Thank you all so very much in advance for your help in planning the most ideal itinerary for a scenic 7-8 days in Switzerland by train. I will be traveling to Switzerland for Baselworld in early May 2013, arriving in Zurich from Los Angeles. I am planning a 7-8 day vacation through Switzerland by train that must end in Geneva, as I will then be flying into Italy from GVA for a 10-11 day trip through Italy (Venice-Florence-Rome).
On this trip, I am NOT as interested in visiting the mountains, snow activities or hiking. This time I am most interested in exploring cities & old towns, scenic views, Swiss watchmaking (hence Baselworld), and Swiss chocolate/cheese production. Based on my online research thus far, it seems for my interests the best places to see between Zurich and Geneva are: Lucerne, Interlaken, Bern, Broc and Gruyere, but I am open to advice. I have also heard to minimize bases in favor of day trips, however, I am not in favor of back-tracking and hope to maximize my time by train. I am a solo American traveler on a somewhat economical budget for Swiss standards and unfortunately I do not speak much German or French. I am open to all suggestions, and here is my tentative itinerary so far:
Day 1: Evening arrival in Zurich (overnight stay in Zurich).
Day 2: Early morning train to Basel for Baselworld (return for overnight stay in Zurich).
Day 3: Explore Zurich.
Day 4: Early morning train to Lucerne, explore Lucerne for a few hours. Afternoon train to Bern with a stop in Interlaken, explore Interlaken for a few hours. Evening arrival in Bern; stay overnight in Bern.
Day 5: Explore Bern (overnight stay in Bern).
Day 6: Early morning train to Broc & Gruyere for tour of Chocolate/Cheese factories for a few hours. Afternoon train to Geneva (overnight stay in Geneva).
Day 7: Explore Geneva (second night in Geneva).
Day 8: Afternoon flight to Italy from GVA.
Thank you again!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 To Varenna from Milan Malpensa: By car or by train?
- 2 Iphone Charger in a Car in Europe?
- 3 Milan / Venice / Tuscany/ Barcelona
- 4 Prague Beyond the "Usual"
- 5 Auber metro station incident 27.08.16
- 6 Just booked Athens & Santorini
- 7 How many days in the cities of Bordeaux and la Rochelle?
- 8 Vizeat -- Anybody tried it?
- 9 Greece in 15 Days
- 10 Munich Travel Guide
- 11 Croatia-Slovenia- 30 days Road trip itinerary-2017
- 12 21 Days Family Trip Croatia-Budapest-Vienna-Prague-Munich
- 13 Planning Advice!
- 14 Paris Looses $846 Million in Tourism
- 15 Munich restaurant recs
- 16 tablet
- 17 Help with itinerary
- 18 When to go to Norway for a ski trip?
- 19 Help! Final Questions on Western Liguria (Riviera Ponente) & Menton!
- 20 Norway holiday locations
- 21 Tour ideas for Malaga, Spain
- 22 Age requirement for hotels in Europe
- 23 Trip 6 to Rome and Amalfi
- 24 Flamenco -Seville 8/18 to 8/24/16
- 25 Stu Dudley's Provence and French Riviera Itinerary
Help! Itinerary for 7-8 days in Switzerland by train (Zurich to Geneva)