My boyfriend and I will be traveling to Switzerland April 27-May 4, 2011. We both love being in the countryside (not big city people), hiking, castles, adventure sports, etc. We would like to see as much as possible in this limited time, but have read that it is best to have two bases. We are definitely planning three days in the Berner Oberland area. I've read in other posts that some cogwheel trains are going to be closed from the 25th-30th. Due to this reason I'm thinking we should do the Berner Oberland area last. Which leads me to the question of where our second base should be. My first thought is Vevey (interested in Château de Chillon), but not sure what else would be best for us to see in that area. Our other thought based on reading other posts, and Rick Steves is Lucerne. Any thoughts you can provide on this would be greatly appreciated!
Help choosing our two base areas
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 London tube
- 2 London hotel
- 3 7 days in Greece
- 4 Budapest 4 nights - Top 10 must do
- 5 A Win At the Arc and Discovering Lisbon
- 6 How to get from Greenwich to Victoria Station
- 7 Yearly Greece visitor looking for different island
- 8 Nairn to Edinburgh to home - route and where to stay
- 9 Hotel in Venice
- 10 Need to visit a hospital in Athens
- 11 Tours For Young Professionals Other Than Contiki
- 12 Help with Barcelona Plans Please!
- 13 Last day in Italy with kids, Bologna or Venice?
- 14 A little help with our Dordogne itinerary
- 15 Siena or Bologna day trip from Florence?
- 16 We saw London, we saw France as well as The Netherlands and Belgium
- 17 Maitaitom & Tracy's Romantic 20th Anniversary Paris 2014 Trip In September
- 18 Barcelona to SW France to Madrid in 10 days
- 19 Berlin/Prague Itinerary Too Much, Too Little?
- 20 Summarizing my Renfe train ticket before purchase for Madrid to Cordoba
- 21 50 and Fabulous in 2015---need help planning my trip to Amalfi, FINALLY
- 22 Bordeaux, Burgundy & Paris recommendations
- 23 GRAUBUNDEN: exploring Pontresina, Sils, Poschiavo, Zernez, Guarda, Scuol
- 24 Day trip from London to Paris
- 25 iDTGV Sales Open Today for Travel through September 11, 2014