Thank you all so very much in advance for your help in planning the most ideal itinerary for a scenic 7-8 days in Switzerland by train. I will be traveling to Switzerland for Baselworld in early May 2013, arriving in Zurich from Los Angeles. I am planning a 7-8 day vacation through Switzerland by train that must end in Geneva, as I will then be flying into Italy from GVA for a 10-11 day trip through Italy (Venice-Florence-Rome).
On this trip, I am NOT as interested in visiting the mountains, snow activities or hiking. This time I am most interested in exploring cities & old towns, scenic views, Swiss watchmaking (hence Baselworld), and Swiss chocolate/cheese production. Based on my online research thus far, it seems for my interests the best places to see between Zurich and Geneva are: Lucerne, Interlaken, Bern, Broc and Gruyere, but I am open to advice. I have also heard to minimize bases in favor of day trips, however, I am not in favor of back-tracking and hope to maximize my time by train. I am a solo American traveler on a somewhat economical budget for Swiss standards and unfortunately I do not speak much German or French. I am open to all suggestions, and here is my tentative itinerary so far:
Day 1: Evening arrival in Zurich (overnight stay in Zurich).
Day 2: Early morning train to Basel for Baselworld (return for overnight stay in Zurich).
Day 3: Explore Zurich.
Day 4: Early morning train to Lucerne, explore Lucerne for a few hours. Afternoon train to Bern with a stop in Interlaken, explore Interlaken for a few hours. Evening arrival in Bern; stay overnight in Bern.
Day 5: Explore Bern (overnight stay in Bern).
Day 6: Early morning train to Broc & Gruyere for tour of Chocolate/Cheese factories for a few hours. Afternoon train to Geneva (overnight stay in Geneva).
Day 7: Explore Geneva (second night in Geneva).
Day 8: Afternoon flight to Italy from GVA.
Thank you again!
Help! Itinerary for 7-8 days in Switzerland by train (Zurich to Geneva)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Spain, Summer 2014 Itinerary Suggestions
- 2 Champagne, Chocolates and Christmas, but no Chanel - Paris and Alsace
- 3 Our Brief Bavarian Break: Christmas Markets
- 4 1st time in Paris - apartment advice
- 5 Budget Trip to Europe | 22, 23-yr old | June 2015
- 6 Airport bus Bilbao to San Sebastian and back
- 7 Where to stay Venice, Cinque Terre, Florence, Siena, and Rome.
- 8 Italy trip questions
- 9 Huge New 5,000 Year Old Underground City Excavated in Cappadocia
- 10 Suggestion for travel memories
- 11 Would you recommend Sicily only or Puglia also for a 14-day trip?
- 12 Italy/Austria/Germany/France
- 13 Truffles, Tajarin & Turin…Two weeks in the Piemonte Region of Italy
- 14 Two Weeks in Italy: Umbria, Tuscany, Piedmont Itinerary Help
- 15 Budget family trip to Europe
- 16 From Paris to Bruselas-Amsterdam-London
- 17 Pyrenees logistics
- 18 FCO-area hotel advice, family of 4 with young children
- 19 Italy
- 20 Azores
- 21 How highly would you prioritize Portugal?
- 22 Honeymoon in the Alps (with skiing)
- 23 8 Days in Switzerland for the non skier
- 24 Driving in Italy
- 25 Andalucia by car or train???? please help