My husband and I will be visiting England in June 2017. We have one extra night in our itinerary and we'd like to stay the night in a castle hotel. We are trying to choose between Thornbury Castle and Augill Castle. We will have a rental car.
If we choose Thornburry, we'd be coming from Bath. Staying for 1 night at Thornbury Castle and then going on to Ludlow.
If we choose Augill Castle, we'd be coming from the Lake District. Staying for 1 night at Augill Castle and then going on to York.
Originally we wanted to stay at Swinton Park Castle but unfortunately the night we wanted to stay, the castle is already booked for an exclusive wedding.
We've read many reviews and looked at photos - both Thornbury and Augill seem very nice. Seems like Augill is more of a B&B style castle, while Thornbury is more luxory-style? Are there any other opinions or pieces of advice that you can offer to help us make this decision? Or any other castle hotels we might want to consider? (We were looking at Ruthin Castle as well...but narrowed it down to Thornburry and Augill).
Things that are important to us for an overnight castle stay: Overall look of the exterior castle and traditional castle-style bedroom - we really want to feel like we are staying in an old castle.
Thanks for any help!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Springtime (Hopefully) in Copenhagen
- 2 Madrid Hotel; Europa, Preciados or Petit Palace Posada de Peine?
- 3 How early in the spring to visit London & England?
- 4 Transferring from LCY to LHR . PLEASE HELP
- 5 Driving from Munich to Barcelona
- 6 Provence best farmstays!!??
- 7 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 8 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 9 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 10 Madrid airport question
- 11 Overnight in Montpellier?
- 12 June Festivals in Lisbon?
- 13 4 Nights - Bern/Grindelwald / Interlaken / Lucerne
- 14 question on Barcelona itinerary
- 15 Imbros Gorge
- 16 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 17 4 Days In Northern Italy advice
- 18 Suggestions needed for our trip to Austria & Switzerland in October
- 19 Sunday and Monday in Provence area
- 20 Alitalia - Groundhog Day?
- 21 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 22 Corpus Christi in Toledo?
- 23 38 Days in Paris
- 24 Croatia Itinerary help for 13 days in September 2017
- 25 Places to cover in Switzerland in 8-9 days & then 5-6 days in Austria