13 people!
- 6 Clueless, planning trip to Scotland
- 7 Croatia short sail trip
- 8 Maybe your worst nighmare...
- 9 Stu Tower
- 10 First trip to Europe with teens 14 and 15 Spain or Italy?
- 11 Suggestions for driving Cadiz to Zaragosa
- 12 SE ITALY
- 13 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 14 Which Hotel in Rome
- 15 6 Days in Italy
- 16 Arrival in Berlin on Christmas Day?
- 17 Hiking/Photographing the Black Forest
- 18 transportation from Prague to Cesky Krumlov
- 19 Durham Castle or Lumley Castle?
- 20 Girl Talk -- Clothing for Amalfi Coast and Rome, 9/28-10/8
- 21 1st Time to Ireland - what to wear?
- 22 Where??-2 night trip from London
- 23 Drive from Piedmont to Malpensa Qs?
- 24 Romania : Tip in restaurants.
- 25 renting