Thank you all so very much in advance for your help in planning the most ideal itinerary for a scenic 7-8 days in Switzerland by train. I will be traveling to Switzerland for Baselworld in early May 2013, arriving in Zurich from Los Angeles. I am planning a 7-8 day vacation through Switzerland by train that must end in Geneva, as I will then be flying into Italy from GVA for a 10-11 day trip through Italy (Venice-Florence-Rome).
On this trip, I am NOT as interested in visiting the mountains, snow activities or hiking. This time I am most interested in exploring cities & old towns, scenic views, Swiss watchmaking (hence Baselworld), and Swiss chocolate/cheese production. Based on my online research thus far, it seems for my interests the best places to see between Zurich and Geneva are: Lucerne, Interlaken, Bern, Broc and Gruyere, but I am open to advice. I have also heard to minimize bases in favor of day trips, however, I am not in favor of back-tracking and hope to maximize my time by train. I am a solo American traveler on a somewhat economical budget for Swiss standards and unfortunately I do not speak much German or French. I am open to all suggestions, and here is my tentative itinerary so far:
Day 1: Evening arrival in Zurich (overnight stay in Zurich).
Day 2: Early morning train to Basel for Baselworld (return for overnight stay in Zurich).
Day 3: Explore Zurich.
Day 4: Early morning train to Lucerne, explore Lucerne for a few hours. Afternoon train to Bern with a stop in Interlaken, explore Interlaken for a few hours. Evening arrival in Bern; stay overnight in Bern.
Day 5: Explore Bern (overnight stay in Bern).
Day 6: Early morning train to Broc & Gruyere for tour of Chocolate/Cheese factories for a few hours. Afternoon train to Geneva (overnight stay in Geneva).
Day 7: Explore Geneva (second night in Geneva).
Day 8: Afternoon flight to Italy from GVA.
Thank you again!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Amsterdam Festival of LIghts
- 2 q/微956290760办毕业证成绩单教育部学历认证、回国证明迪肯/墨大/USYD/UTS/RMIT/MQ等
- 3 Puglia & Matera in photos
- 4 The Princess Diaries: My Three Week Odyssey In Poland And Romania
- 5 3 nights in St Petersburg, 3 in Moscow, Private tour vs. Group?
- 6 Visiting Europe for 1 week: Prague or Rome?
- 7 Flights from Croatia
- 8 Visiting Spain in January
- 9 Swiss trains/Basel to Zurich
- 10 Best European Cities for Walking Challenged
- 11 The Shocking Truth About Elastin In Skin !
- 12 London in a Nutshell! - Travel Report
- 13 Will I need air conditioning near Lucca in early July?
- 14 Bologna, Florence, Venice 5 days
- 15 English Countryside
- 16 Stay in Multalcino or Montepulciano
- 17 What to wear visiting England and France during winter?
- 18 Europe in late January
- 19 Looking for the Holy Grail... in a Tour of Italy
- 20 Cote d'Azure & Aix In need of your expertise-10 days in May
- 21 Sent a postcard recently from Italy?
- 22 Getting from Ljubljana to Plitvice Lakes
- 23 Europe in the Winter for a week
- 24 Paris---baguette question???
- 25 Suggestions for Drive to Milan
Help! Itinerary for 7-8 days in Switzerland by train (Zurich to Geneva)