Thank you all so very much in advance for your help in planning the most ideal itinerary for a scenic 7-8 days in Switzerland by train. I will be traveling to Switzerland for Baselworld in early May 2013, arriving in Zurich from Los Angeles. I am planning a 7-8 day vacation through Switzerland by train that must end in Geneva, as I will then be flying into Italy from GVA for a 10-11 day trip through Italy (Venice-Florence-Rome).
On this trip, I am NOT as interested in visiting the mountains, snow activities or hiking. This time I am most interested in exploring cities & old towns, scenic views, Swiss watchmaking (hence Baselworld), and Swiss chocolate/cheese production. Based on my online research thus far, it seems for my interests the best places to see between Zurich and Geneva are: Lucerne, Interlaken, Bern, Broc and Gruyere, but I am open to advice. I have also heard to minimize bases in favor of day trips, however, I am not in favor of back-tracking and hope to maximize my time by train. I am a solo American traveler on a somewhat economical budget for Swiss standards and unfortunately I do not speak much German or French. I am open to all suggestions, and here is my tentative itinerary so far:
Day 1: Evening arrival in Zurich (overnight stay in Zurich).
Day 2: Early morning train to Basel for Baselworld (return for overnight stay in Zurich).
Day 3: Explore Zurich.
Day 4: Early morning train to Lucerne, explore Lucerne for a few hours. Afternoon train to Bern with a stop in Interlaken, explore Interlaken for a few hours. Evening arrival in Bern; stay overnight in Bern.
Day 5: Explore Bern (overnight stay in Bern).
Day 6: Early morning train to Broc & Gruyere for tour of Chocolate/Cheese factories for a few hours. Afternoon train to Geneva (overnight stay in Geneva).
Day 7: Explore Geneva (second night in Geneva).
Day 8: Afternoon flight to Italy from GVA.
Thank you again!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Driving in Sicily: Help!
- 2 Path of the gods.
- 3 Ferries from Santorini to Folegandros
- 4 Greek language app for Microsoft phone?
- 5 Can't we Fodorites be kinder in our responses, especially to new posters?
- 6 KNOWL and/or CHARTWELL in Kent from London by train?
- 7 Help with hotel choice in BRUGES please!!
- 8 Cheltenham or Moreton-in-Marsh?
- 9 Swiss Pass upgrade for a route
- 10 Modica or Noto? So difficult to decide!
- 11 Where can I buy Euro night train tickets with e tickets?
- 12 Santorini
- 13 Venice Restaurant on Easter Sunday?
- 14 BritRail Pass Seat Reservation Cost
- 15 Sicily car rental: pickup, drop off, and size
- 16 10 days in eastern Sicily - itinerary help needed
- 17 Itinerary Help For Switzerland And Lakes Region Of Italy
- 18 Visiting Turkey for Fun and Adventure, Oasis or Chaos
- 19 Itinerary help needed for month in France.
- 20 Tours start Switzerland end London
- 21 Please help with transportation suggestions in Belgium
- 22 Europe Trip 22 year olds
- 23 Help with Sapin and Portugal itinerary please
- 24 St. Petersburg: 5 days / Itineray questions
- 25 Southern Spain Recs for Honeymooners?
Help! Itinerary for 7-8 days in Switzerland by train (Zurich to Geneva)