Thank you all so very much in advance for your help in planning the most ideal itinerary for a scenic 7-8 days in Switzerland by train. I will be traveling to Switzerland for Baselworld in early May 2013, arriving in Zurich from Los Angeles. I am planning a 7-8 day vacation through Switzerland by train that must end in Geneva, as I will then be flying into Italy from GVA for a 10-11 day trip through Italy (Venice-Florence-Rome).
On this trip, I am NOT as interested in visiting the mountains, snow activities or hiking. This time I am most interested in exploring cities & old towns, scenic views, Swiss watchmaking (hence Baselworld), and Swiss chocolate/cheese production. Based on my online research thus far, it seems for my interests the best places to see between Zurich and Geneva are: Lucerne, Interlaken, Bern, Broc and Gruyere, but I am open to advice. I have also heard to minimize bases in favor of day trips, however, I am not in favor of back-tracking and hope to maximize my time by train. I am a solo American traveler on a somewhat economical budget for Swiss standards and unfortunately I do not speak much German or French. I am open to all suggestions, and here is my tentative itinerary so far:
Day 1: Evening arrival in Zurich (overnight stay in Zurich).
Day 2: Early morning train to Basel for Baselworld (return for overnight stay in Zurich).
Day 3: Explore Zurich.
Day 4: Early morning train to Lucerne, explore Lucerne for a few hours. Afternoon train to Bern with a stop in Interlaken, explore Interlaken for a few hours. Evening arrival in Bern; stay overnight in Bern.
Day 5: Explore Bern (overnight stay in Bern).
Day 6: Early morning train to Broc & Gruyere for tour of Chocolate/Cheese factories for a few hours. Afternoon train to Geneva (overnight stay in Geneva).
Day 7: Explore Geneva (second night in Geneva).
Day 8: Afternoon flight to Italy from GVA.
Thank you again!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Best boutique hotel in London for honeymoon
- 2 Coastal daytrip from Dartmoor Park
- 3 Champs Elysee: worth an afternoon or too tacky?
- 4 Andalucia Spain
- 5 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 6 Anyone have a pocket wifi for international travel?
- 7 Bastille Day Fireworks, Paris
- 8 8 days in Ireland -- where to go??!!
- 9 Barcelona - places to stay
- 10 What's the hotel policy regarding bringing in guests to your room?
- 11 My delightful sampling of Switzerland’s gems, with many thanks
- 12 2 days in Amsterdam after river cruise
- 13 Bus Nice Airport to Frejus
- 14 Christmas Markets 2017
- 15 Language to use in Belgium
- 16 Private Ephesus Tour Companies
- 17 Istanbul at Easter
- 18 Paris and England, 14 days on the ground
- 19 Palermo Apartment
- 20 Please help 21 day driving tour Wales & Southern England Sept 2017
- 21 SURPRISE TRIP
- 22 Swiss Trains not on time and boats not run at all - great time
- 23 What's it like staying in a big agriturismo-like complex?
- 24 Fueled by gluten, caffeine, and alcohol - two weeks in France
- 25 Postcards from Retirement - the Britan 2017 Edition
Help! Itinerary for 7-8 days in Switzerland by train (Zurich to Geneva)