As part of a planned 6-week trip to Europe in June/July 2013, my wife and I plan to spend 9 or 10 nights in Austria.
So far the plan is to stay 5 nights in Vienna (after having come from Prague) and 3 nights in Saltzburg before heading to Munich for the final leg of our trip.
We have seen many, many posters mention the lovely Salzkammergut lakes district around an hour from Saltzburg. The towns most mentioned are: Hallstatt, Wolfgangsee and St Gilgen.
My question is:
Is there some way we could visit all those places - with overnight stays if need be - on the way to Saltzburg? Or would it be easy/better to travel directly to Saltzburg and take one or two day trips to that area. We hadn't planned on hiring a car because we found last time we spent time in Europe we didn't need one.
In this case is it not possible without a car or is there some other way we could get to see Salzkammergut without one?
Thanks in advance, Steve.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Super Excited! 3 weeks need your help!
- 2 European Cooking Secrets
- 3 Basque country ideas
- 4 Schengen Visa Question - Student Visa / Visitor Visa
- 5 Glorious -- 18 days in Sicily
- 6 Spain itinerary, suggestions please!
- 7 Trip changes- added Paris and Florence!
- 8 Hikrchick & Hikrguy back from (cool & rainy but) fabulous Paris
- 9 Solo trip across Europe covering 18 countries
- 10 Need itinerary suggestions for 7 days in Spain before Christmas Eve
- 11 plane or train for quick trip Rome to Venice
- 12 4 days in switzerland
- 13 11 days in Portugal in April - thoughts on itinerary please!
- 14 the ultimate trip report Barcelona
- 15 UK - Celebrating Thanksgiving?
- 16 Amalfi Coast to Barcelona
- 17 First trip to Italy
- 18 How busy are the Rhine & Mosel River Valleys in early May?
- 19 Travel vs. Babies
- 20 Help plan trip to Coppenhagen and Stockholm
- 21 Manchester (MAN) vs. Heathrow
- 22 Lake Garda, Where to stay
- 23 Eastern Provence, French Alps, Nice
- 24 Almalfi coast late March? Or Piedmont?
- 25 Andalusia, Tangiers, Barcelona?