These forums are full of terrific advice- and I am so looking forward to your insight and experience! My friend and I are joining my daughter who is studying in Italy for a trip to see and experience as much as we can in 11 days. We have the itinerary- but are really stuck about train and car arrangements.
We are spending time in Rome, then taking a train to Florence and then would like to have more flexibility in our travel for tuscany - 2 days in Pienza (home base) and the surrounding area. To that:
1. We are concerned about trying to get a rental car in the City of Florence and getting out of the city easily. Should we get a rental car outside of Florence? if so, where? Would we be best off taking a train for example to Chiusi and getting a car there?
2. For the two days in Tuscany- we want to spend time at great restaurants in the hill towns- would we be best off getting a car service in Pienza for that? Are those outrageous in price?
3. AFter the two days in Tuscany we are heading to Cinque Terre. Should we drop off our Rental at La Spezia or somewhere much closer to Siena? How hard is the drive to La Spezia ?
4. Any suggestions as to the "must do" towns and restaurants in Hill towns of Central Tuscany?
So excited to do this trip- on our own!
thanks very much,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 2 Surprise trip to Greece!
- 3 Rome, Florence and Venice for each city 2 days
- 4 Seville/Granada or Porto/Guim/Braga/Evora to impress 9 year old?
- 5 Greece-Paros or Meteora
- 6 Juangfrau / mt
- 7 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 8 Bern to Munich, BlaBla Car & Dresden
- 9 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 10 please help me plan first trip to europe
- 11 Figueres: trains and timing from Barcelona
- 12 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 13 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 14 Switzerland
- 15 Paris to Nice - 4x 50 somethings and 5 nights - what to do!
- 16 Questions about Polish sights
- 17 Recommendations for meandering travel this fall in Spain and Portugal
- 18 If you had to choose one......
- 19 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 20 Ireland travel passport question
- 21 Italy
- 22 10 nights in Umbria before Rome- advice please
- 23 Revised itinerary for italy
- 24 Polish: Enough Indo-European Similarity to Make Picking up Words Easier?
- 25 Iceland 9 Days Late March - Review Itinerary!