I am planning a Slovenia & Croatia trip for September and am trying to figure out car rental logistics to avoid those hefty across the border charges. I will be near Postojna and want to get to Istria. I was thinking I could catch a train from Postojna to Opatija and rent another car to tour Istria and the hill towns. Does this seem reasonable? If I read the train schedules correctly, it appears there are 2 trains daily that go from Postojna to Opatija. If I caught the early one, I could be on my way with a rental before lunch. The goal would be to make it to Rovinj to stay the night. I'd like to travel on a Sunday. Will this make a difference? Please give me advice if this idea seems reasonable. Are there car rental companies available at the Opatija train station or will I have to go into town? How difficult is it to get from the train station to the city centre. Is there another option that would be more practical to travel from Slovenia to Istria?
Help me avoid the Slovenia/Croatia rental car problem!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 England sites not to miss
- 2 2 month backpacking though europe
- 3 17 amazing days in Tuscany, Positano and Rome – June 2014!
- 4 naples & pickpockets
- 5 What should we tip our tour guide?
- 6 to take cash from USA or from ATMs in France?
- 7 month's stay in Italy
- 8 Please help us maximize our time in each European city
- 9 Scotland day tour
- 10 Scotland trip report July 2014, chapter 1
- 11 Venice (Somewhere) and Trieste (Nowhere)—With a Bit of Slovenia In Between
- 12 Deciding between tour companies- Trafalgar vs Insight
- 13 Wine tour from Verona?
- 14 7 weeks Europe with toddler - Itinerary advice
- 15 Beach along The Seine in Paris
- 16 Where to stay in the french riviera?
- 17 Spain - Mallorca vs. Canary Islands
- 18 Sigh....Swiss Pass HELP!
- 19 Buying Train Tickets on line in advance of Trip to Italy
- 20 Struggling with Ireland itinerary - help finding off the beaten path gems!
- 21 TR: Solo in LONDON for ten days on unfinished business ...
- 22 Lucca, Italy - flea/antique market?
- 23 Granada: stay in the Albayzin?
- 24 UK in the Beginning of 2016
- 25 St. Katherine Dock area flat for first time visit?