Few questions regarding travel to the USA & Europe in the second half of 2014 regarding money.
We will be backpacking around both countries for a year are are trying to figure out the best form of money to take for each country. We are trying to hedge against the AUD dropping anymore as have budgeted it being at parity +/- 5% and the Euro being around $0.74.
1. Pre-paid Travel Cards
Are these widely accepted in the USA and Europe when booking hotels,hostels,tickets etc?
We know the exchange rate is poor and there is a risk it could be stolen and used as your name isn't on the card? Are there any with names on the card?
Also the withdrawal fees from ATM's are high but we can accept this if we are able to withdraw amounts greater than $1000 at one time ATM's in the USA and Europe...is that possible? We have heard most ATM's in USA don't allow large amounts to be withdrawn, not sure about Europe...
2. Travellers Cheques
We know this are old fashioned but we like the fact they are insured if stolen and we can take large amounts $10 000+. We know the exchange rate is average again but we would like to know if it's possible to cash travellers cheques overseas at American Express Travel Outlets for free? Are these outlets freely available across the USA and in Europe at all? Otherwise what price would I be looking at to cash travellers cheques?
3. 28 Degrees
We know this would be our first option if we could guarantee that the exchange rate won't keep dropping because of the many fees that aren't included with this card. We used this card for Asia placing cash on it before/as we went and withdraw cash from overseas. Therefore no ATM fees!
The real reason is we have most of the budgeted amount +50 000 AUD currently and want to be able to confirm the exchange rate and get as much as possible for our Australian dollar!
If you have any input or answers it would be greatly appreciated!
HELP - Money in Europe
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Spain trip, 11 cities in 17 days? Please help with itinerary
- 2 Your favorite restaurants in Milan, please
- 3 Warsaw for the week-end / language question
- 4 Do trains run past midnight???
- 5 What Bus/buses
- 6 Gdansk & Baltic in October
- 7 How do you organize yourself on vacation?
- 8 great restaurant choice for normandy
- 9 Barcelona December 26, 2014 thru January 1, 2015
- 10 Which area in Venice for 3 nights
- 11 Flat in London -- South Lambeth or Paddington?
- 12 I was (partially) wrong about debit cards vs. cash
- 13 Ireland- Itinerary Planning Late September- 10 days
- 14 Solo trip to Sicily in December
- 15 London hotel tax is 20%
- 16 Ghent or Paris?
- 17 England in November - Comments on Itinerary?
- 18 Blackpool Lights 2014: Tripping the Lights Fantastic in Northern England!
- 19 guided tours at Prado and Granada
- 20 Need suggestions for 5 days Italy trip
- 21 Restaurants in Venice
- 22 Piedmont - Scenic Drive
- 23 September 2014 - Mykonos, Santorini, Athens!
- 24 Plaza on the River, London?
- 25 Where to go for 3 nights in northern Italy