Thank you all so very much in advance for your help in planning the most ideal itinerary for a scenic 7-8 days in Switzerland by train. I will be traveling to Switzerland for Baselworld in early May 2013, arriving in Zurich from Los Angeles. I am planning a 7-8 day vacation through Switzerland by train that must end in Geneva, as I will then be flying into Italy from GVA for a 10-11 day trip through Italy (Venice-Florence-Rome).
On this trip, I am NOT as interested in visiting the mountains, snow activities or hiking. This time I am most interested in exploring cities & old towns, scenic views, Swiss watchmaking (hence Baselworld), and Swiss chocolate/cheese production. Based on my online research thus far, it seems for my interests the best places to see between Zurich and Geneva are: Lucerne, Interlaken, Bern, Broc and Gruyere, but I am open to advice. I have also heard to minimize bases in favor of day trips, however, I am not in favor of back-tracking and hope to maximize my time by train. I am a solo American traveler on a somewhat economical budget for Swiss standards and unfortunately I do not speak much German or French. I am open to all suggestions, and here is my tentative itinerary so far:
Day 1: Evening arrival in Zurich (overnight stay in Zurich).
Day 2: Early morning train to Basel for Baselworld (return for overnight stay in Zurich).
Day 3: Explore Zurich.
Day 4: Early morning train to Lucerne, explore Lucerne for a few hours. Afternoon train to Bern with a stop in Interlaken, explore Interlaken for a few hours. Evening arrival in Bern; stay overnight in Bern.
Day 5: Explore Bern (overnight stay in Bern).
Day 6: Early morning train to Broc & Gruyere for tour of Chocolate/Cheese factories for a few hours. Afternoon train to Geneva (overnight stay in Geneva).
Day 7: Explore Geneva (second night in Geneva).
Day 8: Afternoon flight to Italy from GVA.
Thank you again!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 알라딘양방 ▣ 홈피: pwn22.com●가입코드:ctx20▶kakao:ctx2012
- 2 Paris advice with kids
- 3 Cycling Nice into Italy along the coast
- 4 Visiting Positano and Amalfi
- 5 Cap Ferrat, Antibe, Luberon?
- 6 8-days in Greece, Rhodes or Crete?
- 7 Worst flight booking with edreams
- 8 Paris travel help
- 9 Anyone stay at Homeaway: Villa Iride in Praiano, Amalfi Coast?
- 10 Time to tell on yourself (embarassing travel stories)
- 11 Allocating time in Barcelona - Gaudi tickets
- 12 Getting to Eilean Donan Castle
- 13 paris hotel easy commute to Palais de Congres
- 14 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Wine tours and Luberon Wine Producers
- 15 Lonely Planet‘s Best in Europe list-your thoughts please
- 16 8 days vacation to Switzerland & Austria
- 17 One night in the Dolomites
- 18 Favourite Alpine and Mediterranean place?
- 19 Airport Transit Visa
- 20 Ireland base towns (and timing) - Connemara/W. Cork?
- 21 Need advice on multi-day, multi-museum private tours in Paris
- 22 Where in Greece
- 23 Help with Scotland Itinerary
- 24 Vatican tour
- 25 Has the Paris Museum Pass lost its luster?
Help! Itinerary for 7-8 days in Switzerland by train (Zurich to Geneva)