Thank you all so very much in advance for your help in planning the most ideal itinerary for a scenic 7-8 days in Switzerland by train. I will be traveling to Switzerland for Baselworld in early May 2013, arriving in Zurich from Los Angeles. I am planning a 7-8 day vacation through Switzerland by train that must end in Geneva, as I will then be flying into Italy from GVA for a 10-11 day trip through Italy (Venice-Florence-Rome).
On this trip, I am NOT as interested in visiting the mountains, snow activities or hiking. This time I am most interested in exploring cities & old towns, scenic views, Swiss watchmaking (hence Baselworld), and Swiss chocolate/cheese production. Based on my online research thus far, it seems for my interests the best places to see between Zurich and Geneva are: Lucerne, Interlaken, Bern, Broc and Gruyere, but I am open to advice. I have also heard to minimize bases in favor of day trips, however, I am not in favor of back-tracking and hope to maximize my time by train. I am a solo American traveler on a somewhat economical budget for Swiss standards and unfortunately I do not speak much German or French. I am open to all suggestions, and here is my tentative itinerary so far:
Day 1: Evening arrival in Zurich (overnight stay in Zurich).
Day 2: Early morning train to Basel for Baselworld (return for overnight stay in Zurich).
Day 3: Explore Zurich.
Day 4: Early morning train to Lucerne, explore Lucerne for a few hours. Afternoon train to Bern with a stop in Interlaken, explore Interlaken for a few hours. Evening arrival in Bern; stay overnight in Bern.
Day 5: Explore Bern (overnight stay in Bern).
Day 6: Early morning train to Broc & Gruyere for tour of Chocolate/Cheese factories for a few hours. Afternoon train to Geneva (overnight stay in Geneva).
Day 7: Explore Geneva (second night in Geneva).
Day 8: Afternoon flight to Italy from GVA.
Thank you again!
Help! Itinerary for 7-8 days in Switzerland by train (Zurich to Geneva)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Hotel and activity recommendations in Basque Region??
- 2 Rome 2015- A Spring Break Adventure!
- 3 Netherlands-Belgium-Northern France Itinerary Help
- 4 Visiting Exciting Turkey in the Throes of Restoration
- 5 Berlin Itinerary
- 6 Flamenco show- madrid or seville?
- 7 Croatia hotel and itinerary help (8 days, 7 nights in Sep)
- 8 Good car rental with http://www.budget-athens.gr
- 9 Help on Norway please - too much to cover too little time.
- 10 Possible London GTG between April 28/May1
- 11 Best way to get from Athens to Naples & rec for Greek Isles & Amalfi Coast
- 12 Calling out to all Spain lovers! 2 weeks in mid Sep - need some new ideas!
- 13 Help with driving suggestions in Delphi.
- 14 Rome - A Couple of Questions
- 15 Where to stay two nights before flying from Heathrow?
- 16 Planning a week in London
- 17 TR: Solo in LONDON for ten days on unfinished business ...
- 18 French Government Endorses Airbnb in Paris...
- 19 Barcelona and Road Trip to Southern France
- 20 Help with Greece Itinerary for Honeymoon!
- 21 When to buy train tickets to Budapest and Prague from Vienna
- 22 Day on the Rhine
- 23 Please help me give good travel advice
- 24 Places for Solo Traveling Near Paris
- 25 Portugal with children