Thank you all so very much in advance for your help in planning the most ideal itinerary for a scenic 7-8 days in Switzerland by train. I will be traveling to Switzerland for Baselworld in early May 2013, arriving in Zurich from Los Angeles. I am planning a 7-8 day vacation through Switzerland by train that must end in Geneva, as I will then be flying into Italy from GVA for a 10-11 day trip through Italy (Venice-Florence-Rome).
On this trip, I am NOT as interested in visiting the mountains, snow activities or hiking. This time I am most interested in exploring cities & old towns, scenic views, Swiss watchmaking (hence Baselworld), and Swiss chocolate/cheese production. Based on my online research thus far, it seems for my interests the best places to see between Zurich and Geneva are: Lucerne, Interlaken, Bern, Broc and Gruyere, but I am open to advice. I have also heard to minimize bases in favor of day trips, however, I am not in favor of back-tracking and hope to maximize my time by train. I am a solo American traveler on a somewhat economical budget for Swiss standards and unfortunately I do not speak much German or French. I am open to all suggestions, and here is my tentative itinerary so far:
Day 1: Evening arrival in Zurich (overnight stay in Zurich).
Day 2: Early morning train to Basel for Baselworld (return for overnight stay in Zurich).
Day 3: Explore Zurich.
Day 4: Early morning train to Lucerne, explore Lucerne for a few hours. Afternoon train to Bern with a stop in Interlaken, explore Interlaken for a few hours. Evening arrival in Bern; stay overnight in Bern.
Day 5: Explore Bern (overnight stay in Bern).
Day 6: Early morning train to Broc & Gruyere for tour of Chocolate/Cheese factories for a few hours. Afternoon train to Geneva (overnight stay in Geneva).
Day 7: Explore Geneva (second night in Geneva).
Day 8: Afternoon flight to Italy from GVA.
Thank you again!
Help! Itinerary for 7-8 days in Switzerland by train (Zurich to Geneva)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Will I be able to add minutes to the phone I bought in Spain 3 years ago?
- 2 Paris in April?
- 3 Mont St Michel
- 4 Apartment and Area to Stay in Istanbul
- 5 Vienna - stay near train station or Innere Stadt?
- 6 Hair Straightener for Europe!
- 7 York, Lakes District in early May good choice? Or Elsewhere?
- 8 Trip to Italy - please weigh in with suggestions and tips!!
- 9 Any suggestions for accomodations in Venice Italy mid June?
- 10 Bergamo/Bellagio - suggestions?
- 11 London hotel
- 12 30 Days in Europe - 29 y/o male
- 13 Transportation from Peisey Vallandry to Paris
- 14 England/Scotland/Wales Planning-Summr 2014
- 15 Day trip from London to Paris
- 16 Prague 3 nights - Top 10 things to do
- 17 Nuremburg and Bamberg from Munich
- 18 Paris airport shuttle recommendations
- 19 Cilento, Calabria and Basilicata: Help fill in a few blanks for us
- 20 Amsterdam -Belgium -Germany -Amsterdam
- 21 nearby cities to london
- 22 Ancient Corinth info needed.
- 23 Tickets to Sagrada Familia
- 24 A relaxing itinerary in the Basque country?
- 25 Prague, Austria and Germany in 17 days