Thank you all so very much in advance for your help in planning the most ideal itinerary for a scenic 7-8 days in Switzerland by train. I will be traveling to Switzerland for Baselworld in early May 2013, arriving in Zurich from Los Angeles. I am planning a 7-8 day vacation through Switzerland by train that must end in Geneva, as I will then be flying into Italy from GVA for a 10-11 day trip through Italy (Venice-Florence-Rome).
On this trip, I am NOT as interested in visiting the mountains, snow activities or hiking. This time I am most interested in exploring cities & old towns, scenic views, Swiss watchmaking (hence Baselworld), and Swiss chocolate/cheese production. Based on my online research thus far, it seems for my interests the best places to see between Zurich and Geneva are: Lucerne, Interlaken, Bern, Broc and Gruyere, but I am open to advice. I have also heard to minimize bases in favor of day trips, however, I am not in favor of back-tracking and hope to maximize my time by train. I am a solo American traveler on a somewhat economical budget for Swiss standards and unfortunately I do not speak much German or French. I am open to all suggestions, and here is my tentative itinerary so far:
Day 1: Evening arrival in Zurich (overnight stay in Zurich).
Day 2: Early morning train to Basel for Baselworld (return for overnight stay in Zurich).
Day 3: Explore Zurich.
Day 4: Early morning train to Lucerne, explore Lucerne for a few hours. Afternoon train to Bern with a stop in Interlaken, explore Interlaken for a few hours. Evening arrival in Bern; stay overnight in Bern.
Day 5: Explore Bern (overnight stay in Bern).
Day 6: Early morning train to Broc & Gruyere for tour of Chocolate/Cheese factories for a few hours. Afternoon train to Geneva (overnight stay in Geneva).
Day 7: Explore Geneva (second night in Geneva).
Day 8: Afternoon flight to Italy from GVA.
Thank you again!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris Oct 31-Nov 4
- 2 Italy Trip- Venice, Rome, Florence, Cinque Terre, Amalfi Coast
- 3 What kind of tea can i choose in afternoon tea in France?
- 4 Supplements in Carry on bag
- 5 Lake District: HF Holiday houses Derwent Bank and Monk Coniston
- 6 Criss-crossing the Camino: 5 weeks in Northern Spain (and a bit of France)
- 7 Iceland photo tour- any tips?
- 8 What experiences were most memorable for your kids?
- 9 Restaurant suggestions in Bologna
- 10 Norther Spain first Iteniary
- 11 Lake Como - Luzern - Germany (need help) - Amsterdam
- 12 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 13 Villa Honegg: an insider's tip for the Central Switzerland
- 14 Azores v. north coastal Portugal-Best use of time between Lisbon and Porto
- 15 Car service from Vienna Airport
- 16 LeHavre to Rennes/St. Malo?
- 17 Chania Crete -apartment or home stay
- 18 Europe First Timers
- 19 Photography gear for Rome and Venice
- 20 Navigation Decouverte cards never expire; right? Wrong!
- 21 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 22 Funniest of Fodor Threads
- 23 Iceland for Nine Days
- 24 Classical or choral or sacred music venues in Rome
- 25 which train from Gatwick? And rental car pickup
Help! Itinerary for 7-8 days in Switzerland by train (Zurich to Geneva)