My husband and I will be visiting England in June 2017. We have one extra night in our itinerary and we'd like to stay the night in a castle hotel. We are trying to choose between Thornbury Castle and Augill Castle. We will have a rental car.
If we choose Thornburry, we'd be coming from Bath. Staying for 1 night at Thornbury Castle and then going on to Ludlow.
If we choose Augill Castle, we'd be coming from the Lake District. Staying for 1 night at Augill Castle and then going on to York.
Originally we wanted to stay at Swinton Park Castle but unfortunately the night we wanted to stay, the castle is already booked for an exclusive wedding.
We've read many reviews and looked at photos - both Thornbury and Augill seem very nice. Seems like Augill is more of a B&B style castle, while Thornbury is more luxory-style? Are there any other opinions or pieces of advice that you can offer to help us make this decision? Or any other castle hotels we might want to consider? (We were looking at Ruthin Castle as well...but narrowed it down to Thornburry and Augill).
Things that are important to us for an overnight castle stay: Overall look of the exterior castle and traditional castle-style bedroom - we really want to feel like we are staying in an old castle.
Thanks for any help!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Give 2 1/2 Days to Porto or 1 1/2 Days with Day Trip to Coimbra?
- 2 Just the wine list please and Daisy came too.
- 3 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 4 Lodging in Lauterbrunnen and Grindenwald in October
- 5 Question about Loire Valley châteaux
- 6 Belgium Itinerary
- 7 Driving through Paris
- 8 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 9 Can parking
- 10 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 11 Spanish Medical Providers
- 12 Ambitious 1st time trip through Europe whilst pregnant??
- 13 Barcelona - Safety/Language/Trip Ideas
- 14 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg
- 15 Zurich to Milan trip
- 16 Electrical Power Conversion
- 17 Arenalullring area Seville?
- 18 Need help with Honeymoon - Italy, Slovenia, Croatia
- 19 Amalfi Coast Apartment in October -- mobility an issue
- 20 First - but not last - trip to Greece
- 21 wondering if this trip too ambitious
- 22 italy Cinque Terre
- 23 Solo accommodation -- London -- Dec 19-ish
- 24 Day Trips from Kaiserslautern During Winter Holidays?
- 25 Bruges