These forums are full of terrific advice- and I am so looking forward to your insight and experience! My friend and I are joining my daughter who is studying in Italy for a trip to see and experience as much as we can in 11 days. We have the itinerary- but are really stuck about train and car arrangements.
We are spending time in Rome, then taking a train to Florence and then would like to have more flexibility in our travel for tuscany - 2 days in Pienza (home base) and the surrounding area. To that:
1. We are concerned about trying to get a rental car in the City of Florence and getting out of the city easily. Should we get a rental car outside of Florence? if so, where? Would we be best off taking a train for example to Chiusi and getting a car there?
2. For the two days in Tuscany- we want to spend time at great restaurants in the hill towns- would we be best off getting a car service in Pienza for that? Are those outrageous in price?
3. AFter the two days in Tuscany we are heading to Cinque Terre. Should we drop off our Rental at La Spezia or somewhere much closer to Siena? How hard is the drive to La Spezia ?
4. Any suggestions as to the "must do" towns and restaurants in Hill towns of Central Tuscany?
So excited to do this trip- on our own!
thanks very much,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Spain: 2 versions of a new itinerary. Please help me figure this out.
- 2 Please help with planning Italian honeymoon
- 3 17 days in England
- 4 Portugal In A Week-The Places You'd Go Back To
- 5 Getting from Ravello to Venice
- 6 Parking in Girona
- 7 2 nights in the Montreux-Vevey-Lavaux area
- 8 Naples, Herculaneum and Capri Early April - recommendations
- 9 Alhambra advance tickets - how far in advance?
- 10 Easter Week in Europe, Destination Suggestions Please
- 11 Paris drinks/dinner GTG April?
- 12 Versailles - Much More than the Palace!
- 13 Alhambra ticket confusions
- 14 Seeking advice on apt rental
- 15 Driving (hire car) in London…
- 16 Sevilla lodging 3 adults 3 kids and things to do
- 17 Bordeaux, la Rochelle, Toulouse & Garonne-by bike, self-drive boat & car
- 18 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 19 Can't get in to Cordoba....
- 20 Italy Trip Report
- 21 One day in milan
- 22 What to do in Lefkada, Greece?
- 23 Transportation Question Italy
- 24 London Restaurants
- 25 Reviews of Paris restaurants: Tour d’Argent, Le Cinq, Ange20,...