Thank you all so very much in advance for your help in planning the most ideal itinerary for a scenic 7-8 days in Switzerland by train. I will be traveling to Switzerland for Baselworld in early May 2013, arriving in Zurich from Los Angeles. I am planning a 7-8 day vacation through Switzerland by train that must end in Geneva, as I will then be flying into Italy from GVA for a 10-11 day trip through Italy (Venice-Florence-Rome).
On this trip, I am NOT as interested in visiting the mountains, snow activities or hiking. This time I am most interested in exploring cities & old towns, scenic views, Swiss watchmaking (hence Baselworld), and Swiss chocolate/cheese production. Based on my online research thus far, it seems for my interests the best places to see between Zurich and Geneva are: Lucerne, Interlaken, Bern, Broc and Gruyere, but I am open to advice. I have also heard to minimize bases in favor of day trips, however, I am not in favor of back-tracking and hope to maximize my time by train. I am a solo American traveler on a somewhat economical budget for Swiss standards and unfortunately I do not speak much German or French. I am open to all suggestions, and here is my tentative itinerary so far:
Day 1: Evening arrival in Zurich (overnight stay in Zurich).
Day 2: Early morning train to Basel for Baselworld (return for overnight stay in Zurich).
Day 3: Explore Zurich.
Day 4: Early morning train to Lucerne, explore Lucerne for a few hours. Afternoon train to Bern with a stop in Interlaken, explore Interlaken for a few hours. Evening arrival in Bern; stay overnight in Bern.
Day 5: Explore Bern (overnight stay in Bern).
Day 6: Early morning train to Broc & Gruyere for tour of Chocolate/Cheese factories for a few hours. Afternoon train to Geneva (overnight stay in Geneva).
Day 7: Explore Geneva (second night in Geneva).
Day 8: Afternoon flight to Italy from GVA.
Thank you again!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Rome to venice
- 2 Help please
- 3 Frustrated about Smolensk
- 4 Perugia
- 5 Weighing hand luggage at CDG security now
- 6 One Month in Italy - Where would you base yourself?
- 7 Itinerary Advice London and Paris with 2 Adults 2 Children (7 and 8.5)
- 8 St Denis Cathedral
- 9 Flying into London and Flying out of Edinburgh
- 10 Can I do Stonehenge and Bath from Isle of Wight in 1 day?
- 11 Looking for a unique 3 days in Venice
- 12 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 13 Day trip to Lake Como from Milan
- 14 Parma, Reggio or Modena for a year?
- 15 Two weeks in Italy flying in and out of Milan
- 16 CDG much improved
- 17 Praiano
- 18 Day trips to Windsor Castle and Hampton Court from London
- 19 Best way from London to Gatwick these days?
- 20 Aix-- looking for a few obscure ideas
- 21 Norway fjord
- 22 Travelogue: Norway with kids (Bergen & Fjord)
- 23 Proposed itinerary for Iceland
- 24 Americans moving to Europe - Suggestions?
- 25 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
Help! Itinerary for 7-8 days in Switzerland by train (Zurich to Geneva)