My husband and I will be visiting England in June 2017. We have one extra night in our itinerary and we'd like to stay the night in a castle hotel. We are trying to choose between Thornbury Castle and Augill Castle. We will have a rental car.
If we choose Thornburry, we'd be coming from Bath. Staying for 1 night at Thornbury Castle and then going on to Ludlow.
If we choose Augill Castle, we'd be coming from the Lake District. Staying for 1 night at Augill Castle and then going on to York.
Originally we wanted to stay at Swinton Park Castle but unfortunately the night we wanted to stay, the castle is already booked for an exclusive wedding.
We've read many reviews and looked at photos - both Thornbury and Augill seem very nice. Seems like Augill is more of a B&B style castle, while Thornbury is more luxory-style? Are there any other opinions or pieces of advice that you can offer to help us make this decision? Or any other castle hotels we might want to consider? (We were looking at Ruthin Castle as well...but narrowed it down to Thornburry and Augill).
Things that are important to us for an overnight castle stay: Overall look of the exterior castle and traditional castle-style bedroom - we really want to feel like we are staying in an old castle.
Thanks for any help!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Mantova, Ravenna, Ferrara fall 2017?
- 2 Semana Santa Other than Sevilla
- 3 14 days end to end London Heathrow
- 4 3-days Athens Itinerary, thoughts? Starting this Wednesday!
- 5 help with Italy itinerary
- 6 yk's 12 days in Spain by herself Trip Report
- 7 Praiano
- 8 Looking for a unique 3 days in Venice
- 9 AVE Train Advice from Madrid to Barcelona
- 10 One Month in Italy - Where would you base yourself?
- 11 Chamonix to Paris
- 12 Can I do Stonehenge and Bath from Isle of Wight in 1 day?
- 13 Rome-Itinerary
- 14 How long from Heathrow to Isle of Wight
- 15 Good location for Paris apartment?
- 16 Scotland and London 21 days
- 17 Rome to venice
- 18 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 19 Is there a Limit to time spent at Eiffel Tower
- 20 Advice 10 day Itinerary Ireland
- 21 8-9 day Paris-Amsterdam-Rome
- 22 Ireland itinerary help please
- 23 Frustrated about Smolensk
- 24 madrid-san sebastian-barcelona
- 25 May/June 2016 - Switzerland, Germany, and Austria - Hiking Included