Thank you all so very much in advance for your help in planning the most ideal itinerary for a scenic 7-8 days in Switzerland by train. I will be traveling to Switzerland for Baselworld in early May 2013, arriving in Zurich from Los Angeles. I am planning a 7-8 day vacation through Switzerland by train that must end in Geneva, as I will then be flying into Italy from GVA for a 10-11 day trip through Italy (Venice-Florence-Rome).
On this trip, I am NOT as interested in visiting the mountains, snow activities or hiking. This time I am most interested in exploring cities & old towns, scenic views, Swiss watchmaking (hence Baselworld), and Swiss chocolate/cheese production. Based on my online research thus far, it seems for my interests the best places to see between Zurich and Geneva are: Lucerne, Interlaken, Bern, Broc and Gruyere, but I am open to advice. I have also heard to minimize bases in favor of day trips, however, I am not in favor of back-tracking and hope to maximize my time by train. I am a solo American traveler on a somewhat economical budget for Swiss standards and unfortunately I do not speak much German or French. I am open to all suggestions, and here is my tentative itinerary so far:
Day 1: Evening arrival in Zurich (overnight stay in Zurich).
Day 2: Early morning train to Basel for Baselworld (return for overnight stay in Zurich).
Day 3: Explore Zurich.
Day 4: Early morning train to Lucerne, explore Lucerne for a few hours. Afternoon train to Bern with a stop in Interlaken, explore Interlaken for a few hours. Evening arrival in Bern; stay overnight in Bern.
Day 5: Explore Bern (overnight stay in Bern).
Day 6: Early morning train to Broc & Gruyere for tour of Chocolate/Cheese factories for a few hours. Afternoon train to Geneva (overnight stay in Geneva).
Day 7: Explore Geneva (second night in Geneva).
Day 8: Afternoon flight to Italy from GVA.
Thank you again!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 블랙잭카지노价/ / UＴR74。ＣＯＭ / /价블랙잭카지노
- 2 Barcelona in 2 Days
- 3 Costa Brava - In 7 Days Suggestions
- 4 Scandinavia Trip in August
- 5 Do Franprix or Monoprix stores offer delivery services?
- 6 First Trip To Spain, 10 day Itinerary
- 7 How would you spend 4 nights/3days on Lake Como?
- 8 Pegontheroad in eastern Europe
- 9 Northern Italy - Milan or Italian Lake District
- 10 Our Paris plans
- 11 Iceland
- 12 Scandinavian and Baltic Adventure - our trip report
- 13 Is my itinerary the Best of Switzerland?
- 14 Perpignan - 2 Nights
- 15 Venice water buses
- 16 Where to go in Southern Italy in December?
- 17 Milan, Venice, Bellagio, Piedmont wine country, a day in the Cinque Terre
- 18 Travel tips for Budapest-July 2016
- 19 2 days in Alsace
- 20 Spain
- 21 Oh no, yet another Alhambra ticket-timing question
- 22 Brugges to Bayeux to Versailles
- 23 Where to go after Romania...or should I spend whole trip there?
- 24 Barcelona Itinerary
- 25 Itinerary help for Bavaria
Help! Itinerary for 7-8 days in Switzerland by train (Zurich to Geneva)