We plan to take a break in Europe en route to our final destination in Asia.
We plan to spend 10 nights in Germany & Switzerland combined.
We are renting a car from Frankfurt (as we will have luggage that we need for the rest of our trip in Asia), spending a night in Cochem, 5 nights in Lauterbrunnen before exploring Lucerne for 2 days and then heading into Germany's bavaria region before returning back to Frankfurt.
I am having trouble planning out our trip in Lucerne. We have essentially 2 days to spend in and around Lucerne. On day 1, we plan to go to mt. pilatus as well as visit Lucerne. On day 2, we will be taking a round trip boat ride to Brunnen/Fluelen (stopping for a couple of hours at either one of the 2 towns), before heading out of Switzerland (2.5 hour car ride into Germany).
My real dilemma is as follows.
It seems almost impossible to find a hotel in Lucerne that has parking. The handful that exist are out of our budget.
Since Lauterbrunnen in just an hour away from Lucerne, I am thinking that on day1, we can drive in directly from Lauterbrunnen to Kriens, park our car at the cable car station, do the Golden Round trip to Pilatus in the reverse and going to Lucerne at the end of the trip, spending a couple of hours in Lucerne and taking a bus back to Kriens. We then pick up our car and drive to Weggis where I find reasonable lodging options and especially conducive to our boat trip the following day. This way, we spend one affordable night in Weggis, to cover our 2 day trip around Lucerne.
So here are the questions, I am hoping to get some help
1. Can I park at the Kriens cable car station? Is the parking free or is there a charge (if so, how much approximately) and can I park there until we pick it up late evening.
2. I understand that Bus no 1 goes between Lucerne and Kriens. What is the frequency of this bus and how late is the last bus from Lucerne to Kriens
3. Can I purchase the golden round trip ticket, for all segments at once in Kriens, or do I have to purchase tickets separately at each point. Will my half fare card apply if I purchase seperately?
4. On day 2, should we try to squeeze in Rigi. Is it worth it, considering we would be in Lauterbrunnen prior and plan to visit Schlithorn and possibly one other peak.
5. We would like to spend a couple of hours at Brunnen OR Fluelen. Which one of them is a better option for a brief stop over?
6. Is Zug worth a couple of hours stop in the evening en route to Germany. I heard it is a very picturesque little town. If we had a couple of hours to spare on day 2, should we pick Rigi or Zug?
Looking forward for your responses and THANKS IN ADVANCE !!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help Planning Seot 2017 Trip to Andalusia
- 2 Questions about Polish sights
- 3 4 days itinerary for France
- 4 Ireland travel passport question
- 5 2 week trip to Lisbon, Porto, Douro, seeking input
- 6 Southern Germany - a base for travel
- 7 Polish: Enough Indo-European Similarity to Make Picking up Words Easier?
- 8 Ireland and Scotland in July
- 9 January Sicily and exploding cornetto al cioccolato
- 10 Itinerary help for first trip to Greece
- 11 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 12 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 13 Iceland Trip Report: 9 Days in May - non Ring Road!
- 14 Itinerary help needed: 10-11 days in Calabria, Siciily, and (maybe) Puglia
- 15 Flamenco in October
- 16 Greece-Paros or Meteora
- 17 Railpass or point-to-point tickets
- 18 Malaga - places to stay and eat
- 19 Northern Spain vs Portugal, where spend more time ?
- 20 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 21 Surprise trip to Greece!
- 22 Travelogue: Copenhagen with Kids
- 23 Stonehenge more accessible with group?
- 24 visiting #hallstatt #Austria
- 25 Rome, Florence and Venice for each city 2 days
Help needed for planning a non typical 2 day trip in and around Lucerne