Thank you all so very much in advance for your help in planning the most ideal itinerary for a scenic 7-8 days in Switzerland by train. I will be traveling to Switzerland for Baselworld in early May 2013, arriving in Zurich from Los Angeles. I am planning a 7-8 day vacation through Switzerland by train that must end in Geneva, as I will then be flying into Italy from GVA for a 10-11 day trip through Italy (Venice-Florence-Rome).
On this trip, I am NOT as interested in visiting the mountains, snow activities or hiking. This time I am most interested in exploring cities & old towns, scenic views, Swiss watchmaking (hence Baselworld), and Swiss chocolate/cheese production. Based on my online research thus far, it seems for my interests the best places to see between Zurich and Geneva are: Lucerne, Interlaken, Bern, Broc and Gruyere, but I am open to advice. I have also heard to minimize bases in favor of day trips, however, I am not in favor of back-tracking and hope to maximize my time by train. I am a solo American traveler on a somewhat economical budget for Swiss standards and unfortunately I do not speak much German or French. I am open to all suggestions, and here is my tentative itinerary so far:
Day 1: Evening arrival in Zurich (overnight stay in Zurich).
Day 2: Early morning train to Basel for Baselworld (return for overnight stay in Zurich).
Day 3: Explore Zurich.
Day 4: Early morning train to Lucerne, explore Lucerne for a few hours. Afternoon train to Bern with a stop in Interlaken, explore Interlaken for a few hours. Evening arrival in Bern; stay overnight in Bern.
Day 5: Explore Bern (overnight stay in Bern).
Day 6: Early morning train to Broc & Gruyere for tour of Chocolate/Cheese factories for a few hours. Afternoon train to Geneva (overnight stay in Geneva).
Day 7: Explore Geneva (second night in Geneva).
Day 8: Afternoon flight to Italy from GVA.
Thank you again!
Help! Itinerary for 7-8 days in Switzerland by train (Zurich to Geneva)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Advice for budget trip to Venice, espec trains & Groupons
- 2 Croatia in August - 2 weeks, 2 kids
- 3 Bavaria & Dolomites
- 4 Golfing in Ireland
- 5 Foie gras, redux
- 6 Italy-Rome-Florence-Venice-CT-PievePelego-Help with order of travel
- 7 Short-stay apartment in Italy -- common practices?
- 8 Travel over Col du Puymorens and lunch.
- 9 Train to Airport in Venice
- 10 Ireland 8 day Itinerary help
- 11 Hire car seville to lisbon
- 12 Livorno to Florence from cruise ship
- 13 Turin: Have you used the Torino+Piemonte card?
- 14 Nice, Avignon, St Remy and Toulouse trip report.
- 15 We saw a fox on Great Ormond St (and other sights up and down the Thames)
- 16 Help with Itinerary please!!!!
- 17 Prague, Budapest & Croatia +Krakow?
- 18 Florence & Rome Itinerary, hotel, tour co. critique please!
- 19 Airport to Piraeus
- 20 Trieste and Koper
- 21 Springtime in Paris with lots of restaurant reviews and a bit of Alsace
- 22 Paris 3 days and then to Burgundy for 2 weeks: Car?
- 23 Very early departure from Istanbul airport
- 24 What still confounds you about travel?
- 25 SmartPhone Europe to USA