As part of a planned 6-week trip to Europe in June/July 2013, my wife and I plan to spend 9 or 10 nights in Austria.
So far the plan is to stay 5 nights in Vienna (after having come from Prague) and 3 nights in Saltzburg before heading to Munich for the final leg of our trip.
We have seen many, many posters mention the lovely Salzkammergut lakes district around an hour from Saltzburg. The towns most mentioned are: Hallstatt, Wolfgangsee and St Gilgen.
My question is:
Is there some way we could visit all those places - with overnight stays if need be - on the way to Saltzburg? Or would it be easy/better to travel directly to Saltzburg and take one or two day trips to that area. We hadn't planned on hiring a car because we found last time we spent time in Europe we didn't need one.
In this case is it not possible without a car or is there some other way we could get to see Salzkammergut without one?
Thanks in advance, Steve.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 So glad we went to Greece (and London always)
- 2 April in Paris...with a Side of Bordeaux
- 3 Spain schedule - reality check please.
- 4 Current Paris vacation rental news...
- 5 Rome to Sicily/Lipari September fly/boat???
- 6 Malta: baby food?
- 7 Amsterdam, Brussels, Where Else?
- 8 Amalfi Coast with Kids- Where to stay?
- 9 Shopping in Paris
- 10 Rome, Florence, Venice and back to Rome in 5 days...doable?
- 11 Feedback on Spain Trip
- 12 2 London theatre recommendations
- 13 spanish winery region(s)
- 14 If your question is "Is This Trip Crazy?"
- 15 Austria czech republic itinerary
- 16 Strike - again in France Tomorrow
- 17 Once in a life time 3 month Europe Trip
- 18 Need help for itineray for Paris, Monaco, Rome, Florence 12 -14 days
- 19 Have You Ever Been Robbed in Europe?
- 20 Florence and Siena Restaurants
- 21 December in Deutschland
- 22 30 Days in France with Family (6 y/o, 23 mo), what city to stay?
- 23 Moscow and St Petersburg
- 24 cash or plastic in Greece
- 25 The unrequested appetizers in Portugal