I am looking for some input please on a trip to Greece this summer.
We are a couple with a 7 year old daughter. We love Greece and are trying to put together a trip that combines some old favourites with some new places.
We will be visiting Greece in August (yes, I know, but that's when we are free; we have been before in August and it was fine). What we would love to do is to see a few different places, some old, some new (to us), and to RELAX. We have about 2 weeks, maybe marginally more, so the plan would be to spend say 4/5 nights in each of 3 different destinations.
- I am not a huge fan of boats, getting pretty seasick, but appreciate that on a Greek island hopping holiday they are a necessary evil. Still, if we could keep to a minimum that would be good, but not the major concern.
- We want to visit Santorini on this trip. We've been there before, in fact we got married there in 2004.
- We live in Dublin. There are direct flights from Dublin to Athens, and to Chania in Crete. The Athens flight arrives late at night, so if we fly in to Athens we would have to wait until the next day for a connecting flight / boat to the islands. Alternatively we can fly to Santorini via Manchester (I haven't checked flight times here yet, but let's assume that works). With a 7 year old ideally we want to make the travel side of things as easy as possible.
- I have never been to Chania, although have been to other parts of Crete, and have always wanted to go there. The direct flight from Dublin only opened up this year. However if it doesn't fit naturally into this trip there will be plenty of other opportunities.
- We have visited the Cyclades before and some places we have gone but don't want to revisit on this trip are Andros, Mykonos and Naxos.
- We have also visited Paros before, but a very long time ago, and would certainly be open to returning there.
- We want to go somewhere new on this trip. Some places that sound lovely are Folegandros, Antiparos and Chania.
Our big issue is trying to figure out something that will work and fit in with ferry routes etc without too much backtracking.
We thought about Amorgos but ruled it out on the basis that it does not have as nice beaches as some of our other options (correct me if I am wrong).
We also ruled out Ios even though it seems like a handy stop-off on the ferry lines, on the basis that it might be too party-orientated and we could end up staying in a place full of nightclubbers who will be up all night, again this could be a very out-of-date impression of the island and I'm happy to be corrected here.
Some options seem to be:
Option 1 - fly to Chania for 5 nights, travel to Heraklion and get boat to Santorini for 5 nights, boat to Folegandros for 5 nights (not sure how we get back from Folegandros!)
Option 2 - fly to & from Santorini (5 nights) - Folegandros (5 or 6 nights) - Santorini different resort (4 or 5 nights) - this would be easy but probably not as interesting as we've been to Santorini a few times
Option 3 - fly to Santorini (5nights), boat to Paros 5 nights, Antiparos 5 nights, probably then have to boat back to Santorini and fly home from there, or boat / fly (?) from Paros to Athens and home from there
I'd love to hear your thoughts. Has anyone who been to both Folegandros and Antiparos, and if so which one did you prefer and why? I have heard great things about both of them over the years, but don't have any feel for which would be better for a small family on a summer holiday. It may all just come down to what will be the easiest / most practical in terms of the ferry. Any guidance on good ferry routes between any of those islands would be most welcome. And if I've missed anything obvious, please do say!!
Many thanks in advance
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 8 Hours in Rome
- 2 Charming areas to explore in London
- 3 Cornwall UK
- 4 San Gimignano area of Italy
- 5 Cordoba, Granada, Seville loop
- 6 credit and debit cards
- 7 Cinque Terre, Florence, Venice
- 8 I may be wrong....
- 9 Golf Partner in Istanbul
- 10 England + France 12-day itinerary
- 11 Italy trip with kids - planning help?
- 12 Cash machines ATM
- 13 Train up the Jungfrau
- 14 Morgan Hotel London for solo female
- 15 Trip to Czech Republic, Austria and Italy
- 16 travel around Spain
- 17 Help with Transportation Options in London
- 18 Travel from Florence, Italy to Munich, Germany
- 19 Late april early may or october for paris and italy?
- 20 Reviews of Paris restaurants: Tour d’Argent, Le Cinq, Ange20,...
- 21 New notes and coins and death dates for old ones
- 22 Tips / stops on drive from Munich, Fussen, Salzburg
- 23 Love buying beauty products to take back home? Here are the ones to avoid!
- 24 Stu Tower
- 25 BARCELONA! Tapas, tours & towers - flamenco, festas & food!