Few questions regarding travel to the USA & Europe in the second half of 2014 regarding money.
We will be backpacking around both countries for a year are are trying to figure out the best form of money to take for each country. We are trying to hedge against the AUD dropping anymore as have budgeted it being at parity +/- 5% and the Euro being around $0.74.
1. Pre-paid Travel Cards
Are these widely accepted in the USA and Europe when booking hotels,hostels,tickets etc?
We know the exchange rate is poor and there is a risk it could be stolen and used as your name isn't on the card? Are there any with names on the card?
Also the withdrawal fees from ATM's are high but we can accept this if we are able to withdraw amounts greater than $1000 at one time ATM's in the USA and Europe...is that possible? We have heard most ATM's in USA don't allow large amounts to be withdrawn, not sure about Europe...
2. Travellers Cheques
We know this are old fashioned but we like the fact they are insured if stolen and we can take large amounts $10 000+. We know the exchange rate is average again but we would like to know if it's possible to cash travellers cheques overseas at American Express Travel Outlets for free? Are these outlets freely available across the USA and in Europe at all? Otherwise what price would I be looking at to cash travellers cheques?
3. 28 Degrees
We know this would be our first option if we could guarantee that the exchange rate won't keep dropping because of the many fees that aren't included with this card. We used this card for Asia placing cash on it before/as we went and withdraw cash from overseas. Therefore no ATM fees!
The real reason is we have most of the budgeted amount +50 000 AUD currently and want to be able to confirm the exchange rate and get as much as possible for our Australian dollar!
If you have any input or answers it would be greatly appreciated!
HELP - Money in Europe
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Should I buy Euro's now?
- 2 Open Jaw Ticket...NYC-LHR;FCO-NYC Cost
- 3 How tough are they with carry-ons for intra European flights?
- 4 How to decide where to go in Europe
- 5 Question: import tax on personal musical instruments?
- 6 22 days in Amsterdam, Germany, Austria and Switzerland
- 7 Train to Harry Potter Studio---Tips?
- 8 Greece after the Vote
- 9 Madrid hotel near Atocha Station
- 10 GuideAdvisor, beware!!
- 11 Heading off to our 18day Eurotrip soon - 3000€ for 2 people? Enough?
- 12 Recommendations for hotels in Helsinki
- 13 BOS - CDG airfare in late April?
- 14 Paris Apt Locations - Your Opinion on Apts
- 15 Italy/France Itinerary - What do You Think?
- 16 Destination Benson; help with 2 options, please
- 17 Satnav maps update
- 18 London Newport Court apartment rental advice
- 19 which is worse in july - rome or venice?
- 20 Ever Seen the 'Baked Bean' In London?
- 21 What else for kids to see/do near Guedelon?
- 22 Winter in europe - am I being too ambitious?
- 23 Toulouse, The Dordogne(based in Sarlat) and Paris
- 24 half day at Madrid Prado ?
- 25 mallorca